Timeshare Companies

Marriott System

Mar 04, 2007

carries25 wrote:
We are original timeshare owners a the Palm Desert Desert Springs. Our share is in Phase I. This is probably the best timeshare buy anywhere.

If you buy a Phase I timeshare resale from Marriott, you get free use of their fabulous Spa there. If you buy it from anyone else, or buy any other phase, you don't get this perk given to original owners.

Carrie, you have a great deal! My wife and I visited the property, and while we didn't buy, I can understand why you will want to hold onto it. Chuck

Charles G.
Mar 15, 2007

chucke13 wrote:
If you buy on the resale market instead of from Marriott you loose the 24 day exlusion that gives Marriott owners the first choice of 45 other Marriott units when a Marriott owner deposits and prevents the 1.5 million other Interval International owners from getting a marriott timeshare until the Marriott owners have 1st choice. This can be worth it's weight in gold if you exchange frequently to hard to get places. You also do not receive the Marriott Rewards Point system which allows you to give Marriott your unit for that year and receive Marriott Reward Points that trades for Marriott hotels, cruises, airfare, spa treatments, car rentals, Disney tickets and more. And be careful that the maintenace fees have been paid and there is no problem with the title. Several resale sites also say they offer you Marriott Reward Points when you buy from them and this is not true. Remember that there are 3 seasons usually called High, Medium and Low Demand. It can be very hard to exchange a low or medium season to a high demand unit and where you own determines your tradability. Two the the highest demand areas are Las Vegas and Hawaii. The Hawaii timeshare are a lot more expensive than Las Vegas. Let me know if you need any more help.

A: Chucke13 are you sure about the info regarding the 24 day exclusion? That is contrary to information I received from Interval International and doesn't make sense logically (why would Marriott not want give MVCI purchasers preferential access to rooms purchased in the after market?). Also, my experience with Marriott points is that they are of limited value. If you don't believe me try to go to the Marriott website and book locations and dates that are desirable. Also, are you a MVCI employee or related to one?

Joseph R.
Mar 27, 2007

carries25 wrote:
We are original timeshare owners a the Palm Desert Desert Springs. Our share is in Phase I. This is probably the best timeshare buy anywhere.

If you buy a Phase I timeshare resale from Marriott, you get free use of their fabulous Spa there. If you buy it from anyone else, or buy any other phase, you don't get this perk given to original owners.

Not sure where you got the idea that only original owners have the use of the hotel facilities. I bought Villas 1 on the secondary market and have full access.

Julie V.
Mar 27, 2007

anewcastle4u wrote:
carries25 wrote:

Not sure where you got the idea that only original owners have the use of the hotel facilities. I bought Villas 1 on the secondary market and have full access.

I meant the spa specifically, which is free for I owners via Marriott. All other have access, but pay the going rate.

C.

Carrie S.
Mar 27, 2007

carries25 wrote:
anewcastle4u wrote:
carries25 wrote:

I meant the spa specifically, which is free for I owners via Marriott. All other have access, but pay the going rate.

C.

Julie V.
Mar 27, 2007

carries25 wrote:
anewcastle4u wrote:
carries25 wrote:

C.

FYI... I too meant the spa. The resale came with access to it all.

Julie V.
Jul 03, 2007

I am considering selling our 3 bdrm MGC and was wondering what I should know about this from someone who recently bought. How did you find a price that you thought was right? What systems (internet?) did you look at to find a seller? Any other advise would be helpful.

Thank, Gary

chuckg21 wrote:
We have recently purchased on the resale market a 3 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau, Las Vegas week. Would someone be so kind to let us know if they have experienced any difficulty exchanging Marriott weeks that were purchased on the resale market. We would like to know if we should anticipate difficulty making exchanges with this property to desirable locations, such as Hawaii.

GaryDouglas
Jul 04, 2007

garyk11 wrote:
I am considering selling our 3 bdrm MGC and was wondering what I should know about this from someone who recently bought. How did you find a price that you thought was right? What systems (internet?) did you look at to find a seller? Any other advise would be helpful.

