Timeshare Companies

Westgate Property Owners

Aug 15, 2007

We are owners at the Westgate Lakes Orlando Resort. Recently, during a vacation to Las Vegas, we were bumped from our twice confirmed suites at Westgate Flamingo Bay, two days prior to our departure.(Our internal, owners exchange reservation was booked in March 2007 and reconfirmed 3 weeks prior to our August 5, 2007 check-in). We were sent, with the only other option being complete cancellation and loss of our six airline tickets, to the unrated, run down, Summer Bay resort that, unknown to us, was located in a high crime area of Las Vegas. While the staff of Summer Bay was extremely helpful, the accommodations were horrible.Five of our party of six had breathing difficulties the first night due to air conditioning units that were unmaintained with disgustingly clogged filters. The water from the tub ran brown, mold lived and thrived on the shower tiles, the exercise room's equipment and outdoor jacuzzi were broken, and generally, the appearance and structure of the resort was clearly old and falling apart. Prior to our departure, Emerita, from Westgate's coorporate office in Florida told us we were "being upgraded to a five star resort that was nicer than any Westgate property". Needless to say, this was an intentional lie. Upon arriving, we found that Westgate had not only down-graded our accommodations by location, but had also taken us from a two bedroom, two bath villa, to a one bedroom room. All attempts to have Westgate correct the situation, both from corporate and local management were denied. Westgate even refused to pay for an additional one bedroom at Summer Bay to accommodate our party for that night. Management from Westgate's corporate office REFUSED to get on the phone to talk to us. The sales manager at Westgate Flamingo Bay, Chester Hansen, told us that the reason we were bumped had to do with the status of potential purchases. He described a heirarchy of preferred guests based on the likelihood that they would purchase units at the Westgate Las Vegas resort. He said, "The best candidates are those who purchased a trial vacation package, next are Interval International guests who might transfer their current ownership through an upgrade with Westgate". The bottom line was that Westgate owners were given lowest priority! We were promised that everything possible would be done to move us to the Westgate Flamingo Bay property. That is when our calls stopped being answered or returned. We spent five of our seven day vacation in hell. The GM of Westgate Flamimgo Bay, Marylou Fox, finally moved us on day six and would only authorize the refund of our $130.00 exchange fee. After returning home, I immediately called Westgate's corporate headquarters. I was given many excuses, no apology, and to date, no satisfaction or compensation. There were many other families who we met during our last two day stay at Westgate Flamingo Bay resort and five days at Summer Bay whose experience was similar. If you were among those 90+ Westgate owners who had this happen between August 5, 2007 and August 12, 2007, please respond to this posting. Together we have more power for resolution than any of us has alone. Warning: Be cautious when dealing with a Westgate property. Rmemeber that if you are an owner, even a confirmed reservation means nothing to their corporate offices or local management!

Theresa A.
Aug 15, 2007

I've never been an owner of a Westgate timeshare, but in most all internet timeshare forums Westgate's reputation is negative and ruthless. Owners SHOULD get preference over ANYBODY ELSE.

Good luck to you in your continuing endeavor even if you have to take it to the highest echelons of Westgate's corporate headquarters. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

My question is why was Westgate able to maneuver a deal to move you to Summer Bay (not a Westgate owned property)?

R P.
Aug 15, 2007

jayjay wrote:
I've never been an owner of a Westgate timeshare, but in most all internet timeshare forums Westgate's reputation is negative and ruthless. Owners SHOULD get preference over ANYBODY ELSE.

Good luck to you in your continuing endeavor even if you have to take it to the highest echelons of Westgate's corporate headquarters. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

My question is why was Westgate able to maneuver a deal to move you to Summer Bay (not a Westgate owned property)?

Thank you for your response and support. Your question is a good one. Unfortunately, Westgate would not answer that question either. Please pass the word along. Thanks again.

