Mar 29, 2008

thomasp140 wrote:
thomasp140 wrote:
douglasd29 wrote:
2 bedroom lockoff phase 1 Harborside total homeowner's assessments: 2007 2231 2006 1889 2005 1675 2004 1519 2003 1451 2002 1382 This represents 61% increase over the last five years. We just visited on week 11, had a delightful time, asked about magnitude of increases , but did not really get satisfactory explanation. Upon returning home I have the bill in the mail, have read the pie graphs and explanation, but I am uncconvinced tha sufficient efforts are being made to control costs. I will be writing to SVO management and Board of Directors. I am interested in hearing if anyone has comparative costs for say St. John or other comparable resorts.

I have also written to the Kushner Corporation whom if you didn't know actually own the rights to Harborside under master lease through Starwood. Our Maintenance is paid to Kurshner HQ and not Starwood?? This should alert all of us to question the Board of Directors how much stock do we as owners at Harborside get??

The Maintenance Fees are "through the roof" because our fees also go to the Atlantis development as well.

I guess this is one of the reason after I expressed my concerns I was not elected to the Condo Association Board last year. My fees for 2008 were $2,323.53 - ouch!

Have you tried to reserve weeks at Harborside outside your Deeded week - well forget it!! Starwood and Kurshner in particular rent the units to the local public first - this is a shame as an owner we paying these kind of fees we don't get preference...

We as owners should also question? Why is it that the guests staying at the Comfort Suites across from Atlantis enjoy the benefits as those at Harborside to use all the facilities at Atlantis - It's because the Kurshner organization owns the Comfort Suites!! this was the deal made when the Atlantis was being built to local gov't and should have expired - but never did?? I have questioned this to the Board who quite frankly were puzzled.

This is Trish. I started this topic when we were deciding whether to buy at Harborside. We did buy a deeded week 12 in a 2 bedroom lock off in phase 1 and just returned yesterday. I think the maintenance fees are way too high for the level of service. We own at the Four Seasons Aviara and the fees are $2,100 a year. Four Seasons cleans your room daily and has a nightly turndown service. They have typical Four Seasons service and "free" fruit, ice cream bars, water at the pool. The whole experience is very upscale and you see from the way the units and grounds are maintained exactly where the fees are going. We also own at a Marriott where the fees for a 2 bedroom are $850.00 a year and the units are very large, updated every 3-4 years (DVD players, flat screen TV's, new bedding with down comforters, reupholstered furniture) and the grounds/pools are immaculate and beautiful. Clearly the waterparks at Atlantis are unique and quite spectacular and do justify some of the high fees. I agree with the above author that the number of outside guests having access to Atlantis is out of control. It is not just Comfort Suites but all the cruise people and day trip passes that literally add hundreds if not thousands of extra people per day and contribute to long lines at water rides and food venues. It is not fair to any guest paying to stay at Atlantis. I think the owners need to get much more involved in scrutinizing the fees because it is very difficult to determine where the money is going based on the pie charts they send with the bill. The insurance charges for one need to be justified--i work in insurance and it is a very soft market right now compared to 2004 and 2005. They can not continue to blame the costs of insurance without showing us the actual bill. Do they shop for quotes? Also, the amount we are charged for housekeeping is a joke. Our mid-week cleaning was terrible--they took our used towels but did not leave any clean ones and we had to call multiple times to try to get towels. They also make you pay for Interval International membership in your fee even if you are already a member--which we are since we own 2 other timeshares. Phase 1 at Harborside needs to be updated and soon. We were there 6 years ago and nothing has been replaced. They still have VHS recorders in the room--who has tapes to play in those outdated machines? The furniture, especially the bedding and pillows , carpet and every fixture is exactly the same as when it first opened. Clearly, there is different information about who owns the Comfort Suites and where our maintenance fees are directed and we should try to get good information and organize a group of owners who are willing to work on this. Harborside is a great resort which is in danger of losing its appeal for resale and renting if the owners do not insist that our extremely high maintenance fees are justified and used to maintain Harborside and contribute our fair share to the Atlantis Resort amenities but not to create profit opportunities for Kurshner or others. If others are interested in working on this, perhaps we can create an on-line working group to stay on top of this and once we get all the facts, we can send letters on behalf of a number of owners. Thanks, Trish

Trish H.
Mar 29, 2008

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess we are on the same page, and I would be very interested to be part of a committee to oversee just what's going on. As a point of background, I'm currently President of my own Real Estate Consultant Company and would galdly provide any technical support.

