Point Systems

Marriott Going to Point Syst

Jan 04, 2011

I fully understand your frustation. My simple point was: do not really trust anyone (except your family, of course!).

When it comes to business, I am really careful and do no trust words. Over time, I have learnt that businesses where you do not do multiple/repetitive transactions (such as general retail, electronics, etc) the salesmen are just focused in selling hard at any cost. Real estate, timeshare or even car dealers are classical. You will see the guy only one or two times and ciao! He is trying to do anything to close his month sales number!

Unfortunately, Marriott seems to have taken a different approach recently, although they are not doing anything illegal as you are saying. For me, it is difficult to understand how a company can leave its loyal base in this situation. They should have done it more easy for you to join (free or symbolic USD 100 contribution), as you already paid the full price, and maybe more difficult to the resale buyers like me.

Anyway, we are not going to solve anything here but I am sure that Marriott is monitoring the forums/blogs and taking feedback.

David N.
Jan 04, 2011

Greetings and Happy New Year to All,

I'm pleased to see this forum is once again alive and again very active. It is refreshing to see the many constructive comments, questions, and well thought out responses. I'm happy to also see that many are willing to call for civility to help keep the listing informative and one we all look forward to learning from.

Ok with that said, I just heard from a fellow owner that MVCI has decided to extend the offer for enrollement in Destinations Points thru Jun 2011. She spoke to MVCI last week trying to decide to enroll and they explained that enrollments have not met their goals so they've extended the "deadline" six months. More time for us to learn about how the new system and hear actual feedback on pros and cons of the system. If anyone else can confirm the extension please reply.

Keep up the great commentary and happy vacationing to all. Erman

Erman C.
Jan 04, 2011

Here is the email I got a couple weeks ago.

We’ve extended introductory enrollment pricing!

The new Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program has been so successful, we haven’t had the chance to talk with all our Owners about it. That’s why we’re extending introductory enrollment pricing until June 30, 2011. With this special offer, you can enroll in the new Marriott Vacation Club Destinations program starting at just $595.

Already, Owners like you have enrolled nearly 100,000 weeks! Remember, when you enroll in the new program, you’ll enjoy exciting benefits including:

New vacation choices including our popular tour of Tuscany and a fantastic selection of cruises. The ability to choose your check in day,* length of stay and accommodation size* when you stay at a Marriott Vacation Club® resort. The option to bank or borrow Vacation Club Points from year to year. A simplified annual-fee structure.†

Enroll today -- call 800-307-7314.

Richard I.
Jan 05, 2011

"The new Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program has been so successful, we haven’t had the chance to talk with all our Owners about it. That’s why we’re extending introductory enrollment pricing until June 30, 2011."

Right.... I'm sure the extension is because it's been so successful... Man I hope this comes back to bite Marriott somehow. I've seen way more negative feedback than positive. I'm hoping they modify the program based on the feedback that they are hearing. In my opinion they had one of the most loyal customer bases that I've ever seen. I hope they realize how valuable that was.

B S.

Last edited by bs139 on Jan 05, 2011 09:40 AM

Jan 05, 2011

I think that you have the answer to your question ermanc. The only addition is what I wrote early this week.

When I called to look for going to the beach (vs. Orlando), they were able to convert my 2011 week, although the deadline was supposed to be Oct. 2010 (if I am not wrong). Maybe it is because I had an excellent week (President's week-end). Another think was the fact that I will have until June of 2011 to decide about the use of the remaining points in my account (previously it was April 2011 to be able to transfer them to 2012).

Finally (and sorry to be long...), I was surprised when I quoted to be interested in Marriott Marbella Beach Resort in Spain that I could use points to go there! The representative told me that if I book a full week (only 7 days, no shorter/longer stay) he will ask me for 5'000 points.

It seems that Marriott is getting more pragmatic on the dates for converting/using points (I am sure that going forward they will have to make more minor adjustments/changes).

David N.
Jan 05, 2011

One additionnal thought: if approx. 100'000 weeks were enrolled and we consider than each resort has approx. 25'000 weeks on average (Mountainside is small: 9'282 weeks and Grande Vista is huge: 46'530 weeks), it means approx. 9% of the total weeks have enrolled (considering 46 participating U.S./Hawaii/Caribbean resorts at 25'000 weeks/units). Can someone check my thinking/math?

This is not a lot actually. I am sure that they will have to do something more than just extending the deadline to attract more owners. I tell you that I will not be surprised that they drop their $595 price for original Marriott owners and/or provide the equivalent value in points to be used (more than just the initial 800 points when you join).

