Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting a timeshare: How safe is it?

Jul 04, 2007

I want to take my family to maui next year and I was looking at renting a timeshare as an option. I have done a lot of looking and read a lot of forums but I still don't feel that comfortable.

Do people get scammed often? Have most renters had good experiences? Are sites like time shares only or time share adventures good places to look? Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks Jesse

Jesse C.
Jul 05, 2007

It's safe if you use a rental agreement (sample in Buying, Selling and Rental forum here).

Most scammers won't peruse Redweek since this site has all email addresses and contact info in their database (not displayed to the public ... only to members) for anyone listing a timeshare for rent or sale. Many sites list email addresses openly and that's where scammers prey.

We are renting a timeshare in Charleston, SC in September from a Redweek member and we're using a rental agreement. I feel confident with the renter via email communications back and forth.

jessec18 wrote:
I want to take my family to maui next year and I was looking at renting a timeshare as an option. I have done a lot of looking and read a lot of forums but I still don't feel that comfortable.

Do people get scammed often? Have most renters had good experiences? Are sites like time shares only or time share adventures good places to look? Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks Jesse

R P.
Jul 07, 2007

jessec18 wrote:

Thanks Jesse

Hi, Two years ago we rented a 2 bedroom unit at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club; no hassle and no problems. We liked it so much that we bought a 1 bedroom at that time and now we just bought a 2 bedroom in the brand new Lahaina Tower. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have! Thanks! Tracey

Rick and Tracey J.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jul 07, 2007 11:35 AM

Jul 13, 2007

tj051662 wrote:
jessec18 wrote:

Thanks Jesse

Hi, Two years ago we rented a 2 bedroom unit at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club; no hassle and no problems. We liked it so much that we bought a 1 bedroom at that time and now we just bought a 2 bedroom in the brand new Lahaina Tower. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have! Thanks! Tracey

Carl F.
Jul 13, 2007

tj051662 wrote:
jessec18 wrote:

Thanks Jesse

Tracey: We are about to rent a 2 bedroom unit at the same place you stayed. (We also own a unit as well). Can you point me to a good rental agreement? The one provided by the renter seems very restrictive to us. Thank you. Carl

Carl F.
Jul 13, 2007

tj051662 wrote:
jessec18 wrote:

Thanks Jesse

Tracey: We are about to rent a 2 bedroom unit at the same place you stayed. (We also own a unit as well). Can you point me to a good rental agreement? The one provided by the renter seems very restrictive to us. Thank you. Trish

Carl F.
Jul 13, 2007

I have put in an offer to rent a week from a fellow on Redweek. No mention of a rental agreement. I've notdone this before so what should I know before I say yes? Thank you, Wyntre.

Wyntre B.
Jul 14, 2007

SAMPLE RENTAL AGREEMENT

RESERVATIONS - Upon mutual agreement of unit rental, a ____% deposit must be made to confirm your reservation. Balance is due upon written confirmation or no later than _________, 2007. Payment is to be made with a bankcheck/draft (or a personal check if you accept that mode).

CANCELLATIONS - No cancellation allowed once a reservation has been made.

CHECK-IN/OUT - Check-in time is _____ P.M. on arrival date of __________, 2007. Check-out time is _____A.M. on date of departure of_________, 2007. Any exceptions must have prior approval from the owner and/or resort. The agreed upon rental price for the above stated timeframe or week of ______, 2007 is ________$ for unit number ____ at _________ (resort).

RULES AND REGULATIONS - Upon check-in, you must present a credit card to the front desk personnel, just like when you rent a hotel room. YOU are responsible for any damage, loss or theft incurred while renting this property. Any damage, which is not considered normal wear and tear, loss or theft caused by you, the renter, may be charged to your credit card. In order to reserve the integrity of the unit, we ask that it be occupied in a quiet and dignified manner. As guests of ______________(resort), you are expected to respect the premises and its contents and guard against damage, loss or theft. You are expected to adhere to all of _______________(resort) rules and regulations. The _____________ (resort), its employees and property owners will not be held libel for any claims, suits, damages, costs, losses and/or expenses arising from injury to any person or property occurring on the premises resulting from/relating to rental of this property. The renter must be at least 21 years of age and agrees not to sub-rent this unit. The rental rights acquired from this rental agreement are non-transferable.

TELEPHONE - All telephone calls, toll calls etc. will be billed to your credit card. NO PETS ALLOWED AT______________ (RESORT) AND NO SMOKING ALLOWED IN THE UNITS. A copy of this rental agreement is hereby acknowledged by both parties.

_________________ _________________ Signature of renter Signature of owner

Name, address, phone Name, address, phone __________________ __________________

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jul 14, 2007 07:20 AM

Jul 20, 2007

Hi, I have found a unit on Red Week that I would like to rent. I have contacted the owners and they have sent me a vacation condo rental agreement to sign and send the full amont within 7 days. Is is common to send the full amont to the owner? Can I feel it is safe because I found it on Red Week? Thank You.

