Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

unable to give away timeshare-need lawyer?

Jul 23, 2017

ok. has anyone used Red Week and actually successfully sold their timeshare? I see several listed for my same timeshare resort, but I wonder if the sale listing just expires- or the timeshare actually gets sold. They don't seem to list the sold date for these listings that just "disappear" from the list of timeshares for sale. It would be nice to see what they sold for and on what date. How does Red Week demonstrate or indicate that their "sales service" works for these owners? Where are the sales for the month indicated? Red Week does want a fee upfront to list/help you sell /close on the sale your timeshare. Does anyone have a positive experience selling a timeshare with Red Week? What about closing arrangements? I am out of state and making sure the title sure title transfer was properly completed and other details of the closing went through properly would be difficult. How is proof provided?

Maureen T.
Jul 23, 2017

I will guarantee that no HOA is going to spend the time and money to take a person to court and try to prove that they were deceived by the owner who legally transferred their ownership to another . That point is mute and nowhere is the owner responsible to guarantee financial responsibility when they transfer ownership.

Lets get back to the sales presentation . It's designed to lure people in with the promise of a gift to the victims and then held as an incentive to stay as long as the seller holds them hostage to wear them down . The presentation is also designed to be held when the victims are in a euphoric state enjoying a vacation . Don't forget that the victim is away from home enjoying a vacation and not reading the fine print on the paperwork until usually they get home and the rescission period has expired.

The developers spend millions of dollars to sell a product that is essentially worthless once you walk out the door. I have no guilt in using any tactic to rid myself of something that was sold to me through deceit . If this product is as valuable as they claim in their sales presentation then they should welcome it back for free. If you don't see the irony in that then you are looking through blinders .

Don P.
Jul 23, 2017

maureent70 wrote:
ok. has anyone used Red Week and actually successfully sold their timeshare? I see several listed for my same timeshare resort, but I wonder if the sale listing just expires- or the timeshare actually gets sold. They don't seem to list the sold date for these listings that just "disappear" from the list of timeshares for sale. It would be nice to see what they sold for and on what date. How does Red Week demonstrate or indicate that their "sales service" works for these owners? Where are the sales for the month indicated? Red Week does want a fee upfront to list/help you sell /close on the sale your timeshare. Does anyone have a positive experience selling a timeshare with Red Week? What about closing arrangements? I am out of state and making sure the title sure title transfer was properly completed and other details of the closing went through properly would be difficult. How is proof provided?

I have successfully used RedWeek as an advertising venue FIVE separate times since late 2009 to sell off most of our timeshare weeks as we drastically reduced our ownerships. We have never made any money on a resale (which was never our objective anyhow) and have usually about broken even; in two instances we lost money compared to purchase price ---- but after years of use and enjoyment. We have never purchased (and would never consider purchasing) directly from any developer at their obscene prices; we have only purchased in the resale market. Accordingly, our "losses" have not been huge (the worst was a $1,500 "loss" on our most recent transaction). That most recent transaction (...yes, our buyer was found by posting a RedWeek ad) "closed" about two weeks ago.

It's important to be realistic and acknowledge, however painful it may be, that wherever you choose to advertise, the resale market value simply "is what it is". No one cares even one little bit what a seller may have originally overpaid to a developer. That stratospheric figure has absolutely no bearing on current value or demand in the open resale marketplace. Sadly, people who paid inflated developer prices are fortunate if they can manage to recover even 5-10% of their original purchase price (high end products like Disney VC or Hyatt RC are noteworthy exceptions that will always do considerably better). Westgates might not even be able to be given away FOR FREE, since onerous Westgate reservation policy constraints greatly (and very deliberately on Westgate's part) devalue all Westgate resales.

Yes, you must pay to advertise on RedWeek, but I personally believe that RedWeek is the best timeshare resale site around by far for resale sellers, particular since ONLY paid RW members can even respond at all to RW ads. That membership requirement virtually eliminates any contacts from scammers, spammers and / or insincere tire kickers, since people in those groups will very rarely "pay to play". You can always advertise for free on craigslist, but that's an open invitation to receive all kinds of inquiries, only some of them even remotely legitimate in the first place. When it comes to advertising, I think that in general "you get what you pay for" (just my personal opinion).