David N.
Jan 06, 2011

I called 800-307-7314 and have been playing phone tag with Sylvia Sycar (sic) at 407-903-6131 / 800-332-1333 x6131. I'll update this when I actually have a chance to speak with her. I own 3 resale weeks (Marriott Manor in Williamsburg (Silver), Dessert Springs II and Shadow Ridge in Palm Springs (both Gold)) and while I'm pretty certain I get more value out of weeks exchange by splitting the two LO to make five deposits (in 2010 I secured two April Aruba reservations in 2BR, two Marriott Waiohai 2BR in ealry Dec, and two 2BR Maui Lahaina Tower in August and September - the 6th reservation is from a prior year deposit) I guess for $595 it's worth my time to ask for details. But I'm betting my units are worth only enough points to make two to three reservations compared to the "five" I did in 2010 AND I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the II promo last year where when I made an exchange I got a "free" exchange (pay only the exchange fee) where I got two Royal Islander 2BR units in Cancun just after thanksgiving, one 2BR Marriott Timber Lodge in early November (yes, the lowest of low season), a Marriott grand Chateau in Vegas Feb 2011, and a Cabo unit which I didn't end up using in December.

Beck
Jan 06, 2011

Silvia called, Destination Points are the new term now, I'm an "external" owner since I bought resale. Buying into this program gives me all the direct sale benefits in addition to the points reservation system.

Enrolling would cost me $1,995 for 4,825 Destination Pts/yr or 120,000 Marriott Pts every other year based on my three units. I guess my two Palm Springs units are Silver rather than Gold. This would be bad for me since I can use a 1BR or even Studio to make last minute reservations thru II to get 2BR units. Sylvia said a Marriott Maui 2BR Lahaina Tower in August would be 4,500 Pts - my entire annual allotment when I managed to use a Studio to get mine last August.

Marriott has a points discount for last minute discounts but she wasn't certain how the details worked. She said to call reservations at 800-845-4226. But even if the discount was 50%, I could only get two reservations whereas I've gotten five in 2010 thru II.

She also said I could use my "week" rather than Destination Points to internally secure another "week". I'm not certain I'd pay $2k plus $199/yr to switch to an internal system but if I could be convinced it provided more unit availability then maybe it would be worth it. From what i've read from other owners though, the unit availability is fairly tight right now PLUS there is a stronger focus on "like for like" internal exchange. So this would affect me since I rarely stay in studios, and if "like for like" limited my Silver units to only securing Silver units I would be prevented from a number of reservations I have access to thru II.

Beck
Jan 06, 2011

Fair comment. Silver/Gold weeks do not seem to be highly valued and be able to get good equivalent with the point system. As I suspect earlier, this program makes sense for people have several Platinum weeks at resale (worth paying the upfront fee).

Otherwise, it is an additionnal investment for not a lot of benefits (better stay with II and/or redweek.com rentals). As mentionned, Marriott will have to do something on the upfront fee to have more owners to join. I am sure that this will happen if they do not enroll 20-30% of the total weeks in the near future.

David N.
Jan 08, 2011

peterp151 wrote:
Silvia called, Destination Points are the new term now, I'm an "external" owner since I bought resale. Buying into this program gives me all the direct sale benefits in addition to the points reservation system.

Enrolling would cost me $1,995 for 4,825 Destination Pts/yr or 120,000 Marriott Pts every other year based on my three units. I guess my two Palm Springs units are Silver rather than Gold. This would be bad for me since I can use a 1BR or even Studio to make last minute reservations thru II to get 2BR units. Sylvia said a Marriott Maui 2BR Lahaina Tower in August would be 4,500 Pts - my entire annual allotment when I managed to use a Studio to get mine last August.

Marriott has a points discount for last minute discounts but she wasn't certain how the details worked. She said to call reservations at 800-845-4226. But even if the discount was 50%, I could only get two reservations whereas I've gotten five in 2010 thru II.

She also said I could use my "week" rather than Destination Points to internally secure another "week". I'm not certain I'd pay $2k plus $199/yr to switch to an internal system but if I could be convinced it provided more unit availability then maybe it would be worth it. From what i've read from other owners though, the unit availability is fairly tight right now PLUS there is a stronger focus on "like for like" internal exchange. So this would affect me since I rarely stay in studios, and if "like for like" limited my Silver units to only securing Silver units I would be prevented from a number of reservations I have access to thru II.

Well from the description of your situation it appears there is an ideal course of action for many considering to become new Marriott timeshare owners (deeded and Destination Points (DP)). Instead of buying directly into the Destination Points system directly (I forget how much it is per 1000pts) and paying $0.40/pt MF and $199 membership, they/we should buy deeded platinum weeks on the resale market at places we enjoy then pay Marriott $1995 to join Destinations Points (DP). Entering the timeshare market this way would yield the normal resale deeded property benefits (annual usage, trade via II with or w/o LO, rent out, etc). Joining DP for $1995 would add all the flexibility of the DP plan and for the resale owner include the one missing option of trading for Marriott Rewards points (hotel points) and all the options/rewards that this offers.

Bottom-line example: is you could buy four Grande Vista lockoffs (2bd/2ba) on the resale market for roughly $8000 (4x$2K ea) and then enroll them in DP by 30 Jun 11 for $1995 plus $199. With this one example you would have the best of all worlds including up to 10000 annual DPs and ALL the benefits of four 2bd/2ba LO platinum deeded units previously only obtainable via buying directly from Marriott before 20 Jun 10). Note: this same portfolio would cost you roughly $60000 to purchase either under the old deeded system or now under the new DP system. Anyone have the current price for 1000 DPs?

