Timeshare Companies

Property Donation Group

Jul 03, 2010

What can anyone tell me about this operation. My research finds they are very reasonable with rates to close on each unit. Less than most donation groups charge. thanks

Jon C.
Jul 03, 2010

jonc92 wrote:
What can anyone tell me about this operation. My research finds they are very reasonable with rates to close on each unit. Less than most donation groups charge. thanks
I don't know them and I never heard of them, but before you proceed with ANY "donation" entity, please make certain that you very clearly understand the difference between a recorded deed transfer and a mere "Power of Attorney". The important distinction between the two has been defined and clarified in numerous RedWeek posts --- again and again and again. The RedWeek "search" function is your friend...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 03, 2010 06:32 AM

Sep 29, 2010

We just completed two timeshare donations using Ron's service with PDG. Everything when very well.

Jon C.
Sep 29, 2010

jonc92 wrote:
We just completed two timeshare donations using Ron's service with PDG. Everything when very well.

Well, I'm glad everything went well for you but how much did they charge for the "donation"?

Lance C.
Sep 30, 2010

Each timeshare location is a different fee. To rid of two of our units that were not what we needed, $549 each is a welcome fee. Especially after being ripped off by GMAC Timeshare and Timeshare By Owner. I will deal with them again.

Jon C.
Sep 30, 2010

jonc92 wrote:

You'd better make sure the timeshares are out of your name or you'll still be billed for yearly maintenance fees as you "may" still be the owner.

R P.
Sep 30, 2010

Things must have really changed over the years! I still remember when a donation was giving something away for free so the donation would be a write-off and help the families in need.

We still give to many of the same places like ST.Jude Childrens Hospital and Jerry's Kids and have for more than thirty years and have NEVER had to pay extra fee's for them to handle the donation.

PHIL

Phil L.
Sep 30, 2010

jonc92

Congratulations on being able to donate your two timeshares to a charity for only $1,098. Can you provide a little more information concerning the conveyance? I think the information would be very helpful to those considering making a "donation" of their timeshares to PDG. Specifically, would you provide the following information:

1. Was the $1,098 for closing costs and if so, were you provided a breakdown of the fees charged by the closing company? The fees should include deed preparation, estoppel fee (verification by closing company that all maintenance fees are current and that there are no outstanding mortgages or liens), fee for recording deeds, resort fee for changing name on the resort records, and a filing fee for recording the new deeds in the county deed records. My experience suggests the $1,098 was excessive for the closing but if you were desperate possibly it was worth it to you.

2. Prior to the closing did you and your spouse sign a deed conveying the title to the timeshares to a specific named charity or was the transfer to "Property Donation Group"? This information can be obtained by simily looking at your copy of the deeds or by calling the county clerk and requesting certified copies of the deeds.

3. Did you request in writing a written verification from the resort that the ownership records were changed and that you are not liable for any present or future maintenance fees.

4. If the titles were conveyed to "Property Donation Group" did you verify that the company is not a sham but is actually authorized to do business in the state where it is located? Is it a LLP,LLC, C corporation or S corporation? If it is a proprietorship or partnership did you obtain the names of the principals and do a D and B on the business or at the very least a cursory google search using the names of the principals?

5. If the conveyance was to a specific charity did you verify that the charity is an exempt (section 501C) charity by filing a Form 4506-A with the IRS? This information is available to the public and you can secure verification that the charity has an exempt letter from the IRS.

6. If the answers to the above question are no and you merely gave PDG $1,098 and a power of attorney to act for you then I would suggest you have more expenses ahead of you. The bottom line is, if you were unable to sell or give the timeshares away it is doubtful that a reputable charity would accept the timeshares because after all they received their exemption from the IRS to raise money for charity and not to manage an inventory of worthless timeshares.

Best wishes and good luck!

Carvan A.

