Timeshare Companies

Marriott System

Oct 16, 2006

Marriott has treated us so well, that we own 3 weeks within their system. Last year when the hurricane prevented us from using our week at Ocean Point, they called and offered us another week at another resort. Maybe this was a marketing ploy, but we chose Palm Desert Shadow Ridge. Loved it and bought. They treated us right. Their point system offers flexibility and you can always depend on quality.

Wonet K.
Nov 16, 2006

We love our week at Ko Olina on Oahu. It is a fabulous resort made even better by the attentive and friendly staff. Our exchange experience has been very positive as well. The "lock off" units make for a tremendous trade, especially for our Hawaii property. My wife (who is in the travel biz with Expedia.com) and I have attended MANY a time share presentation. The best by far was and is Marriott. The product speaks for itself; no pressure required.

Jason W.
Nov 16, 2006

I am considering buying Marriott (re-sale). What is this ROFR right of first refusal situation??

Pam C.
Nov 17, 2006

pcaskey wrote:
I am considering buying Marriott (re-sale). What is this ROFR right of first refusal situation??

well, you should check with your resale company for details, but as a Marriott timeshare owner, I know we were told that Marriott has first right of refusal (as in, they get first shot at buying back a timeshare week) when an owner wants to sell.

Patti R.
Nov 19, 2006

jasonw34 wrote:
We love our week at Ko Olina on Oahu. It is a fabulous resort made even better by the attentive and friendly staff. Our exchange experience has been very positive as well. The "lock off" units make for a tremendous trade, especially for our Hawaii property. My wife (who is in the travel biz with Expedia.com) and I have attended MANY a time share presentation. The best by far was and is Marriott. The product speaks for itself; no pressure required.

we own the a penthouse week at Ko Olina, if we don't want to go there next year, what is our best option. do we seperate the lockoff or rent the whole unit? what if we want to trade. is our best market through marriot interval international?

Bryce B.
Dec 03, 2006

Re: ROFR it is a moot point because either way you sell your share!

Chris

Chris F.
Dec 10, 2006

bryceb wrote:
jasonw34 wrote:

we own the a penthouse week at Ko Olina, if we don't want to go there next year, what is our best option. do we seperate the lockoff or rent the whole unit? what if we want to trade. is our best market through marriot interval international?

We exchanged/banked our lock off last year and were able to get a two bedroom, 3 bath villa in Nuevo Vallarta this summer. It was a great trade and allowed us to use our main unit. I would think you could rent the main unit and bank/exchange the lock off for later use.

Jason W.
Dec 14, 2006

We are original timeshare owners a the Palm Desert Desert Springs. Our share is in Phase I. This is probably the best timeshare buy anywhere.

If you buy a Phase I timeshare resale from Marriott, you get free use of their fabulous Spa there. If you buy it from anyone else, or buy any other phase, you don't get this perk given to original owners.

Carrie S.
Dec 14, 2006

bryceb wrote:
jasonw34 wrote:

Trade the lock-off. So far, we have done very well with Interval/Marriott Vacation club.

Carrie S.
Dec 28, 2006

We are considering purchasing a resale Marriott unit in South Carolina during the Bronze off-season. What is the likelyhood of trading this annually for another week during red season at this or another Marriott resort?

Mike R.
Jan 01, 2007

(Re: message deleted. Rats! I never get the good gossip any more. hahahahaha)

We have had good success in trading our lock-off. We just got back from a great week at San Luis Bay Inn in Avila (pronounce it aah'-vuh-luh, like a local) Beach. A lovely, romantic weekend. There's surfing, horse-back riding. Local day trips, super food, fishing (BIG fishing), and lots more.

For a local Californian, this was a big surprise.

Carrie S.
Jan 28, 2007

bryceb wrote:
jasonw34 wrote:

Carol B.
Jan 29, 2007

If you buy on the resale market instead of from Marriott you loose the 24 day exlusion that gives Marriott owners the first choice of 45 other Marriott units when a Marriott owner deposits and prevents the 1.5 million other Interval International owners from getting a marriott timeshare until the Marriott owners have 1st choice. This can be worth it's weight in gold if you exchange frequently to hard to get places. You also do not receive the Marriott Rewards Point system which allows you to give Marriott your unit for that year and receive Marriott Reward Points that trades for Marriott hotels, cruises, airfare, spa treatments, car rentals, Disney tickets and more. And be careful that the maintenace fees have been paid and there is no problem with the title. Several resale sites also say they offer you Marriott Reward Points when you buy from them and this is not true. Remember that there are 3 seasons usually called High, Medium and Low Demand. It can be very hard to exchange a low or medium season to a high demand unit and where you own determines your tradability. Two the the highest demand areas are Las Vegas and Hawaii. The Hawaii timeshare are a lot more expensive than Las Vegas. Let me know if you need any more help.