Theresa A.
Aug 15, 2007

theresa30 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

Thank you for your response and support. Your question is a good one. Unfortunately, Westgate would not answer that question either. Please pass the word along. Thanks again.
=======

Since Westgate bought out our first TS resort, this is not good news! The last time we were in Williamsburg we thought we'd stop and see the Westgate resort there. We were told to come back the next day for lunch and we'd also get an update on Westgate since we were not well acquainted with its structure. Well, we came back. The man who invited us was not there but a lady sat us down and tried to get us to buy into a "real Westgate". This would give us Red status instead of White in choosing weeks. She advised against buying into Williamsburg, however, since it does not have the highest exchange power. And, of course, we'd want one which we ourselves would want to go to--because we'd still have to pay a large exchange fee to visit another Westgate. At that point, we said no thanks and she was done with us. No lunch. No chance to see the resort. Not impressed. MD

Mary D.
Aug 16, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
Since Westgate bought out our first TS resort, this is not good news! The last time we were in Williamsburg we thought we'd stop and see the Westgate resort there. We were told to come back the next day for lunch and we'd also get an update on Westgate since we were not well acquainted with its structure. Well, we came back. The man who invited us was not there but a lady sat us down and tried to get us to buy into a "real Westgate". This would give us Red status instead of White in choosing weeks. She advised against buying into Williamsburg, however, since it does not have the highest exchange power. And, of course, we'd want one which we ourselves would want to go to--because we'd still have to pay a large exchange fee to visit another Westgate. At that point, we said no thanks and she was done with us. No lunch. No chance to see the resort. Not impressed. MD

That's typical Westgate. From what I've read they are the worst sharks (salespeople) in the industry. They will wear you down and simply will not take no for an answer. Glad you got away without being pressured into buying.

R P.
Aug 16, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
theresa30 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

=======

Very smart decision! Thanks for the reply.

Theresa A.
Aug 26, 2007

I own a Westgate - the resort I own at is OK, but I dislike their high pressure sales attitude to buy more weeks every time I stay there. I have been trying to sell for some time but no interest even though the selling price is very low so I just try and make the best of it. Our so-called red week was down valued to a 'value' week with no compensation.

Your experience is unacceptable and I wish you every success in your endeavours to get compensation out of Westgate. I have not given this too much thought, but my first feeling is that surely the exchange company must have some sort of liability either on their own or jointly with Westgate? After all, the exchange company had the benefit of the use of your own unit and you did not get the exchange promised to you.

Karen W.
Aug 26, 2007

Quote:
(Our internal, owners exchange reservation was booked in March 2007 and reconfirmed 3 weeks prior to our August 5, 2007 check-in).

It looks as if she did a Westgate internal exchange and not an exchange company exchange. Had she performed an exchange via an exchange company, then yes, she could have had some recourse.

R P.
Aug 26, 2007

karenw150 wrote:
I own a Westgate - the resort I own at is OK, but I dislike their high pressure sales attitude to buy more weeks every time I stay there. I have been trying to sell for some time but no interest even though the selling price is very low so I just try and make the best of it. Our so-called red week was down valued to a 'value' week with no compensation.

Your experience is unacceptable and I wish you every success in your endeavours to get compensation out of Westgate. I have not given this too much thought, but my first feeling is that surely the exchange company must have some sort of liability either on their own or jointly with Westgate? After all, the exchange company had the benefit of the use of your own unit and you did not get the exchange promised to you.

---- May I ask where you own? Is the tourist traffic changing there? I suppose you mean that the exchange companies have changed the dates for Red season. It certainly would not seem to be in Westgate's best interest.

We own a Grandvista/Westgate week at the end of Branson White season which was expected (?) to go Red soon. Well, not yet. Mainly, we bank it with RCI. Oddly, it exchanges quite well! I like it myself, but not in February. MD

Mary D.
Aug 27, 2007

Never mind, I thought you were addressing theresa, but you were addressing Karen.