Last edited by carvana on Sep 30, 2010 05:29 PM

Oct 01, 2010

Many donation groups charge money to take in donations This may work but it doesn't hurt to check into other options. I know of a 501c charity DefeatDiateses.org that will take in timeshare donations and they do not charge a fee.

Hope this helps

Lisa P.

Last edited by petere20 on Oct 01, 2010 12:31 PM

Oct 06, 2010

As a representative of Property Donation Group I will answer the questions per client request.

1. Was the $1,098 for closing costs and if so, were you provided a breakdown of the fees charged by the closing company? The fees should include deed preparation, estoppel fee (verification by closing company that all maintenance fees are current and that there are no outstanding mortgages or liens), fee for recording deeds, resort fee for changing name on the resort records, and a filing fee for recording the new deeds in the county deed records. My experience suggests the $1,098 was excessive for the closing but if you were desperate possibly it was worth it to you.

A) A breakdown was provided. The fees included all of the above. This process is about more than just paying fees to get out of the timeshare also. The hardest part of the process is having someone to actually transfer the nearly worthless timeshares over to. No charities wanted these timeshares but we still handled the matter.

2. Prior to the closing did you and your spouse sign a deed conveying the title to the timeshares to a specific named charity or was the transfer to "Property Donation Group"? This information can be obtained by simily looking at your copy of the deeds or by calling the county clerk and requesting certified copies of the deeds.

A) The title was not transferred to Property Donation Group and we never said it would be. These properties were handled through our Timeshare Relinquishment Program where a charity doesn't accept the timeshare but receives a cash donation from the proceeds.

3. Did you request in writing a written verification from the resort that the ownership records were changed and that you are not liable for any present or future maintenance fees.

A) No request was needed because we have our title company send the client a letter of completion upon the recording of the deed. None of our clients have ever came back and complained that they got a maintenance fee after dealing with our company.

4. If the titles were conveyed to "Property Donation Group" did you verify that the company is not a sham but is actually authorized to do business in the state where it is located? Is it a LLP,LLC, C corporation or S corporation? If it is a proprietorship or partnership did you obtain the names of the principals and do a D and B on the business or at the very least a cursory google search using the names of the principals?

A) Once again the titles were not conveyed to Property Donation Group.

5. If the conveyance was to a specific charity did you verify that the charity is an exempt (section 501C) charity by filing a Form 4506-A with the IRS? This information is available to the public and you can secure verification that the charity has an exempt letter from the IRS.

A) They conveyance was not to a charity because no charities wanted these timeshares.

6. If the answers to the above question are no and you merely gave PDG $1,098 and a power of attorney to act for you then I would suggest you have more expenses ahead of you. The bottom line is, if you were unable to sell or give the timeshares away it is doubtful that a reputable charity would accept the timeshares because after all they received their exemption from the IRS to raise money for charity and not to manage an inventory of worthless timeshares.

A) And again, no charities wanted these timeshares but we were still able to transfer them out of the clients name and he is happy with our service.

Ron S.
Oct 07, 2010

rons357 wrote:
A) They conveyance was not to a charity because no charities wanted these timeshares.

A) And again, no charities wanted these timeshares but we were still able to transfer them out of the clients name and he is happy with our service.

If no charity wanted the timeshares then how were you able to transfer the deed out of the owner's name ..... who owns them now and who (or what entity) pays the yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments or do you just let them go into foreclosure and the other owners of the resort take up the slack with paying higher maintenance fees .... please explain.

R P.
Oct 09, 2010

all I know they are out of my name now....

Jon C.
Oct 15, 2010

rons357 wrote:
Quoted in pertinent part:

As a representative of Property Donation Group I will answer the questions per client request....

... no charities wanted these timeshares but we were still able to transfer them out of the clients name and he is happy with our service.

I HOPE that the above fuzzy reply is not just a vague, non-responsive way of indicating that ownership "transfer" is actually into a shell company or a bogus corporation of some kind (...one which will never acknowledge any future correspondence or ever pay any maintenance fees, thereby directly hurting other owners financially).

