Ask RedWeek

New Ripoff Vacation Ownership Group

Sep 20, 2011

A new group is contacting timeshare owners claiming to be a mediator for the Big timeshare companies to settle complaints about unfair practices in selling to owners. They know who you have a timeshare with and how many points or weeks. They offer to resolve or intercede on your behalf with the timeshare company to reduce or eliminate your debt from fraudulent selling practices. They opened in April 2010 in NJ and according to the link have multiple unresolved complaints and have refused to resolve them through the BBB. http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/timeshare-companies/vo-group-in-egg-harbor-township-nj-90072424. Owners beware!

Michael G.
Sep 21, 2011

Thanks for the above post. Upfront fee "resale" scammers have recently been "evolving" into upfront fee "recovery" scammers. Sometimes, these maggots are SAME people collecting upfront fees from BOTH angles. In either case, the common operative word applying to ALL of these upfront fee parasites is SCAMMER.

The way to protect yourself from scammers of ANY flavor is really quite simple:

Do NOT pay ANYONE ANY upfront fee money for ANYTHING associated with timeshare. The ONLY money you should EVER pay "upfront" is to advertise a timeshare resale or rental YOURSELF. Such fees should not exceed about $60, for AT LEAST 6 months of advertising (whether on RedWeek or on MyResortNetwork). You can even advertise for FREE on Bidshares, Craigslist, or Timeshare Users Group (but you must be a paid member at $15 per year, and well worth it) in order to be able to place free ads on TUG.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 22, 2011 07:35 AM

Oct 30, 2011

We agree that "Recovery" groups are the newest scam. We however are not a recovery group, rental company, re-sale company, or cancellation company. We are able to resolve timeshare consumers complaints and utilize proprietary information to again make them satisfied. Any potential clients of the V O Group are allowed to speak with as many existing clients as they need to who have done business with us. At the Vacation Ownership Group, our clients speak for themselves.

Customer C.
Oct 30, 2011

We agree that "Recovery" groups are the newest scam. We however are not a recovery group, rental company, re-sale company, or cancellation company. We are able to resolve timeshare consumers complaints and utilize proprietary information to again make them satisfied. Any potential clients of the V O Group are allowed to speak with as many existing clients as they need to who have done business with us. At the Vacation Ownership Group, our clients speak for themselves...

Also, when it comes to the BBB we have chosen not to do business with them as we are to large and have to deal with matters through the AAA as contracts state. Also please view http://vogroup.net/blog/?p=251 to find out why we decided not to do business with the BBB.

When searching the internet for our company, specifically the name “VO Group”, you may come across the website for the Better Business Bureau (otherwise known as the “BBB”) which attempts to describe and grade the services we at the Vacation Ownership Group offer. Unfortunately, and through no fault of our own, the BBB gives us very low grade. PLEASE DO NOT BE ALARMED; there is a specific explanation for the grade they have provided. Please allow us to explain the unfortunate series of events that lead to the BBB to tarnish our goodwill and good name. When the Vacation Ownership Group started operating, we thought it would be a wise a decision to pay the BBB in order obtain an “accreditation” with the BBB. That’s right! The only way to become an accredited member of the BBB is to pay them! In addition, we believed that the BBB would provide a forum for our business along with any of our customer’s to resolve any complaints and/or disputes. During our first few months as an “accredited” business with the BBB, we were pleased because we were able to resolve 6 out of 6 complaints clients had with our services which resulted in the BBB providing a very high grade for our business. After being in operation for nearly a half of a year, along with the fact that our business was rapidly expanding, we decided to provide for a more binding method of resolving not only customer complaints, but complaints we may have run into with customers who failed to pay for our services. Through the advice of counsel, we decided to implement a procedure in all of our contracts whereby any and all disputes would be resolved through binding arbitration with the American Arbitration Association, instead of through the nonbinding BBB procedure. As a result, we contacted the BBB to let them know that we would be terminating our business accreditation with them because we no longer wished to pay them the substantial fee to be so-called “accredited”, along with the fact that we chose to resolve any disputes through binding arbitration. Once this occurred, our grade dropped drastically!! Subsequently, we became aware of many other business’ throughout the country that were also dismayed and dissatisfied with the BBB, including such reputable companies like Google. Please take the time to view the above 20/20 episode which should shine some light as to why we, along with many other business’ in the USA, refuse to do business with the BBB which has resulted in unfair and unsubstantiated grades issued by the so-called “Better Business” Bureau. You will be infuriated with the fact that the BBB issued an “A” grade to Hamas because they paid them to be “accredited.”