I have never chosen to utilize RedWeek's "full service" option. I've personally never felt any need for the "third party" assistance (or the additional cost), so I cannot intelligently comment on the success or merits of the "full service" option --- we've used RedWeek only for the advertising platform. For the record, in case you think I am waving RedWeek's flag here, I have absolutely no affiliation with RedWeek other than being a long time paid member and a voluntary participant in these RedWeek discussion forums.

I paid the additional fee to be "RedWeek verified" only on our most recent resale ad. This means that (for a fee) RedWeek independently confirms that you OWN exactly what you are advertising and that posted details (unit identification, week, maintenance fees, usage frequency, etc.) are accurate in the ad. I cannot and do not claim to know how beneficial or influential an ad being "RedWeek verified" might be to potential buyers. As the seller, you must provide RedWeek with backup documentation (i.e., deed copy, maintenance fee bill copy) for RW to then independently "verify" all claimed ownership details directly with the resort before RW "verifies" your posted ad.

Except for "closed auctions" on eBay, it is always very difficult (almost impossible, actually) to conclusively determine selling price vs. asking / advertised price. No seller is ever obligated to openly (or accurately) disclose their actual final selling price to others in any private timeshare transaction. Even when using "closed auction" figures on eBay for comparison purposes, you must find sales very nearly identical to what YOU are selling for any such retrieved "selling price" information to be truly meaningful. Deeds are of course public records, but deeds frequently do not reveal the selling price at all, sometimes making only vague reference to "ten dollars or other valuable consideration". Also, you need to know a grantor or grantee name, correctly spelled, in order to even FIND deeds online in the first place in County records.

There are numerous third party closing entities which handle timeshare transfers and all of the transaction related details (new deed preparation, escrow of funds, deed signatures, official recording, later resort notification of ownership change) at relatively low cost. Only some of these "closing / transfer" entities are consistently competent, reliable and reasonably priced. My personal favorite for many years was JRA Services, but the principal in that business (Janet A.) closed it down a year or so ago to pursue a new career in real estate. Since then, I have twice utilized (and have been entirely satisfied with) LT Transfers in Cleveland, GA; they are competent, experienced and trustworthy --- and the least expensive closing / transfer service around. They are also very nice people. I believe that if you opt to utilize RedWeek's "full service" option, you get locked in to using First American Title for closing (there is nothing wrong with First American Title). Whichever closing / transfer entity you utilize, you must of course FIRST find a willing, legitimate buyer, by advertising wherever you see fit. Deed work, closing and transfer procedures are all relatively simple and straightforward matters --- FINDING a willing, sincere and legitimate new "grantee" to successfully get to the closing "finish line" is ALWAYS the hardest part of the whole timeshare resale process. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 26, 2017 02:20 PM

Jul 23, 2017

donp196 wrote:
I will guarantee that no HOA is going to spend the time and money to take a person to court and try to prove that they were deceived by the owner who legally transferred their ownership to another . That point is mute and nowhere is the owner responsible to guarantee financial responsibility when they transfer ownership.

Not sure about your legal background or experience (and I think you actually mean "moot"), but I respectfully submit that your above quoted "guarantee" lacks any foundation or merit. As a sitting elected member on a timeshare Board of Directors, I can assure you that it's not particularly difficult (or expensive) to simply reverse and void a blatantly phony transfer, such as those sometimes effected (temporarily) by bogus "Viking Ship" LLC operations, for example, or by deeds signed over to non-existent (or deceased) people as new "grantee". It doesn't even actually require or involve taking the misguided grantor to court, but merely requires proving the "acceptance" itself to be legally deficient and invalid in order to void the deed and put the ownership (and all fees owed, plus interest and late fees) right back onto the lap of the person(s) who unwisely and quite mistakenly chose to believe that they could just quietly slink away from their legal obligations merely by identifying a bogus new "grantee" in a legally deficient and invalid deed. That unfounded belief just ain't so, bro.

