Timeshare Companies

Westgate Property Owners

Sep 08, 2007

My unit is a 3BR fixed week, annual, deeded. When I purchased it in 2000, the so-called 'value' season did not exist - that was only created by Westgate in the last year or so. We were told that all weeks were equal in value.

No, I have not checked resale prices for those particular weeks or any other weeks recently. The resale prices of timeshares usually bear no relation to what people paid a developer, unless it is a company like e.g. Disney or Marriott. The new sellers overprice them and sellers that have had their units on the market for a while start lowering their asking price.

Karen W.
Sep 08, 2007

Hi Karen,

I don't mean to argue with you, but I will share with you my experience. When I bought my first time share from the developer (Westgate) in 2001, my contract specifically stated a floating wek in the value season. In 2002, when I realized the disadvantages to owning a "value" season week, I upgraded (cost 5K) my four bedroom timeshare with the developer to a week 15 fixed week, which is one of the "event" weeks. I can now trade into any week without having to pay an upgrade fee. You will notice that on most resale timeshare sites, there is not much inventory for weeks 6,7,14,15, 26, 51 and 52 available at Westgate Orlando properties. If they are available, there is almost always a higher asking price than you will find for other weeks in the same resort.

Greg

Greg P.
Sep 09, 2007

greg208 wrote:
Hi Karen,

I don't mean to argue with you, but I will share with you my experience. When I bought my first time share from the developer (Westgate) in 2001, my contract specifically stated a floating wek in the value season. In 2002, when I realized the disadvantages to owning a "value" season week, I upgraded (cost 5K) my four bedroom timeshare with the developer to a week 15 fixed week, which is one of the "event" weeks. I can now trade into any week without having to pay an upgrade fee. You will notice that on most resale timeshare sites, there is not much inventory for weeks 6,7,14,15, 26, 51 and 52 available at Westgate Orlando properties. If they are available, there is almost always a higher asking price than you will find for other weeks in the same resort.

Greg

Hey greg, with your upgraded week you'll be able to trade into Westgate's Planet Hollywood in Vegas when it's built.

Some idiot paid in the 100K range for ONE week there preconstruction (and had the nerve to brag about what a good deal he negotiated on another timeshare forum) but you'll be able to trade into it for little invested. This is how the timesharing game SHOULD be played. Kudos to you.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Sep 10, 2007 02:17 PM

Sep 10, 2007

greg208 wrote:
Hi Karen,

Greg

I do not wish to argue either, but this is my experience.

As mentioned before, Westgate never mentioned the concept of value weeks to us when we purchased - they just pushed the fact that all weeks were equal. There is no mention of a 'value' season on our contract and, just our unit number and fixed week number.

When I heard about the devaluation of weeks from someone on another forum (having not received the Westgator newsletter for some time previously) I queried this with Westgate and this is the relevant section of the reply I received. As you will see, they say that the fees are 'new :

... " However, this classification has nothing to do with how your week trades within the Westgate Resorts. As explained in the last two issues of the magazine sent to all owners, the ability to trade your week has always been as a benefit of the Developer by using the unsold inventory weeks. As we have sold these weeks, there are less available weeks for owners like yourself to trade into. Therefore, we have instituted the new fees for all exchanges outside of your week. If you wish to exchange to weeks 1-4, 16-21, 35-46, 48-50, you will simply have to pay the developer exchange fee of $130. If you wish to exchange into any other week, you will have to pay the developer exchange fee plus the seasonal upgrade fee. "

Incidentally, forgive me if I sound rude, but for $5k you could have bought a pretty good Westgate resale from companies such as Timeshares Only and various other websites. In fact you can buy mine for that if you wish!

Karen W.

Last edited by karenw150 on Sep 10, 2007 02:10 AM

Sep 10, 2007

Incidentally, forgive me if I sound rude, but for $5k you could have bought a pretty good Westgate resale from companies such as Timeshares Only and various other websites. In fact you can buy mine for that if you wish!

