May 02, 2008

Besides Redweek----what are some other good places to try to successful sell a timeshare without paying lots of money in upfront fees? Has anyone actually had success selling a timeshare---if so how?

Todd B.
May 03, 2008

toddb69 wrote:
Besides Redweek----what are some other good places to try to successfully sell a timeshare without paying lots of money in upfront fees? Has anyone actually had success selling a timeshare---if so how?
=================================================

First, NEVER pay an "upfront fee" reseller a penny to "sell" your week for you. They won't ever sell it. If you CHOOSE to give these parasites your money anyhow for worthless advertising on obscure sites, you are not a victim --- you will instead merely be a VOLUNTARY contributor to their bank account, of your own free will and choice.

I have sold numerous timeshare weeks on my own. The first and most important key to successfully selling a timeshare is accurately determining its actual current resale market value. You can often find that info by searching "completed sales" on eBay, finding weeks comparable to yours. Those figures are likely at the the low end of actual value for your week, but still show you a rough, current "ball park" value.

Your week needs to be realistically and competitively priced to draw any buyer interest. Although it is hard for some people to accept, the harsh and indisputable fact is that buyers simply DO NOT CARE what YOU paid for your timeshare. All that matters to an intelligent buyer is the current resale value --- TODAY --- a figure which can be easily approximated just by looking around at various Internet sites. If someone can buy an identical or closely comparable advertised week at your resort for $3,000, they will never pay you $6,000 for your week, just because YOU previously paid $6,000. The market value TODAY is what it is, regardless of all prior transaction history.

As far as sites, in addition to RedWeek I also like MyResortNetwork.com. Bidshares is free to advertise there, but has a lot of "tire kickers" and "window shoppers" and gets less exposure than other sites. Craigslist is also free, but seems to attract spammers and scammers and is poorly organized for buyers to locate particular timeshares they might be seeking. Personally, I don't care much for eBay, but that's another relatively low cost option too. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 05, 2008 08:06 AM

May 29, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
toddb69 wrote:
Besides Redweek----what are some other good places to try to successfully sell a timeshare without paying lots of money in upfront fees? Has anyone actually had success selling a timeshare---if so how?

First, NEVER pay an "upfront fee" reseller a penny to "sell" your week for you. They won't ever sell it. If you CHOOSE to give these parasites your money anyhow for worthless advertising on obscure sites, you are not a victim --- you will instead merely be a VOLUNTARY contributor to their bank account, of your own free will and choice.

I have sold numerous timeshare weeks on my own. The first and most important key to successfully selling a timeshare is accurately determining its actual current resale market value. You can often find that info by searching "completed sales" on eBay, finding weeks comparable to yours. Those figures are likely at the the low end of actual value for your week, but still show you a rough, current "ball park" value.

Your week needs to be realistically and competitively priced to draw any buyer interest. Although it is hard for some people to accept, the harsh and indisputable fact is that buyers simply DO NOT CARE what YOU paid for your timeshare. All that matters to an intelligent buyer is the current resale value --- TODAY --- a figure which can be easily approximated just by looking around at various Internet sites. If someone can buy an identical or closely comparable advertised week at your resort for $3,000, they will never pay you $6,000 for your week, just because YOU previously paid $6,000. The market value TODAY is what it is, regardless of all prior transaction history.

As far as sites, in addition to RedWeek I also like MyResortNetwork.com. Bidshares is free to advertise there, but has a lot of "tire kickers" and "window shoppers" and gets less exposure than other sites. Craigslist is also free, but seems to attract spammers and scammers and is poorly organized for buyers to locate particular timeshares they might be seeking. Personally, I don't care much for eBay, but that's another relatively low cost option too. Good luck.

Kathy M.
May 29, 2008

kathym256 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
toddb69 wrote:

Thanks for all the advise for all of us struggling to sell our Timeshares. I thought owning in Maui would be easier, but no luck after 1 yr. now. I keep dropping the price until I'm probably going to end up giving it away. I'll keep trying though. I'm loosing money every yr. just on the maint. fees. Kathy M.