Chuck E.
Feb 07, 2007

Any thoughts about buying (from Marriott) in Orlando (Horizons) during high or red season and exchanging through Marriott to high demand areas such as Aruba, Hawaii, or Vegas? My kids will too old in a few years so my wife and I won't be going to the Horizon, which is for families with young children, for long. Does Orlando exchange well with Aruba and Hawaii? Thanks

William L.
Feb 08, 2007

williaml168 wrote:
Any thoughts about buying (from Marriott) in Orlando (Horizons) during high or red season and exchanging through Marriott to high demand areas such as Aruba, Hawaii, or Vegas? My kids will too old in a few years so my wife and I won't be going to the Horizon, which is for families with young children, for long. Does Orlando exchange well with Aruba and Hawaii? Thanks

We bought at Horizons several years ago - high season - and have never stayed there; always exchanged w/o problem through Interval. This year we will be staying at Horizons for the first time w/our grandchildren and look forward to it. We have traded for HI, Breckenridge, CO, West Palm Beach, FL, etc....w/o problem....be warned Aruba is their fastest mover - you will not be able to get in Aruba on an exchange unless you are willing to go during the summer, maybe. We've been to Aruba twice and rented direct through RedWeek.com because we couldn't get an exchange during Jan.-Mar. time period.

Val K.
Feb 13, 2007

We have recently purchased on the resale market a 3 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau, Las Vegas week. Would someone be so kind to let us know if they have experienced any difficulty exchanging Marriott weeks that were purchased on the resale market. We would like to know if we should anticipate difficulty making exchanges with this property to desirable locations, such as Hawaii.

Charles G.
Feb 16, 2007

williaml168 wrote:

We just bought in January at the Marriott Surf Club in Aruba and asked the same question you are asking. We were advised that the best way to do it was to buy Aruba and trade to Orlando - would be worth it to pay the higher Aruba cost even if you don't go there for a few years because of young children, high prices etc. Will be easier to get into Orlando than trade to a beach property such as Aruba.

Seems to make sense but we'll see....

Nancy L.
Feb 17, 2007

chucke13 wrote:
If you buy on the resale market instead of from Marriott you loose the 24 day exlusion that gives Marriott owners the first choice of 45 other Marriott units when a Marriott owner deposits and prevents the 1.5 million other Interval International owners from getting a marriott timeshare until the Marriott owners have 1st choice. This can be worth it's weight in gold if you exchange frequently to hard to get places. You also do not receive the Marriott Rewards Point system which allows you to give Marriott your unit for that year and receive Marriott Reward Points that trades for Marriott hotels, cruises, airfare, spa treatments, car rentals, Disney tickets and more. And be careful that the maintenace fees have been paid and there is no problem with the title. Several resale sites also say they offer you Marriott Reward Points when you buy from them and this is not true. Remember that there are 3 seasons usually called High, Medium and Low Demand. It can be very hard to exchange a low or medium season to a high demand unit and where you own determines your tradability. Two the the highest demand areas are Las Vegas and Hawaii. The Hawaii timeshare are a lot more expensive than Las Vegas. Let me know if you need any more help.

Chuck, are you certain about people buying on the resale market that they loose the 24 day exclusion? I have been reading about this alot, and this is the first I am hearing about this.

David W.
Feb 18, 2007

what are contact numbers to buy resale from Marriot. I am new but interested in timeshare, Westin in Rancho Mirage as well as Marriott Desert Springs are constantly inviting me to their resorts?????

Howard E.
Feb 18, 2007

howarde9 wrote:
what are contact numbers to buy resale from Marriot. I am new but interested in timeshare, Westin in Rancho Mirage as well as Marriott Desert Springs are constantly inviting me to their resorts?????
I suspect you can call the resort and ask who is handling resales for Marriott. Are the invitations to the Desert Springs a freebie for a sales pitch? Call them and ask if they are selling resales (since the project is built out). If not, ask who is selling for Marriott.

Being direct and clear about what you want is the best way, I find, to find out what you want to know.

Carrie S.

Last edited by carries25 on Feb 18, 2007 06:59 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.