Laura T.
Jul 20, 2007

laura1733 wrote:
Hi, I have found a unit on Red Week that I would like to rent. I have contacted the owners and they have sent me a vacation condo rental agreement to sign and send the full amont within 7 days. Is is common to send the full amont to the owner? Can I feel it is safe because I found it on Red Week? Thank You.

Hi Laura,

We highly recommend that you and the owner use a Vacation Rental Escrow Service to secure the payment. More information can be found at http://www.redweek.com/help/rental_process/escrow/.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 21, 2007

We have rented several days for September in Charleston from a Redweek member. She has sent me a rental agreement and a confirmation from the resort in my name as a guest of hers (the owner) for the dates we desired. I then sent her a check for the full rental amount. I feel confident that she has done everything by the book as far as the rental goes.

I would never rent without a contract involved and if I had any question as to the integrity of the owner, I would then use an escrow service as Marty stated above.

R P.
Jul 21, 2007

Hi I do have a contract, but they want the full amount, which I understand, but also not sure if Ishould send the full amount. Is this how it works? I saw the agreement on the board here and it says a deposit. They want the full amount. Can I assume that because it is on Red Week it is legite? Thank you.

Laura T.
Jul 21, 2007

laura1733 wrote:
Hi I do have a contract, but they want the full amount, which I understand, but also not sure if Ishould send the full amount. Is this how it works? I saw the agreement on the board here and it says a deposit. They want the full amount. Can I assume that because it is on Red Week it is legite? Thank you.

Redweek is merely a timeshare classifed ad site. They are not involved in member negotiations or their contracts, but you have to use your gut feeling as to whether to trust the owner. How far is the rental in advance? If you don't feel comfortable sending the entire amount now, you should tell the owner you will send half now and half a couple of weeks before your departure date. I think this is a fair approach.

However, if you ever have a problem with a Redweek member not following through with a rental agreement then you should contact the staff here and let them be aware of your complaint. They CAN check into it.

R P.
Jul 24, 2007

We're looking to rent an all inclusive Caribbean timeshare for the last week of Feb 2008. Any suggestions?

Annemarie Q.
Jul 24, 2007

annemarieq wrote:
We're looking to rent an all inclusive Caribbean timeshare for the last week of Feb 2008. Any suggestions?

Have you checked Redweek's rentals in the Caribbean section?

R P.
Jul 26, 2007

wyntreb wrote:
I have put in an offer to rent a week from a fellow on Redweek. No mention of a rental agreement. I've notdone this before so what should I know before I say yes? Thank you, Wyntre.

======== Maybe the owner is new to renting or the time till check-in is very short. You might copy off jayjay's rental agreement from this site and offer it. Paying 50% up front and the balance about 60 days before check-in is typical. When I rent out a week which is pre-reserved I send the renter a copy of the confirmation which is in MY name to prove it exists and is NOT from an RCI or II exchange. When final payment is received, I call the resort and put it into the renter's name. If I have advertised a floating week and a renter chooses a specific week, I check availability and reserve in my name so that it does not "escape"! This is always chancy for the owner since potential renters are too often talking to more than one owner. We sometimes get left holding the bag and have to cancel, which can be a loss to us. If possible, I get final payment before putting the renter's name on the confirmation!

Anyhow, if you are going to rent, do it as far ahead as possible, especially if a floating week is involved. Just because the owner is elegible to request "any time" does not mean that the time you want will be in the inventory. These are not hotels. Planning six months or more ahead is not at all excessive. WAY early for high demand dates and locations. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Jul 26, 2007 08:52 PM

Jul 28, 2007

Does anyone know if renting from someone that has "Sunterra Points" is allowed? I understand RCI's rules on renting an exchange and I want to make sure I don't do anything illegal or against the rules.

Jesse C.
Jul 29, 2007

jessec18 wrote:
Does anyone know if renting from someone that has "Sunterra Points" is allowed? I understand RCI's rules on renting an exchange and I want to make sure I don't do anything illegal or against the rules.

You can rent someone's Sunterra points as long as they have not been deposited with an exchange company.

R P.
Jul 31, 2007

jessec18 wrote:

It is our understanding that Sunterra points owners can reserve a specific week and deposit that into our system.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Aug 01, 2007

jayjay wrote:
laura1733 wrote:

Redweek is merely a timeshare classifed ad site. They are not involved in member negotiations or their contracts, but you have to use your gut feeling as to whether to trust the owner. How far is the rental in advance? If you don't feel comfortable sending the entire amount now, you should tell the owner you will send half now and half a couple of weeks before your departure date. I think this is a fair approach.

However, if you ever have a problem with a Redweek member not following through with a rental agreement then you should contact the staff here and let them be aware of your complaint. They CAN check into it.

You definitely need to have your eyes open. I recently paid $2400 in advance to Jim 1432, aka Steve, aka Ted Tu. He frequently rents either the Four Seasons Aviara, or the Marriott Newport Coast Villas. When I arrived with my family I was mortified to find out he had rented the same timeshare to 2 different families for the SAME week! He then agreed to refund 50% of my rental price but then didn't respond to further attempts to reach him and blew me off. I am sure the vast majority of transactions are done reputably but I would definitely advise against any transactions involving him. Good luck and get it in writing.

Jack M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.