Kathy M.
May 30, 2008

kathym256 wrote:
thanks for all the advise for all of us struggling to sell our Timeshares. I thought owning in Maui would be easier, but no luck after 1 yr. now. I keep dropping the price until I'm probably going to end up giving it away. I'll keep trying though. I'm loosing money every yr. just on the maint. fees. Kathy M.

With airfares at an all time high and getting higher, I don't see Hawaii as a viable option any longer for thousands of people, therefore you may have to almost give your week away.

R P.
May 30, 2008

As a metter of fact, I think we will see a major depression in the travel and timeshare industry with gas and oil getting higher each week.

R P.
Jun 04, 2008

kathym256 wrote:
kathym256 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
toddb69 wrote:

Thanks for all the advise for all of us struggling to sell our Timeshares. I thought owning in Maui would be easier, but no luck after 1 yr. now. I keep dropping the price until I'm probably going to end up giving it away. I'll keep trying though. I'm loosing money every yr. just on the maint. fees. Kathy M.

What's the unit like? What price have you been asking? Tried Craigslist?

Eric E.
Jun 12, 2008

erice2 wrote:
kathym256 wrote:
kathym256 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
toddb69 wrote:

What's the unit like? What price have you been asking? Tried Craigslist?
I have a timeshare at Tunica, Miss. and would like to sell it. I don't want to put money upfront and would like to know how to sell my timeshare. it is paid in full, maintenance is paid for this year.

Susan B.
Jun 12, 2008

although it will get deleted. Ebay is really the only place to actually sell a timeshare.

The truth is every one is trying to make a buck on those who own timeshares, so it will be best if you get stuck with them forever v's finding a way out of them.

Warren F.
Jun 12, 2008

warrenf17 states: Re: >> although it will get deleted. Ebay is really the only place to actually sell a timeshare. << ==========================================

With all due respect, you are wrong on both points:

1. A mere reference to eBay won't get your post deleted just because you mention another web site. The posts that get deleted are self-serving commercial advertising posts masquerading as "discussion". Such "advertising for myself" posts are prohibited from the discussion forums and get promptly deleted --- as they should be.

2. As specifically referenced elsewhere within this very same thread (and in many other forum posts as well), there are actually numerous avenues through which to sell timeshares, several of which are absolutely free (including Bidshares, Craigs List, VacationTimeshareRentals). RedWeek and MyResortNetwork are generally also good selling sites, although both charge the seller modest advertising fees. Timeshare Users Group (TUG) now allows absolutely free "for sale" ads, but only to its members (TUG membership is about $10 per year).

In short, eBay is only one of numerous available selling options. That said, it WOULD at least be true and correct to say (although you never actually say...) that eBay sales currently dictate (and demonstrate) the low end of market value for most any given timeshare week today. By viewing "completed auctions", a prospective seller can often get a rough idea of current market value which, unfortunately, sometimes means little or no value at all. I've personally sold three of my timeshare weeks just in the past year or so --- and I have NEVER used (or ever even tried to use) eBay for advertising. In terms of cost, it took several months in time and less than $100 total combined monetary expenditure. That said, however, the location and the week of a timeshare makes all the difference in the world as far as its "marketability" goes. If no one wants to go where a particular timeshare is located and/or when it is actually available for use, then such a timeshare essentially has no real monetary worth. In such cases, the only real "value" is to its owner for actual use or, if he/she is lucky, to make an "exchange" to go somewhere else via one of the numerous available exchange companies and mechanisms. That said, however, a "rusty iron pipe deposit" will never get anyone a "solid gold bar exchange" in return, although many people seem to want to believe otherwise...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 12, 2008 01:34 PM

Jun 12, 2008

I am glad that you got to sell some units. That is very lucky and you must of priced them right. That said, today people want OUT of their units period, I did and found a way out.

Cost of oil and utilities are going through the roof. Food and essentials are starting to follow. Until an alternative fuel source is created and made affordable. People are not going to travel far.

MFs are going to sky rocket as;

1 fuel and utilities needed to heat cool and light the resorts.

2 fuel used in maintaining grounds.

