maintenance costs

Forum: Wyndham Santa Barbara

page 1 of 3

«  prev page   1 2 3   next page  »

Message Author

By Carl B.

maintenance costs

Do you still have to pay maintenance while resort is closed. Will there be an extra levy to update resort? Carl

Avatar for Carl B. Carl B.

12 years ago
Dec 15, 2006

By Mikel L.

Carl,

They reduced our maintenance fees for this year. I don't have the numbers in front of me but if I remember correctly it was about a 15-20% reduction. As for an additional levy, I have not heard anything about that.....yet.

Avatar for Mikel L. Mikel L.

12 years ago
Apr 14, 2007

By Jeff A.

carl446 wrote:
Do you still have to pay maintenance while resort is closed. Will there be an extra levy to update resort? Carl

I just received a "special assessment", 1st payment is over $700 due June 1st, the 2nd is due Sept. 1st. The letter states it is due because the resort was under insured. Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the Santa Barbara resort the association Board and Wyndham resorts, the management company? I will go it alone if I have too. We paid our norma assessments to insure our investments were secure. I believe I have been scammed. I paid a visit to the resort last December 06 and the was absolutely no progress then. Please email me if you are interested. jdss@hotmail.com

Avatar for Jeff A. Jeff A.

12 years ago
May 10, 2007

By Mikel L.

jeff1112 wrote:
I just received a "special assessment"...Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the Santa Barbara resort the association Board and Wyndham resorts, the management company?....Please email me if you are interested. jdss@hotmail.com
Part of me is interested but I am afraid that the contract we are in allows for this sort of thing - at least according to the letter. That's a hell of a lot of extra $$ that they need - over $1k from each owner!!!?!?!!

Avatar for Mikel L. Mikel L.

12 years ago
May 11, 2007

Message deleted.

By David W.

Gentlemen, I think that we have to think smart. Its obvious we are all either subject to bad managment or that we are veiwed as a soft touch. If you were inclined, you might even think that there was a hidden agenda to get hold of a valuable piece of real estate for nothing. The contract we entered into provides right and reasonable expectations for 'all' parties. We provide cash, the management provide a resort. Maintenance fees are just that. What is being maintained at the resort that costs so much? Where are the audited accounts that substatiate the special assessment charges? Where are the figures that show how much has been paid out by the isurance company for the damage to the resort? Who has paid for the new Wyndhams sign on the building, the owners or Wyndhams? What has happened to the resort boat since the hurricane? I could go on but I am sure you are getting the idea. These and many more questions are legitimate questions that have to be answered if asked. As well as aking us for money, we can all tie-up the resort management by drip feeding them questions en-mass. If they choose to ignore any of us us, then we can report them to the relevant authorities expressing concern over 'improper conduct'. It will cost them a great deal of time, money and aggrevation. Lets see how they like it!

Avatar for David W. David W.

12 years ago
May 29, 2007

By Brad D.

davidw459 wrote:
Gentlemen, I think that we have to think smart. Its obvious we are all either subject to bad managment or that we are veiwed as a soft touch. If you were inclined, you might even think that there was a hidden agenda to get hold of a valuable piece of real estate for nothing. The contract we entered into provides right and reasonable expectations for 'all' parties. We provide cash, the management provide a resort. Maintenance fees are just that. What is being maintained at the resort that costs so much? Where are the audited accounts that substatiate the special assessment charges? Where are the figures that show how much has been paid out by the isurance company for the damage to the resort? Who has paid for the new Wyndhams sign on the building, the owners or Wyndhams? What has happened to the resort boat since the hurricane? I could go on but I am sure you are getting the idea. These and many more questions are legitimate questions that have to be answered if asked. As well as aking us for money, we can all tie-up the resort management by drip feeding them questions en-mass. If they choose to ignore any of us us, then we can report them to the relevant authorities expressing concern over 'improper conduct'. It will cost them a great deal of time, money and aggrevation. Lets see how they like it!

