Timeshare Exchanges

Interval International Exchange Request

Feb 22, 2014

Hi all, I want to stay at a certain resort in Cancun (Villa Del Palmar) VGR & VG3. I can never find it available. I only found it on the getaway option but it was too expensive for a studio unit. I also would require a minimum 1 bedroom but looking for a two. Anyway, has anyone had any luck with an exchange request? You have to pay before putting in your request.

Lisa M.
Mar 18, 2014

I understand your frustration. I have a specific resort I want to go to as well and a specific week. Requested for 2014 a full year in advance but did not get it. Extended my request to a specific week in 2015. I am beginning to think it may have something to do with the resort affiliation - some of them are RCI and some II, then again some DAE, but who knows. It seems that the best approach is to pick the time you want to travel and then be flexible about the resort or be specific about the resort and flexible on the dates. Unfortunately, we still have one child in school and are limited on our travel dates. Not sure there is any thing else we can do.

Christine S.
Mar 19, 2014

Christine, What resort and what week are you looking at?

Tracey S.
Mar 19, 2014

Resort = Eagle's Nest in Marco Island, FL Week = #13 in 2015

Christine S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Mar 19, 2014 07:28 PM

Mar 19, 2014

I think that is an almost impossible exchange. Snowbird and spring break weeks never seem to pop up in that area. Even summer and fall weeks which are low season appear rarely. Even if one did I am not sure you would have enough trading power. I know the Marriott on Marco even off season weeks can only be seen by 2-3 br platinum beach front Marriott's. None of the inland, lakefront or non oceanfront resorts can see or match and exchange into the inventory even when a unit is sitting available online.

Also as you said, for Eagle's Nest, since they are an affiliate of Hilton, the inventory is further diluted.

You would have a better shot at using your exchange week in the summer and being fairly flexible, rather than selecting one very hard to get area and resort during a single holiday week.

Tracey S.
Mar 19, 2014

Just because I think it is very unlikely doesn't mean it can't happen. I was equally skeptical about a summer exchange into a particular Mid atlantic beach town in the summer because you never see anything but Dec-March available online in II but then someone came back to say they matched after about 5 months 6 months in advance.

I just would think about making back up plans in case it doesn't happen and possibly a plan to use your week elsewhere before it expires if the exchange you want into Eagle's Nest doesn't happen.

Tracey S.
Jun 01, 2014

You are a little late to be requesting but it isn't prime time so you should be ok. Have you started an ongoing request or are you just checking inventory daily? For your best chances you should do both.

Tracey S.
Jun 01, 2014

herman43 wrote:
I AM LOOKING FOR AN EXCHANGE WEEK AT...THE MIDDLE OF SEPTEMBER, 2014.

Did you deposit your week? If so, with which exchange company? Or are you looking to do a direct exchange with another owner?

At this late date, one option might be to rent out your unit and use that money toward renting a unit where your want to stay.

Lance C.
Dec 14, 2014

Interestingly enough we abandoned our search for a Spring Break week in Marco Island, FL because my brother was able to snag VDP in Peuro Vallarta (3/28-4/4/15) using a deposited II week. So it is possible. When are you looking to stay? Cancun seems pretty hard to get into.

Christine S.
Dec 28, 2015

WARNING!

If we help only one person it will be worth the pain. We have a very expensive and popular timeshare. We have been with Interval International for 13 years and have only been able to trade for garbage. What you get is what is left after all the principles and executives (their kids, grandkids, great grand kids, 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins twice removed) have taken what they want.

Go with II at your own risk or simply rent your timeshare week on Redweek. I know this sounds like a paid ad but it's not. Last year we decided not to trade with II and simply booked our unit and then listed it on RW. We received 3 times what the value of an II trade was worth to us. We paid the maintenance fees and taxes and put $1,500 in our vacation account to go where we wanted to. This was/is so much better than fishing for hours on end with II only to settle for something less than what we owned already. CU Interval International!

James E.
Dec 28, 2015

Great advice. Even if you get less than what you pay in maintenance fees it's still better than losing the week. I agree that you should take the chance and book a week and then put it up for rent. Try to pick a week that is popular at the resort that you own.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Dec 28, 2015 03:42 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.