You can scale this back to two platinum units and reduce your total cost to roughly $6000. This could be even lower if your resale purchases are lower than $2000/unit. I've seen platinum GV sell for less than $1000 as resales including all closing costs.

If I missed anything, please add an input. Depending on if you are a half full or half empty person, the new DP plan recently introduced could be the best of both worlds and a great deal if you enter via the resale deeded market and not direct sales.

BTW: As a comparison, Diamond Resorts Intl (DRI), another mega timeshare points company, (bought Sunterra and many other companies) charges over $8000 to enroll one deeded unit into their Points Club and your deed is converted into a points membership. You lose your deed and all the alternatives offered to deeded ownership.

Cheers!

Erman

Erman C.

Last edited by ermanc on Jan 08, 2011 09:50 AM

Jan 08, 2011

I am not sure where the misinformation is here, but there are two points that must be cleared. First, unless something has changed and I am not aware of it, Marriott is only accepting resales for Destination points bought by June 20, 2010. If one were to buy a resale now they could only use it in weeks but not for Destination points.

Secondly, Diamond Resorts although expensive does not charge $8000 to bring one unit into the Club. I have heard that they usually charge around $3000 join the club and buy some points.

Charles S.
Jan 08, 2011

Oops, my bad. Charless345 is correct about the 20 Jun 2010 deadline being th deadline for resales to be eligible for enrollment in DPs. I remembered that the minute I stepped out the door this morning for a long day moving friends into a new home. I confused the 30 Jun 2011 extension to join Destination Points as applying to any resales as well. Sorry folks for the mental lapse, this happens when I blog before I have my morning coffee. As for the Diamond Resorts conversion costs, my notes from a call in December is each unit converted requires a purchase of 2000 additional DRI points. If that is only worth $3000 then Charless345 is also correct. It all seemed too good to be true when I woke up and it apparently was still just part of my pleasant dream.

Thanks Charles345 for setting me straight.

ErmanC

Erman C.
Jan 08, 2011

I for one will not every join the program! No Matter if the cost is free!!!!! I enjoy staying at Newport Coast and Shadow Hills resorts in southern Ca. Most of us, bought where we would and could use the property annually! Don't let Marriott use you for more Money! Stand up and be counted!

Jon F.
Jan 09, 2011

Generally speaking the DRI $3,000 conversion option is no longer available. I say generally because there are a few exceptions and while I don't know the last time it was available, the $3k program has been removed and reintroduced a few times. A resale owner must buy 2,000-3,500 points directly from DRI, 3,500 in the HI collection and maybe as low as 2,000 in the US collection, priced about $2-$4 per point. The more you own with DRI, the lower the price per point they charge.

Beck
Jan 09, 2011

Yes, DRI does want you to buy more points. However, everything is negotiable with them. That is why there are always exceptions that you hear or read about. I do believe that they usually want resale people to pay into the Club and buy a portion of points.

Charles S.
Jan 09, 2011

So has anyone heard if Marriott will eventually follow the DRI model and allow enrollment of post 20 Jun 2010 resales if they are accompanied by the purchase of Destinations Points? I suspect that will be their next step once they increase enrollments thru the extended introduction period.

Erman C.

Last edited by ermanc on Jan 09, 2011 11:31 AM

Jan 10, 2011

Ermanc: as I already mentionned, they will have to do something at a certain point in time to attract more deeds into the program. I do not know what, but I suspect this will come after the June 2011 deadline.

I think that they are currently trying to enroll EVERYONE that bought before the program started at an acceptable enrollment fee to have certain critical mass. After that (and depending on the success), they will maybe maintain a low entry fee for the one that bought through Marriott, but surely increase it sharply for the resale ones...

Frankly, I will still buy resale at this point. Marriott price ($10 per point and 40 cents per point maintenance fee) is simply too high. This means that to buy one week decent vacation resort you need min. $35-40'000 upfront (3'500-4'000 DC points) and then $1'500-1'600 per year (maintenance fees 40 cents per point).

For that price, you better stay at an hotel, rent on redweek or buy a resale deeded week for $7'000-8'000 (maint. fees $1'200-1'300 max) for exchange/rent on II/redweek (when you do not use it.

Incredible salesmen these Marriott guys: $10 dollar per point!

David N.
Jan 11, 2011

davidn247

Thanks for the clear description and estimates of cost alternatives for those of us still wanting to stay involved in Marriott at a reasonable cost level. I've come to the same conclusions and will likely buy an additional resale or two at cut rate prices in locations I plan to spend my vacation time.

Cheers!

Erman C.
Jan 11, 2011

I want to thank everyone for sharing information. Reading all the comments helped me make an informed decision. After reveiwing all the comments and talking with Marriott sales staff I decided not to presently enroll in the program.

Tony D.
Jan 11, 2011

tonyd124: happy to help you navigate through the "system" and having provide clarity or answers to your questions. Now, the DC point program has been working for me until now for the several reasons that I mentionned in previous posts.

Again, everyone has a different situation and, while this forum provides good inputs/exchanges of information, you have to make your own decision at the end of the day. This all thing sounds like a disclamer, but I though it was important to mention.

David N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.