Marriott's Frenchman's Cove

Bought Platinum - a little nervous

Apr 05, 2007

Hi All. I hope this is an appropriate post. We went to the Frenchman's Reef on the special deal of reduced price in exchange for the time share tour. We bought two platinum weeks (Jan - Apr)! St Thomas was beautiful and the timeshares are really nice. This is my first property ever and I'm about to get married. We felt that the Marriott timeshare is very flexible and the St Thomas resort is incredible.

I am hoping to get some ideas about how satisfied people are with Marriott and also I'm curious about how easy it is to rent the time share if we don't use it one year.

Thanks a lot Marc

Marc R.
Apr 08, 2007

Marc, Tough to determine the rental value of a platinum at FC as it isn't even 20 percent complete. I would guess you could get 3K next year and probably 5K when its done. I'm very satisfied with Marriott although some folks are definitely disappointed. The MF at Marriott are the highest in the industry but the resorts are all pretty much 5 star world class. By buying two weeks you get to pick a month in front of most folks. I haven't traded very much so somebody else will have to fill you in on that aspect. Welcome Aboard.!!

Jim F.
Jun 01, 2007

marcr16 wrote:
Hi All. I hope this is an appropriate post. We went to the Frenchman's Reef on the special deal of reduced price in exchange for the time share tour. We bought two platinum weeks (Jan - Apr)! St Thomas was beautiful and the timeshares are really nice. This is my first property ever and I'm about to get married. We felt that the Marriott timeshare is very flexible and the St Thomas resort is incredible.

I am hoping to get some ideas about how satisfied people are with Marriott and also I'm curious about how easy it is to rent the time share if we don't use it one year.

Thanks a lot Marc

Hi Marc-

We own 3 Marriott timeshares - One at Grand Vista in Orlando and 2 in Aruba and we don't regret a minute of it. I'm on the Frenchman's Cove website today checking out Frenchman's Cove because we leave tomorrow for Frenchman's Cove, which we traded our Grand Vista for. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with Marriott. Great trading value, great customer service and beautfiul properties. You may be nervous now but don't be. I was nervous at 1st but subsequently bought the 2 additional Aruba properties. Either we use them, trade them for points or rent them. Not a problem. Very flexible program. You'll be glad you did.......

Karyn N.
Aug 20, 2007

karyn6 wrote:
marcr16 wrote:

Thanks a lot Marc

Hi Marc-

We own 3 Marriott timeshares - One at Grand Vista in Orlando and 2 in Aruba and we don't regret a minute of it. I'm on the Frenchman's Cove website today checking out Frenchman's Cove because we leave tomorrow for Frenchman's Cove, which we traded our Grand Vista for. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with Marriott. Great trading value, great customer service and beautfiul properties. You may be nervous now but don't be. I was nervous at 1st but subsequently bought the 2 additional Aruba properties. Either we use them, trade them for points or rent them. Not a problem. Very flexible program. You'll be glad you did.......

Joseph A. M.
Aug 27, 2007

Marc

We purchased 2 gold weeks in July and I know how you are feeling. We won't be traveling there next year and we wanted to rent our timeshare and Marriott offered us $500 for the entire week so you're best bet it to rent it yourself. I think the trade value will be better than the rental value but I am sure you would like to apply that extra money to your mortgage.

DLB

Danya B.
Jul 26, 2011

Marriott is probably the best Time share around. That said, you need to be the type that plans vacations well in advance, and can stick to the plans. Trading, or coverting can take a lot of time and effort. Frenchman's Cove is a great place, and seems rentable around $1500 week. You can cover your maintenance cost, plus a little, but not your loan payments.

Hope this helps!

Bruce S.
May 22, 2012

Marc

We have a timeshare also at Frenchman Cove for 5 years now. We inroll with Interval for trades but have not had to much luck trading with them. ST Thom, is a great place to vacation, but they have not sold all phases yet or resale is not a good time right now. I just tried to rent our unit but no luck yet. I just found out that the Tax;s are not in the yearly maintenance fee and had to send in a seperate check for that. In all good luck ist a nice place to go to but expensive to eat. Take some boat trips when you get there it just beautiful. Good luck

Debbie C.
Jun 09, 2012

Dabney- Does anyone know that listing given out a few months ago of all the best things to see and do in St. Thomas for families?

Dabney O.
Aug 13, 2012

I'm more than a little disappointed with Marriott, we were told that we could trade our week for Point's and now find out that it is only every other year.

SHODDY SALESMAN - HOPE they all get their JUST DUES... BURN IN .. in the afterlife.

Mitra K.
Feb 24, 2013

We own a platinum floating week at the Aruba Surf club, now 6 years later, and having been to Frenchmen's Cove, it would be nice to swap timeshares with other Marriott owners. Why hasn't a network for Marriott owners been created so we can swap amongst ourselves?? I know Marriott, in typical ROB you blind fashion, has switched over to a point system... FOR A FEE, (was told by an ex-timeshare assoc. DO NOT SWITCH EVER!!) so that we can trade within. Why should we pay them yet more $$ for that convenience? Our Disney Timeshare has always been a point system, at NO CHARGE!!

Jyll U.

Last edited by jyllu on Feb 24, 2013 08:02 AM

Apr 10, 2013

don't worry. Have owned at the Cove before it was built. We have easily traded for other Marriott and non Marriott, used our weeks and have successfully rented using Redweek. You should be fine. We love St. Thomas and look forward to our next trip.

Mark S.
May 26, 2013

Does anyone know if you buy a resale do you get all of the same "perks" as original owner? I'd never buy from resort with these resale prices!!

Kim B.
Jul 07, 2013

Yes, if you buy a resale you get all of the perks except that you can't trade for marriott points.

Linda F.
Jan 24, 2014

I just came back today from FC. Had a great time, but it would be nice to swap a week & go to The Surf Club or some other Marriot property. In the past, my wife was able to swap somehow, but it was a lot of hassle. I'd love to be involved in a network that can swap amongst ourselves. I own at FC, but love the Surf Club too.

jyllu wrote:
We own a platinum floating week at the Aruba Surf club, now 6 years later, and having been to Frenchmen's Cove, it would be nice to swap timeshares with other Marriott owners. Why hasn't a network for Marriott owners been created so we can swap amongst ourselves?? I know Marriott, in typical ROB you blind fashion, has switched over to a point system... FOR A FEE, (was told by an ex-timeshare assoc. DO NOT SWITCH EVER!!) so that we can trade within. Why should we pay them yet more $$ for that convenience? Our Disney Timeshare has always been a point system, at NO CHARGE!!

Carlo P.
Jul 05, 2017

I don't know if they told you but you will be getting a tax bill for your property each year also. Don't fall over when you see what they value the property at. No where what you paid for it. I found it hard to rent because you need to confirm a week at least a year or so in advance, then put it up for rent. Red Week was the only place I found that I would be able to rent it, but that was only once. A few other times I could not rent it. Look on the Red Week Rent list and you will see all the people renting time shares . I have been a owner for ten years...Good Luck

Debbie C.
Jul 05, 2017

No you do not. I would look into this first. I was told you can not use Interval for trading your place for another. But the good thing is you won't have to pay the large price we had to pay Marriott. I paid MORE then half of what it was worth.

Good Luck

Debbie C.

Last edited by debbiec382 on Jul 05, 2017 08:00 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.