3 Cost of living increases for the employees

4 amount of deadbeats the resorts cannot collect fees from. this number is projected to soar.

5 Already seen the first of many resorts to fold

6 As resorts get older they decide to revamp and rebuild charging members $3-4000 in special fees. If your resort is older watch out for it.

7 I specifically along with more expensive companies take units and kill them off on a daily basis. Again the resorts can not collect on them so you pay higher usage fees. I get a lot of those with the special fees.

7 this all has a snowball effect. Eventually all resorts will go under and new ones will be built.

So if you were able to get money for yours v's paying, you did well. Times are changing and changing fast.

Warren F.
Jun 12, 2008

warrenf17 wrote:
I am glad that you got to sell some units. That is very lucky and you must of priced them right. That said, today people want OUT of their units period, I did and found a way out.

Cost of oil and utilities are going through the roof. Food and essentials are starting to follow. Until an alternative fuel source is created and made affordable. People are not going to travel far.

4 amount of deadbeats the resorts cannot collect fees from. this number is projected to soar.

6 As resorts get older they decide to revamp and rebuild charging members $3-4000 in special fees. If your resort is older watch out for it.

7 I specifically along with more expensive companies take units and kill them off on a daily basis. Again the resorts can not collect on them so you pay higher usage fees. I get a lot of those with the special fees.

7 this all has a snowball effect. Eventually all resorts will go under and new ones will be built.

So if you were able to get money for yours v's paying, you did well. Times are changing and changing fast.

===============================================

You are certainly entitled to possess and express your opinion, but after 25 years of timeshare ownership I simply do not share your apparent belief that "the sky is falling". To date, I see no factual evidence to support that particular claim. Personally, I don't see (or project) ANY resorts "going under" and I certainly don't believe that many new timeshare facilities will be built anytime soon. The only claim you make with which I can actually agree is that maintenance fees will indeed continue to rise.

I also don't at all understand your rather odd claim of "taking units and killing them off on a daily basis". This makes no procedural sense to me at all. Any week owned by recorded deed at any given moment in time belongs to SOMEONE. You can't realistically (or credibly) claim to make a deeded ownerhip (or responsibility) just "magically disappear".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 12, 2008 01:58 PM

Jun 12, 2008

What was the name of the resort timeshare on Cape Cod that went under about a month or two ago. Sorry it happened and in the news in this area they claimed others to be in trouble.

I understand you have a different opinion and if these places are so valuable, check out the listings on this sight. You can find them for under $100.00 left and right. They are bargains and you and other that claim them to be worth so much can load up on them. when you are through you can go to ebay, bid shares bid for assets and load up on some more. Every resort imaginable has had their units on auction and went for less than $100. There is not one resort that is 3 years old, that has not been auctioned off for nothing or listed for nothing. These units are in the same areas and locations where people are asking thousands, even at the same resort. If they were worth thousands like they are asking why don't they buy the one for $10.00.

Fact is timeshare sales are rock bottom and it is going to get worse. You name a resort and within a month I will show you where one is listed for under $200.00. Wyndham, Marriots and Key West excluded. Their might be a few others in the USA that currently still have some value. But even these are rapidly going down.

Warren F.
Jun 12, 2008

warrenf17 states: >> Fact is timeshare sales are rock bottom and it is going to get worse. You name a resort and within a month I will show you where one is listed for under $200.00. Wyndham, Marriots and Key West excluded. Their might be a few others in the USA that currently still have some value. But even these are rapidly going down.<< =============================================

Frankly, I think you are making some very broad statements and conclusions based upon very limited knowledge and a few non-specific "examples". Stated less diplomatically, I believe that you don't know what you're talking about.

That much now clearly said, I will also openly state that based upon the limited (and mostly incoherent and inaccurate) "information" which you've posted in these RedWeek forums, I believe that the self-serving commercial activity you continue to peddle here is essentially illegal in the first place. Fortunately, there is no means for an unsuspecting or unwary person to actually contact you directly (or vice versa) and thereby fall prey to your proposed scheme of "pay me $300 and I'll then unlawfully attempt to hide the actual ownership by toying around with deeds".