However, I also don't see how a season color designation can be changed from one color to another. Karen, please explain.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 27, 2007 06:41 AM

Aug 28, 2007

In answer to Adahiscout and Jayjay:

I own at Westgate Lakes on Turkey Lake Road. They are building all along Turkey Lake Rd, but it is still easy to drive up to Sand Lake and turn left to get to Publix etc. Also very easy to turn south of out the resort and then left either over to Sea World / I-Drive or join the I4 down to Disney. Last year we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana on an exchange and although the resort is nice, the traffic on either side of the resort is extremely heavy.

All Westgate Lakes weeks are designated 'Red Weeks' for the purpose of exchanging via exchange companies. However, what Westgate have done with our week, which is in November, is to make it unequal within the Westgate internal exchange system. So, for example, if I want to to Westgate in say, March, I would have to pay an upgrade fee ($500 I believe) to exchange my week, on top of their own exchange fee (roughly the same as Interval's). Although we bought the week when it was equal to any other week, at the same sort of price, Westgate unilaterally decided to devalue it in this way.

One more interesting point is that you cannot deposit your unit with an exchange company anymore. You have to ask Westgate to do it. Westgate then choose a week, not necessarily yours, to deposit. It seems to be that this can work to an owner's disadvantage because the week they deposit can be a different week to the owner's and may therefore be less desirable. I am a little hazy on how this will work in practice but there are some discussions on the TUG website forums.

Karen W.
Aug 28, 2007

karenw150 wrote:

I own at Westgate Lakes on Turkey Lake Road. They are building all along Turkey Lake Rd, but it is still easy to drive up to Sand Lake and turn left to get to Publix etc. Also very easy to turn south of out the resort and then left either over to Sea World / I-Drive or join the I4 down to Disney. Last year we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana on an exchange and although the resort is nice, the traffic on either side of the resort is extremely heavy.

All Westgate Lakes weeks are designated 'Red Weeks' for the purpose of exchanging via exchange companies. However, what Westgate have done with our week, which is in November, is to make it unequal within the Westgate internal exchange system. So, for example, if I want to to Westgate in say, March, I would have to pay an upgrade fee ($500 I believe) to exchange my week, on top of their own exchange fee (roughly the same as Interval's). Although we bought the week when it was equal to any other week, at the same sort of price, Westgate unilaterally decided to devalue it in this way.

One more interesting point is that you cannot deposit your unit with an exchange company anymore. You have to ask Westgate to do it. Westgate then choose a week, not necessarily yours, to deposit. It seems to be that this can work to an owner's disadvantage because the week they deposit can be a different week to the owner's and may therefore be less desirable. I am a little hazy on how this will work in practice but there are some discussions on the TUG website forums.

Thanks for the explanation Karen. It seems they have designated your owned week a pink or off red scenario that even though all weeks in Orlando are considered red, they are different shades of red.

R P.
Aug 28, 2007

Thanks for the explanation Karen. It seems they have designated your owned week a pink or off red scenario that even though all weeks in Orlando are considered red, they are different shades of red.

But what is really annoying is that the original week we purchased was in June. As we cannot usually travel in June and did not realise at the time that the 'small admin fee' for exchanging was actually quite large, we asked if we could permanently swap it for the November week. So they let us do a straight swap. Now that I know more about timesharing I feel very embarrassed about that mistake!!

Karen W.
Aug 28, 2007

karenw150 wrote:
But what is really annoying is that the original week we purchased was in June. As we cannot usually travel in June and did not realise at the time that the 'small admin fee' for exchanging was actually quite large, we asked if we could permanently swap it for the November week. So they let us do a straight swap. Now that I know more about timesharing I feel very embarrassed about that mistake!!

We owned a mid October week in Orlando. We could have bought a bright red summer week, but we wanted to buy when we wanted to go there (in the fall with less crowds, less heat and less humidity), so if you bought mainly to use in November I wouldn't worry about the color designation.

Fall is a great time to go to Orlando .... we were there the week before Thanksgiving last year and the weather was absolutely wonderful and it's usually consistent unless a hurricane is brewing.

