Point Systems

Marriott Vacation Club Points

Jun 01, 2020

I have 500 Marriott Vacation Club points for 2020 that I cannot use. How do I go about selling these to someone who can use them? Thanks for the help!

Bradd E.
Jun 01, 2020

If you would like to rent out points you are not able to use, then you can book a week at a desirable resort and post it for rent. You can view your posting options and pricing on this page: Rent My Timeshare

If you have further questions, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Last edited by phyl21 on Jun 01, 2020 10:25 PM

Jun 02, 2020

If you log in to www.tug2.com (free) you can post your question on the Marriott forum. I believe there are 2 websites that are conduits for renting points. It is a one time transaction, so you can rent all or part of what you have available.

John I.
Jan 04, 2021

I believe his original question was about selling points. I also have the same question as the maintenance fees for Club/Destination Points are exorbitant. Marriott told me we could deed the points back, basically walk away from them to get out of the annual maintenance fees. No wonder Marriott went from selling Timeshares to selling points!

Kim
Mar 12, 2021

Thinking of buying 3500 points. Can anyone tell me what fees I would be looking at on top of the sale price? Brokerage, deed transfer, and I heard Marriott will charge me on top of this? I want to go into this with my eyes wide open. Would I have access to all properties 12 months a year? Any info is appreciated.

Paul Z.
Mar 12, 2021

Answers:

1. Maintenance fees were billed at $0.604 per point for 2021 (3,500 x $0.604 = $2,114 per year). You will also pay a membership fee of about $200 per year depending on your ownership level.

2. Closing costs - about $1,000

3. Reservation access is year round - points expended per reservation vary by property and season.

Other considerations:

1. Consider the cost of 3,500 points - approx $42,000 (3,500 x $12.00 per pt) upfront cost and $2,200 in annual maintenance fees. You may borrow to buy this at 13.99% on a 10 year note.

2. Consider what you can do with 3,500 points per year. For example a prime 2 bdrm summer week at Newport Coast would use 4,700 points. A prime 2 bdrm summer week in Branson would use 2,400 points. Just be aware that your 3,500 points will not provide much vacation.

3. Consider renting what you want each year - the aforementioned Newport Coast week could be rented for about $2,600 per week - no other cost to you.

4. Consider buying a prime week or two - Example - buy a Newport Coast, platinum week for less than $8,000 per week with annual maintenance fees of less than $1,500. These are the same weeks you would acquire with points - you can use, rent out for about $2,600, or deposit for exchange through Interval.

Final comment - Your initial $42,000 will disappear with no residual value once you buy. All you will have left is points (a fictional currency good only for point reservations) and you get to pay maintenance fees.

Now, good luck in making an informed decision.

I hope this helps.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Mar 12, 2021 08:45 AM

Mar 27, 2021

I am 500 Marriott Club Points short for a reservation in 2022. Is it possible to make a one time buy/transfer of 500 points?

Pat S.
Apr 12, 2021

I have a week which I secured for later this year with my Marriott destination points which I can not use. Am I allowed to post that week for sale here on Redweek?

Mark A.
Apr 12, 2021

Mark: Yes, you can post your week for rent. You will can get started here: Rent My Timeshare

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Apr 13, 2021

which week

Leanne F.
Jul 22, 2021

Hello, I am considering to buy a resale timeshare. Once Ibuy a resale for example for $5,000 and pay maintenance fees, can I convert my week into points to use them to book anything I want through Marriott vacations? Is there a cost to transfer? I do not want to be locked into a particular week. Thank you. Zuzana

Zuzana G.
Jul 24, 2021

I spoke to MVC and they said resale deeded units do not convert o points. You can trade into Interval.

Allison P.
Jul 25, 2021

Resale weeks are not eligible to exchange for Vacation Club Points (VCP's). A resale week may have been eligible to exchange for VCP's before the resale but looses this option upon resale. The new program since 2010 is a points based program but owned weeks remain unchanged. Resale owned weeks (termed not enrolled) can be used, rented, or exchanged through Interval.

Is buying a resale week so bad? Absolutely not! However, I suggest if you buy a resale week, just buy one you will enjoy using and/or is in a high demand season at a high demand resort. Under this scenario, you can use the week or rent it easily for cash. Cash is a universal currency and can even be used more places than points.

We own weeks (enrolled and not enrolled) plus VCP's. We learned how to use them to our benefit. By the way, our 3 most recent purchases have all been resale weeks - not enrolled in the points program. We are frequent users of Marriott Timeshares for family events.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jul 25, 2021 07:10 PM

Feb 02, 2022

Hello, I too am a Legacy owner (3 bedroom lock-off Orlando area) but want to purchase 'resale' week at a particular Marriott resort. I'm happy to just come back to the possible 'resale' week resort (as I enjoy it here) but know I can use ii for trading. The questions are: did you buy at a Marriott (resale) that had low maintenance fees and use ii to get the Marriott resort where you wanted to vacation? Do you recommend buying a premium week vs. a lower-valued week? A few years back I was working directly with Marriott in purchasing a week, and he recommended looking for a property that had low maintenance fees. Also, do you have a resale agency you prefer to use? Sounds like one really needs a reputable agency that is familiar with all the hidden details of buying a Marriott resale. Thank you in advance.

