Point Systems

Marriott Going to Point Syst

Jun 23, 2012

When I traded my weeks, for my home resort with interval , I traded weeks ..not points! I enrolled for points, but I make the choice to use points or my weeks . I look at it Asa convenience .

Connie M.
Jun 25, 2012

Just saw your post; feel free to call with the comparison. If you bought the weeks direct from Marriott, the choice is simple and you go into points. If not, it's more difficult.

Andy Miller

Andy M.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 28, 2012 02:16 AM

Jul 25, 2012

We bought direct from Marriott 6 years ago. Annual Platinum Plus, week 52 at Harbour Lake. We declined to convert to the points system in November 2010 after we were told that in order to get the same week we would have to pay an additional 13K. Does that sounds right? Now that we've declined, what are our options?

Susan M.
Jul 25, 2012

Call Marriott at 888-682-4862 and ask them. There is no way someone can give you advise without first asking you a bunch of questions.

J E.
Jul 25, 2012

susan722 wrote:
We bought direct from Marriott 6 years ago. Annual Platinum Plus, week 52 at Harbour Lake. We declined to convert to the points system in November 2010 after we were told that in order to get the same week we would have to pay an additional 13K. Does that sounds right? Now that we've declined, what are our options?

I believe you may have misunderstood what was said to you. First, if you decided to participate in the points program, if you wanted to use your week 52 you would not use points. You would reserve that week 52 as you always have done but simply making the reservation online or by calling Marriott.

Secondly, if you joined the points program and did not wish to use your week 52, but wanted to stay at another Marriott property or take a cruise/tour instead, you would make a decision to convert to Destination Club points and use the required number of points to do what you would like to do. It's that simple.

As far as the extra $13,000, the only thing I can think they were trying to tell you was that if you were to buy points today for your unit, it would cost you more than when you bought it in weeks. However, this is insignificant to you because you already own the week so you don't have to pay again. That 13K extra would be for a new person trying to buy enough points with Marriott for your same week.

I hope this makes sense.

Charles S.
Jul 26, 2012

i am too going this month here.

Breet H.
Sep 07, 2012

Wow, if you purchase new points you will take a bath selling them. In order fot a third party purchaser of points to actually use what they just purchased they have to pay Marriott the following fees: 50 for general transfer, 300 for education, 2000 for initiation, and 200 for each 250 points being purshases. Thus, the cost to the new buyer of 3000 points on the open market is as follows: 50 300 2000 2400 (3000 points / 250 x 200) 4750 Total

Thus, the new buyer must pay you at least 4750 less then he can purchase the points directly from Marriott. The practical implications of this is Marriott lots of money, you get screwed.

For someone to purchase something from you and then have to pay the above fees to use what they just purchased is morally wrong. \ Ok you bloggers, check it and and report.

(Info was furnished by Marriott's transfer group on 9/7/12)

J E.
Sep 07, 2012

Thanks for researching and sharing (exposing) this. If buyers knew all this, they would buy weeks in the aftermarket.

Den
Sep 08, 2012

The point system as I understand it------ seems like a good way to ensure fairness all--- to owners renters and exchangers. Values change dramatically based on seasonal demand . The only issue is --- who determines value. I suggest the owner do

Roy B.
Sep 10, 2012

I agree with you. Better to use it, trade it or rent it than give it up for the measly points.

I hope MVC dont force us to convert to a points system.

I have declined all of the Convert to a Points System so far.

Steve H.
Sep 11, 2012

steveh625 wrote:
I agree with you. Better to use it, trade it or rent it than give it up for the measly points.

I hope MVC dont force us to convert to a points system.

I have declined all of the Convert to a Points System so far.

With floating/ legacy weeks, Marriott can't force you to do anything. All Marriott properties developed under the legacy program have covenants and restrictions recorded at the courthouse that are put into place prior to any development and sales. These covenants specify how the project will work and its operations. Only the homeowners (association) can amend these documents after the development has been turned over to the homeowners. It usually requires a fairly significant number of homeowners (75%) to approve any change.

Look at it this way, the homeowners own the timeshare property - Marriott works for the homeowner association through a management agreement with the homeowners association. Marriott is not too forth coming with letting owners know how this relationship works - so owners have this idea that Marriott can force them to do whatever they see fit. But this is simply not so. It's actually the other way around - the homeowner association actually has the ability to dictate what exactly Marriott is supposed to do.

With points however - this is a different story as Marriott (and other developers) does not turn over the developed property to the homeowner association. They are in complete control of the Destination Point program and those point based properties they develop. They do have much more broad-based control to do in essence whatever they see fit. You are definitely at their mercy.

Many owners simply do not realize that their homeowner associations have much more control and power than they actually exert at times. This is one of the reasons that Marriott has gone to destination points - purely for control.

Sure they package it to their owners and new buyers as more flexibility and a better way to vacation - but as some one that has been on the other side - it is for control.

R Michael F.