Thank, Gary

chuckg21 wrote:
We have recently purchased on the resale market a 3 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau, Las Vegas week. Would someone be so kind to let us know if they have experienced any difficulty exchanging Marriott weeks that were purchased on the resale market. We would like to know if we should anticipate difficulty making exchanges with this property to desirable locations, such as Hawaii.
HI Chuck, I exchanged my Marriott's OceanWatch platinum season last year and got Kop Olina 2 bdr in July trough Interval International. The fact that you bought a resale makes no difference what so ever. It depends on how early you deposit your week & what season you own. If you own platinum you have obliviously more chances on obtained high demand months. Also keep in mind that you have better chances in getting your week if you deposit your unit as opposed to doing a request first.(a request fist means that Interval will use your week only if they find something you wan, if not you still get to use your week). I have a lady that I call when using Interval Marriot's help desk, she is super great. She knows her stuff & is very professional. I believe her name is Mila. you can contact her at 1800-822-2920 ext 8807. Her office hours are from am-Pam Monday to Friday. If she is on an other call leave her a message & she usually calls right back. I also exchanged 2 studios at Marriott's Ocean Pointe 2 weeks ago. One of them was immediately confirmed for a studio at Marriott Ko Olina next July. The other is still pending. The thing about exchanges is that you have to try & give as many dates & places as possible . It's a little frustrating if you try to exchange for one specific week in the year at one specific place. When exchanging a Marriott's unit you have priority on being confirmed in a Marriott's. this really is a huge advantage on owners of other resorts that want to trade for Marriott's. I also did trade often for Aruba & other places. The one I was never able to obtain is Atlantis in Bahamas 2 bdr unit. Well I hope this was helpful. Sandra

Sandy P.
Jul 05, 2007

Thanks, Sandra, for a really helpful post.

--Another happy Marriott Owner

Carrie S.
Jul 05, 2007

garyk11 wrote:

Thank, Gary

chuckg21 wrote:

I will try to answer the original question, then the post which followed it.

My wife and I purchased 4 Mariott timeshare villas on the resale market in the past two years. Two were at Marriott Ocean Point (West Palm Beach, Florida) and the other two were at Marriott Grande Ocean in Hilton Head, SC.

We located all these units on Redweek.com and sent emails, through Redweek, to the person advertising on Redweek. These advertisers responded quickly and answered all of our questions. The Ocean Pointe properties were listed by a realtor on Redweek. The properties at Hilton Head were listed by the owner.

We followed spoke with the realtor and owner before making our final decision. In our opinion, the closings all went well and we were satisfied with the way all transactions were handled.

We are entitled to all rights of MVCI owners who purchased from Marriott, except that we are not able to deposit our week with Marriott for Marriott Reward Points. We still collect Marriott Reward Points, but by staying at other Marriott hotel properties and by using a Marriott credit card.

We have been able to exchange our timeshare week at West Palm Beach through Interval International for a week at Marriott Newport Coast, Mariott Grande Ocean, Marriott Barony Beach and Marriott Cypress Harbour in Orlando. We have been very happy with Interval International and they have helped us on two occasions where we had to back away from an exchange at the last minute.

When I have deposited a Marriott week with Interval, I also received a bonus week in addition to the week that would replace the one I was trading; i.e., two for one. There are some additional charges and restrictions with the bonus week, but we used it to send out family to a 2 BR villa at a Marriott in Orlando for 4th of July week last year for $299. I don't know if the bonus week applies to all Marriott properties or all seasons.

Hope this info helps both of you.

Tim

Timothy S.
Jul 05, 2007

josephr90 wrote:
chucke13 wrote:
If you buy on the resale market instead of from Marriott you loose the 24 day exlusion that gives Marriott owners the first choice of 45 other Marriott units when a Marriott owner deposits and prevents the 1.5 million other Interval International owners from getting a marriott timeshare until the Marriott owners have 1st choice. This can be worth it's weight in gold if you exchange frequently to hard to get places. You also do not receive the Marriott Rewards Point system which allows you to give Marriott your unit for that year and receive Marriott Reward Points that trades for Marriott hotels, cruises, airfare, spa treatments, car rentals, Disney tickets and more. And be careful that the maintenace fees have been paid and there is no problem with the title. Several resale sites also say they offer you Marriott Reward Points when you buy from them and this is not true. Remember that there are 3 seasons usually called High, Medium and Low Demand. It can be very hard to exchange a low or medium season to a high demand unit and where you own determines your tradability. Two the the highest demand areas are Las Vegas and Hawaii. The Hawaii timeshare are a lot more expensive than Las Vegas. Let me know if you need any more help.

