Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

TRYING TO GET OUT OF MEXICO TIMESHARE (by Mikael G.):

leonar10 wrote:
I have not paid maintenance fees on my Mexican timeshare ( Bel Air} for about 7 years now and they have threatened collections agency. Still nothing. I e-mailed them telling them I can no longer use the timeshare and cannot afford it. I don't think they can do anything as the timeshare is in Mexico, the company is American and I am in Canada.

I am in a similar situation although I'm American. I purchased a unit 14 years ago from Playa del Sol in Puerto Vallarta (now Bel Air Vacation Club) The maintenance fees have almost tripled and the exchange value has greatly diminished. I exchanged emails with the client relations manager. She advised there is no provision to give back your RTU unit once purchased. She suggested trying to sell the property. Of course, we all know now that you can't even give these units away after spending thousands of dollars in purchasing and maintenance fees. I am going to try to simply walk away and stop making my biennial payments starting this year. I am hoping to get off with some stern letters and threats with no further action taken. It isn't entirely clear how big of a hit my credit may take if I am sent to collections. I'm gambling that the trade off will be worth some risk to see what happens. Most of the stories in this forum have been pretty encouraging. I'm hoping to be another Mexican timeshare survivor. Only time will tell I guess. If anyone else has insight with this company in particular I'm very interested to hear the story.