Feb 11, 2009

To all potential renters - be aware that RedWeek does not screen those who advertise properties for rent. As a result, I lost over $1,000 to a scammer who rented me a week at a legitimate resort. Problem was - the 'owner' did not own at the property. RedWeek will not assume any monetary responsibility for the loss. Only now has a warning been posted on the website. It was an expensive lesson - but I will never use RedWeek again - nor will I ever recommend anyone else to use RedWeek.

Anne M.
Feb 11, 2009

this also happened to me hilton grand vacations confirmed my reservation, only to cancel it, when the middle -man/woman took off with the rental money and didn't pay on the reservation. They claim no responsibility for bookings through brokers or second parties.

Jane S.

Last edited by janes272 on Feb 11, 2009 02:12 PM

Feb 11, 2009

annem56 wrote:
To all potential renters - be aware that RedWeek does not screen those who advertise properties for rent. As a result, I lost over $1,000 to a scammer who rented me a week at a legitimate resort. Problem was - the 'owner' did not own at the property. RedWeek will not assume any monetary responsibility for the loss. Only now has a warning been posted on the website. It was an expensive lesson - but I will never use RedWeek again - nor will I ever recommend anyone else to use RedWeek.

Hi Ann Marie,

A warning has been on the RedWish page alerting members for the potential of scams for well over a year. We always recommend an escrow company be used in the rental transaction to protect both parties. If one is not used there isn't a lot we can do except warn other members and deactivate the scammer's account with us.

Unfortunately, we don't usually hear about the scams until numerous people are hit. Now, more than ever people need to be diligent in protecting the money they are spending. The bad economy usually means more crooks will be out there trying o steal your hard earned money.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Feb 19, 2009

There's another new scam out there. I was called by a "resort locator" in NV who had customers wanting my timeshare. The paperwork looked legit. I only realized there was a problem when they said I only had to pay the title search fee - which they did themselves. Of course they wanted me to pay that part. Oddly enough I was asked to go to the local Wal-Mart and wire money to a Keshonda in FL. Yes, you read that right. They had a good scam going but couldn't close the deal. The point is, they're trying to get your fee up front, then your offer mysteriously goes away and they quit taking your calls.

Ken G.
Feb 20, 2009

keng119 wrote:
I only realized there was a problem when they said I only had to pay the title search fee - which they did themselves. Of course they wanted me to pay that part.

Which I'm sure was several hundred dollars .... that's all the wanted .... they weren't interested in selling your timeshare.

R P.
Feb 20, 2009

keng119 wrote:
There's another new scam out there. I was called by a "resort locator" in NV who had customers wanting my timeshare. The paperwork looked legit. I only realized there was a problem when they said I only had to pay the title search fee - which they did themselves. Of course they wanted me to pay that part. Oddly enough I was asked to go to the local Wal-Mart and wire money to a Keshonda in FL. Yes, you read that right. They had a good scam going but couldn't close the deal. The point is, they're trying to get your fee up front, then your offer mysteriously goes away and they quit taking your calls.
A couple years ago I had conversations with a woman from a "Vacation Club". Alledgedly she had a client who wanted to vacation in an area where there were no availabilities from the "club".

I told here, "No problem, I'm want $x.xx for rent, and when I get paid I'll put the reservation in the "client's" name. Needless to say, the "client" decided he/she did not want the unit anymore.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Feb 20, 2009 08:42 AM

Feb 21, 2009

I have heard of a company called Timeshare Relief that helps you walk away from your time share. Anyone hear of them or have any comments?

Ken G.
Mar 06, 2009

I just recently decided to rent out our weeks and also found scammers at all of the sites mentioned here. They all want up front fees and I haven't found one yet that will list my weeks when i tell them I have no problem paying their fee and commission on top, once they find me a renter.

Companies that were recommended to me by my Timeshare Resort... all get rid of me quickly and won't give me any more info. Resort Rentals, Destination International, Royal Marketing and others that i found online.

They all tell me this is the hot time to sell, want to get my 1-time fee right now! Most of the horror stories i've read here are identical to what i've been thru.

I decided to start my own site and see if i could get enough exposure to rent my own weeks. I'm going to try and figure out how to run a website over the next few days. Nobody pays anything until they get paid!

Wish me luck!

New I.

Last edited by marty8084 on Mar 07, 2009 03:20 AM

Mar 07, 2009

My parents used time share relief and paid to walk away from their time shares. Some of the old ones, not sure about more recent ones, were sold in perpetuity. Meaning the responsibility to pay the fees fell to your children after you died. These people help you make them go away.

I'm considering doing it myself but it costs money. My kids are young and we can't really use it much. Just costs us fees and taxes.

Ken G.
Mar 07, 2009

I'll be your first customer!