Agreed. I get the feeling of a runaround. I called the Fairfield group to ask about what this 'special levy' was about and the (nice or at least pleasant) lady on the phone said she had heard it was 'basically for overtime pay to get the resort repaired faster'. Isn't that what insurance is for? I didn't sign up to pay someone else's overtime on a whim. Especially if not much (anything) seems to be happening.

Last edit by bradd33 on May 29, 2007 06:49 PM.

Avatar for Brad D. Brad D.

12 years ago
May 29, 2007

By Carrie S.

bradd33 wrote:
Agreed. I get the feeling of a runaround. I called the Fairfield group to ask about what this 'special levy' was about and the (nice or at least pleasant) lady on the phone said she had heard it was 'basically for overtime pay to get the resort repaired faster'. Isn't that what insurance is for? I didn't sign up to pay someone else's overtime on a whim. Especially if not much (anything) seems to be happening.
Here's where you call the board Prez, and ask questions. I don't think property insurance companies pay overtime. That's what business insurance covers. Paying more to get the work done faster is in your interests, especially if insurance doesn't cover it.

Why don't you join the board, and represent those with your point of view?

Avatar for Carrie S. Carrie S.

12 years ago
May 30, 2007

By Carol S.

jeff1112 wrote:
carl446 wrote:
Do you still have to pay maintenance while resort is closed. Will there be an extra levy to update resort? Carl

I just received a "special assessment", 1st payment is over $700 due June 1st, the 2nd is due Sept. 1st. The letter states it is due because the resort was under insured. Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the Santa Barbara resort the association Board and Wyndham resorts, the management company? I will go it alone if I have too. We paid our norma assessments to insure our investments were secure. I believe I have been scammed. I paid a visit to the resort last December 06 and the was absolutely no progress then. Please email me if you are interested. jdss@hotmail.com

Avatar for Carol S. Carol S.

12 years ago
Jun 01, 2007

By Carol S.

jeff1112 wrote:
carl446 wrote:
Do you still have to pay maintenance while resort is closed. Will there be an extra levy to update resort? Carl

I just received a "special assessment", 1st payment is over $700 due June 1st, the 2nd is due Sept. 1st. The letter states it is due because the resort was under insured. Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the Santa Barbara resort the association Board and Wyndham resorts, the management company? I will go it alone if I have too. We paid our norma assessments to insure our investments were secure. I believe I have been scammed. I paid a visit to the resort last December 06 and the was absolutely no progress then. Please email me if you are interested. jdss@hotmail.com

I am MORE than happy to file a class action suit, for multiple reasons. I have not had a bill in two years, however I have have recieved two letters from collection agencies and just last week a letter from a lawyer stating they will sue me for what they percieve as an unpaid bill. Writing to them with copies of reciepts has done nothing for me. I've had enough. If I can't use the place, I'm not paying for it.It's not my fault they didn't pay their bills

Avatar for Carol S. Carol S.

12 years ago
Jun 01, 2007

By Jeff A.

carols306

I went through the exact same situation, I never recieved a bill and the the resort added on "late fees" and sent me to "collection". Talking to those people are like pounding your head against the wall! I contacted my attorney and she took care of it. Thank GOD for pre-paid legal. Davidw495 is correct in his attempt to ask for information, I'm having my attorney do that as we speak. I see fraud taking place here!

Avatar for Jeff A. Jeff A.

12 years ago
Jun 01, 2007

By David W.

jeff1112 wrote:
carols306

I went through the exact same situation, I never recieved a bill and the the resort added on "late fees" and sent me to "collection". Talking to those people are like pounding your head against the wall! I contacted my attorney and she took care of it. Thank GOD for pre-paid legal. Davidw495 is correct in his attempt to ask for information, I'm having my attorney do that as we speak. I see fraud taking place here!