Exposure of all postings to the bright sunlight is the underlying beauty and benefit of these open RedWeek forums. Smoke and mirrors usually get promptly revealed and exposed for what they really are --- just smoke and mirrors. Accordingly, I suspect that you won't be around here much longer, so please allow me be among the first to bid you "adieu"....and good riddance.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 13, 2008 06:43 AM

Jun 13, 2008

warrenf17 wrote:

Unfortunately, many points that warren has stated above is probably true. Travel will become a luxury item in the future. The economy and the oil crisis will continue to have a ripple affect throughout our country and the world and it will only get worse.

I predict millions of foreclosures on timeshares as people's main objective will be putting food on the table (getting higher), paying electric and natural gas bills and buying gasoline just to get to work. Paying maintenance fees for a luxury item such as a timeshare will not even be considered in thousands of budgets.

A friend of ours that lives in Florida told us the other day that he filled both his wife's car and his truck and the total was $140. This is crazy.

I predict many resorts will go under and those still in active sales will be grossly affected as people will not be able to afford a timeshare or the gas or airline tickets to get there.

One point warren made that I do disagree with is that older resorts will go under and new ones will be built ..... a developer would be out of his mind to build new resorts in this economy. Who could afford to buy the weeks?

It's a sad state of affairs all caused by oil and with China and India becoming burgeoning economies with their rising use of oil on a daily basis, I don't see this crisis going away anytime soon.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 13, 2008 08:35 AM

Jun 16, 2008

warrenf17 asked, perhaps only rhetorically: >> What was the name of the resort timeshare on Cape Cod that went under about a month or two ago. Sorry it happened and in the news in this area..... << ==============================================

Once again, you've posted more incomplete and inaccurate "information" in these forums. If you (or any others) are even remotely interested in the actual, correct facts on this particular matter, here they are:

1. The facility you vaguely mention (but apparently can't even name) is Navigator Beach Club, located on Cape Cod, specifically in Dennisport, MA.

2. This facility was actually a motel (under the name "Spouting Whale" or something similar). An individual named Robert Reposa attempted (in theory, anyhow) to convert this motel to a timeshare facility --- but he never actually did so. Nonetheless, numerous (dozens, maybe many more) people foolishly paid him good money for timeshare deeds which they never got (and clearly now never will).

The facility never even opened its doors as a timeshare in the first place, so it's simply NOT accurate to describe this situation as a "timeshare gone under". More accurately, this situation appears to be one of developer theft or misuse of funds collected from unwary, would-be buyers. The place was NEVER actually an operational timeshare facility, and clearly now won't ever be, since;

3. The property was foreclosed upon in April, 2008 when Reposa didn't pay his loan obligations; the entire property was sold off at auction for $2.7 million dollars. The new owners have made it very clear that they have no obligation to, no interest in (or any intentions at all toward) ever making this place a timeshare facility. Those people who purchased "timeshare weeks" that never really existed at all in the first place will now likely be just plain out of luck, unless they can manage to sue Reposa personally to try to obtain judgements against him and somehow access his personal assets through the courts.

While I grow a bit weary of having to counter your numerous false, vague generalizations in these RedWeek forums by instead providing correct, factual information in their place, I do so because I don't want to see innocent, unknowing people blindly "buy into" your ongoing, inaccurate (and seemingly endless) supply of BS, some of which actually seems to solicit participation in fraud; for a $300 fee, no less. You don't need a RedWeek account nearly as much as you'll sooner or later likely need the services of a good defense attorney!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 16, 2008 01:46 PM

Jun 17, 2008

CAN YOU SELL YOUR TIMESHARE ON A CONTRACT FOR DEED WITH SMALL DOWN AND LOW INTREST

George M.

Last edited by george830 on Jun 17, 2008 07:43 PM

Jun 18, 2008

george830 wrote:
CAN YOU SELL YOUR TIMESHARE ON A CONTRACT FOR DEED WITH SMALL DOWN AND LOW INTREST

I've never heard of a resale being sold like this from an individual, but it doesn't mean it's never happened.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.