General Discussion

STARWOOD Timeshare Right of Refusal

Oct 04, 2016

I want to sell my timeshare at the Westin Kanipauli. I called Starwood to inquire how to do this, and they told me that they had a last right of refusal if I had someone which means that they could stop my sale. They did offer to buy it for $7,500. I paid $40,000. Is that legal? They would just turn around and sell it for $40,000 or $50,000. Has any one else dealt with this?

Sheri S.
Oct 04, 2016

Yes, it is legal but that shouldn't stop you from selling. You just need to mention it when you advertise- this property is subject to ROFR. Those looking to purchase at that property will be familiar with the implications. What view do you own? If Island view the $7500 isn't that bad of an offer. If you own Ocean view or Ocean front you probably want to find a broker that speciallizes in Vistana (formally Starwood) Hawaiian properties.

Tracey S.
Oct 04, 2016

I HAVE WEEK 51 OCEAN VIEW 1/1

Sheri S.
Oct 05, 2016

I would contact a broker that specializes in Starwood. Two good ones are Syed Sarmad and Judi Kozlowski. They can give you their opinions based on recent sales at that resort and let you know what they suggest you list for and how much commission they would charge on the sale. You can then decide if you want to list with one, list yourself on Redweek or take the buy back offer.

Tracey S.
Oct 05, 2016

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

Sheri S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.