Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club

No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon beach???

Aug 29, 2012

Hi,

Just a question to all who have stayed at Ko Olina. I noticed when looking at all the beach photos, I would see lots of recliners and never a single sun umbrella. Then I found out that umbrellas are "banned" on the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon beach. I couldn't believe it, how is that supposed to work for families that have a child under 1 yr old for example who really need a place in shade? Or adults who for various reasons simply can't sit in the open sun?

So I called the Ko Olina security office (Marriott informed me it's not really their policy but the Ko Olina assocation or whatever), and they said some years ago an umbrella went flying and hit a little girl, so they banned them all. Now I don't know the particulars of this incident and hopefully it wasn't tragic, but come on, when a kid slips on the pool decking and cuts his head, is the pool forever closed to future guests? Costco now sells Tommy Bahama umbrellas that have a corkscrew-like bottom pole that is designed to prevent the flyaway umbrellas. Wouldn't that be sufficient? And if you're not going to allow guests to bring their own beach umbrellas, for God's sake at least provide sturdy weighted umbrellas to guests that aren't able to sit in the open sun.

Sorry for the long winded way to ask if anyone has had problems on the beach here with the "no umbrella" policy?

Randy H.
Sep 30, 2013

Randy, Sorry it has taken so long for you to get an answer. I just saw your question and thought you should have an answer.

I have been around Ko Olina since a time when the JW Marriott was the only place, no time shares, hotels or condos.

The answer you received is not true. Everything maki (toward the water) is the responsibility of the Ko Olina association, not the resorts. If the lie you were told was true, why would they have left the same umbrellas in place at lagoon 2.

The truth is that the Ko Olina association, if they will admit it, got into a disagreement with Marriott and they dug up the umbrellas for spite. Since Marriott has no interest at lagoon 2, they left those umbrellas. Basically, the Ko Olina association took their toys an went home.

There have been other such incidents between the two over the years.

The original roof color on the first building at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club was green, like aged copper. The KOA made them change the color to brown because it didn't fit the style or look the KOA wanted. Fast worward several years when Disney came to town. Disney's monstrosity doesn't even come close to fitting in with the surrounding buildings, but Disney had a lot of money and got whatever they wanted.

Just a little history you wont get from the Ko Olina Association.

James W.
Feb 20, 2014

Yes, it boils down to money which Marriott is not willing to pay. They have had a lot of disagreements over the years. The same thing happened when they severed their relationship with American Airlines in 2010. They were the only hotel chain that did this and it was because Marriott wasn't willing to pay the price that the other hotel chains did for AAdvantage miles (they are now back in.) So we, the owners and guests have to suffer for their spats.

C. G.
Feb 20, 2014

We SO agree with you! We have been owners here for many years and we have begged Marriott to get umbrellas because we can't be in the sun. There is no shade on the beach so we simply have to avoid it. We know they could accomplish umbrellas if they really tried, because Disney has tons of umbrellas on Lagoon #1 for their guests, as well as beach activities which Marriott does not have. They blame the developer but that is not true because again, Disney has all these things. Marriott needs to do something about this and try to accommodate the people who can't take full sun all day. They just allow the locals to come in and take over the resort (which Disney does not allow) and don't care about serious issues like these.

C. G.
Feb 27, 2014

One more addition. If you are willing to pay for a cabana, they "discourage" you from moving the cabanas at different angles to avoid the sun. I rent a cabana to avoid the sun, so that makes no sense! I believe they are more interested in aesthetics than the health of their guests.

Trudy S.
Jul 12, 2014

What happens if you take an umbrella to the beach and turn your cabana away from the sun?

Darlyne S.
Dec 16, 2014

I was told in an owner meeting that the developer controls the beach and they are not allowing the umbrellas. They made an exception for Disney and gave them anything they wanted to get them to build here. Disney didn't need Ko'Olina, Ko'Olina needed Disney.

Donna H.
Jul 03, 2022

What about umbrellas that attach to your beach chair they're not normal size umbrellas I've read the rules and they say no normal size umbrellas

Michael B.

Last edited by michaelb2758 on Jul 03, 2022 04:35 AM

Jan 05, 2024

Sitting on Marriott beach. Been a deeded owner since 1997. Used our umbrellas for a long time. Was just told, even though we have an anchor for it, we must take it down.

Given the cost. This is totally unacceptable. Especially knowing Disney has theirs, and so does the Four Seasons.

Simply unacceptable!

Philip F.
Jan 05, 2024

We just left Marriott Ko'Olina and there are lots of loungers on the beach with umbrellas but you have to rent them.

Donna H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.