Customer C.
Oct 31, 2011

customerc wrote:
We agree that "Recovery" groups are the newest scam. We however are not a recovery group, rental company, re-sale company, or cancellation company. We are able to resolve timeshare consumers complaints and utilize proprietary information to again make them satisfied. Any potential clients of the V O Group are allowed to speak with as many existing clients as they need to who have done business with us. At the Vacation Ownership Group, our clients speak for themselves...

Also, when it comes to the BBB we have chosen not to do business with them as we are to large and have to deal with matters through the AAA as contracts state. Also please view http://vogroup.net/blog/?p=251 to find out why we decided not to do business with the BBB.

When searching the internet for our company, specifically the name “VO Group”, you may come across the website for the Better Business Bureau (otherwise known as the “BBB”) which attempts to describe and grade the services we at the Vacation Ownership Group offer. Unfortunately, and through no fault of our own, the BBB gives us very low grade. PLEASE DO NOT BE ALARMED; there is a specific explanation for the grade they have provided. Please allow us to explain the unfortunate series of events that lead to the BBB to tarnish our goodwill and good name.

When the Vacation Ownership Group started operating, we thought it would be a wise a decision to pay the BBB in order obtain an “accreditation” with the BBB. That’s right! The only way to become an accredited member of the BBB is to pay them! In addition, we believed that the BBB would provide a forum for our business along with any of our customer’s to resolve any complaints and/or disputes. During our first few months as an “accredited” business with the BBB, we were pleased because we were able to resolve 6 out of 6 complaints clients had with our services which resulted in the BBB providing a very high grade for our business. After being in operation for nearly a half of a year, along with the fact that our business was rapidly expanding, we decided to provide for a more binding method of resolving not only customer complaints, but complaints we may have run into with customers who failed to pay for our services. Through the advice of counsel, we decided to implement a procedure in all of our contracts whereby any and all disputes would be resolved through binding arbitration with the American Arbitration Association, instead of through the nonbinding BBB procedure. As a result, we contacted the BBB to let them know that we would be terminating our business accreditation with them because we no longer wished to pay them the substantial fee to be so-called “accredited”, along with the fact that we chose to resolve any disputes through binding arbitration. Once this occurred, our grade dropped drastically!! Subsequently, we became aware of many other business’ throughout the country that were also dismayed and dissatisfied with the BBB, including such reputable companies like Google. Please take the time to view the above 20/20 episode which should shine some light as to why we, along with many other business’ in the USA, refuse to do business with the BBB which has resulted in unfair and unsubstantiated grades issued by the so-called “Better Business” Bureau. You will be infuriated with the fact that the BBB issued an “A” grade to Hamas because they paid them to be “accredited.”

This is a blatant advertisement .... ads aren't permitted in the forums.

BTW, the BBB gets their ratings from customers of businesses. They are not in the business of going after companies for no reason. And, if you're a (large) upfront fee company then posters at Redweek don't condone your business model.

R P.
Nov 05, 2011

This is a blatant advertisement .... ads aren't permitted in the forums. __________________________________________________________

Since when is stating a fact advertisement. We have a difficult time trying to understand who is good for the timeshare industry and who isn't. One thing we know, giving an opinion doesn't help consumers fix their issues. Your statments in this forum arent helping anyone with their issues. Consumers and also this site are conditioned to talk bad about everything because they know nothing else. We would like to challange RED Week. com to speak with our exisiting clients who have done buisness with us. We have thousands - and then decide for yourselves (jayjay).

V O.
Nov 06, 2011

I agree with JayJay. If it looks like a scam and sounds like a scam....... it's a SCAM !!!!!!!! This sounds like just another way to get someones money. The more they talk the less they are legit.