Thanks. Tom

Thomas P.
Jun 02, 2008

trish88 wrote:
thomasp140 wrote:
thomasp140 wrote:
douglasd29 wrote:
2 bedroom lockoff phase 1 Harborside total homeowner's assessments: 2007 2231 2006 1889 2005 1675 2004 1519 2003 1451 2002 1382 This represents 61% increase over the last five years. We just visited on week 11, had a delightful time, asked about magnitude of increases , but did not really get satisfactory explanation. Upon returning home I have the bill in the mail, have read the pie graphs and explanation, but I am uncconvinced tha sufficient efforts are being made to control costs. I will be writing to SVO management and Board of Directors. I am interested in hearing if anyone has comparative costs for say St. John or other comparable resorts.

I have also written to the Kushner Corporation whom if you didn't know actually own the rights to Harborside under master lease through Starwood. Our Maintenance is paid to Kurshner HQ and not Starwood?? This should alert all of us to question the Board of Directors how much stock do we as owners at Harborside get??

The Maintenance Fees are "through the roof" because our fees also go to the Atlantis development as well.

I guess this is one of the reason after I expressed my concerns I was not elected to the Condo Association Board last year. My fees for 2008 were $2,323.53 - ouch!

Have you tried to reserve weeks at Harborside outside your Deeded week - well forget it!! Starwood and Kurshner in particular rent the units to the local public first - this is a shame as an owner we paying these kind of fees we don't get preference...

We as owners should also question? Why is it that the guests staying at the Comfort Suites across from Atlantis enjoy the benefits as those at Harborside to use all the facilities at Atlantis - It's because the Kurshner organization owns the Comfort Suites!! this was the deal made when the Atlantis was being built to local gov't and should have expired - but never did?? I have questioned this to the Board who quite frankly were puzzled.

This is Trish. I started this topic when we were deciding whether to buy at Harborside. We did buy a deeded week 12 in a 2 bedroom lock off in phase 1 and just returned yesterday. I think the maintenance fees are way too high for the level of service. We own at the Four Seasons Aviara and the fees are $2,100 a year. Four Seasons cleans your room daily and has a nightly turndown service. They have typical Four Seasons service and "free" fruit, ice cream bars, water at the pool. The whole experience is very upscale and you see from the way the units and grounds are maintained exactly where the fees are going. We also own at a Marriott where the fees for a 2 bedroom are $850.00 a year and the units are very large, updated every 3-4 years (DVD players, flat screen TV's, new bedding with down comforters, reupholstered furniture) and the grounds/pools are immaculate and beautiful. Clearly the waterparks at Atlantis are unique and quite spectacular and do justify some of the high fees. I agree with the above author that the number of outside guests having access to Atlantis is out of control. It is not just Comfort Suites but all the cruise people and day trip passes that literally add hundreds if not thousands of extra people per day and contribute to long lines at water rides and food venues. It is not fair to any guest paying to stay at Atlantis. I think the owners need to get much more involved in scrutinizing the fees because it is very difficult to determine where the money is going based on the pie charts they send with the bill. The insurance charges for one need to be justified--i work in insurance and it is a very soft market right now compared to 2004 and 2005. They can not continue to blame the costs of insurance without showing us the actual bill. Do they shop for quotes? Also, the amount we are charged for housekeeping is a joke. Our mid-week cleaning was terrible--they took our used towels but did not leave any clean ones and we had to call multiple times to try to get towels. They also make you pay for Interval International membership in your fee even if you are already a member--which we are since we own 2 other timeshares. Phase 1 at Harborside needs to be updated and soon. We were there 6 years ago and nothing has been replaced. They still have VHS recorders in the room--who has tapes to play in those outdated machines? The furniture, especially the bedding and pillows , carpet and every fixture is exactly the same as when it first opened. Clearly, there is different information about who owns the Comfort Suites and where our maintenance fees are directed and we should try to get good information and organize a group of owners who are willing to work on this. Harborside is a great resort which is in danger of losing its appeal for resale and renting if the owners do not insist that our extremely high maintenance fees are justified and used to maintain Harborside and contribute our fair share to the Atlantis Resort amenities but not to create profit opportunities for Kurshner or others. If others are interested in working on this, perhaps we can create an on-line working group to stay on top of this and once we get all the facts, we can send letters on behalf of a number of owners. Thanks, Trish

Kathy C.
Jun 02, 2008

kathyc231 wrote:
trish88 wrote:
thomasp140 wrote:
thomasp140 wrote:
douglasd29 wrote:

I am an owners of the 2 bedroom lockoff .yes 2323.00! I have a feeling the costs to owners are not on the up and up. just look at what the closing costs are compared to other resorts. We pay 2600.00 to close. The lawyer take 1500.00 of that and the resort gets one thousand of it. There is no reason for these closing costs. Closing takes them a few hours of paperwork. most reorts are 300.00-500.00 for all. what about the mark up they charge to sell. it is really all overpriced. You can re-sell for 1/3 the developer prices not even 1/2.

