Closed
General Discussion

point rental liquidators

Feb 07, 2012

I have signed a contract to purchase a new timeshare on the point system called sunset harbor resort in willis, texas. Point rental liquidators rep says they will convert my current week owned in SC plus this new purcase in TX to points and that money will pay for the new resort, all maintenance fees and I receive a check for the remaining monies left over. IS THIS A SCAM. I have until tomorrow evening to cancel this agreement. Please help me save myself if this is a scam!

Karen W.
Feb 07, 2012

If it sounds too good to be true then it's a scam. How can they convert a SC timeshare into a points system in TX?

I've never heard of this company but Redweek forum members advise that any company that cold calls you out of the blue and that charges a large upfront fee is more than likely a scam ..... read more here on Redweek and Tug forums concerning this company:

http://www.scambook.com/search?search=point+rental+liquidators

http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=15991

Also, you need to Google the name of this company with the word scam.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 07, 2012 08:05 AM

Feb 25, 2012

I have been with them for years and I have always gotten paid. They pay out in quarterly cycles... Last 3 years I have put my points into the rental in December and I get paid by July 15th. I was with them before they incorporated in July 2011 back when it was private. These guys work with corporations to rent their stuff out. ESPN is the biggest client. I enjoy not paying maintenance anymore!

Matt D.
Feb 26, 2012

mattd122 wrote:
I have been with them for years and I have always gotten paid. They pay out in quarterly cycles... Last 3 years I have put my points into the rental in December and I get paid by July 15th. I was with them before they incorporated in July 2011 back when it was private. These guys work with corporations to rent their stuff out. ESPN is the biggest client. I enjoy not paying maintenance anymore!

One more time how can a timeshare in SC be converted into a Texas points system. You have to remember that the timeshare in SC is owned via a contract, recorded in the county deeds and taxes are paid to the county. The only way this can be done is for someone else to take over ownership and the title transferred to the new owner via closing.

R P.
Mar 08, 2012

Hi. We are looking into this right now. Supposed to sign and pay tonight. It looks legit, but I'm wary. I saw in the contract it is open only to "Weeks" units and those are diminishing! Also, it takes 4 months to activate and 6 months to get your first check? Hmmm. I know they take credit cards, but you can't dispute the charge usually after 90 days...curious. When I asked for references, I was told no due to privacy laws...most companies readily give references! Any other experiences or others who have bought that can advise would be appreciated!

karenw608 wrote:
I have signed a contract to purchase a new timeshare on the point system called sunset harbor resort in willis, texas. Point rental liquidators rep says they will convert my current week owned in SC plus this new purcase in TX to points and that money will pay for the new resort, all maintenance fees and I receive a check for the remaining monies left over. IS THIS A SCAM. I have until tomorrow evening to cancel this agreement. Please help me save myself if this is a scam!

Byron A.
Mar 08, 2012

I went to a lunch presentation billed as an RCI information update. They were pretty vague about just how they really worked. I have several weeks in Mexico and the pitch was that no one was traveling to Mexico (which is true) so this was a way to combine all the points for better trading value. The least expensive "deed" I could purchase at Sunset Harbor was $7,800. I think this is a scam. To me it seems like a "smoke & mirror" job. I don't see how they can convert weeks from resorts in Mexico to their resort.

Jean M.
Mar 08, 2012

Ok. Thanks. I opted not to do this deal. We don't need another timeshare. I did end up calling the company that does the "rental" of your points and they said I could just buy in directly to their program. They were supposed to call me back, but didn't yet.

Byron A.
Mar 09, 2012

byrona11 wrote:
Hi. We are looking into this right now. Supposed to sign and pay tonight. It looks legit, but I'm wary. I saw in the contract it is open only to "Weeks" units and those are diminishing! Also, it takes 4 months to activate and 6 months to get your first check? Hmmm. I know they take credit cards, but you can't dispute the charge usually after 90 days...curious. When I asked for references, I was told no due to privacy laws...most companies readily give references! Any other experiences or others who have bought that can advise would be appreciated!

The fact that they tell you that weeks units are diminishing is an outright lie .... there are more weeks owned than all points systems combined.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 09, 2012 06:40 AM

Mar 19, 2012

We were called and told RCI had made some changes and they wanted to update us on this. Being an RCI member, I tho't OK. After a short time there TIMESHARE SALES PITCH came. Buy 10,000 in Sunset Harbor Resorts in Texas for approx.$8,500.00 for a studio. You will be able to deposit your existing timeshare points (100,000 max./yr) w/PRL and they will rent out and you will receive cash @ 8.5 cents /point 6 months after depositing points. You can use this to maintenance fees for existing timeshare, sunset harbor resort maintenance fees, PRL fees, etc. Sounded great, but almost too good to be true after we got home and tho't it over. Researched- VSI did apply to be accredited by BBB in Ohio. B rating, but elsewhere I found complaints against, ohio, had no complaints Tried to call the rep. we talked to, but has never returned call. Wondering if this is a SCAM Operation. From what i could find on VSI 4 people started it and just recently incorporated. Sunset Harbor based in Vegas, found very little on Could get someone on the phone, but you can't go to talk to them personally, I was told. PRL is sketchy too. Anyone else know anything on this company's legitimacy. \

Eunice D.
Mar 19, 2012

Never pay $8500 for a studio in Texas. You could probably find that for $1 on E-bay or elsewhere.