Good for you Jeff. It's about time someone stared using the same 'legal' tactics as they apply to us. Late billing is may be an obvious ploy to charge us more but blaming us for its cause. Of course it is could be charged because of their robotic staff's inefficiency but in either case, why should we suffer. I may be wrong, but I believe some of the controlling interests in Wyndhams are the same as those in Fairfield and its former parent company Cendant. Remember some of the Cendant chiefs were recently imprisoned for being crooks! Nice!!!! It may also be worthwhile notifying the Attorney General of Florida about our concerns over any potential financial irregular arising from the management of the Santa Barbara Resort. His details are: Economic Crimes Division Office of the Attorney General 135 W. Central Blvd. Suite 1000 Orlando FL 32801

The more complaints this gentleman gets, the more oblidged he is to investigate matters. The mere fact that they are under potential investigation will keep our management on its toes and get them to rethink any games they are playing. I appreciate that 'maintenace fees' are in a 'contract clause' to be paid to the resort even if it has been affected by a hurricane. However the term 'reasonable' applies to any contract term. The maintenance fees under this contract clause are based on the assumtion that the resort is still operational, albeit unavailable or is temporarily closed for a short period. In other words, all existing resort employees continue to be paid, utility charges still apply, etc etc. None of this applies to Santa Barbara. It has been completely closed for nearly two years for major works. Its just a construction site, so what existing items are being maintained? What are the maintenance charges for? Where is this money going (is it being used for other purposes that the owners shouldn't be paying for)? Where are the bills and invoices for this money to substantiate these fees and special charges?

I think that as owners there are a lot of valid questions that we have the legal right to have answered. Its about time we insist that they are answered in detail and in the public domain so we all know the truth.

My regards to all of you.

Avatar for David W. David W.

12 years ago
Jun 02, 2007

By Carol S.

davidw459 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
carols306

I went through the exact same situation, I never recieved a bill and the the resort added on "late fees" and sent me to "collection". Talking to those people are like pounding your head against the wall! I contacted my attorney and she took care of it. Thank GOD for pre-paid legal. Davidw495 is correct in his attempt to ask for information, I'm having my attorney do that as we speak. I see fraud taking place here!

Good for you Jeff. It's about time someone stared using the same 'legal' tactics as they apply to us. Late billing is may be an obvious ploy to charge us more but blaming us for its cause. Of course it is could be charged because of their robotic staff's inefficiency but in either case, why should we suffer. I may be wrong, but I believe some of the controlling interests in Wyndhams are the same as those in Fairfield and its former parent company Cendant. Remember some of the Cendant chiefs were recently imprisoned for being crooks! Nice!!!! It may also be worthwhile notifying the Attorney General of Florida about our concerns over any potential financial irregular arising from the management of the Santa Barbara Resort. His details are: Economic Crimes Division Office of the Attorney General 135 W. Central Blvd. Suite 1000 Orlando FL 32801

The more complaints this gentleman gets, the more oblidged he is to investigate matters. The mere fact that they are under potential investigation will keep our management on its toes and get them to rethink any games they are playing. I appreciate that 'maintenace fees' are in a 'contract clause' to be paid to the resort even if it has been affected by a hurricane. However the term 'reasonable' applies to any contract term. The maintenance fees under this contract clause are based on the assumtion that the resort is still operational, albeit unavailable or is temporarily closed for a short period. In other words, all existing resort employees continue to be paid, utility charges still apply, etc etc. None of this applies to Santa Barbara. It has been completely closed for nearly two years for major works. Its just a construction site, so what existing items are being maintained? What are the maintenance charges for? Where is this money going (is it being used for other purposes that the owners shouldn't be paying for)? Where are the bills and invoices for this money to substantiate these fees and special charges?

I think that as owners there are a lot of valid questions that we have the legal right to have answered. Its about time we insist that they are answered in detail and in the public domain so we all know the truth.

My regards to all of you.

