Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has Anyone Rented their Condo using Redweek.com

Oct 14, 2008

I am looking at renting a timeshare through this service? Does this web site work?

Donna

Donna C.
Oct 15, 2008

donnac369 wrote:
I am looking at renting a timeshare through this service? Does this web site work? Donna

Renting through RedWeek is not a "service", per se. All of the rental listings on RedWeek are simply ads placed by RedWeek members. RedWeek has nothing whatsoever to do with any subsequent rental transaction. However, the mere fact that only pre-identified, paying RedWeek members can list (or even see) RedWeek rental listings helps to drastically reduce the number of scam artists.

Be sure to demand and execute a formal rental agreement. Be sure that payment and cancellation policies are clearly and specifically addressed therein -- and make VERY certain that the person from whom you are renting actually OWNS the week (i.e., is not just someone trying to improperly rent out a week which they don't even own, but have instead acquired through a RCI or II "deposit / exchange". Any and all such "exchange rentals" are clearly prohibited by both RCI and II). Ask the would-be "landlord" to clearly identify themselves to you by name and address and have them also identify the specific unit and week which they own and are offering for rent. Just one phone call made directly to the resort to confirm those facts will promptly verify to you their ownership. (Don't call the resort FIRST for an owner identification, however, since for obvious privacy reasons a resort will TELL you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, but they WILL confirm the accuracy of information which you have already obtained on your own and are calling just to verify). In my personal opinion, RedWeek and MyResortNetwork are the two best and most effective sites for rentals, by far, for either a "landlord" or a "renter".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 15, 2008 10:26 AM

Oct 15, 2008

donnac369 wrote:
I am looking at renting a timeshare through this service? Does this web site work? Donna

Also, in this bad economy I would price a rental accordingly depending on the season you own, the resort and supply and demand .... tourism and travel are down due to the economy.

R P.
Oct 19, 2008

We have been using redweek to rent our Wyndham resorts for about 5 years and have rented out around 20. We absolutely love redweek. They simply get more hits than any other website of this type, and because it requires an annual fee to be a part of the redweeek family you get people who really use renting condos as their way of vacationing looking up whats available. Essentially, the hits on redweek are all potential clients.It really is the way to go for those who cannot use their time shares in a year or just want to pay down on their overall maintenance if they have alot of time shares and want to rent out. It also is the way to go for people looking to schedule a vacation and want condo living to get something a whole lot better than a hotel room.

Frank L.
Oct 24, 2008

I have rented my timeshare nthru Redwwek and also thru MyResortnetwork.com so try them

Barbara C.
Oct 27, 2008

I'm new at this and discovering there is a lot to learn. Are you saying that I can only rent or exchange units that I have reserved at my home resort, which is a Marriott? I can't do anything if I have deposited with Interval?

MaryEllen T.
Oct 27, 2008

maryellent5 wrote:
I'm new at this and discovering there is a lot to learn. Are you saying that I can only rent or exchange units that I have reserved at my home resort, which is a Marriott? I can't do anything if I have deposited with Interval?
Correct. Once you deposit your unit with II, it is no longer under your control. You are also not allowed to rent out a unit obtained in an exchange with II (same goes for RCI).

Mike N.
Oct 28, 2008

This is my first time renting out my unit. How do I put the unit in their name?

Lori S.
Oct 28, 2008

I just talked to a rep at II and was told that for $39 the name on the reservation can be changed. So what would stop me from renting out that unit?

MaryEllen T.
Oct 28, 2008

maryellent5 states: >> I just talked to a rep at II and was told that for $39 the name on the reservation can be changed. So what would stop me from renting out that unit?<< =============================================

Well, one thing that MIGHT stop you from renting out an exchange (in clear and obvious violation of exchange company terms of service) is the knowledge that, if discovered later as a clearly prohibited rental of an exchange, your "renter" could be turned away at check-in and left with no place to stay (and maybe later also file a lawsuit against you for incurred financial losses and other associated hardships). Additionally, your exchange company membership could be cancelled outright. Is any of that a risk which you are really willing to take?