Jonc92 is apparently content that the timeshare(s) are (reportedly) "out of his name". IF true, whether or not that process has occurred through a legally valid and morally acceptable means is a question which the uninformative "non-response" from Property Donation Group has NOT actually answered or addressed AT ALL....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 16, 2010 06:13 AM

Dec 18, 2010

Once again this is a good way to donate and be able to stop having to pay those fees each year. I have been a member of this web site for a couple of years and have kept up with this information since. For me this was the way to go and I appreciate the folks that helped me out. In this economy it helps to find a way to pass on our units with out a large hassle. thanks Ron

Jon C.
Dec 20, 2010

jonc92 wrote:
Once again this is a good way to donate and be able to stop having to pay those fees each year. I have been a member of this web site for a couple of years and have kept up with this information since. For me this was the way to go and I appreciate the folks that helped me out. In this economy it helps to find a way to pass on our units with out a large hassle. thanks Ron
I still hope that "passing on your units without a large hassle" actually involved something other than PDG just "dumping" them into a bogus shell corporation (which will ignore all future fees). This is a very real possibility and one which PDG has chosen NOT to explain or address at all in their lengthy input above. If so, then all other owners at your former facilities are now left holding the bag for YOUR abandoned financial and contractual obligations. That may or may not bother you --- it's between you and your conscience...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 20, 2010 08:17 AM

Dec 27, 2010

jonc92 wrote:

But you didn't donate anything. If what you're saying is true, you paid a company to transfer your timeshare out of your name. But neither you or that company are willing to specify what timeshare you got rid of, and even though you keep claiming to have donated it and the company continues to insist it was sold to someone because no charitable organization wanted the proceeds, you appear to be ignorant of the name on the deed to whom you sold to.

Lacking that type of info, the two of you sound more like people working to drum up business for Property Donation Group. Timeshare Vacation Now does the same thing for $400. So if you really paid to give your timeshare away, name your timeshare, provide your last name and date your deed was recorded. We'd all like to look up the recording to verify you are speaking truth, but next time check with Timeshare Vacation Now since they charge less!

Beck
May 26, 2011

I was skeptical about whether or not this process was legitimate especially for the great price I was quoted. The people Property Donation Group were very patient and answered all of my questions and concerns; they even allowed me to submit my own POA for the transfer documents. The transfer took about 4 weeks to complete. I checked with clerk of courts in the county where my time share was located and was relieved to find the property was transferred out of my name. I recommend Property Transfer Group to anyone wanting to donate their timeshare.

Randy W.
Jun 17, 2011

They did help me get rid of my timeshare. It did take some time, but everything did work out the way they promised.

Dennis R.
Jul 26, 2011

We bought a timeshare w/58,000 points per year, we've since had some sickness in our family. We would like to donate our timeshare for the benefit of a charity and to be honest for our benefit too. We're thinking of donating it to PDG. Since we decided we don't want the timeshare anymore, I've looked into many avenues and have come to realize unfortunately there are a lot of very sleezy people in this business. There is enough stress with the sickness in our family right now and I'm just looking for some honesty in a company to take our timeshare. I've heard all the angles from these companies that say "Pay us $700 upfront and we can get you a buyer today!!!!!" These people should be ashamed of themselves. It's just sad that they make a living out of other peoples vulnerability.....anyway, I've gotten off the track. I'm asking for an opinion from anyone with PDG experience>>>>>PLEASE

Marie B.
Jul 27, 2011

marieb169 wrote:
I'm asking for an opinion from anyone with PDG experience>>>>>PLEASE

I have not personally had any experience with PDG but, from all reports, PDG will charge you a hefty fee to take your timeshare.

A cheaper option would be to list your timeshare on a site like Redweek for $1. Even if you offer to pay closing costs, that will still likely work out cheaper than paying to donate to a charity.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.