Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

why you can not pay via credit card?

Feb 28, 2019

It seems that paying via a cashier's check for the second half of a timeshare rental fee when you have nothing in hand to guarantee you are getting something is a mistake. I asked for an explanation of why you are not allowed to pay via credit card (where I do have some insurance) and was given a very short, nasty response by First American "because that's our policy".

Can anyone tell me why you can not pay via credit card? Is this typical? I have never taken a vacation and had anyone tell me I have to pay "cash" for a travel expense.

On a side note, the owner we are dealing with is very good. Certainly no complaints there.

Mixvi B.
Mar 01, 2019

mixvib wrote:
It seems that paying via a cashier's check for the second half of a timeshare rental fee when you have nothing in hand to guarantee you are getting something is a mistake. I asked for an explanation of why you are not allowed to pay via credit card (where I do have some insurance) and was given a very short, nasty response by First American "because that's our policy".

Can anyone tell me why you can not pay via credit card? Is this typical? I have never taken a vacation and had anyone tell me I have to pay "cash" for a travel expense.

On a side note, the owner we are dealing with is very good. Certainly no complaints there.

I can't and won't speak for First American, but will note that your "insurance" if using a credit card is actually a risk for the other side, since any credit card charge can always be disputed (even several weeks after successful completion of a rental). Even if a credit card dispute is ultimately found to be without any validity or any basis and the "complainant" loses the dispute, weeks and weeks will have passed before the timeshare owner receives his / her final payment (for a rental that may have been completed a month ago by then).

In short, I personally agree 100% with a "no credit cards for final payment" policy in any rental transaction. Your perspective is solely that of a tenant, but there is another perspective on this matter too, which is that of the timeshare owner.

Just sayin'...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 02, 2019 07:20 AM

Mar 01, 2019

Having First American as your escrow company is your insurance. There job is to only pay the owner if the reservation is available as advertised and to return your money if not.

Tracey S.
Mar 01, 2019

Hi There!

We have contacted First American and they have assured me that they do absolutely take credit cards for the remainder of the balance. If you would be kind enough to email your First American file number and rental information to support@redweek.com, we will reach out to the manager at First American and ask them to review your communication.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.