Meryl N.
Feb 04, 2009

mer1 wrote:
kathyc231 wrote:
trish88 wrote:
thomasp140 wrote:
thomasp140 wrote:
douglasd29 wrote:

I am an owners of the 2 bedroom lockoff .yes 2323.00! I have a feeling the costs to owners are not on the up and up. just look at what the closing costs are compared to other resorts. We pay 2600.00 to close. The lawyer take 1500.00 of that and the resort gets one thousand of it. There is no reason for these closing costs. Closing takes them a few hours of paperwork. most reorts are 300.00-500.00 for all. what about the mark up they charge to sell. it is really all overpriced. You can re-sell for 1/3 the developer prices not even 1/2.

Paul L.
Feb 04, 2009

I know the Bahamas in general has to import almost everything. if you shop the local stores it is all very high even for locals. harborside pays the locals so they can afford to live. I agree the fees have gone up a lot but Four seasons aviara has nothing but a pool to maintain. I was there and the room s are very nice but also a bit old and there is absolutly nothing there to do. you cannot compare what you get at Atlantis to other timeshares. i own three weeks. also you can rent 1/2 your unit to pay all your fees.

Meryl N.
Feb 15, 2009

Trish, I urge you to do someresearchon timeshares before you buy one...Obviously, if you are thinking about buying one, you haven't. They are ALL the same, and they are ALL a horrible contract. These maintenance fees will never stop going up...With the way the economy is right now, you REALLY don't want to be stuck in this kind of contract...Just so you know, there is NO contstraints on how much the resorts can raise you fees or how much a special assessment can be. The only way they are making money right now, is through maintenance fees...Now that's scary...You can go and rent at this resort or many others that are just as nice, and in the same area, for WAY LESS than the maintenance fees...Go online and get excellent rental rates through many different travel clubs...Also, ALL the trading companies are also travel clubs...You don't have to be an owner to be a member. I work for a company that rescues people from thier timeshares...if you buy one, you will be meeting with a company like ours in 5 years to try and unload this thing. You will not travel for the rest of your life, and when you stop going, you will have to keep paying. The worst part, when you pass away the maintenance fees will probably be close to $8,500, but it doesn't stop there....Your kids will get it, whether they want it or not!!! You will never be able to sell this thing, and that's the only way out of a timeshare...You have to find a new owner. PLEASE, BEWARE and DO LOTS of research!!!

Natalie S.
Feb 15, 2009

It really depends on the quality of the properties that you buy as to whether it is something you can resell. I personally have enjoyed timeshares for many years. I have resales and the use is worth it becuase you sell for about what you pay. If you buy from a resort that is not a name brand with good internal exchange options,, you can get stuck with it. I have sold Marriott and Disney easily. Harborside is not hard to sell, I bought two weeks and love it there.... just buy resale only.If you buy now dont expect it to be easy to sell now with the economy . So buy it to use it. some timeshares rent easily some don't. buy one that rents and you can pay for the fees plus get some money when cannot use it.

Meryl N.
Feb 17, 2009

You are correct, in the past, there have been very few timeshares that you can resell, however, today, you can find over a 1,000 timeshares for sell on ebay. i have even seen some Marriott and Disney timeshares sell for $1. People don't realize what's happening right now, even I didn't until I started working for this company and did some research myself, for my timeshare. One startling statistic that you may not know is that there are almost 6 million timeshares out there and almost 4 million are for sale. The FTC did a study and found that only 3.3% of owners have been able to resell their timeshares within the last 20 years. Check out this link, and maybe you'll understand what I'm saying a little better. http://ezinearticles.com/?Timeshare-Ownership---Beware-the-Financial-Avalanche-at-This-Time-of-Economic-Crisis&id=1644026

Natalie S.
Apr 06, 2009

This is a real sore spot with most people, and I think that Marriott should take an active role in controlling these fees. For instance, most Hawaii properties have MF of about $1400 to $1600 annually. How could any other property cost more? Hawaii has one of the highest cost-of-living indexes in the country - which includes labor, repairs, furnishings, etc.

Jeff B.
Apr 06, 2009

Everything in the Bahamas costs at least 30 percent more than the USA including Hawaii.

Meryl N.
Dec 15, 2009

Hi Trish, I am looking to buy another time share at Harbor side but was thinking of doing the same thing. Buy in florida and switch to Atlantis. We have been there 10 times in 11 years and pay more for five days than the maintenance fees are at harbor side. My question to you is can I buy resale and still be a part of Starwood exchange system or do I need to buy direct from Starwood. And by the way anyone looking at this the best time to go is between sept and november, not crowded and ocean is the warmest. Thanks Joe

Sidney L.
Dec 15, 2009

2009 fees for my Wk39 Phase 1 Two Bed Lockoff now $2,957. OUCH. Enough is enough for me. Time to sell.