Don P.
Feb 17, 2012

jayjay wrote:
customerc wrote:

When searching the internet for our company, specifically the name “VO Group”, you may come across the website for the Better Business Bureau (otherwise known as the “BBB”) which attempts to describe and grade the services we at the Vacation Ownership Group offer. Unfortunately, and through no fault of our own, the BBB gives us very low grade. PLEASE DO NOT BE ALARMED; there is a specific explanation for the grade they have provided. Please allow us to explain the unfortunate series of events that lead to the BBB to tarnish our goodwill and good name.

When the Vacation Ownership Group started operating, we thought it would be a wise a decision to pay the BBB in order obtain an “accreditation” with the BBB. That’s right! The only way to become an accredited member of the BBB is to pay them! In addition, we believed that the BBB would provide a forum for our business along with any of our customer’s to resolve any complaints and/or disputes. During our first few months as an “accredited” business with the BBB, we were pleased because we were able to resolve 6 out of 6 complaints clients had with our services which resulted in the BBB providing a very high grade for our business. After being in operation for nearly a half of a year, along with the fact that our business was rapidly expanding, we decided to provide for a more binding method of resolving not only customer complaints, but complaints we may have run into with customers who failed to pay for our services. Through the advice of counsel, we decided to implement a procedure in all of our contracts whereby any and all disputes would be resolved through binding arbitration with the American Arbitration Association, instead of through the nonbinding BBB procedure. As a result, we contacted the BBB to let them know that we would be terminating our business accreditation with them because we no longer wished to pay them the substantial fee to be so-called “accredited”, along with the fact that we chose to resolve any disputes through binding arbitration. Once this occurred, our grade dropped drastically!! Subsequently, we became aware of many other business’ throughout the country that were also dismayed and dissatisfied with the BBB, including such reputable companies like Google. Please take the time to view the above 20/20 episode which should shine some light as to why we, along with many other business’ in the USA, refuse to do business with the BBB which has resulted in unfair and unsubstantiated grades issued by the so-called “Better Business” Bureau. You will be infuriated with the fact that the BBB issued an “A” grade to Hamas because they paid them to be “accredited.”

This is a blatant advertisement .... ads aren't permitted in the forums.

BTW, the BBB gets their ratings from customers of businesses. They are not in the business of going after companies for no reason. And, if you're a (large) upfront fee company then posters at Redweek don't condone your business model.

Matthew B.
Feb 21, 2012

Hi everyone! just joined redweek because I dont want to get scammed. This is the perfect example of the kind of info I was hoping to find! Thanks to everyone who does a great job keeping us informed...

Jergen H.
Mar 08, 2012

This post is absolutely incorrect, my husband and I were high pressured and out right lied to on our last vacation, we were told that there was a problem with our timeshare points and in order to fix the problem we had to consolidate our deeds and upgrade our points @ the time we were almost paid off, we kept saying no that we had enough points and that we couldn't afford more, he told us we were stupid for not taking "such a great deal" that we had to do it that day it would never be offered again, he also told us that he was our personal advisor and he would be taking care of us from that point forward, 5 hours later he convinced us it was the best thing to do, he covered up certain parts of the paper work when we were signing the documents. We were told that it would not cost us any more money we came home to realize a few months later that we had been so badly lied to and put into debt of over $50,000, we were getting to a point that we couldn't even afford to feed our child because of the high maintanence fees and mortgage payments, not to mention the high interest rate. The sad thing is we didn't realize at the time we were lied to until we tried calling the guy back, the guy who said he was our "personal advisor" we could never get a hold of him and he never returned our calls, we made numerous attempts to reach the property to get help, we kept getting the run around and finally we were told "you signed the paper work, sorry, theres nothing we can do" by then we felt like it was too late and that we were stuck, paying for something that we bought through lies. Then we received a call from the Vacation ownership group, of course we were skeptical at first because we felt so vicitimzed, So we just couldn't believe at first that this company could help and what? Charge us no money for their service, we thought what do have to loose, They were the only people that could resolve our situation and bring our debt way down to something we could actually afford, we got to keep the points we had in the first place and they did not charge us one stinkin dime, they saved us so much money, they also helped to give us our dignity back. Now we can actually afford to travel again, we learned alot through this, we will never go to a "timeshare presentation" or a so called "owner update meeting" again, and they can keep their damn $100 gift card, cuz that nearly cost us $50,000. BTW I was actually hired by the BBB for a commissioned sales position, I declined the job offer when I realized the business ratings were based on the business paying for there BBB membership, don't take my word for it check out this interview on 20/20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8kfV9kONw