Thanks for the Attorney General's address. I'm writing a letter to them AND the Better Business Bureau. I took over my Mother's Timeshare because I thought she was going to have a stroke with the hassles they were giving her. The first three years were OK, and now the past three years have been hell.I have no intention on paying any more money. If the place is not available to me due to damage, I think they should have offered another place to go. The biggest problem is that I have paid enough that I shouldn't owe untl 2009 and they won't beleive my credit card statements. As for the 2005 "special Assessment " fee, I questioned them and was told..."Some people have not been paying their maintenance fees so we need to pass it on to everyone else....You voted for that by proxy in the last meeting". Only an idiot working for the timeshare would vote to have everyone else pay for someone elses timeshare..I was also told "No, you can't use their week, it doesn't belong to you" Again, thanks for the address C

Avatar for Carol S. Carol S.

12 years ago
Jun 02, 2007

By Steve D.

I agree that the share holders should all send letters to the Attorney General and demand a complete audit of the business practices of the management. It is obvious that they are incompetent by the fact they left the building under insured.

stevem5@comcast.net

Avatar for Steve D. Steve D.

12 years ago
Jun 14, 2007

By Boyd L.

jeff1112 wrote:
carl446 wrote:
Do you still have to pay maintenance while resort is closed. Will there be an extra levy to update resort? Carl

I just received a "special assessment", 1st payment is over $700 due June 1st, the 2nd is due Sept. 1st. The letter states it is due because the resort was under insured. Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the Santa Barbara resort the association Board and Wyndham resorts, the management company? I will go it alone if I have too. We paid our norma assessments to insure our investments were secure. I believe I have been scammed. I paid a visit to the resort last December 06 and the was absolutely no progress then. Please email me if you are interested. jdss@hotmail.com

Hi Carl, I also am upset about the excessive losses and special assessment fees. $6,335,383 is enough that someone should have to explain what went wrong. You may call me on my cell phone at 402-968-4166 or email me at boydlong@cox.net. I have filed a complaint with the state but they are not very helpful so far.

Avatar for Boyd L. Boyd L.

12 years ago
Jun 18, 2007

By Boyd L.

Owner's names and address's for contact purposes. Add yours if interested:

1)Boyd Long 618 S. 158 St. Omaha, NE 68118 402-758-9397 boydlong@cox.net 2)

Avatar for Boyd L. Boyd L.

12 years ago
Jun 18, 2007

By Carol S.

boyd18 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
carl446 wrote:
Do you still have to pay maintenance while resort is closed. Will there be an extra levy to update resort? Carl

I just received a "special assessment", 1st payment is over $700 due June 1st, the 2nd is due Sept. 1st. The letter states it is due because the resort was under insured. Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the Santa Barbara resort the association Board and Wyndham resorts, the management company? I will go it alone if I have too. We paid our norma assessments to insure our investments were secure. I believe I have been scammed. I paid a visit to the resort last December 06 and the was absolutely no progress then. Please email me if you are interested. jdss@hotmail.com

Hi Carl, I also am upset about the excessive losses and special assessment fees. $6,335,383 is enough that someone should have to explain what went wrong. You may call me on my cell phone at 402-968-4166 or email me at boydlong@cox.net. I have filed a complaint with the state but they are not very helpful so far.

Avatar for Carol S. Carol S.

12 years ago
Jun 18, 2007

By Carol S.

I sent a leter to the company...no results. Last week I sent a letter to the Atorney General and included invoces/reciepts for the past 3 years. I'm hoping I hear back from them. I'm not paying anything else..It seems they send me something every month with an additional $250.00 added onto the bill. NO MORE

Avatar for Carol S. Carol S.

12 years ago
Jun 18, 2007

By John S.