That observation aside, developer sales presentations is an entirely different and completely unrelated topic. Personally, I think that lying, deceitful timeshare developer sales weasels are among the lowest forms of life inhabiting this planet --- they are lower than whale excrement which has sunk to the ocean floor, in my opinion. However, people still CHOOSE to parade into those timeshare presentations for the relatively worthless "gifts", then endure hours of lies and psychological manipulation, then freely and voluntarily CHOOSE to sign on the dotted line and commit to paying obscene amounts of money. Their contract plainly states ** in writing**" that any oral representations made by sales personnel are not in any way binding unless also overtly reflected in writing within the four corners of the contract. Furthermore, buyers are also handed written rescission (cancellation) rights and instructions, as is required by applicable state law, at the time of contract execution. Apparently, many buyers don't bother to read ANY of this material handed directly to them --- neither before nor after voluntarily executing the contract. Accordingly, at the risk of seeming harsh, my sympathy is limited for such ill considered decisions, poor choices and a complete lack of effort to examine or understand the financial and legal commitment which they plainly CHOSE to make of their own free will.

Didn't Tom Hanks (as Forrest Gump) once say something like "Stupid is as stupid does" ?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 24, 2017 07:05 AM

Jul 24, 2017

I will stand by my statement even if I misspelled a word. Does anyone think for one minute an HOA is going to pay tens of thousands of dollars to fight an owner giving back one unit when it has a lot more on it's agenda . There are no timeshare owner detectives out there tracking down transfer papers. It's common sense and by the time they realize the time and expense involved it would be in their benefit to take it back and find a new owner and move on.

All you legal jargon and arguments is exactly why our court systems are so back up in this country. This is a simple act of one getting out of something that the industry should assist in helping out with and not fighting it . Once the owners have a way out then the industry will finally come to their senses and start working with owners .

I was wiling to go to any length to get my timeshares out of my name and I apparently conveyed that idea to two HOA's and they both took back the deeds . I convinced them that it was in their best interest to work with me. I gave them a stern warning and I meant it. It's a civil matter and I was going to use any and all resources at my disposal.

I'm for the common man and not the industry but I have to question anyone who argues for the industry about their motivations . I will continue to post my opinion and hopefully help others who are at their wits end dealing with a product that they were lied about and now stuck with .

Let's not forget that this is a civil matter and try not to blow out of proportion and use scare tactics . This is America and I have a perfectly legal right to transfer property to another person and I am under no obligation to guarantee the financial security of the new owner .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jul 24, 2017 07:52 AM

Jul 24, 2017

donP196:

It seems that we might be having two entirely separate and detached conversations, perhaps in parallel universes. One or both of us is apparently either not listening to the other or just not interpreting the other's input correctly.

I respect the fact that you are clearly pro-consumer --- good on 'ya! However, to suggest or imply that I am somehow in any way "pro-developer" is just patently absurd and frankly almost humorous. However, these are discussion forums in which anyone is free to express their opinion, whether factually accurate or completely unfounded in truth.

Your perspective might well be quite different if you could see first hand some of the numerous successful actions which MY very proactive resort Board (an independent resort by the way, not in any way past or present associated with ANY "chain developer") has effectively and inexpensively undertaken in a focused effort to look out for and protect the interests of ALL owners at our resort who choose to meet and honor their (voluntarily undertaken) contractual obligations. We do not tolerate attempted fraud and we jump on it with both feet. Extensive legal experience on the (unpaid, volunteer) Board surely helps.

I am certainly not "pro-developer" --- but I AM decidedly "anti-stupidity". That being said, I am all for WHATEVER action it takes for people to (lawfully) extricate themselves from the greedy and deceitful clutches of the slimy likes of Westgate, Wyndham and Diamond. In my personal opinion, this trio is directly responsible for much (most?) of the well deserved and badly tarnished image of the slimy industry in which those three remain major players.

