Solmar Resort

Attn: Grand Solmar Building E penthouse owners!!!

Nov 23, 2009

Janec - I assume you're addressing me. If you read my posts, you'd note that I said that I certainly understand how the others feel. Also, please note that I used to own a hotel unit right on the sand. It is being torn down -- nothing I could do about it. That's how I got one of the two units at Grand Solmar. I didn't buy into the new building -- I got the unit by default because they had to replace the one being torn down. So, I **DO** know how it feels!

The other unit was one that I traded from Playa Grande. We stupidly traded one of our lower units for one up in the Ridge. The street noise was overwhelming for me since I'm a very light sleeper. So, I traded that unit for another one at Grand Solmar the same week as the one I was given in exchange for my hotel unit that was being torn out.

Yes, I liked the old hotel unit on the sand far better. Yes, I liked the old view far better. Yes, I understand what it is like to have your ocean view unit taken away. Yes, I feel for everyone else in the same boat as me, and those who own the units that aren't being torn down. Yes, I feel for those who own at Terrasol as well.

So that's how I feel... crystal clear?!?

Donna W.
Dec 10, 2009

to donnaw85 - i'm dying to know what your trip reveals about the changes at Solmar. Most recent reviews and ratings for Solmar Resort in Cabo San Lucas. Please tell!

And get this, Solmar is now advertising on Expedia!! And look at the latest review - you'd better be sitting down people. 11 stories??? omg. Here's the review: "All reviews displayed are submitted by customers who stayed at this hotel. A traveler from Great Falls, MT does not recommend this hotel. Posted: 18-Nov-09 - "Not happy with big changes" This was our second visit. We went back because we enjoyed the privacy and quietness of the resort. The decision was made to make it a 6 star resort and construction was going on around us the whole time we were there. The resort is going from a 2 story to 11 stories! I understand making improvements but this wonderful get away that we looked forward to is and no longer going to be wonderful. It will probably cost more to stay in the new improved 11 stories resort as well. We are truly disappointed. The wonderful quality of the restaurant we had 2 years ago is gone as well. This biggest pain was the time share breakfast! We felt like we were being played with. It would start at a high price then go lower then lower then lower again. Why not just ask a person what they can afford and start there. Then we weren’t given time to even think about it. Hello can you say recession? Give people a chance to review their finances. We are all well to do. It took us 2 years to save up for the vacation. All in all, we were satisfied with the hotel but that was about it."

11 stories?!? i'll say it again, omg.

so, donnaw85 PLEASE let us know what you know asap. thanks!

Lois M.
Dec 13, 2009

Hi Lois,

I didn't stay at Solmar during my trip - I stayed at Playa Grande. My hotel unit was traded, so I no longer have a unit at Solmar (until the new buildings are completed). There are a lot of people who are VERY VERY unhappy with the changes. Some have adjusted to the idea of the new resort, and some are still heartbroken over it. Everyone's feelings and opinions are valid - there is no right or wrong way to feel.

If I had stayed at Solmar during my trip, it would have been depressing to look out at the construction going on and no doubt I would have been nostalgic for the older units that were torn out and the quiet ambience of the resort. It is a shame, it really is, but the Bulnes family decided to make the change and we cannot do anything about it. I really did go through the stages of "grieving" for my old Solmar hotel unit before finally coming to accept the new one that is being built. I'm trying to make the best of the situation given that my hotel unit went to "hotel unit heaven". :)

Building E (where my two new units are located) wasn't built up enough to even take photos of it, but Buildings G, H & I are pretty far along. If my unit were in building I, I'd have some serious concerns about the proximity to the waves/ocean. They practically came right up to the building! Also, the corners of building's G & H are really, REALLY close together. People with units in the left-hand corner of Building H are going to either be looking at a row of balconies in Building G, or perhaps the back of building G (depending upon which side of building G the balconies are built). Also, if you're on the right-hand side of Buidling H and have a wrap-around balcony, part of your balcony will be looking directly at the side of Building I. Makes me happy my units are in Building E, but who knows what I'll discover about that building once it goes up. No doubt there will be issues there as well. Sigh....

For what it's worth, here's a link to the pix I took of the ongoing construction:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=swissyrescue&target=ALBUM&id=5414559180423704081&authkey=Gv1sRgCOqwqJ7I9LO3Zg&feat=email

Donna W.
Aug 09, 2010

clarer11 wrote:
anyone have any pictures of the renovation? we are in the K unit on the end any view obstruction? thanks much, Clare

Clare did you find out about obstruction to views from building K? We also have an end unit that was right above the old lobby.

Eleanor W.
Aug 10, 2010

I was there in March and lived with 24/7 construction noise and dust. All views to the left, towards the "big rock" and Arches, are gone. Grand Solmar has blocked them. Only view is towards Playa Grande and Terra Sol - not the penthouse view I bought but nobody cares. They'll be ruining the rest of our views soon by building more huge buildings on what few beach front units were left. And, our wonderful BBQ area is now a bar/restaurant. Was "spoken to" when I brought a beverage from my room to the pool instead of buying something from Solmar(!). And now, to make matters worse, in my mail yesterday I get the newsletter announcing that they've refurnished the Playa Grande units!!! Are you kidding me?!? My Solmar unit's furniture is so old and they're replacing Playa Grande's already? Very upsetting. They've ruined a great place.

