Ask RedWeek

How to rent out RCI points

Feb 18, 2014

I have a lot of RCI points that I banked from my wyndham points because I was busy and could not take time off for vacation. How do I go about renting out the points?

Mary A.
Feb 18, 2014

Sorry not trying to post an ad. Just needed an answer then would go ahead to post. Was not sure if I could post points.

Mary A.
Feb 19, 2014

It's against RCI's rules to rent or sell banked points or weeks .... if you had not banked them then you could have rented them.

R P.
Feb 19, 2014

marya1368 wrote:
I have a lot of RCI points that I banked from my wyndham points because I was busy and could not take time off for vacation. How do I go about renting out the points?

I'm a little confused. Did you bank RCI Points or Wyndham Points. They are two different point systems.

Also, if you have Wyndham points, you might be able to book a unit and then rent out that unit but you can not rent out your points.

Lance C.
Feb 27, 2014

I am confused. I read this post (and a couple others) about renting RCI points or exchange weeks. I just called RCI/Wyndham and asked them if renting an exchange week to an outside party was allowable. She told me "yes" - they just need to have a guest certificate. I specifically asked was it against any rule to accept payment and she said no. As long as they have the guest certificate ($59 each) there should be no problems.

Vickie Z.
Feb 27, 2014

vickiez wrote:
I am confused. I read this post (and a couple others) about renting RCI points or exchange weeks. I just called RCI/Wyndham and asked them if renting an exchange week to an outside party was allowable. She told me "yes" - they just need to have a guest certificate. I specifically asked was it against any rule to accept payment and she said no. As long as they have the guest certificate ($59 each) there should be no problems.

As Lance stated above the RCI Point System and the Wyndham Point System are two completely different point systems.

I don't know who you called but renting or selling deposited points or weeks and exchanges are against RCI's policy .... perhaps Wyndham allows you to rent deposited points/weeks/exchanges in their system but RCI does not.

I would have to ask if you talked to Wyndham or RCI.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 27, 2014 09:49 AM

Feb 27, 2014

I called the RCI number reserved for Wyndham members. To clarify, I banked my Wyndham points on RCI and reserved a week. It is booked and we cannot go.

Vickie Z.

Last edited by vickiez on Feb 27, 2014 09:17 AM

Feb 27, 2014

vickiez wrote:
I called the RCI number reserved for Wyndham members. To clarify, I banked my Wyndham points on RCI and reserved a week. It is booked and we cannot go.

To my knowledge, you can 'gift' your booked week to a friend or family member with the only compensation to you being the exchange fee and guest certificate fee .... unless RCI's policies have changed you cannot make a profit or reimbursement of your maintenance fee. I would call the number you previously dialed and read them this post .... I would hate to see you get in trouble for renting an exchange in the amount of your maintenance fee or for a profit.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 27, 2014 09:53 AM

Feb 27, 2014

These are the terms from RCI's disclosure guide page 13-14. They are in the Disclosure Guide link at the bottom of RCI.com. You don't have to be logged on.

"D. Guest Certificates and Guest Passes may not be used for any commercial purpose, or monetary or other consideration, by Member or guest, including without limitation auction, barter, rental, raffle or W14 sale of the Guest Pass or Guest Certificate or the underlying Confirmed Exchange. Their use is also subject to any conditions, restrictions or limitations which may be imposed by an Inventory provider. E. Members are responsible for all acts and omissions of their guests and for any damage caused or expenses incurred by their guests while using any Inventory in the Program, including people who are using Guest Certificates or Guest Passes. F. RCI reserves the right, in its sole discretion (without refund or credit) and without limitation to do the following: revoke a Confirmed Exchange, Guest Certificate or Guest Pass; terminate or suspend the membership of the relevant Member; or deny access to any of the products or services offered in connection with membership in the event of any failure to comply with these Terms and Conditions, by any Member, guest of a Member, or the holder of a Guest Certificate or Guest Pass. "

So my suggestion is if you have extra time you may let a friend or family member use it if you purchase the guest cert. If your friend wants to thank you, that's fine, but you can't advertise renting your exchange time on a public forum or advertising site because you are violating the terms of your RCI membership.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.