I would never argue for a moment (and never have) for the irrelevant and absurd notion of a "grantor" being in any way responsible for the financial status of a new "grantee"; the very concept is just plain silly. However, like it or not, under the rule of law in this country, deed transfers have OTHER standards to meet in order to be valid. Without such standards, people could deed unwanted property and the associated obligations to random names in the phone book or to Vladimir Putin or to their neighbor's three legged cat. No can do.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 25, 2017 03:55 AM

Jul 24, 2017

I agree with Ken. I don't think it would take much to show that you transferred a timeshare to someone who you did the barest of due diligence to determine that they are an actual person who is willing to take your timeshare and the future obligations that go along with it. You certainly don't need to perform a back ground check and a few emails would probably establish both parties intent.

I just read an article about one of these relief companies whose employees were sentenced for fraud. One of the charges was the company stole the identities of 75 persons and fraudulently transferred timeshares to them.

If a quit claim deed to any name (without establishing that they are willing to accept the timeshare and understand their obligation going forward) is all that is legally needed, then why not give out that advice. Because it is a fraudulent transfer? An HOA may not go after one owner that does it but if more and more do it, they will have to do something to fight back.

Tracey S.
Jul 24, 2017

As a fictional character once stated that everyone should open their windows and shout " I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore " . Go after the deceitful companies that sold this trash through their lying sales staffs and then created shell companies to siphon off monies in raised maintenance fees . Don't be going after the desperate owner who now has to use what ever means he can find to rid himself of the burden that was sold to him under false marketing . I'm glad I ruffled some feathers in the forum .

Let each individual decide what is right for their own family . I would not hesitate to transfer a timeshare out of my name by any means that doesn't break any law in my opinion . You can argue all your legal mumbo jumbo and that is what attorneys do and you know that most people have a very low opinion of lawyers and that is one reason.

I'm not going to sit here and argue your legal opinion which is just what it is an opinion. It's up to a judge in a courtroom to decide what is legal not your opinion. You are biased by your role on the board of directors and I am advocating for the little guy .

I welcome more discussion on the topic and I have an idea that I have given some people out there the courage to stand up for themselves and take matters into their own hands. I won't be intimidated by someone who tries to claim what I have said is a crime. My answer is bring it on . My advice to others is the same : don't be intimidated by baseless threats .

Don P.
Jul 24, 2017

It is my personal belief and opinion that your perspective is (perhaps deliberately) in denial of "truth and consequences", since you clearly do not like the harsh realities of either one on this topic. Like it or not, fraudulent actions have potential consequences. Indisputable is the fact (it's not a theory or armchair opinion; it's a fact) that I have direct, first hand, personal experience in getting fraudulent deeds voided. It's really not very difficult to accomplish.

For the record, no one has attempted in any way to "intimidate" you (or anyone else here) --- and whether or not you "like" attorneys is neither relevant nor of any particular interest. I do however find it beyond comprehension that you could somehow perceive an unpaid, volunteer role as a Board member at a small independent resort (where I own and use several weeks myself) as being "biased". The people who asked me (and then elected me) to serve in that role ARE, in fact, the "little guys" and "common man" you allegedly champion ---- while having absolutely NO "skin in the game" yourself. I find all of that to be quite ironic.

I'm not interested in ongoing banter; our respective viewpoints have already been plainly and clearly expressed. We can surely at least agree that people are ALWAYS free to make their own personal decisions and pursue their own chosen, individual courses of action.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 25, 2017 05:22 AM

Jul 24, 2017

I am not in denial of anything. Why is it that when one of the one percent or a huge corporation uses a " loophole " they are held in high esteem but when an ordinary citizen uses one they are called criminal . I will never back down from my position. Just because I came up with a potential tactic I will not be discouraged from passing it on. Let each person decide what they think of it . If anyone is successful in using their own approach to get rid of something they were deceived into purchasing then kudos.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jul 24, 2017 11:33 AM

Jul 25, 2017

I just read a story on MSN on the internet that reports on a program run by attorneys that legally hides people's assets in trusts so they qualify for medicaid . According to the article the program is legal but unethical and lots of people are using it. How on earth can attorneys endorse that kind of behavior and then turn around a question the motives of someone who does what he has to do to protect his family's financial stability by finding a means to rid himself of a product that was sold to him through deceit .

