Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

timeshare liability insurance

Jun 20, 2008

I am renting my timeshare. How can I purchase liability insurance if my renter hurts themself while at my timeshare.

Dave

David N.
Jun 20, 2008

davidn130 states / asks: >>I am renting my timeshare. How can I purchase liability insurance if my renter hurts themself while at my timeshare.<< ============================================

In 25 years of timeshare ownership, I've honestly never heard of "timeshare owner liability insurance". I'm not suggesting that it doesn't exist and / or that it can't somehow be obtained, but wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just write a complete waiver of liability clause into your rental agreement, which will then bear the renters' acceptance of same, under his / her / their signature(s)?

The facility, of course, already has insurance (which you are paying for as an owner, within your annual maintenance fees). Except as relates to the actual rental transaction itself, it's hard to imagine how / why a renter could attempt to hold YOU personally responsible for ANYTHING which occured while they were at your resort. YOU didn't set up the facility and YOU have no individual opportunity or authority to change anything there on your own. That all said, I also certainly acknowledge that in a litigious and "victim mentality" society, someone is always looking to blame someone else for some occurrence or event of their own making, responsibility or accountability.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 21, 2008 03:06 AM

Jan 28, 2012

If I rent a time share to someone, how can I protect my liability if my renter destroys something or hurts himself, etc. Charles

Charles A.
Jan 31, 2012

charlesa213 wrote:
If I rent a time share to someone, how can I protect my liability if my renter destroys something or hurts himself, etc. Charles

All resorts require a credit card number when checking in, however if damage is done to your unit from your renter and the renter refuses to pay for the damages then the ultimate responsibility is the owner. I haven't seen this happen in all the 12 years I've been reading about timeshare concerns.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 31, 2012 07:35 AM

Feb 02, 2012

In your rental contact, it would be a good idea just to have the issues in regards to damage and who is liable. Never hurts to cover your back with todays society.

Carol S.
May 25, 2012

Better safe than sorry. Peace of mind is worth a few bucks in my opinion.

Travis D.
Feb 22, 2017

How would my Complete Waiver of Liability Clause be stated in my timeshare short term rental agreement?

I have found a workable answer, so there is no need to respond.

Bill S.

Last edited by billseno on Feb 22, 2017 07:14 PM

Oct 31, 2022

Do you mind sharing your solution?

billseno wrote:
How would my Complete Waiver of Liability Clause be stated in my timeshare short term rental agreement?

I have found a workable answer, so there is no need to respond.

Susan L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.