Also, never trust a timeshare salesperson who refers you to a third party to rent out your timeshare. This company will charge you an upfront fee and there's no guarantee that your unit will rent.

Lance C.
Mar 20, 2012

Ok guys. I have to say I have worked in the timeshare industry before and know alot about it. And for whoever thinks that rbi isn't going to points is wrong. I do know that prl works because my brother bought it and has been paid out twice now. It did take him 7 months to get paid but it came. I bought in about 3 months ago and will get paid also. I know what works and what don't. Most people on here don't understand that yes there is going to be some scams I. Everything in life but that don't mean everything with the word timeshare attached to it is a scam. Learn how timeshare works before talking on here about it please. I love it because without it I wouldn't be able to go to the places I have gone to. :) any questions feel free to ask. God bless.

Alan M.
Mar 20, 2012

euniced6 wrote:
We were called and told RCI had made some changes and they wanted to update us on this. Being an RCI member, I tho't OK. After a short time there TIMESHARE SALES PITCH came. Buy 10,000 in Sunset Harbor Resorts in Texas for approx.$8,500.00 for a studio. You will be able to deposit your existing timeshare points (100,000 max./yr) w/PRL and they will rent out and you will receive cash @ 8.5 cents /point 6 months after depositing points. You can use this to maintenance fees for existing timeshare, sunset harbor resort maintenance fees, PRL fees, etc. Sounded great, but almost too good to be true after we got home and tho't it over. Researched- VSI did apply to be accredited by BBB in Ohio. B rating, but elsewhere I found complaints against, ohio, had no complaints Tried to call the rep. we talked to, but has never returned call. Wondering if this is a SCAM Operation. From what i could find on VSI 4 people started it and just recently incorporated. Sunset Harbor based in Vegas, found very little on Could get someone on the phone, but you can't go to talk to them personally, I was told. PRL is sketchy too. Anyone else know anything on this company's legitimacy.

Anyone in this economy dishing out $8500 for a studio points system in TX would have to be out of their mind.

R P.
Mar 20, 2012

Sounds a lot like the Nigerian Lottery to me. Send them $ 8,500.00 and they promise to send you the money.

Don P.
Mar 20, 2012

OK. So if it is legit, do they guarantee a return of your points if they don't/can't pay? Why is BJ trying to charge me $998 instead of $499? Can you answer that?

Byron A.
Mar 20, 2012

The way I understand it is that it is $498 closing if you buy a deed and it it $998 if you are buying it by itself. You can only do the $998 thing without a timeshare if you own certaint timeshares. Bj Cooke is my person and he has always responded to me when I text him. This thread is annoying because no one gets what PRL actually does. They dont rent out the texas unit. They use the points from it to book other locations through miscellaneous exchange networks. They work with corporations... That's ok though. More money for me if no one else signs up! There is a max of 100,000 points per client per year but they call me to put in extra all the time because they dont have enough points. I haven't paid maintenance in 4 years because of PRL.

Matt D.
Mar 20, 2012

I have been using PRL and Bj for 3 years. That's back before they even incorporated last year. They are good guys. What they do is assign every timeshare a point value and then pay 8.5 cents per point. Unfortunately though, our maintenance fees have gone up over the last 3 years but their 8.5 cents per point hasn't gone up. We always put in 30,000 points for $2550 because our maintenance fees are around $2400. We own Wyndham, Summer Bay and sunset harbor. It's the best thing we've ever done. The only negative is that their program is by invitation only. We told some friends about it and they called in but were not eligible and were turned down. I looked like an idiot and felt bad for mentioning it. Not to sound selfish but I'm just glad our units are eligible. :-)

Bevery L.
Mar 20, 2012

They are not coverting it to a Texas point system. People buy a deed in Texas that is Rci points any that is part of what qualifies them for a membership. They use various exchange networks. The points are for determining the payout. That's how they decifer from say a 1 bedroom in Illinois and a 3 bedroom in Hawaii.

Bevery L.
Mar 21, 2012

beveryl wrote:
I have been using PRL and Bj for 3 years. That's back before they even incorporated last year. They are good guys. What they do is assign every timeshare a point value and then pay 8.5 cents per point. Unfortunately though, our maintenance fees have gone up over the last 3 years but their 8.5 cents per point hasn't gone up. We always put in 30,000 points for $2550 because our maintenance fees are around $2400. We own Wyndham, Summer Bay and sunset harbor. It's the best thing we've ever done. The only negative is that their program is by invitation only. We told some friends about it and they called in but were not eligible and were turned down. I looked like an idiot and felt bad for mentioning it. Not to sound selfish but I'm just glad our units are eligible. :-)

Just curious .... why were your friends not eligible? I've never heard of this company and I've been reading and contributing to timeshare forums for 12+ years.

R P.
Mar 21, 2012

Sounds like a lot of confusing language to disguise a scam to me. If it sounds like it's too good to be true than it's not true.

Don P.
Mar 22, 2012

Sorry about my last post. Ment to say my brother bought in 3 months ago and will get paid. But anyways, to answer your question yes they will rent them and they don't give points back because they will be rented. They may not be rented from prl but once you give them to prl they are rented to them pretty much. That's why it's a guarantee they will rent and pay you. I wish I could get a copy of my check from them on here to show y'all but I can't. But like the other person on here said, more money for me. :). :) god bless

Alan M.

This thread is closed. Try searching for a topic or browse our list of forums to join the discussion.