Unfortunately we live in a world where we have to do what is right for us and our families . I have no qualms about anyone using any means or tactics to rid themselves of something that was sold to them through deception . Don't be intimidated by anyone that doesn't approve of your methods. Do what you have to do .

Don P.
Jul 29, 2017

Ken, I would hope that the "fraudulent actions" of shady timeshare developers/resorts also have "potential consequences". That seems like a taboo subject , I'd like to see more commentary on that. Let's talk about why there is a need for a "perpetuity clause" in timeshare and why can't this be eliminated for future purchases and made retro for the multitude of people who want out, instead of relying on the "slim to none chance" of the do it yourself resale market . Not "You were stupid enough to sign the papers of your own free will" so "like it or not there is no way out"" The lawyers & courts are not on your side" Your mistake! Too Bad" !

Gerard S.
Jul 31, 2017

gerards23 wrote:
Ken, I would hope that the "fraudulent actions" of shady timeshare developers/resorts also have "potential consequences". That seems like a taboo subject , I'd like to see more commentary on that. Let's talk about why there is a need for a "perpetuity clause" in timeshare and why can't this be eliminated for future purchases and made retro for the multitude of people who want out, instead of relying on the "slim to none chance" of the do it yourself resale market . Not "You were stupid enough to sign the papers of your own free will" so "like it or not there is no way out"" The lawyers & courts are not on your side" Your mistake! Too Bad" !

When you buy ANY form of real estate (primary house, vacation home, condo, etc. ), you own it until you resell it, give it away, pass it on --- or lose it to foreclosure. It is not logical to expect a timeshare property purchase (which IS "real estate") to somehow be any different. One very significant difference, of course, is that precious few other examples of real estate besides timeshares can or do ever become so quickly worthless and unwanted in the resale market that some of them literally cannot even be given away for free.

Actually, some date-finite ownerships DO exist in the timeshare world, but only where the CC&R's (governing condo documents filed when the place was originally built) identify from the beginning a specific end date for the PLACE ITSELF as a timeshare property (not individual ownerships at the property). In Florida, that time frame is frequently 40 years after initial construction. With the "chains" (e.g., Wyndham, Westgate, Diamond, etc.) I don't believe that such "end dates" exist however. In NO case could governing documents ever just be "retroactively" altered to unilaterally insert "ownership end dates"; to do so would be overtly and very plainly unlawful. End dates also exist in many "right to use" (RTU) memberships (in which there is no actual ownership of anything except a right to "use" anyhow) but even then, not in ALL RTU's.

Personally, what I would very much like to see is FEDERAL LEGISLATION which severely curtails and very strictly controls timeshare developer sales practices NATIONALLY. Unfortunately, that prospect is nowhere on the visible horizon. Congress cannot even seem to agree on a time to have lunch, let alone tackle and strictly regulate a (luxury) "niche" matter like timeshare sales. States have adopted their own individual contract rescission (cancellation) laws, but those "cooling off" periods are very brief, ranging from only 3 days to 10 days, depending upon the individual state. Only three states have as long as 10 days to cancel; in most states it's 5-7 days. In three or four states, it's only 3 days!

Unfortunately, the developers have their butts very well covered, simply by writing contracts that very clearly state, in writing, that any oral representations made are not in any way binding and that only what is stated in writing within the four corners of the contract has any legal meaning at all. Also, there is currently absolutely no legal requirement for the developer to disclose that the "product" may very well have a 90% (or more) decrease in resale market value before the ink on the purchase contract is even completely dry.

Few buyers ever even bother to read the contract contents before (...or after, for that matter) signing their contract. It is (sadly) entirely "legal" (even if also unethical and reprehensible) for the timeshare sales weasels to just lie through their teeth, knowing full well that only the contract content itself is enforceable or meaningful. Only legislation with real teeth can or will ever force any significant or meaningful change down their greedy throats. Without any such legislation forcing much needed changes, the deceptive sales practices will just continue without interruption --- all day, every day --- just as they have for decades already.