Thanks for the offer Karen!! (LOL)

This was my first timeshare purchase and I bought from the developer. Since I had already paid developer prices for the 4 bedroom at Westgate, the additional 5K to get an event week made sense. I have since bought 3 additional time shares resale.

If your Westgate property is a four bedroom during an event week at the Town Centre I would buy it in a minute for $5K. Most of the Town Centre 4 bedroom event weeks I have seen posted on various web sites (TUG, Redweek, Remax) are at least $20K and higher.

Sorry to hear that your salesperson was less than honest with you. But I hope at the same time that you are enjoying the use of your time share to spend time with your friends and family,

Greg

Greg P.
Sep 10, 2007

Any time someone gets something that is appropriate for their needs at a price they consider reasonable and affordable, it is a good buy for them.

Mary D.
Sep 10, 2007

Hi. I have never encountered a Westgate salesperson, but you can get up and leave if you wish at any sales presentation. If they physically restrain you, as they did years ago when they locked doors to the sales presentation areas, call your lawyer when you get out. No one can force you to stay somewhere you don't want to be. Stan.

stanleyf5
Sep 11, 2007

stanleyf5 wrote:
Hi. I have never encountered a Westgate salesperson, but you can get up and leave if you wish at any sales presentation. If they physically restrain you, as they did years ago when they locked doors to the sales presentation areas, call your lawyer when you get out. No one can force you to stay somewhere you don't want to be. Stan.

Westgate don't lock the doors in the salesroom and yes you can walk out any time. Even salespeople are working people doing a job and it is not in my character to be rude and just walk out. I am prepared to listen to what is on offer. The only time I have walked out from Westgate was the time I mentioned above and that was only because we were abandoned purposely for around 20 minutes with the literature on all their new properties. Of course I didn't mind them showing their new properties - that was useful info as they were future possible exchanges - it was the abandoning that got me cross!

Karen W.
Sep 11, 2007

karenw150 wrote:
Westgate don't lock the doors in the salesroom and yes you can walk out any time. Even salespeople are working people doing a job and it is not in my character to be rude and just walk out. I am prepared to listen to what is on offer. The only time I have walked out from Westgate was the time I mentioned above and that was only because we were abandoned purposely for around 20 minutes with the literature on all their new properties. Of course I didn't mind them showing their new properties - that was useful info as they were future possible exchanges - it was the abandoning that got me cross!

I think this is part of the sales pitch ... the saleperson abandoning the couple for awhile so they can talk about buying, especially if the couple acts in the least bit interested. The brochures are there to hype the resort for you to read while they're gone. We've had this happen before at presentations.

R P.
Sep 11, 2007

jayjay karenw150 In answer to Adahiscout and Jayjay:

We would not recommend Westgate to anyone. They have promised a Retail and medical center to be built at Westgate Towers since we purchased in 1998. They goals are in sales not in owners satisfaction. I am going this year and will protest to all potential buyers. I ask that all owners do the same. We purchased week 52 for its trading power and now they have taken that away from us. They trade an extra week they have in inventory not our week. Let our voices be heard.

John K.
Nov 01, 2007

greg208

karenw150 wrote:
I am sorry, but I feel that you have missed my point.

When we originally purchased our week we were told that all the Westgate weeks were equal and the prices for the units were the same whichever week you purchased. If Westgate had divided their weeks into seasons, as e.g Marriott does, and we paid less money, then I would have no gripe about having to pay a premium for exchanging into a mroe popular season.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for responding. If you check your contract carefully, you will find that you have most likely bought a value week that floats. The value season is identified on the contract and in most Westgate literature.

Have you checked resale costs for the fixed event weeks (6,7,14,15,26,51,52) at Westgate Florida locations?