What the II rep told you is correct, BUT --- what that rep told you also assumed that NO other "money for profit" would be involved while obtaining a guest certificate for someone else to use your exchange. What the rep told you applies ONLY to GIVING (i.e., for FREE) the week to a friend, family member, relative, etc. It does NOT apply to RENTING OUT an exchange for your personal profit, a practice clearly and specifically prohibited by the written terms and conditions of exchange company membership (equally true for both RCI and Interval International, by the way).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 29, 2008 03:59 AM

Oct 29, 2008

The rep also told me that if a friend wants to reimburse me for the maintenance fee, that's between us and of no concern of theirs. I wouldn't call that a personal profit but a break even which is all I'm looking for if I do rent the unit out.

MaryEllen T.
Oct 29, 2008

maryellent5 wrote:
The rep also told me that if a friend wants to reimburse me for the maintenance fee, that's between us and of no concern of theirs. I wouldn't call that a personal profit but a break even which is all I'm looking for if I do rent the unit out.

With due respect, I seriously doubt that's what the rep actually said at all if you were talking about an "exchange" (i.e., not about a unit / week which you personally own). Otherwise, that rep statement is just completely contrary to WRITTEN company and membership rules and terms of service. If he / she DID say that, it is simply incorrect. I'm pretty sure that you likley just misunderstood that the "reimbursement" reference was almost certainly ONLY to the $39 guest certificate fee --- not to a (multi-hundred dollar) "maintenance fee" as you've indicated.

It's none of my business, but YOU asked the question initially --- and I answered it accurately and correctly. You can easily confirm my facts for yourself in the terms of service and membership rules found printed in RCI and/or II member materials (maybe even in the directories ---not sure about that). I was (and I still am) merely letting you know that you absolutely CANNOT rent out a week obtained via exchange --- period, amen. There are potentiallly serious legal and financial consequences if you get caught doing so, but if that's a risk you're willing to take and you subsequently get caught, please don't claim here later that you weren't clearly forewarned...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 29, 2008 03:52 PM

Oct 29, 2008

Maybe we aren't on the same page. I have a week at Marriott that I deposited with Interval. That's the week that I want to "rent out" to cover the maintenance fee. And yes, the rep was aware of trying to recover the maintenance fee vs. the guest certificate fee. I searched the II web site to try to find anything about this and couldn't find a thing. The rep just kept telling me that they were not involved in that. I could get a guest certificate up to two weeks prior to the reservation date.

MaryEllen T.
Oct 29, 2008

maryellent5 states in part: >> Maybe we aren't on the same page. I have a week at Marriott that I deposited with Interval. That's the week that I want to "rent out" to cover the maintenance fee. << ================================================

Now I'm REALLY baffled by your portrayal....

Once you "deposit" a week you own to an exchange company (...ANY exchange company), you immediately relinquish all custody (and all control) of that particular week directly to that exchange company. In other words, immediately upon deposit the now-deposited week becomes no longer available for your use, nor do you at that point have any option to rent out that (now-deposited) week --- period, amen. Plain and simple. All you can actually do with a deposited week is to request some other week (which was deposited by someone else) in exchange. If / when subsequently obtained, that "exchange" week (which you don't actually own, but have instead acquired for one-time personal use via the "exchange" program) CANNOT be subsequently rented out by you to ANYONE else --- at ANY price. The relatively new RedWeek exchange system is entirely different, but we're not discussing the RedWeek exchange program here --- you've clearly stated previously that you have already "deposited with Interval".

The II and RCI exchange company procedures, written rules and terms of service (found in your membership materials, but not necessarily posted on their public web sites) are pretty straightforward, except for some mysterious "trading power" issues unique to RCI. Those rules, procedures and terms of service have been firmly in place for decades now, essentially unchanged (...although the exchange fees have certainly increased over the years). I'm genuinely puzzled --- are you somehow of the belief that you can deposit a week you own with an exchange company, and yet then still try to rent it out on your own? If that is your belief, please be assured that you are entirely mistaken. Once deposited, that particular now-deposited week is immediately, absolutely and completely GONE from your access or control; there is NOTHING else you can do with that week once it has been deposited with (and completely relinquished to) ANY exchange company.

One of us is truly missing something here; with all due respect, I don't think it's me. Not only are we "not on the same page", we're not even reading the same book!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 30, 2008 06:22 AM

Oct 30, 2008

how do you advertise more than one week if one has many weeks available? Thank y0u

Fran B.
Oct 30, 2008

When you post you listing you indicate a Start Date and a an End Date, so if you have a floating week where you can book any week of the year you indicate a start date in Jan and an end date in Dec.

