Kaanapali Beach Club

Ka'anapali Beach Owners Check Here

Feb 16, 2019

Hello all, I just saw this thread update. I think Kristen and I ate of like minds- we both have the same goals and intents. I would love it if she won and I'm am pretty sure it's vice versa.. The reality is neither of us will ever win a seat on the board due to the questionable practices of diamond counting 'collection' points as theirs to vote with.... The net result is they elect board members that suit their needs and disregard the interests of owners that wasn't the property to succeed and prosper. Our investment is sold so often there is no long term goal of a prosperous and growing investment for owners and heirs to enjoy- just a quick buck asst the expense of the investors. I run because I want to do right by the owners as I would want the board to do for me- same as Kristen from whay I know of her. Neither of us will ever win in this rigged election, but our candidate statements are the only voice we have. Keep voting for what is right, even if it feels like you are throwing your vote away! Good luck Kristen! I hope we can meet someday :-) - Steve Carrozzo

Steve C.
Feb 17, 2019

The best way to reach me is via email. KrisKirk7026@gmail.com. DRI owns most of the shares so they tend to vote in whoever will do their bidding. There are things they SHOULD be communicating however - like the beach erosion. We did our update last week and were told money has been set aside for a sea wall, but we've also been told that the beach erosion is the State of Hawaii's problem. Our update guy showed us pictures of the updated suites, but what the cost is or sharing the new look universally doesn't happen. We also noticed they replaced the carpet in the covered areas of each floor and painted those hallways tan to match the carpet. Again, I've heard that they are also going to replace the hall tiles on each floor and paint the entire building. But what they have planned is a mystery until it's done or in process. We learned about the adult only spa by asking why that area of the pool was fenced off! They also replaced all the chaise lounge covers - all great things that might actually make owners feel better about their maintenance fees!

Kristen K.
Feb 17, 2019

We had our "owner update" last week and were told the beach erosion plan has been drawn up (to include a sea wall that will prevent future erosion) and that funds have been set aside for this. I've also heard that beach erosion is the state's responsibility. I'm not sure why the Board is so adverse to communicating these things or sharing planned improvements - it might make people feel better about maintenance fees if they saw how the money is being used!

Kristen K.
Feb 17, 2019

Back at you! And full agreement on all counts.

Kristen K.
Feb 18, 2019

Kristen-Will you be attending the annual meeting ? If so, we will give you our proxy. We have been owners since 1997 (Embassy Suites) and have seen maintenance fees increase every year, yet many owner incentives are disappearing. We do not trade our weeks but use them yearly or stack them so our adult children can come to Maui with us occasionally. We HATE attending the update when we are there as they can NOT answer any of our questions and just pressure us to buy more time. We own two weeks of Ocean Deluxe and it’s a game each time to secure the rooms that we originally purchased . Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Pam Schneider

Pam S.
Feb 18, 2019

We actually just got back. When you have to book your time a year in advance and the meetings are scheduled in less time than that, alignment is a challenge! You can vote online. I haven't received a ballot yet - did you?

Kristen K.
Feb 19, 2019

Yes, ballot came last week.

Pam S.
Feb 19, 2019

I posted this before, but an ocean engineer whose parents were subjected to deceptive sales practices answered this in this article. There have been many complaints from members who were told they should not have purchased HI points due to beach erosion when this was not true. http://insidetimeshare.com/the-tuesday-slot-17/ From the ocean engineer: My suggestion would be to ask Diamond for documentation to support the additional charges. For instance, it is reasonable to ask if the funding is for future flood protection that might be afforded by a beach nourishment project. Alternatively, inquire if the money might be required to pay for damage that has already occurred to structures or to restore a previously eroded beach. If the assessment is intended for a beach nourishment project, it is likely that arrangements are in place for cost sharing between local stakeholders and government entities. Participation by a state or federal agency is an opportunity for those impacted by the additional billing to independently verify the project cost. The cost and scope of government efforts are a matter of public record, and learning the particulars is typically as easy as calling the project managers. If difficulties are encountered, the public has recourse in filing either federal or state Freedom of Information Inquiries.

In addition, 2020 is too far out to predict with any sort of fidelity. Concrete financial planning numbers at this stage are unlikely. There is an effort to have cost sharing between stakeholders and the federal entities. I have not heard of a federal project in Hawaii. It could be state, but most major beach nourishment projects are underwritten in part by the federal government. I have not heard of a state paying for damages from a flood. The member needs to know what the assessment is for, in more detail than just beach erosion. Is it for protection or for damage that has already occurred? One is flood damage expense, the other is flood protection afforded by beach nourishment projects.

Irene P.
Feb 19, 2019

Got mine in email today.