I am very upset at the antics of the people that are running the show. My mother was told that she would be able to use her week check-in 7/13/2007! She was told this about 30 days ago when she was on the phone inquiring about occupancy and paying her 809.00 special assesment. If I had not gotten involved she would have shown up at the resort with anticipation of enjoying her first usage of the resort since she bought in 2005 having traveled from Chicago and meeting her friend from Tenn of whom also would have payed for airfare,rental car,boarding of animals etc. When I called we were offered again a worthless RCI bonus week that costs the developer either ten dollars of free, and then a couple of days later a sales rep calls and tries to sell FairShare points and states that is the only way that you can use anything of real value etc. Do the math...last years maintenance plus this years, plus 1618.00 of assesmsnts(two bedroom ownership)equals over 3000.00 paid in those fees for somehting she can't use. Sure she could have the bonus week and payed the rental cost to use it in a low demand, oversupplyresort/area etc. but that is not what she has been paying for. We were told in fall of 2005 that we would have use in 2006, then in 2006 we were told we could use in 2007 and then in 2007 (30 days ago) we were told we could use this year and now we are told that the resort is guarenteed to be completed in Dec 2007...what are we going to be told next?????????????? Please feel free to reply should you have any constructive ideas.

Avatar for John S. John S.

12 years ago
Jun 23, 2007

By Julie H.

davidw459 wrote:
jeff1112 wrote:
carols306

I went through the exact same situation, I never recieved a bill and the the resort added on "late fees" and sent me to "collection". Talking to those people are like pounding your head against the wall! I contacted my attorney and she took care of it. Thank GOD for pre-paid legal. Davidw495 is correct in his attempt to ask for information, I'm having my attorney do that as we speak. I see fraud taking place here!

Good for you Jeff. It's about time someone stared using the same 'legal' tactics as they apply to us. Late billing is may be an obvious ploy to charge us more but blaming us for its cause. Of course it is could be charged because of their robotic staff's inefficiency but in either case, why should we suffer. I may be wrong, but I believe some of the controlling interests in Wyndhams are the same as those in Fairfield and its former parent company Cendant. Remember some of the Cendant chiefs were recently imprisoned for being crooks! Nice!!!! It may also be worthwhile notifying the Attorney General of Florida about our concerns over any potential financial irregular arising from the management of the Santa Barbara Resort. His details are: Economic Crimes Division Office of the Attorney General 135 W. Central Blvd. Suite 1000 Orlando FL 32801

The more complaints this gentleman gets, the more oblidged he is to investigate matters. The mere fact that they are under potential investigation will keep our management on its toes and get them to rethink any games they are playing. I appreciate that 'maintenace fees' are in a 'contract clause' to be paid to the resort even if it has been affected by a hurricane. However the term 'reasonable' applies to any contract term. The maintenance fees under this contract clause are based on the assumtion that the resort is still operational, albeit unavailable or is temporarily closed for a short period. In other words, all existing resort employees continue to be paid, utility charges still apply, etc etc. None of this applies to Santa Barbara. It has been completely closed for nearly two years for major works. Its just a construction site, so what existing items are being maintained? What are the maintenance charges for? Where is this money going (is it being used for other purposes that the owners shouldn't be paying for)? Where are the bills and invoices for this money to substantiate these fees and special charges?

I think that as owners there are a lot of valid questions that we have the legal right to have answered. Its about time we insist that they are answered in detail and in the public domain so we all know the truth.

My regards to all of you.

Good Morning everyone, I am new to this, but was excited to see that there are others who share in my frustration. I own 4 units at Santa Barbara, so I have paid 2 years of common charges plus now the assessment for the 4 units. I am seriously considering letting the go into foreclosure. I have contacted Wyndham regarding them taking the units back, of course.......no response. Any thoughts from you guys.......There is strength in numbers.

Avatar for Julie H. Julie H.

12 years ago
Jun 30, 2007

page 1 of 3

«  prev page   1 2 3   next page  »

Reply to Topic

Available only to RedWeek.com Guests and Members
Sign in or register for free