Babbette T.
Mar 09, 2012

michaelg756 A new group is contacting timeshare owners claiming to be a mediator for the Big timeshare companies to settle complaints about unfair practices in selling to owners. They know who you have a timeshare with and how many points or weeks. They offer to resolve or intercede on your behalf with the timeshare company to reduce or eliminate your debt from fraudulent selling practices. They opened in April 2010 in NJ and according to the link have multiple unresolved complaints and have refused to resolve them through the BBB. http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/timeshare-com

Richard G.
Mar 10, 2012

We have been contacted by this group persistantly. Needless to say we have been leary. Your story sounds a lot like our experiences with our timeshare company.

Can you please advise if when your deal with VOGroup was complete, if you had all the same benefits you did before? Also, that may depend on your ownership - we own over 1 million points, so have a lot of perks with our company. We have been told we would not have these if purchased through any company but the timeshare company.

Also, how do we know some of these "good" reviews are not provided by an employee of the VO Group?

Tracy K.

Last edited by tracyk65 on Mar 10, 2012 11:29 AM

Mar 29, 2012

I was also contacted by the VO Group. With similar experiences as the above few owners. It is very difficult to not want to believe they are in a position to help, yet with the prior experiences.... I do not know what to believe. I was given names & contact numbers of clients that supposedly were assisted, in their favor... How do I know they are legit? My next step is to attempt to make contact with them. To babbettet, weren't you asked to give them money when you went under contract?

Marta B.
Mar 29, 2012

I have experienced similar practices by the sales reps. It would be nice to believe there is a group that does what they say, however, I have little trust at this point. I am being asked to pay a fee once we go into contract, as well as getting my own financing for 1/2 of what we currently owe; in order to retain our current ownership and points. If they aren't legit; then I will owe the timeshare and wherever I borrowed the money from. See my dilemma?

Marta B.
Mar 29, 2012

martab14 wrote:
See my dilemma?

Actually, I am having a hard time seeing your dilemma because I am unclear what you are looking to do. Are you looking to buy a timeshare? Rent one? Sell yours? Rent yours out?

Lance C.
Mar 30, 2012

We own a timeshare as well. I have been contacted by VOC to settle with the timeshare company. They are asking for a little over three hundred dollars for administrative costs. To finance we need to use our 401K, retirement income or find our own financing. Also, there are persons who have used their services who will highly recommend them. The last time someone sent my names of someone using their services, it was a SCAM! On that deal, I did get my money refunded. Why is it that the VOC does not have a financial company they can recommend if they want to help?

Maurice T.

Last edited by mauricet12 on Mar 30, 2012 12:43 PM

Mar 31, 2012

It is my understanding that the VO Group is requiring a fee of approx $350.00 to begin. Once under contract we have 15 days to aquire the amount agreed on to satisfy Wyndham's predatory sales tactics. My concern is not that they suggest where to get the funds from, but that we don't end up still owing Wyndham and now gave a substantial sum to the VOG... & owe wherever we got the funding from... My husband thinks it"s a scam. I am unable to have peace of mind about this... How were we targeted by this group? Where did they get our info from initially ? They are the only ones insuring their company is on the up & up... When in doubt; do nothing... was what I was always told.

Marta B.
Apr 01, 2012

If BBB is so good then why does Disney Land have a bad grade? Wolfgang Puck also has an F. The terrorist group HAMAS has an A and so does a white supremacist group. BBB seems like nothing more than an extortion. They give your business a bad grade unless they pay a membership fee.

Damian M.
Apr 05, 2012

OK we have not had any complaints about our timeshare but today I was contacted by these scammers saying that they wanted to talk to me about my complaint. I continued to ask the person, what was the nature of my complaint and he could not answer (Because there was no complaint). They are clearly working off of some list, calling people up and praying on them.

Lori A.
Apr 09, 2012

I also was contacted by them. I asked how they found my cell number since I do not issue that number to anyone. The fellow's name that contacted me is Jeffery Flagger. He told me the same story as everyone else. He also told me that Wyndham sells their sales lists and that is how they got our name. I believe it is a scam because they have called me on six different phone numbers. Has anyone benefited from their services? I would like to know.

Edwina B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.