Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Living in a timeshare rental

Dec 26, 2016

I went to a timeshare presentation with Intervals International and they said if I owned one of their timeshares I could stay in any hotel in their chain for $299pw for as many weeks a year as I liked.

I'm wondering, if I bought a timeshare off Redweek and paid the maintenance fees, could I live in various hotels in their chain paying just $299 per week indefinitely. It would be less than I'm paying now to rent an apartment.

What are the risks? What other factors do I need to consider?

Bob B.
Dec 26, 2016

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet............new , but ridiculous. As far as buying one (anywhere) you would be subject to MF's, a never ending cycle of rising MF's, plus as always it is subject to availabilities. Most TS wouldn't give you enough points to get onto a hotel unless you paid thru the nose for a high end TS. Do your self a favor pay the rent, unless you have a unlimited amount of money, and don't care if you never own anything. At 300.00 a week for a hotel(if you could get one) after just one year, you could either buy or have really nice down payment on a home.

William P.

Last edited by williamp511 on Dec 26, 2016 06:35 AM

Jan 09, 2017

bobb975 wrote:
I went to a timeshare presentation with Intervals International and they said if I owned one of their timeshares I could stay in any hotel in their chain for $299pw for as many weeks a year as I liked.

I'm wondering, if I bought a timeshare off Redweek and paid the maintenance fees, could I live in various hotels in their chain paying just $299 per week indefinitely. It would be less than I'm paying now to rent an apartment.

What are the risks? What other factors do I need to consider?

For starters, Interval International (a company owned by Interval Leisure Group) is merely a timeshare exchange company. They neither own nor sell ANY timeshares. They allow their members (who must ALREADY own a timeshare at a II-affiliated property in order to to join II in the first place) to deposit and exchange owned timeshare weeks (for a fee to II, of course) and they certainly have no "hotels" whether "in their chain" or otherwise.

I have no idea on earth who you actually met with, but it certainly was NOT Interval International --- and whatever fairy tales the mystery entity may have told you were exactly that --- fairy tales. Surely this mystery outfit was looking for you to "buy in" to SOMETHING --- what kind of money were they looking to extract from you for this alleged "privilege"?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 09, 2017 08:40 AM

Jan 12, 2017

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum. It is so interesting here guys.

Mary W.
Jan 17, 2017

I'm also new and reading these posts have me rethinking my decision on buying a timeshare.

LaKrischa F.
Jan 17, 2017

As well you should. Time sharing is not for everyone, with a life time (or until you get rid of it) of MF's. That will only go up. If you feel that you still might want to own rent first, find a resort you would go back to yr. after yr. Pick one that would appeal to others, so renting would be a possibility. The most important one is NEVER BUY AT DEVELOPER PRICES........buy resale, save some bucks. Use the resale's on sites here, TUG, and similar sites. I'd be cautious of sites Craig's list, or e-bay. Both of these sites you definitely need to do your home work. Not to say they don't prove out , but there is more of a chance for scammers. Using the different sites you can find people so hard pressed and ready to throw in the towel you will find them for free, or just to pay closing and transfer costs. There again rent first or possibly rent the ones you might be interested in. TS is not for everyone, go in with your eyes open, ask questions...

William P.

Last edited by williamp511 on Jan 18, 2017 06:04 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.