A: Chucke13 are you sure about the info regarding the 24 day exclusion? That is contrary to information I received from Interval International and doesn't make sense logically (why would Marriott not want give MVCI purchasers preferential access to rooms purchased in the after market?). Also, my experience with Marriott points is that they are of limited value. If you don't believe me try to go to the Marriott website and book locations and dates that are desirable. Also, are you a MVCI employee or related to one?

I agree with the person who sent the answer to the question.

I own 4 Marriott timeshare villas which I purchased on the resale market. It is my understanding that I get the same priority as all other Marriott timeshare owners with regard to exchanges of my villas through Interval International. I have had this clarified with a Marriott employee while staying at a Marriott timeshare and by an Intervel International employee who specializes in Marriott properties. However, because I purchased my villas on the resale market, I am not permitted to deposit my week with Marriott for Marriott Rewards points.

We are still members of the Marriott Rewards program and use other means to accumulate points; by using the Marriott Visa card and by staying at Marriott hotels when we travel.

Tim

Timothy S.
Jul 07, 2007

sandram156 wrote:
garyk11 wrote:

Thank, Gary

chuckg21 wrote:
HI Chuck, I exchanged my Marriott's OceanWatch platinum season last year and got Kop Olina 2 bdr in July trough Interval International. The fact that you bought a resale makes no difference what so ever. It depends on how early you deposit your week & what season you own. If you own platinum you have obliviously more chances on obtained high demand months. Also keep in mind that you have better chances in getting your week if you deposit your unit as opposed to doing a request first.(a request fist means that Interval will use your week only if they find something you wan, if not you still get to use your week). I have a lady that I call when using Interval Marriot's help desk, she is super great. She knows her stuff & is very professional. I believe her name is Mila. you can contact her at 1800-822-2920 ext 8807. Her office hours are from am-Pam Monday to Friday. If she is on an other call leave her a message & she usually calls right back. I also exchanged 2 studios at Marriott's Ocean Pointe 2 weeks ago. One of them was immediately confirmed for a studio at Marriott Ko Olina next July. The other is still pending. The thing about exchanges is that you have to try & give as many dates & places as possible . It's a little frustrating if you try to exchange for one specific week in the year at one specific place. When exchanging a Marriott's unit you have priority on being confirmed in a Marriott's. this really is a huge advantage on owners of other resorts that want to trade for Marriott's. I also did trade often for Aruba & other places. The one I was never able to obtain is Atlantis in Bahamas 2 bdr unit. Well I hope this was helpful. Sandra
Dear Sandra, thank you for sharing that. Its good to know that there is no difference in the trading power whether the week was purchased resale or retail. A Marriott sales associate once indicated that a resale would be treated as a non-Marriott property and would therefore have less priority then other Marriott owners who purchased retail. Chuck

Charles G.
Jul 07, 2007

garyk11 wrote:

Thank, Gary

chuckg21 wrote:
Gary, before I purchased on the resale market I learned during a sales presentation that the retail price for an every other year 3-bedroom was selling for $21,540 retail. Since I wasn't particularly concerned with trading the unit for Marriott reward points being that it was an every other year usage week, and knew we would be using the unit in Las Vegas or for exchanges because Vegas has high demand, I decided to check the resale market. I knew about Redweek and sure enough I saw two listings for every other year 3-bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau weeks. One seller was listing their week for $19,000 and the oter was listing one for $14,900. I contacted the seller via email who was selling their unit for $14,900 and was able to negotiate the sale for $14,000. However, I do own two other Marriott weeks retail at another resort and have found that the Marriott reward point program has great purchasing power to recoup your investment over time if you ever do decide to buy retail. In the meantime, check out Redweek sales listings for resale prices and contact a sales representative at the resort to find out what the current retail prices are going for for comparison. Chuck

Charles G.

Last edited by chuckg21 on Jul 07, 2007 11:35 PM

Jul 08, 2007

we own 2bd / 2 bt at aruba surf club, using it in a couple of weeks. we want to trade out for soemthing else next yr.

so, is it easier to use II, or try to find another MVCI owner and trade wit them directly. If the answer is an owner directly.....ow do I find owners???????

New at this so be nice to the newbie!