I wish I had some encouraging, positive "happy talk" to offer. I don't. The truth is unwelcome and unpleasant; I can't help that. It is your prerogative to just shoot the messenger anyhow.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 31, 2017 08:42 AM

Jul 31, 2017

The Finn Law Group in Florida is all over the internet as a time share lawyer "guaranteeing" that they will get you out of your time share and all future obligations with it. Opinions? Has anyone been successful with any time share attorney?

Michael A.
Jul 31, 2017

michaela848 wrote:
The Finn Law Group in Florida is all over the internet as a time share lawyer "guaranteeing" that they will get you out of your time share and all future obligations with it. Opinions? Has anyone been successful with any time share attorney?

I personally met and spoke with attorney Mike Finn (03/20/2017) at a meeting during which he spoke to a timeshare owners group in Sarasota, Florida (he was NOT peddling legal services, by the way). With all due respect, I do NOT believe that Mr. Finn "guarantees" any such thing as you claim above. Can you cite any specific source or reference that we can independently view for ourselves that indicates otherwise and / or supports your claim of an alleged "guarantee"?

Finn's most recently initiated legal action is against Diamond, alleging in part that a portion of what is supposed to be "resort maintenance fees" is being siphoned off to / by "corporate" instead, at the expense of the property and the support of its' infrastructure (for which those funds are very specifically and solely earmarked and collected).

To the best of my knowledge and belief, not only does Mr. Finn NOT guarantee "successful exits", I don't believe that he even accepts all cases presented to him. My understanding is that he first requires (at no no cost to the prospective client) completion of a detailed questionnaire, in order to make an informed assessment as to whether or not there is even any potential basis for a "case" in the first place. (Neither "buyer's remorse" nor being "tired of paying maintenance fees" can even remotely begin to constitute a sound or legitimate basis for a "case", by the way). Unlike slimy Castle Law Group in Tennessee, Finn's office may very well DECLINE a case OR any retainer. I am frankly inclined to believe that Mr. Finn and his firm may have a lot more "juice and horsepower" WITHIN Florida than outside of it, but that's just a personal and anecdotal impression on my part.

It is my belief that NO attorney on earth (including Michael Finn) has any magic beans or secret processes by which to easily extricate someone from the (voluntarily accepted) contractual obligations of timeshare ownership. None. If there is a legal shortcoming or some other "opening" to potentially exploit, Mike Finn would certainly be my choice to represent me and my "case", but as far as any "magical escapes", neither he nor any other attorney can ever "guarantee" any such thing. You openly asked for opinions; that's mine.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 01, 2017 05:15 AM

Jul 31, 2017

The problem I have with the " guarantee " is that it usually pertains to a money back guarantee . To me that is no consolation . I would never pay a large upfront fee to anyone especially someone I " heard about " on the internet. I do respect Ken's judgement but I stand firm on my own opinion not to send anyone a large upfront payment . I have always advised people that feel they need the services of an attorney to find one where they live that they can actually walk int their office and talk to someone.

Don P.
Jul 31, 2017

donp196 wrote:
The problem I have with the " guarantee " is that it usually pertains to a money back guarantee . To me that is no consolation . I would never pay a large upfront fee to anyone especially someone I " heard about " on the internet. I do respect Ken's judgement but I stand firm on my own opinion not to send anyone a large upfront payment . I have always advised people that feel they need the services of an attorney to find one where they live that they can actually walk int their office and talk to someone.

I do not disagree with Don's above input or perspective on this matter. That being said, I respectfully submit that the potential obstacle or limitation to consulting and utilizing a local attorney is that while said local attorney may have a local office and a basic, fundamental understanding of contracts ( a basic "1L" law school course of study for any lawyer-to-be, after all), they may know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the many complexities and nuances and oddities of timeshares (such as governing condo documents, HOA or corporate policies and practices, whether it's a "trust" within a "chain", etc.). You may end up spending as much (or more) money for the local attorney to get himself / herself "educated" as you pay for actual "representation". Also, you should bear in mind that a timeshare operates under the laws and processes of the state in which it was formed and / or is physically located. If a timeshare is in Florida, for example, your local attorney in North Podunk, Minnesota may know much less about pertinent timeshare details than YOU do.