In addition: THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who posts about NOT buying points with Marriott; or at the very least opening our eyes to all the problems and hidden costs with purchasing resale points. If someone understands all the minutia involved with resale points, it still seems like a better price per point

Lisa T.

Lisa T.
Feb 21, 2022

Hi Lisa, My husband Bob and I own a Legacy, Platinum, High Season Ski week at Marriott's Summit Watch, in Park City, UT. It is a 2BR Villa lock-off. Simply stated, you have the ability to lock-off the 2BR Villa and have two weeks of personal usage or rental every year. Platinum ski weeks command high rental value. They also have strong leverage to trade into worldwide resorts. For example, we used the lock-off option and were able to take a two week vacation to Hawaii (Marriott's Maui Ocean Club and Ko Olina Beach Club).

This is a rare property because Marriott is no longer selling Legacy TimeShares, rather they are selling very expensive point-based properties. For example, our Legacy TS if converted to points would have a value of roughly $53,100. Unfortunately these points come with challenges. Marriott places high point values on popular weeks such as ski weeks, holiday weeks and popular vacation destinations. They try telling you points add flexibility to your travel plans. What they don't tell you is the constant added expense to buy more expensive points to support your travel needs and how difficult it is to book point based vacations!

In the interest of trying to preserve an affordable, 1-2 week annual Legacy vacation program, which can be used worldwide without paying for endless expensive points, we will be listing our TS for sale in the near future.

In the meantime, I can provide more information and answer any questions you may have.

Warm regards, Donna H. email: dlh1426@gmail.com

Robert H.
Mar 29, 2022

I bought 1000 points last week at a presentation. I currently own a resale at Beachplace Towers in Ft. Laurdale. The reason i bought was to sell my legacy week and get out of paying $1,800 a year in maintenances fees..(Now$600)..They explain to me there are many trips you can book 60 days or less a 1000 will cover most nice places IF they are available. Or I can elect a Sun-Thurs stays at 1/4 the price for a full week. Will my 1000 points get me very far.

Robert D.
Mar 29, 2022

bobd506 wrote:
I bought 1000 points last week at a presentation. I currently own a resale at Beachplace Towers in Ft. Laurdale. The reason i bought was to sell my legacy week and get out of paying $1,800 a year in maintenances fees.

If you bought something at a presentation and are unsure of whether or not you made a good buy, the general course of wisdom is to rescind. You can always make this purchase later (regardless of what the sales people told you of this being available for "today only") but you only have one chance to rescind.

Also, if you want to sell your Legacy week, you don't have to buy the 1000 points to do so. You can sell what you currently own regardless of what else you own or do not own.

Lance C.
Apr 10, 2022

We have owned points since the 2010 start and own weeks acquired before and after that date. We are Chairman's level.

If, I were you, I would have rescinded. Then, I would buy great resale weeks in great locations and seasons that you would want to use (select top high demand resorts). With owned weeks, you can use, trade through Interval, or rent out for cash.

Why? In use buying resale weeks is about 20 to 25% of the cost of buying enough points to get the same value in use for vacations. An example follows:

Option 1: Buy 4,200 Destination Points at $13.52 (current $15.92 less 15%) for $56,800. I suggest 4,200 points as this what you need to get an OceanWatch (Myrtle Beach) villa, Platinum Season, Ocean-side week in late June for points. So, spend about $57,000 for enough points to get 1 great week.

Option 2: Spend $57,000 to Buy "5" OceanWatch resale weeks for the same $57,000. You can easily rent these out for cash and rent other timeshare locations as an alternative to using points. You can also exchange these through Interval. The example uses OceanWatch, but you could buy different resorts and ease your way in by buying 1 at a time.

Another thought or two, it is not easy to get high demand reservations using points. There are too many points chasing too few great season weeks. Maintenance fees are lower for owned weeks. And, you can sell owned weeks later and get all or most of your money back. Points are nearly worthless in the resale market - you suffer an immediate loss in market value.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Apr 10, 2022 05:50 AM

Jun 01, 2022

I have a friend who has several thousand Marriott points that expire at the end of this year. They are roll over so cannot be sold to anyone. Is there a way she can place one ad that is for all the Marriott properties or should she choose one and make the ad for that property only. I have only rented out my weeks I own at the Grande Vista with Redweek so I'm not sure how she would rent when her points can be used at any Marriott. Thank you

Caroline L.
Jun 02, 2022

Your friend would reserve a week with her points at a desirable resort and then post that week for rent. You can find a list of the top 25 resorts with the most rentals and inquiries on this page: Top 25 Resorts

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.