Robert S.
Jul 08, 2007

Why don't you try depositing it with Redweek?

roberts693 wrote:
we own 2bd / 2 bt at aruba surf club, using it in a couple of weeks. we want to trade out for soemthing else next yr.

so, is it easier to use II, or try to find another MVCI owner and trade wit them directly. If the answer is an owner directly.....ow do I find owners???????

R P.
Jul 08, 2007

jayjay- ok, I deposit with redweek...then? Do I pick another resort? they tell me what's available, or what?

Robert S.
Jul 08, 2007

roberts693 wrote:

If you look at your resort page on Redweek.com, you can see options to rent, purchase or exchange a week at that timeshare. So, one of your options is to place your future week up for rent or offer it for exchange and ask for something in a location you would like to visit.

If you are an Interval International member, you can put in a request for an exchange to the timeshare you would like to go to and the dates you would like to visit. Do not deposit your week, but request your desired location first. II will notify you when the exchange is complete and charge you for the exchange fee.

If you purchased your villa from Marriott, you may have been enrolled in a 1 year membership at II. With that membership, you should have received a Resort Directory and instructions from Marriott, as well at in the II Resort Directory, for the way to use the service.

By the way, I am a Marriott owner and do not work for any of the companies I have mentioned in my reply to you.

Tim

Timothy S.
Jul 09, 2007

tim755 wrote:
roberts693 wrote:

If you look at your resort page on Redweek.com, you can see options to rent, purchase or exchange a week at that timeshare. So, one of your options is to place your future week up for rent or offer it for exchange and ask for something in a location you would like to visit.

If you are an Interval International member, you can put in a request for an exchange to the timeshare you would like to go to and the dates you would like to visit. Do not deposit your week, but request your desired location first. II will notify you when the exchange is complete and charge you for the exchange fee.

If you purchased your villa from Marriott, you may have been enrolled in a 1 year membership at II. With that membership, you should have received a Resort Directory and instructions from Marriott, as well at in the II Resort Directory, for the way to use the service.

By the way, I am a Marriott owner and do not work for any of the companies I have mentioned in my reply to you.

Tim

Tim, many thanks! Just got off the phone with II and went over the options. I understand the best option is to request and then deposit if you get an acceptable trade. Although the II folks are encouraging me to deposit first.

Is there a forum of just Marriott folks that trade among themselves? or for that matter any such fforum of owners?

Robert S.
Jul 10, 2007

roberts693 wrote:
tim755 wrote:
roberts693 wrote:

Tim

Tim, many thanks! Just got off the phone with II and went over the options. I understand the best option is to request and then deposit if you get an acceptable trade. Although the II folks are encouraging me to deposit first.

Is there a forum of just Marriott folks that trade among themselves? or for that matter any such fforum of owners?

First of all, it is good that you received good information from Interval International. By requesting first, you still have the option to rent or exchange or use your week if the timeshare you would like to go to is not available.

In addition, if you know where you would like to go, then the Redweek representative can tell you the number of times that destination had trades available in a previous period of time. This will give you an idea of how likely you can get the exchange you are looking for.

If you are looking to exchange your Marriott week with other Marriott owners, try using Redweek. I was trying to get into Marriott Newport a few months ago and went to the Newport section on Redweek and found people looking to trade a future Newport week for a destination they wanted.

You could check the Redweek exchange section for the place you would like to go and see if an owner at that destination is looking for an exchange. In addition, you can go to the Redweek section for your own timeshare resort and list a request for an exchange.

Check Redweek for charges for using this service.

If you request first with II and try this Redweek search, you can take whatever comes up first. If a Redweek exchange is successful, then immediately contact II to cancel your request.

One last thing. If you have not reserved your week for 2008 and if you have a flexible week, then reserve a week for a time that has the greatest demand. You can get an idea of the level of demand by looking in the front section of the II catalog at the demand index for the location of your timeshare. The demand for Aruba may be like Florida with the hottest demand from the end of December to about April.

Tim

Timothy S.
Jul 20, 2007

Out of all the companies I viewed, i think I like Marriott's system the best. But I have some questions:

If I purchase resale is the only benefit I am losing the deposit your weeks for rewards points?

I read through this post and I am interested in buying in a high demand season in either Aruba, Hawaii or Florida. Does that seem wise?

What is the best way to get to the unit you want if you do not want to visit your home unit? How far advance do you need to book?

Which is higher in demand Florida or Hawaii?

Come on tim :)

Sugar A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.