Timeshare Exchanges

Am I crazy? How do points work with II?

Apr 15, 2012

We just purchased a Jr Suite week in Cabo at Villa dell Arco. Might get a refund if we're still uneasy, we have 1 week in winter for 1200 points. Does this resort have a lot of trading power? We mainly bought it to exchange for other locations around the world. How would we step up to a 2 bdrm? Just add more points?

Thanks

Zach V.
Apr 16, 2012

zachv4 wrote:
We just purchased a Jr Suite week in Cabo at Villa dell Arco. Might get a refund if we're still uneasy, we have 1 week in winter for 1200 points. Does this resort have a lot of trading power? We mainly bought it to exchange for other locations around the world. How would we step up to a 2 bdrm? Just add more points?

Thanks

Rescind immediately by following the instructions in your contract. Until you know exactly what you want then you need to study, study, study all avenues before buying into any timeshare system.

Exchanging is not all it's cracked up to be. A timeshare salesperson will tell you that you can exchange into any timeshare any place in the world if you buy their product. This is simply not true .... there are many variables involving exchanging including the supply and demand of the resort that you want to trade into and the resort and time you own. Many people deposit their timeshares a year in advance to get the popular locations if their owned resort can even pull it.

You really need to study all phases of timesharing backwards and forwards before buying.

R P.
Apr 16, 2012

One more thing .... never buy from a developer salesperson .... always buy on the resale market as you get the same product for pennies on the dollar.

R P.
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the wisdom Jayjay, just sent my cancellation letter this morning. I really appreciate the warning. What's the best way to figure all this out? Especially since every property seems to work so differently or have a different trade value.

Also, it seems like the Getaways are a great value. Is there a cheap way to get into II just to get access to those?

Zach V.
Apr 18, 2012

zachv4 wrote:
Thanks for the wisdom Jayjay, just sent my cancellation letter this morning. I really appreciate the warning. What's the best way to figure all this out? Especially since every property seems to work so differently or have a different trade value.

Also, it seems like the Getaways are a great value. Is there a cheap way to get into II just to get access to those?

It's all relative to what you are looking for via timesharing .... a fixed week/fixed unit every year in the same resort, a floating week within a certain timeframe, a points system etc.

If I were to ever get back into timesharing I would choose a point system for the flexibility, however you would need to research all the different point systems out there and what they had to offer. When timesharing was only fixed weeks/fixed units/fixed resort every year it was far less complicated than it is now.

I don't believe RCI nor II will let you become a member if you don't own a timeshare in their system, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.