Paul L.
Dec 15, 2009

The raise in fees for this year is truly a bit much but the units will be renovated and while there I did see the new look for the renovations. I don't understand why phase 2 units have a lower fee--funds for refurbishing the units should be the same. At least we aren't having assessments for doing renovations like the units in St John. I do wish there was some way to have some input--the annual meeting is the 18th and sometime it would be nice to have owners there!

Maria W.
Dec 16, 2009

Phase 2 doesnt need much renovating. I was just in a unit in June. It's all new. Phase 1 needs more work,. its older by about 5 years.

Meryl N.
Dec 16, 2009

Joe, I bought resale and I am eligible for the internal Starwood trade. I have not used this option though because it is better to rent the Harborside week and then rent someone's week at another Starwood property because the rents at Harborside are generally higher. I do not think you will have much luck trading into Harborside via internal exchange if you buy a less expensive Starwood property because Harborside owners do not give up their weeks. The proposed fees at Harborside phase 2 are now over 2,900 which is outrageous. If you are going to buy, you will be able to get a week very cheap. Good luck

Trish H.
Jan 05, 2010

I just bought here too and I did my homework for MONTHS first and watched several sell while I kept looking. Finally I bit when I found what I was looking for at the price I was looking for. It is true that Starwood has the worst MF's of all the major timeshare companies and we need to do something about that! But on the flip if you compair Harborside where daily admission to Atlantis is included to Disney where you purchase seperatly.........Disney is way more expensive and their fees keep going up too! You should expect a $100 yearly increse every year if you buy here. I don't agree at all with the poster who says only 3% of timeshare owners can sell theirs............I believe only 3% of people who bought from the developer can/will sell b/c they have high mortgages and the resell market is less then 1/2 the developer buy in price even lower in this ecenomy. So those people often can't afford to sell a 60K timeshare they still owe on for $25K! They would have to pay big bucks to get rid of it. Better to keep is especially Harborside that rents easily for more then the MF even in a bad economy. Like trish88 said...........buy resale and you really lose nothing!!! Just great cheap family vacations for as long as you like using it then resell it again for about the same as you paid for it. I even talked to a lady that bought two Marriotts 11 years ago resale in CA and they now sell for a few thousand more then her buy in price and this ecenomy sucks!!!!! So some places even make money over time if you bought resale to begain with. Now that Starwood changed the deposit terms with II and Starwood gets to pick the weeks that II gets and weeks the owners booked............guess what........only really off season weeks are showing up. Lots of Jan. when the water/weather is really still too cold for most unless you are from up north and don't mind that. So it will be hard if not impossible to get to Harborside in any good weather weeks. I would watch out for Sept. like one person said was great............I would go last min. then no problem, but way in advance is iffy b/c that is huricane season and you don't know what the weather will be like. May is probably best. Oh, and my MF's for a three bedroom phase II were $2550+185 ($2735) for 2010 some special fee this year it looks like.......couldn't really figure out what exactly it was......I think collecting for delinquent accounts, but that seems bogus b/c they can easily rent these for more then the MF's and do all the time!!! Do we ever really know what it is we are paying for exactly??? It is hard to figure that one out! Someone who cares more then me can research that.

Zezee H.
Jan 07, 2010

I have had mine for several years, paid cash. i think the fees were like $800-$900(I have 1 bed prem and 1 bed deluxe0. they are now both over $1500, so probably have doubled since I bought them. I ahve had to bank them a few years, but i got my use.

I am not participating in the rip off scam. Oh by the way, these things DO NOT resell. I have listed mine twice on redweek(which to me is the best site out there), I ahd listed as the cheapest on the entire site. NO LUCK. I am tired of the weekly call from some car salesman time share guy that wants $500 up front. I seriously doubt there have been many re-sales.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering. I have earned my money from my use over the years. I am typing letters to Harborside protesting the constant fee increases, and not paying it. I can take my 3k a year now and just rent one on Redweek, or go somewhere else.

2 units owned- week 42 and week 43(one is deluxe and one is premium). If anyone wants them for free they can have them. You need to pay the dues due in jan and any transfer tax. otherwise Harborside can have them back, and they can sell them to the next sucker in line for 7-8k.

Anthony M.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jan 08, 2010 02:49 AM

Jan 08, 2010

give me your contact info please!

Zezee H.
Jan 10, 2010

anthonym191, I guess you can't post your contact info here, b/c it got deleted. I guess you will have to post an ad of somekind for a fee in order to give out your contact info. Sorry, I don't know how else to reach you?

Zezee H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.