Greg

I was an owner of Westgates Resort but cancel BECAUSE TO THE NASTY STAFF - THEY call my husband and I back with a "great offer" ... 1 week full kitchen, any location no block out dates............... WELL, CALL ME STUPID I GOT THE PACKAGE IN THE MAIL CONFIRMING THE TRIP BUT - NOT WHAT I WAS OFFERED? ICALLED BACK AND THE NICE AGENTS WHO MADE THE CALL TO GET THEIR COMMISION WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. I WAS TOLD TO UP GRADE TO ANY LOCATION AND ANU DATE WOULD BE AN ADDITIONAL $426.00 - WESTGATES HAS NO REGARDS TO THEIR HOME OWNERS OR PROSPECTIVE BUYERS ALL THEY WANT IS TO GET YOU THERE AND USE THEIR HIGH SELL TATICS ON YOU - I SAY TAKE THE CHEAP ROOMS RELAX WHILE YOU ARE THEIR GO NO THE TOUR AN AFTER THE VIEWING WALK A.....................WAY!

AND THE WINNER FOR THE WORST TIME SHARE PROPERTY IN THE WORLD!.....................COME ON DOWN "WESTGATES - YOU HAVE WON FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS. WHEN WILL THE PUBLIC LEARN YOU SUCK.

Karren M.
Nov 01, 2007

THE POOREST SERVICE IN THE WORLD.

Karren M.
Dec 12, 2007

I am an owner at Wesgate Vacation Villas. I was not happy when I found out about charging more for certain weeks because when I bought everything was equal. We have been there several times, when we exchange thru them they treat us like outsiders and always seem to do the opposite of what we ask. The staff is hard to understand most of the times unless you speak Spanish. It is a nice place butwhen you need something it seems to take forever for them to respond. I also noticed they took some of the free meals away.

Harry R.
Dec 13, 2007

I don't claim to know much about Westgate, personally, but I must say that I am really astounded by the seemingly universal and absolutely consistent dissatisfaction of Westgate owners, expressed on each and every one of the numerous timeshare sites that I routinely visit.

Westgate (called "Wastegate" by many owners, it seems) must have some VERY slick salespeople if they are somehow able to keep on selling Westgate timeshares despite such widespread disdain and owner dissatisfaction.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 04, 2023 02:37 PM

Dec 13, 2007

I don't know if Ken or any of the other posted this website for unhappy wastegate owners.

I do know that those that have tried to keep it going gets hit hard with Mr S's law firms that represent the west gate corp. Every time they set it up, they have west gate legal tell them to close it down. Must be the same reasoning they thought it would be OK the charge over $1000 in fees when someone tried to sell a unit....was then called a commission :) What a group! Think thats gone.

I wonder if any resorts they have are actually controlled by an independent home owners association. Probably not, they have been kicked out long ago:

Hurry here......before they make them close it, too:

http://westgateresorts.biz/ (No part run by west gate. ....yet)

Kenneth K.
Dec 13, 2007

kekouri stated, in relevant part: >>I don't know if Ken or any of the other posted this website for unhappy wastegate owners. << ==================================

For the record, I do not own (and I have never at any previous time ever owned) a Westgate property. As also already stated, I don't actually claim to know much about Westgate. I was merely observing publicly my own personal surprise (amazement, actually) at just how consistent and widespread the dissatisfaction of Westgate owners is, quite clearly and repeatedly expressed on several different (and completely unrelated to one another) timeshare discussion sites.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 04, 2023 02:38 PM

Dec 13, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
kekouri stated, in relevant part: >>I don't know if Ken or any of the other posted this website for unhappy wastegate owners. << ==================================

For the record, I do not own (and I have never at any previous time ever owned) a Westgate property. As also already stated, I don't actually claim to know a single thing about Westgate. I was merely observing publicly my own personal surprise (amazement, actually) at just how consistent and widespread the dissatisfaction of Westgate owners is, quite clearly and repeatedly expressed on several different (and completely unrelated to one another) timeshare discussion sites.

=======

Well, just to break the chain of criticism, I'll say one nice thing about Westgate. When we bought our first timeshare in Branson, it (Emerald Pointe) was owned by Grandvista. We could exchange into the hand full of other Grandvista resorts for $50--not perfect but OK. Now that Grandvista is part of Westgate, we are allowed to exchange into the other old Grandvistas at no charge.