Last edited by rm5 on Sep 11, 2012 08:59 AM

Oct 12, 2012

This is all very interesting. We own 3 Marriott weeks and have attended 2 'points' presentations at Palm Desert. Last year they told us it would cost us $40,000 ... two weeks ago they told us $14,000! Doesn't sound like the points program is going so well.

It makes no sense to us to 'buy points'. What guarantee do we have that 5 or 10 years from now it won't cost more points for one week at a destination than it costs for a week in points this year? With Marriott determining 'points value' they could easily raise points usage at their resorts thereby reducing the time our points would 'buy' in the future.

At least with deeded weeks you can exchange for another full week.

Ellen T.
Oct 13, 2012

ellen456 wrote:
This is all very interesting. We own 3 Marriott weeks and have attended 2 'points' presentations at Palm Desert. Last year they told us it would cost us $40,000 ... two weeks ago they told us $14,000! Doesn't sound like the points program is going so well.

It makes no sense to us to 'buy points'. What guarantee do we have that 5 or 10 years from now it won't cost more points for one week at a destination than it costs for a week in points this year? With Marriott determining 'points value' they could easily raise points usage at their resorts thereby reducing the time our points would 'buy' in the future.

At least with deeded weeks you can exchange for another full week.

Ellen, I don't know how your presentation went from $40,000 to $14,000 unless you were being offered different amounts of points. Marriott has not made any changes that huge in their prices.

I am not sure what properties you own, but if you own three weeks there are definitely some advantages the points system would afford you especially if you lock off your units and/or stay at other Marriotts, trade for Marriott Rewards points and use II You could save money.

In addition, I have belonged to two point systems and they cannot raise the points needed to stay a week unless they change the structure of the room so that it's not the same and even then they have to provide an equivalent. I have never experienced a change in points per room in the 15 years I have been in timesharing.

I would suggest you go to Timeshare Users Group (TUG) at www.tug2.net there a many, many Marriott owners that discuss their experiences and knowledge of Marriott timeshares. You gain great greater knowledge about the point system. In fact, they know more than the salespeople who are just trying to make a buck. You will more than likely learn you should have joined especially when it was cheaper to enroll back in June. You can still enroll now, but it costs more. It may be to your advantage to join and not even ever choose to use points, but because of the other cost savings you may decide that it might be wise to join Marriott's Destination Club. Make sure you get good information before making a final decision.

Charles S.
Oct 28, 2012

HELP!!! We are newbies to Mariott time share, although we have owned timeshare in Hilton Head (RCI exchange) for many many years. We got 1 week from my wife's parents at one of the Mariott properties in Aruba and as a new owner, we were invited to a presentation at one of the Mariott properties near where we live. The guy there spent a couple of hours talking about the benefits of the Vacation Club and Trust points and as we just got the Aruba week, we scheduled some additional time with him - hoping he could help us get our week of vacation scheduled - we knew nothing about when you need to deposit or request Mariott Points. He then tells us that we should buy trust points and my wife thinks this is a great deal - we get to buy 2500 points for about $28,000 and this will allow us to use our week for MVC without spending the conversion fee and we no longer have to pay for II or any other fees and we increase our ability to get units at MVC properties and the best is if we convert all to Mariott Rewards we can get a really nice vacation, air included (and we can charge the purchase price on the Mariott charge card and get even more MR points). He shows us how he has been able to help others who purchased 2500 points get a vacation worth close to $30,000 - sounds like a bargain when the points cost $28,000 and you get to use them year after year. It was a good thing we saw him late in the day and they couldn't process the deal that day, so still haven't spent any money and now we are having second thoughts. On the surface, seems like a great deal - get a great vacation the first year worth about what you spent for the trust points and then get the ability to get a nicer vacation each year for just the additinoal cost for maintenance. However, this seems too good to be true and many of the comments in this forum seem to make me think this whole MVC idea is just not so smart. I could really use your input here before we make a bad decision. Sorry for the long winded request for help.

Robert D.
Oct 28, 2012

Can't imagine any vacation that they give you points for being worth $30k. Also, not so keen on the Destination Points even though I converted some of my weeks that I already own. If I were trying to get more timeshare, I'd stick with the deeded weeks and would buy from the secondary market, right here on Redweek.

Julie V.
Oct 29, 2012

Since people seldom read what was previous said on this forum, it has to be repeated. - Purchasing the new points is a poor ecomomic choice. If you want a timeshare, buy one on the open market at the location you will likely wish to go most of the time - or rent weeks thru owners at redweek.com - If you have three weeks or more or deeded property, purchasing the option to convert weeks to the new points program will for many (if not most) be a good decision.

See previousy comments if you wish more detail.