Ken G.
Mar 22, 2009

In February I received several calls throughout the day from Todd Palmer and his female coworker stating he was with Village Trader, Orlando, FL. He had a buyer for my timeshare who was attempting to get 100% approved financed by a bank. And, if this buyer decided not to go through with the deal that I would receive the cancellation fee that they had collected in advance from the buyer. Conveniently, after 5:00 pm, "Todd" called me back stating the deal was a go (which I kept saved on my cell phone voice message). Now, all I had to do was to give him my credit card number for a $2,000.00 fee (title search, deed, etc). When I asked why he was wanting to collect the money instead of the title company he placed me on hold. After about 3 minutes, "Todd" returned w/an unacceptable explanation. I further quizzed him for the Title Company, address, telephone number and the Attorney. "Todd" provide answers to all of the questions except Attorney's name. "Todd" said, Emerald Sea Title, 419 Magnolia, Orlando, 32801, 407-648-0048. So, I told "Todd" I would get back with him in the morning, and that I would not give him a cent until I verify information. After the call, I searched the internet. Sure enough Emeral Sea Title was listed with a website. The very next morning, I contacted Emerald Sea Title and asked for the attorney working with the "Village Trader." The lady at Emerald said, "you must be talking about Rick, his number is 407.648.8212. I called and left several messages to a voice message and live person. However, I never received a return call from Rick or Todd. The Attorney General said the other day, 9 times out of 10, if a company/person is asking for money upfront to run. And, just two weeks ago, I replied to a Redweek posting to sell a N. Myrtle Beach Timeshare. This man wanted me to send funds to his paypal account so that "he" could pay the title company. I said, "no, we should use title company with Redweek, and I'll send the $900 bucks to them." Never heard back from the man. With today's economy state people are despert. I am convinced that people will try anything...so buyer be aware!!!!!

Tonya B.
Mar 23, 2009

Congrats on see these guys for what they are...rip-off artists. If you gave them the $$ you would've seen the buyer AND your cash mysterioulsy disappear.

Once someone calls their bluff, by requesting to use a closing company of your choice, these guys disappear. $2000 for closing costs is really excessive and in addition the BUYER usually covers these costs.

Mike N.
Apr 18, 2009

Has anyone used or heard about GMAC TIMESHARE RESALE or TIME SHARE RELIEF? What can you tell me about these 2 companies? Do they do what they say they do? Or are the SCAM rip of companies?

Troyden T.
Apr 19, 2009

troydent wrote:
Has anyone used or heard about GMAC TIMESHARE RESALE or TIME SHARE RELIEF? What can you tell me about these 2 companies? Do they do what they say they do? Or are the SCAM rip of companies?

As far as GMAC Timeshare Resale, if they ask for an upfront fee in the hundreds of dollars run as fast as you can (and I believe they do so don't be fooled by the name GMAC).

Timeshare Relief is a postcard company that sends out postcards to timeshare owners expressing their interest in buying your timeshare and to invite you to a presentation in your area, however they want YOU to GIVE them $3-$4 thousand dollars for this privilege.

They then turn around and put it on Ebay for $1 .... they've already made their money, however there have been reports that some timeshares have stayed in the former owner's name and they are still being billed for maintenance fees and special assessments.

R P.
Apr 21, 2009

jayjay is right on the button. DO NOT pay companies up front. You're basically throwing your money out the window. As soon as they receive your payment, they lose any incentive to try and help you.

Homepage http://www.timeshares4dummies.com

G J.
Apr 22, 2009

gj18 wrote:
jayjay is right on the button. DO NOT pay companies up front. You're basically throwing your money out the window. As soon as they receive your payment, they lose any incentive to try and help you.

I looked at the links you provided on your webpage (Timeshare 4 Dummies) and one link says 'turn your banked weeks into cash'. It's against RCI and II rules and regulations to sale or rent banked weeks. If you're caught doing this, your membership can be suspended forever and your buyer or renter turned away at check-in. Just thought you might like to take that link off your webpage.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 22, 2009 08:13 AM

Apr 22, 2009

I appreciate you pointing that out. I'll have to forward this to google (who manages the ads) as I'm sure they don't condone advertising illegal activity.

Update: I have informed google and put a note on the front page regarding the issue.

G J.

Last edited by gj18 on Apr 22, 2009 03:40 PM

Apr 24, 2009

marty8084 wrote:
annem56 wrote:

Hi Ann Marie,

A warning has been on the RedWish page alerting members for the potential of scams for well over a year. We always recommend an escrow company be used in the rental transaction to protect both parties. If one is not used there isn't a lot we can do except warn other members and deactivate the scammer's account with us.

Unfortunately, we don't usually hear about the scams until numerous people are hit. Now, more than ever people need to be diligent in protecting the money they are spending. The bad economy usually means more crooks will be out there trying o steal your hard earned money.

Thanks, Marty

Whitney W.
Sep 15, 2009

Today I had a gentleman named Henry James call me from Royal Resorts in Las Vegas. He stated that they had a company that wanted to buy 25 weeks at the timeshare in Florida that I own at. He stated that they would offer me 41,400 dollars for my contract. All I had to do was send them 2000 to hold in escrow for title searches, etc and I would get that back with the purchase check. I took his number but am not going to call him back. I serached the net for any scam warnings about this comapny even searched the BBB website. I knew something was up but this upfront fee area really drove home that more than likely this is a scam. If it sounds too good to be true....

Laurie W.
Sep 15, 2009

As much as us regulars post the number one warning on all timeshare forums "DO NOT DEAL WITH UPFRONT COMPANIES" Owners still do it.

Everyone on these forums that do hear us and learn need to also tell everyone that listens in timesharing.

Only way to put these low-life,bottom feeder,parasites out of their scamming business!

PHIL

Phil L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.