Ask RedWeek

Reputable companies to assist in selling timeshare

Jun 15, 2011

In your June 2011 question regarding companies contacting you for help in selling your timeshare, you mention there are several places that are reputable and trustworthy. Would you be able to give us a few names of those reputable organizations so that we might be able to avoid the pitfalls of the unscrupulous? thanks in advance for any help.

Paul D.
Jun 15, 2011

pauld370 wrote:
In your June 2011 question regarding companies contacting you for help in selling your timeshare, you mention there are several places that are reputable and trustworthy. Would you be able to give us a few names of those reputable organizations so that we might be able to avoid the pitfalls of the unscrupulous? thanks in advance for any help.

The first pitfall to avoid is never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, or market your timeshare.

You can find a reputable licensed real estate broker at ltrba.com. They won't charge you a dime until your property is sold. Keep in mind, however, that they will charge a minimum $1000 commission and, chances are, your timeshare may not be worth anywhere near that much.

Another way to go is to do-it-yourself. Advertise (for a low cost of course) here on RedWeek or My Resort Network. Price it competitively. Keep watching your e-mail and be ready to respond to any genuine inquiry. So make sure you know everything about your unit and the resort. If you're unsure about any important details, you'll have a hard time convincing somebody that he should buy it.

Once you do get an agreement in place to sell it and you have settled on the terms (price, who pays closing costs, etc.), hire a good closing company like JRA Services, Timeshare Transfer, etc. That should cost about $300.

Remember to be patient because many timeshares can take months or years to sell.

Lance C.
Aug 11, 2011

to sell thru a real estate broker who suppose to specialize in timeshare do you have to pay for a market analysis ( something that tells you what your timeshare is worth on the market) cause i was contacted by one and they said I had to get one done before they were able to sell it for me it would cost 300 to 400?

Phyllis J.
Aug 12, 2011

phyllisj41 wrote:
to sell thru a real estate broker who suppose to specialize in timeshare do you have to pay for a market analysis ( something that tells you what your timeshare is worth on the market) cause i was contacted by one and they said I had to get one done before they were able to sell it for me it would cost 300 to 400?

Any timeshare is worth ONLY what a buyer is willing to pay .... there is no set market analysis of a timeshare's worth .... don't bite.

R P.
Aug 12, 2011

phyllisj41 wrote:

Also, not only will the scammers ask for $300-$400 for a non-existant market analysis, they would then ask for a large upfront fee to supposedly market it .... another scam.

R P.
Oct 28, 2016

Has anyone dealt with Resort Closing Network?

Harryet E.
Oct 28, 2016

harryet1 wrote:
Has anyone dealt with Resort Closing Network?

Probably but not me personally. Please give more details as to why you're asking about this company. What are you hoping to get done through them?

Lance C.
Oct 29, 2016

The Licensed Timeshare Resale Broker Association member LTRBA I went through did not require any money for anything before we signed the agreement. We wanted to sell Maui Hill. The resort would have charged us $2500 commission and we paid closing costs. Tom Tubbs of Island Consulting Realty charged $1500 and the seller pays closing costs. We ended up taking our listing down due to our daughter's protests and have happily transferred the week to her. There are 64 members throughout the US including Hawaii.

Irene P.
Oct 29, 2016

We have successfully transferred kaanapali Beach Club with RCN. Now we want to "contract cancel" the Manhattan Club with them.

Harryet E.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.