Kristen K.
Apr 29, 2019

Hi I also purchased in 2001 when KBC was a Sunterra resort. I love this resort but I’m sick of Diamond mgmt. pushing through their agenda and ignoring us owners. I’m here at KBC this week (April 24 - May 1st). I found out after arriving that yesterday, Sunday, was the last day for the buffet breakfast. When I asked the hostess what were they going to do with the restaurant area, she replied “they’re turning it into timeshare selling area. This disgusts me. Forget about the longtime owners. It’s all about Diamond’s greed to sell more timeshare to new owners and take advantage of a whole new group of suckers. First it was the North Shore restaurant, now it’s the breakfast buffet. Next will it be any remaining food venues? Like I said, it’s a beautiful resort, but Diamond is destroying our amenities one at a time. I’m seriously thinking of getting out! Susan W. ladysw@msn. com

Susan W.
Apr 29, 2019

I have tried to contact the facebook page for Diamond owners but cannot get a response Susan W

Susan W.
May 08, 2019

Hello. We have been owners since 2000. I would love to know how to sell our even deeded week. I have gotten nothing but grief when asking questions. It is very difficult to reach anyone to even ask questions. Due to medical circumstance my husband is unable to fly anymore. I was told that did not matter. I would welcome any advice. I hate to hear what has been going on at the resort. It was such a great experience for us. The breakfast buffet may be the last loss that really kills everything.

Kim M.
May 08, 2019

list it for sale on tug2.com - classifieds section Not worth much

Jerry U.
May 08, 2019

There is a Facebook page for DRI owners - Irene Parker is the administrator. There is a program through DRI called Transitions where, for $750, you can relinquish your deed. There is more information on that on the FB page. You can call DRI and ask about Transitions, but I've heard they aren't too helpful on the phone.

Kristen K.
May 12, 2019

Thank you Kristen but I am not the administrator of our member-sponsored Facebook page. An economics professor launched our Facebook February 2017.

Diamond has been wonderful accepting requests for Transitions. Beware of talking to a sales agent. One recently retired investment banker went to Polo Towers and said, "My wife bought this Monarch timeshare 18 years ago. I have hated it for 18 years. I've never attended a presentation. I'm only here today to learn what I have to do to get rid of it." The sales agents should have said, "Go to your log-in page and click Transitions." Instead he told him to be eligible he had to convert to points, selling him $12,000 points for no reason. When he filed a complaint, the anti-hospitality rep said it sounded like he said she said.

Just go to Transitions, don't talk to anyone except Transition staff and follow instructions. Start by Nov 1 at the latest to allow time for processing or you will be responsible for 2020 maintenance fees. People complained of having to be on hold for five hours, those that waited until the end of the year.

Irene P.
Jun 14, 2019

KBC / Diamond rigged the election again it seems! They are ignoring my request for weighted vote counts but I'll keep trying. Diamond claims to have the right to cast votes on behalf of every owner who places their weeks into the trust. They use these thousands of votes to over-rule the actual votes of the owners. Hopefully the formatting doesnt get too jumbled- here is a cut and paste of this years election sham.

Ka'anapali Beach Club Board of

Directors Election

VOA Director Candidates: Total Votes: Dennis C. Terry 105 Duane Kelling 125 Jason Fudenberg 520 Kathy Wheeler 74,826 Kristen Kirkpatrick 342 Rolin "Ron" Wade 74,848 Steve Carrozzo 645 Terrence Campbell 343

AOAO Director Candidates: Total Votes: Dennis C. Terry 26 Duane Kelling 32 Edward Rickenbacker 74,603 Jason Fudenberg 144 Kristen Kirkpatrick 125 Steve Carrozzo 185 Terrence Campbell 103

Steve C.
Feb 06, 2020

Just received the annual meeting/ election notice for KBC.... i did not receive the owners notification of the board election this year... did anyone else?? Even though the board election has always been rigged, i run each year on principal! Did any of you receive notice?

Steve C.
Feb 07, 2020

I also run annually in the rigged election just on principle, and did not receive a notice of nominations. I guess they've decided that since they are going to vote their 70K+ proxies for their own candidates regardless, what is the point in making it look legit?

Kristen K.
Mar 06, 2021

Thank you for info platinum owners for 20 years. Through Epic, Sunterra, Diamond lots of stories but here again for 10 days and more whales than we. An count! Love this resort and the Modern on Oahu

Linda K.
May 07, 2021

I am only just finding this page. We previously had Diamond contracts with points and got rid of all of them and have deed weeks at KBC - 2 odd year and 1 even year. I am tired of the Diamond point system and hate the sales talks which are all pressure and a rip off, but we love KBC. Is this the forum with people who actually have deeded property?? Desperately trying to make sure we are part of that group.

Sue and Tom Kelly

Sue K

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.