Exchanging into original Westgate resorts, on the other hand, costs something like $139 for both us Grandvista folks and those who bought Westgate to begin with. (Usually, we bank this week because it is White, though we do love Emerald Pointe, whatever its current name.) MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Dec 14, 2007 10:08 PM

Jan 25, 2008

kekouri wrote:
I don't know if Ken or any of the other posted this website for unhappy wastegate owners.

I do know that those that have tried to keep it going gets hit hard with Mr S's law firms that represent the west gate corp. Every time they set it up, they have west gate legal tell them to close it down. Must be the same reasoning they thought it would be OK the charge over $1000 in fees when someone tried to sell a unit....was then called a commission :) What a group! Think thats gone.

I wonder if any resorts they have are actually controlled by an independent home owners association. Probably not, they have been kicked out long ago:

Hurry here......before they make them close it, too:

http://westgateresorts.biz/ (No part run by west gate. ....yet)

This site still exists but under a different name (timeshareowners.info). It is now a site for westgate owners to voice their concerns, and has evolved into forum for the owners to make suggestions to improve isuues they have with CFI, and also to be realistic in terms of their expectations from Westgate properties.

I have been a very satisfied owner at Westgate Town Center for over 7 years and believe that Westgate is better than most time share companies in terms of delivering what they promise. Yes, there are clearly a few rude employees and some problems with some of the accommodations, but what company doesn't have some of those? The potential buyer of a timeshare has an obligation to do their homework before making a substantial purchase of any kind.

I have maintained a good relationship with my original salesperson at the Town Center (Hi Judith.B!) and she is always willing to go to bat for me when I have any issues with the company.

I also own three other timeshares that I bought resale, and while I enjoy their product, I enjoy being treated as a valued owner, who bought from the developer, at Westgate Town Center.

P.S. I note that the amenities at Town Center are really coming together as originally promised.

Greg P.
Jan 25, 2008

greg208 states in relevant part: >> I have been a very satisfied owner at Westgate Town Center for over 7 years and believe that Westgate is better than most time share companies in terms of delivering what they promise. << --------------------------------------------

I have any ax to grind with Westgate, but I must admit that this is among a VERY few positive postings I've ever read on any timeshare site in regard to Westgate. Far more often, unhappy Westgate owners (and/or former owners) seem to be ranting and raving about what they seem fond of calling "Wastegate" and its, grand poohbah "Mr. Seagull". I'm glad that yours seems to be a good experience, but it certainly seems to be a statistically minority view.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 04, 2023 02:40 PM

Jan 25, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
greg208 states in relevant part: >> I have been a very satisfied owner at Westgate Town Center for over 7 years and believe that Westgate is better than most time share companies in terms of delivering what they promise. << --------------------------------------------

I claim no knowledge about (nor do I have any ax to grind with) Westgate, but I must admit that this is among a VERY few positive postings I've ever read on any timeshare site in regard to Westgate. Far more often, unhappy Westgate owners (and/or former owners) seem to be ranting and raving about what they seem fond of calling "Wastegate" and grand poohbah "Mr. Seagull". I'm glad that yours seems to be a good experience, but it surely seems to be a statistically minority view...

Part of the reason why Westgate receives the amount of comments it does, could be because they are one of the original time share providers. Being around for a long time allows people to develop deepopinions. Also, the newer timeshare companies have learned from what Westgate had to develop themselves. Finally, I am tired of hearing about people's response to the time share presentation. If you decided to take a discounted rate that required a presentation, put up with the 90 minutes and then leave. If you are an owner or guest, don't accept to go unless you are truly interested in purchasing. If someone is rude to you, let them know and ask to speak to a supervisor immediately. I wish that high pressure sales people did not exist, but believe me, they are not exclusive to Westgate.

Greg

Greg P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.