J E.
Oct 29, 2012

robertd919 wrote:
HELP!!! We are newbies to Mariott time share, although we have owned timeshare in Hilton Head (RCI exchange) for many many years. We got 1 week from my wife's parents at one of the Mariott properties in Aruba and as a new owner, we were invited to a presentation at one of the Mariott properties near where we live. The guy there spent a couple of hours talking about the benefits of the Vacation Club and Trust points and as we just got the Aruba week, we scheduled some additional time with him - hoping he could help us get our week of vacation scheduled - we knew nothing about when you need to deposit or request Mariott Points. He then tells us that we should buy trust points and my wife thinks this is a great deal - we get to buy 2500 points for about $28,000 and this will allow us to use our week for MVC without spending the conversion fee and we no longer have to pay for II or any other fees and we increase our ability to get units at MVC properties and the best is if we convert all to Mariott Rewards we can get a really nice vacation, air included (and we can charge the purchase price on the Mariott charge card and get even more MR points). He shows us how he has been able to help others who purchased 2500 points get a vacation worth close to $30,000 - sounds like a bargain when the points cost $28,000 and you get to use them year after year. It was a good thing we saw him late in the day and they couldn't process the deal that day, so still haven't spent any money and now we are having second thoughts. On the surface, seems like a great deal - get a great vacation the first year worth about what you spent for the trust points and then get the ability to get a nicer vacation each year for just the additinoal cost for maintenance. However, this seems too good to be true and many of the comments in this forum seem to make me think this whole MVC idea is just not so smart. I could really use your input here before we make a bad decision. Sorry for the long winded request for help.

First of all, welcome to site. I am glad you made it here a the right time. Secondly, you need to take your time and get more information before you purchase anything. That same deal or better will be there later.

I want you to know that I am a Marriott owner in Hawaii and love my timeshare. I also belong to Destination Club (DC) as I enrolled my timeshare into the DC program. That being said, I would not advise everyone to join the DC program unless they really know what they want and how they want to use the DC to their advantage. From what you have posted, you don't have a clue about what Marriott has to offer you, so slow down on purchasing and get more information. I am going to suggest you go to www.tug2.net there you will get a plethora of information from other Marriott owners. Then you can make an informed decision. You need to know that there is a difference between Marriott Rewards Points and DC points. Did you know that you can buy more MRP for cheaper than your DC points? Did you know that Interval International still costs you if you go to a non Marriott property? Did you know that you could rent DC points and not have to pay maintenance fees every year. If you would like to save nearly $30,000, go to the Timeshare Users Group link that I posted and learn first before spending a dime. And remember this is coming from a happy Marriott owner who is in the DC program.

Charles S.
Oct 30, 2012

I learned that thirteen weeks out doesn't always work because of multiple week owners, e.g., an owner with 8 weeks calls and once he gets the first week booked, he can then book his remaining 7 weeks consecutively...which puts him almost 15 months out. We have two weeks on Oahu, one on Mau, all with Marriott. When I called thirteen months out at 7:00 AM to book Maui, it was taken. The rep suggested we go to Oahu first, then Maui. Since I was using the lock off option, four weeks on Oahu and booking consecutively put me fourteen months out on Maui - which was then available. Add the fact that many multiple weeks owners have discovered this little secret, that certain units -e.g., oceanfront or penthouse are fewer in number, it gets harder and harder to use your own nit when you want to. And then throw in points inventory and deeded weeks inventory ... Marriott wins again!

Susan W.
Oct 30, 2012

Tis may be a duplicate message, I went to my calculator page while I was writing this and lost my original message, or sent it - not sure which. Anyway, the maintenance fee on points works out to be higher than on deeded weeks. Our three weeks in Hawaii are over $5200 on the deeded side, but would be over $6,000 if we had converted them to points. This is based on the Marriott rep telling us at Shadow Ridge two weeks ago that the maintenance fee is now $ .41 per point. Our Hawaii property is valued at 14, 650 points so that's a bad deal. Secondly, you are better off financially to purchase a rental week through RedWeek's owners. The maintenance fees , e.g., $5200 for three weeks or six weeks with lock off option, is an annual expense. Many owners put their weeks up on RedWeek just to pay fees

Susan W.
Oct 31, 2012

You have misunderstood. Your deeder weeks do not convert into points. EVER. The deeds you signed stay exactly as is, and therefore so do your maintenance fees. If your weeks are enrolled, you gain the USEAGE option to use your deeder weeks as election points. This useage option is not a permenant change/conversion of your ownership. You have the ability to use your weeks just as you always have prior to enrolling. Some owners enrolled and do not like using points, but still enrolled to save on fees. The only time you will ever pay for the maintenance fees on points is if you purchase the deed for points. Maintenance fees are associated with the deed, not the useage option chosen for that year. As for buying after market, you can find cheap deals, but that comes with life long sacrifices that will have to be weighed against the upfront savings. To each their own. But Marriott's destination system has really added a lot of flexibility and various options outside of just resorts that can be used. Unfortunately they do not allow after market weeks to participate in this program (enrollment isn't eligible) nor are the MRP, and the a la carte fees that get condensed through enrollment will also not be an option. This alone could save a huge chunk over time, unless you always go back the same season/resort you purchase. As for rentals at $5200, If I were to do that just 4-5 times I would have spent the same amount of $ as just buying 2500 points anyway. So, while I agree there are good deals out there, I still am one of those ppl that believe you get what you pay for. Marriott did a good job protecting their product by offering more benefits when buying from them versus the not. Not something I like, but I can't blame them for it either. They're out to make money like any other business.

G333 S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.