Also, we received some really good trades with our off red October week. I know everyone tells you to buy a bright red week since kids are out of school and they are deemed the most popular weeks, but many of the 79 million U.S. babyboomers who are of retirement age, or becoming retirement age soon, prefer to go to Florida when it's not so crowded and hot. The heat and humidity of a Florida summer can be miserable and stifling. I believe off season travel preferences will reflect those 79 million retiring babyboomers in the future.

R P.
Aug 29, 2007

Yes I agree the weather is nice in early November which is when we usually go and I am looking forward to going again this year. The only other time I have been is in March (Spring Break - aghh!) which is when we would have had to pay Westgate an extra upgrade fee. We actually booked a Westgate studio through Expedia instead - worked out cheaper!

Karen W.
Sep 05, 2007

karenw150 wrote:

I own at Westgate Lakes on Turkey Lake Road. All Westgate Lakes weeks are designated 'Red Weeks' for the purpose of exchanging via exchange companies. However, what Westgate have done with our week, which is in November, is to make it unequal within the Westgate internal exchange system. So, for example, if I want to to Westgate in say, March, I would have to pay an upgrade fee ($500 I believe) to exchange my week, on top of their own exchange fee (roughly the same as Interval's). Although we bought the week when it was equal to any other week, at the same sort of price, Westgate unilaterally decided to devalue it in this way.

Hi Karen,

I would like to comment on your post. Firstly, I own at westgate town center and am very happy with how I am treated there. Because I have school age children, I am restricted as to when I can use my timeshare. I am restricted to the more popular weeks (6,7,14,15,26,51 and 52). For this reason I bought a fixed week 15 (Easter), and agreed to pay a higher price to be assured of having easy access to one of these "event" weeks. I would feel deceived by Westgate if they did not charge a premiuum to "value flex week" owners to be able to exchange into one of the "event" weeks, seeing as they paid less for my week than I did. Check the resales, you will find that these event weeks a t Westgates in Orlando demand a premium price.

Westgate did not charge this fee initially, because they had lots of unused "developer" weeks available at the time, but your value season, flex contract should identify the weeks that are available for you to use at no extra cost.

Finally, I find that Westgate gets unfairly treated on most TS forums. Thier staff is no different than most other TS companies. They are all human beings and individuals with different personalities.

Greg

Greg P.
Sep 06, 2007

I would agree that the Westgate vacation counselors are fine. They do not make the rules. MD

Mary D.
Sep 07, 2007

I am sorry, but I feel that you have missed my point.

When we originally purchased our week we were told that all the Westgate weeks were equal and the prices for the units were the same whichever week you purchased. If Westgate had divided their weeks into seasons, as e.g Marriott does, and we paid less money, then I would have no gripe about having to pay a premium for exchanging into a mroe popular season.

Therefore, if I have paid the same for my week as you have for yours, why should I be penalised for exchanging into another 'season'?

Karen W.
Sep 07, 2007

Regarding Westgate staff. I did not comment on individual members of staff. I still believe that Westgate sell too aggressively. For example, the last time we stayed at Westgate we were told that we would have to attend a 'maintenance meeting' with seemingly no option to say 'no'. So we duly wasted a morning of our precious holiday by going along to meet the rep at our appointed time. The meeting took place in the sales room. The rep talked to us for a while and generally told us what our timeshare was worth at that time (something ridiculous like $65k), left us with details of all their new resorts, and went off to apparently obtain our maintenance fees printout. 20 minutes later we saw him milling around at the other end of the room and got fed up with waiting, so we walked out.

Karen W.
Sep 07, 2007

karenw150 I am sorry, but I feel that you have missed my point.

When we originally purchased our week we were told that all the Westgate weeks were equal and the prices for the units were the same whichever week you purchased. If Westgate had divided their weeks into seasons, as e.g Marriott does, and we paid less money, then I would have no gripe about having to pay a premium for exchanging into a mroe popular season.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for responding. If you check your contract carefully, you will find that you have most likely bought a value week that floats. The value season is identified on the contract and in most Westgate literature.

Have you checked resale costs for the fixed event weeks (6,7,14,15,26,51,52) at Westgate Florida locations?

Greg

Greg P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.