If your weeks are NOT consecutive, you will have to indicate consecutive weeks and note the actual weeks available in your ad.

Mike N.
Oct 31, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
maryellent5 states in part: >> Maybe we aren't on the same page. I have a week at Marriott that I deposited with Interval. That's the week that I want to "rent out" to cover the maintenance fee. << ================================================

Now I'm REALLY baffled by your portrayal....

Once you "deposit" a week you own to an exchange company (...ANY exchange company), you immediately relinquish all custody (and all control) of that particular week directly to that exchange company. In other words, immediately upon deposit the now-deposited week becomes no longer available for your use, nor do you at that point have any option to rent out that (now-deposited) week --- period, amen. Plain and simple. All you can actually do with a deposited week is to request some other week (which was deposited by someone else) in exchange. If / when subsequently obtained, that "exchange" week (which you don't actually own, but have instead acquired for one-time personal use via the "exchange" program) CANNOT be subsequently rented out by you to ANYONE else --- at ANY price. The relatively new RedWeek exchange system is entirely different, but we're not discussing the RedWeek exchange program here --- you've clearly stated previously that you have already "deposited with Interval".

The II and RCI exchange company procedures, written rules and terms of service (found in your membership materials, but not necessarily posted on their public web sites) are pretty straightforward, except for some mysterious "trading power" issues unique to RCI. Those rules, procedures and terms of service have been firmly in place for decades now, essentially unchanged (...although the exchange fees have certainly increased over the years). I'm genuinely puzzled --- are you somehow of the belief that you can deposit a week you own with an exchange company, and yet then still try to rent it out on your own? If that is your belief, please be assured that you are entirely mistaken. Once deposited, that particular now-deposited week is immediately, absolutely and completely GONE from your access or control; there is NOTHING else you can do with that week once it has been deposited with (and completely relinquished to) ANY exchange company.

One of us is truly missing something here; with all due respect, I don't think it's me. Not only are we "not on the same page", we're not even reading the same book!

Are you saying that once I book my week with Marriott, I can go directly to RedWeek to rent or exchange with no "consequences"?

MaryEllen T.
Oct 31, 2008

Yes, After you reserve your Marriott week, you can use it, rent it, give it away, or deposit with with any exchange company. What you can't do it get an week via exchange from II or RCI and rent it to someone else (even if the week is at your home resort).

Some people will advertise a floating week that has not yet been reserved. It is OK to do this, but you run the risk of someone asking for a week that is no longer available. I usually reserve a high demand week and advertise that specific week, but state that other weeks can be rented "based on availability".

Mike N.
Oct 31, 2008

maryellent5 asks: >>Are you saying that once I book my week with Marriott, I can go directly to RedWeek to rent or exchange with no "consequences"?<< ============================================

Mike1536 has already responded with correct and helpful information. You clearly stated previously that you had "deposited with Interval". Accordingly, the info which I provided to you took into account the stated fact that you had already "deposited with Interval".

Renting out your own week (*PRIOR TO* depositing with Interval, or any other exchange company) is a completely and entirely different scenario altogether. You can certainly and always rent out your owned week as you see fit, at any price which you can command --- whether it's a Marriott week or any other timeshare week that you own. BUT...(and this is a very important BUT....) once your owned / reserved week is subsequently deposited with ANY exchange company, it's immediately GONE from your access or control (see all previous applicable info already spelled out in great detail). If you had any plans or intentions to rent out your reserved week, then you likely by now realize that you should never have deposited that week with Interval in the first place. That "deposited" week (...for that one particular already-deposited year, anyhow) is now no longer yours to use, rent out, or do anything else at all with except to try to get an "exchange" week from Interval in return (...an exchange week which you CANNOT then rent out at ANY price).

It's evident that you deposited your Marriott week with Interval *before* you realized that immediately upon depositing the week with II, you also immediately eliminated ANY option to rent out that reserved week.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 01, 2008 05:22 AM

Nov 07, 2008

something you may want to try if you're having problems renting out a timeshare or maybe even attempting to sell, is find the local newspaper online in that area. we got online to Pacific Pearl in Mazatlan and there are classified ads listed. we then contacted one of the folks who had other timeshare rentals and he worked with us to rent ours. he had quite a few contacts and it cost us nothing!!!! just another idea. most mexican cities have an american newspaper. moorez

Capri M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.