All that aside, except in very rare instances, I have consistently said that I do NOT believe that looking to ANY attorney for a (non-existent) "magical escape" from timeshare ownership is likely to be wise or productive. Just my own personal opinion. YMMV.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 31, 2017 01:02 PM

Jul 31, 2017

This is the benefit of the forum . We share information so that others can make an informed and educated decision . I hope that our input has helped you and others . I thank Redweek for giving us this forum for open discussion .

Don P.
Aug 04, 2017

Ken ,Thank You for your response, This is the type of feedback I was looking for. I hold no anger or grudge against you as you've implied. However I'm 60 years old retired and totally disgusted with this whole timeshare industry . In my opinion there is no need to "own" your own hotel room.If you want to vacation just call up your resort and make a reservation whenever & where-ever you want , pay for it, go enjoy then return home without any strings attached. In my opinion this is NOT real estate even though they have structured it as such (mortgage,maintenance,property tax,etc.). You "own" nothing but the contract you sign. Especially the "FLEX-TIME" undefined week version that I was conned into purchasing (7days over 3 years) which was oversold because of aggressive goal oriented sales tactics. Maybe a specific defined week 1 thru 52 may be more reasonable and still have value and resale-ability. I've stopped paying mortgage & maintenance, and am not concerned about credit scores at this point in my life. I wish they would repossess it but even they know that there is nothing to repossess to begin with perhaps "TIME". Yes I am angry,bitter and want out of this. Right now the NYS Attorney General has an ongoing investigation (3 yrs) against my resort. There can be no sales or foreclosures until this investigation is finished. I've given them enough of my money already they'll have to get that "perpetual irrevocable" maintenance fee out of my corpse.Thank You.

Gerard S.
Aug 04, 2017

gerards23 wrote:
Ken ,Thank You for your response, This is the type of feedback I was looking for. I hold no anger or grudge against you as you've implied. However I'm 60 years old retired and totally disgusted with this whole timeshare industry . In my opinion there is no need to "own" your own hotel room.If you want to vacation just call up your resort and make a reservation whenever & where-ever you want , pay for it, go enjoy then return home without any strings attached. In my opinion this is NOT real estate even though they have structured it as such (mortgage,maintenance,property tax,etc.). You "own" nothing but the contract you sign. Especially the "FLEX-TIME" undefined week version that I was conned into purchasing (7days over 3 years) which was oversold because of aggressive goal oriented sales tactics. Maybe a specific defined week 1 thru 52 may be more reasonable and still have value and resale-ability. I've stopped paying mortgage & maintenance, and am not concerned about credit scores at this point in my life. I wish they would repossess it but even they know that there is nothing to repossess to begin with perhaps "TIME". Yes I am angry,bitter and want out of this. Right now the NYS Attorney General has an ongoing investigation (3 yrs) against my resort. There can be no sales or foreclosures until this investigation is finished. I've given them enough of my money already they'll have to get that "perpetual irrevocable" maintenance fee out of my corpse.Thank You.

I have neither implied nor intended to imply anything at all, but that's irrelevant. There are many different types and forms and flavors of timeshares. Some (including all of ours) are literally and most certainly "real estate", in which you own (by officially recorded deed) a specific week in a specific unit for your own exclusive use and access each year. There are of course many other "flavors" of timeshare, all of them less desirable (at least to me, but that's just my own personal opinion).

There is absolutely no doubt that the timeshare industry (particularly at at the developer level) is replete with assorted liars, parasites, connivers, charlatans, greedy sales weasels, opportunists and various other thievesand scoundrels of ill intent. Fortunately however, there are also many smaller, independent timeshare resorts whose Board of Directors and HOA is comprised solely of other owners --- unpaid volunteers with no hidden agenda or motivation of personal gain, merely looking out for the interests of ALL owners there.

Your description sounds to me very much like the ongoing mess at Manhattan Club in NYC. If so, I can only wish you well and hope that you can somehow extricate yourself from that situation and emerge whole. From what I've read of things there, it's truly a mess --- at best.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 05, 2017 10:06 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.