Marriott's SurfWatch

MARRIOTT SURFWATCH

Feb 29, 2008

I've just booked a week here directly through Marriott. I read reviews on another website and someone posted that some of the buildings are located very far from the beach. Is this true? I got a great nightly rate on a "gardenview" condo and but I don't want to have to walk a mile with a four year old and beachgear. I also heard that the owners get all of the oceanfront accomodations. Thanks in advance for any disclosure on the worse case condo location scenario.

Kimberly A.
May 30, 2008

I have a question about this resort too. Some of the pictures on this site are artist conception, not real pictures. Is this resort completed or is it still under heavy construction. kimberlya64, I'd be interested in hearing how your experience went regarding the rooms given to non-owners and the state of the resort (construction, etc).

Leonard B.
May 30, 2008

We are leaving this Sunday, June 2. We got $365/night for a three bedroom with a garden view. The description puts it about 1/2 mile from the beach (2700 feet); however, they have golf carts that will transport. I read a few reviews on TripAdvisor and one of them said that the distance was not really a problem because the golf carts run so frequently. TripAdvisor also has actual photos of the resort. I think we will request an upgrade if we get there and the distance is excessive. I will report back here in any case and let you know.

Kimberly A.
Jun 06, 2008

My family and I just got back from Surfwatch today! It is a beautiful resort and construction is totally complete. They really took pains to integrate the resort into the marsh surroundings. They’ve located a number of informational plaques throughout the property describing the surrounding flora and fauna, and salt marsh. We had a three bedroom villa in the 5000 building which is across the pond from the indoor pool and the office. All views from this building look over the pond that you see in the artistic rendering which is very accurate. Our villa looked EXACTLY like it was depicted on the Marriott Vacation Club website. Beautifully appointed, impeccably clean, and well maintained. Do not be discouraged by the 2700 feet distance from the beach because there are golf cart drivers constantly roaming the resort that will get you anywhere you need to go. They run 24 hours and just a front desk phone call away. We even walked to the beach a few time with a four and fifteen year old in tow, cooler and beach gear. It was an easy walk because there are plenty of shortcuts and I'm not super physically fit! There is a great pool bar down by the beach with live music and great food. The resort is in a great location near the mall, Piggly Wiggly, Shelter Cove, and the Hilton Head Diner. The beach was extremely wide and clean. Be sure to walk down the beach and check out Folly Creek which is a fresh water stream that runs directly into the sea. It's a full of sea life and a great educational experience for kids. We can't wait to return next year as this is definitely our new Hilton Head home.

Kimberly A.

Last edited by kimberlya64 on Jun 06, 2008 06:34 PM

Jul 10, 2008

I think we are going to go 11/8/08 to 11/15/08. Do you know how the weather is then. Also we want to ride bikes are there trails close. Thanks. gmock

Georgia M.
Jul 19, 2008

gmaydew wrote:
I think we are going to go 11/8/08 to 11/15/08. Do you know how the weather is then. Also we want to ride bikes are there trails close. Thanks. gmock

We've never vacationed there at that time of the year but it'd take a guess that the temperatures would be in the mid 60's. The beach bar will most likely be closed off season. Bikes can be rented on the resort and trails are all over the island.

Kimberly A.
Aug 29, 2009

We go every Thanksgiving and the weather is perfect. normally in the 70's - 80's. You will enjoy the area tremendousely. Respectfully, BG

Bob G.
Sep 10, 2013

We are going to the Surfwatch at the end of Sept (our favorite time to visit HHI). This is our first time staying at Surfwatch. Can anyone tell us good restaurants at that part of the island?

Jeff
Dec 01, 2013

Stacks is great for breakfast, but a little drive. Harold's is a diner close at hand. Further back toward Bluffton there is Hudson's, sea food right on the water, and a restaurant recently taken over by Chart House (but with a ambiance unique to the Island).

William R.
Dec 01, 2013

We were there at the end of Sept. It's a very nice resort but the buildings are quite far from the beach. We stayed in the closed to the beach and it was still a bit of a walk. They have "golf carts" that will pick you up and drive to the beach so you don't have to actually walk. I would imagine that the "garden view" villas are a pretty good distance from the beach. It was Great for my wife and I but would be a bit of a challenge with small children.

Jeff
Dec 02, 2013

Our visit was over Thanksgiving (2013). Were staying 0n the first floor in the Sea Dunes building with children ages 7 and 9. Was great that they could go out to the shuffleboard court or ping pong with adult supervision from the balcony. Perhaps Jeffd50 was referring to much smaller children, but our grand children walked out to the surf on the first night with me, and checked out the fire pits and indoor pool on the way back. They took it in stride, suggesting they welcomed the exercise after a long trip. It is a bit of a walk to the gym, especially when it's below 45 degrees.

Separately, the energy of the environment and the staff seemed upbeat, with interesting activities - much better than when we visited 3 years ago.

William R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.