Lois M.
Aug 10, 2010

How big is the bar/restaurant where BBQ was? Does this mean no more personal use of a BBQ? Did the create another area? I own in C bldg. & J bldg. Both close to the BBQ area, it use to get used quite a bit and was a nice area for friends to gather & share. I own week 50 & 51 and always wonder if this will be my last trip. I am sure resale is not good for any of the original time shares. Have they rebuiilt the Pallpa bar? What exactly is still there?

You are right about the furniture I think mine is the same since 1998 when we bought. They must not care if we are happy or not I wonder what the future holds for these units.

My first trip was 1980 & it was paradise.

Patsy D.
Aug 10, 2010

They were just taking over the BBQ area when I left, so not sure how big they made it as a bar/restaurant. I've been going for over 15 years and also had many a great BBQ/get togethers there. I'll miss that. And I know of no BBQ replacement either. Only buildings left are A thru E at the lower pool and the taller buildings F, G, I, J, K. All beach fronts are gone. And the beautiful lobby, lobby pool, palapa bar Trebol, and tennis courts are all gone. Restaurant La Roca is now in the area once considered the original sales area/owner's area by the jacuzzi. And what gets me even more upset is that us long-time Solmar owner's will not have access to Grand Solmar's pools or other amenities unless we buy at Grand Solmar. Just ain't right since they took so much away from us. Plan is to rebuild all of Solmar eventually but who knows how that will work out and when.

Lois M.
Aug 11, 2010

Where do you check in? What about the little store? etc.?

I have already booked my trip I hope things are not too dissapointing, I am taking daughter & granddaughter, thank goodness they have seen the "real" solmar that we bought. People would wonder what we were thinking as it sounds today.

thanks for the update.

Patsy D.
Aug 27, 2010

Just got off the phone with member services (310-459-7276) and they said that the original Solmar will be definitely separated from the new Grand Solmar. That we will not be able to use their facilities. Not sure how they are going to do this since the beach is open (or maybe it won't be). Also I asked why the Playa Grande units were renovated when Solmar's are much older and needing attention. She said "I don't know - maybe call the sales office and ask them". It truly appears as of right now that we really do not matter to them unless we decide to "buy/upgrade into the Grand Solmar." I hope somebody takes it upon themselves to address these issues legally.

Jane C.
Aug 27, 2010

I think anyone reading thru this blog will realize that the pattern of lying and desecration of the landscape will continue and that no "promises" will be kept. There are advantages to the corporate ownership to cram as many units into this area as possible, to keep building and pushing for more "upgrade" steps to get to the front of the line for the diminishing views and use. They know they control the game in Cabo and no governmental agency or local court will take the side of some timeshare owners against the Mexican fat cats and we should realize that too.

Mary L R.
Aug 28, 2010

you're right, no one cares. and don't bother with the sales office, they were very rude to me when i was asking them questions. they basically told me to quit complaining and never come back cuz i had a bad attitude. I HAVE A BAD ATTITUDE?!? i was just asking simple questions and getting no answers. mr bulnes told me personally that he would never change solmar, it was too dear to his heart. he has since retired but knows what's going on since his family is running the business. guess money is more dearer to his/their hearts now. shame on the bulnes family.

Lois M.
Sep 19, 2010

We were there in April and the BBQ area was back. They used it for the restaurant while they wer setting up the new restaurant located in the old timeshare sales room. I read somewhere (but I can't find the linright now) that Solmar is now closed for two months while they knock down the remaining hotel rooms. The Palalpa bar is gone. The old Solmar lobby will be where the gym is now - at least temporarily.

William Y.
Oct 10, 2010

Hi, Have you heard any word as to when the SPECIFIC ACTUAL OPENING DATE of Grand Solmar will be? We have a second story unit in Bldg. I for the weeks from February 26th through March 11.

I read somewhere on one of the web hotel booking sites (yes! they are booking rooms to the public at half price!) that the official opening day IS in fact ON the 26th then...they say that they'll have a guarantee policy that if the hotel isn't complete that they will put you up at Playa Grande for free or close to it!

I'm very concerned about our arrival date, it's availability, whether we will have a completed unit and whether or not it will be overbooked. Does anyone have an informed, honest (LOL) contact person down there that can answer my questions BEFORE I get the runaround from the Land Sharks!

Susan B.
Oct 11, 2010

I'll be at Playa Grande at the end of November and I plan to take more pix of Grand Solmar. I'll also find out what the expected completion date is. The last I heard, it was April 2011.

There are also a bunch of folks from TripAdvisor who will be there in early Nov. for the fishing tournament. Many of them are also staying at Playa Grande, but own units at Solmar, so I'm sure they'll report back as well.

Seems to me that the answer you get will depend upon whom you ask -- as with all things sales related at P.G.!

Donna W.
Feb 04, 2011

Donna

I am planning on stayin gat the Grand Solmar April 16 - 23. What is the real story there, is the pool open. How dissappointed am I going to be. Should I stay somewhere else?

Joe

Joe D.
Feb 04, 2011

HI! We still intend to be staying in Grand Solmar from Feb. 26th through March 12 and are wondering what's going on! We will be staying in unit I-9202. We called last week to reconfirm and were told we could either have a unit at Playa Grande for $600+ ADDITIONAL per week due to the fact that there will be "some construction still going on" at Grand Solmar OR...we could STAY in our unit in the new Grande Solmar for no extra charge. (No brainer, right?)

We were guaranteed that there would be no problem with the completion of our unit. So here we are, as confused as you all are with our departure date rapidly approaching. Maybe there's safety in numbers and we should combine forces to see what the real deal is!

Is there anyone out there that has actually been in or stayed at the new G. Solmar within the last few weeks or can direct us as to WHO to SPECIFICALLY talk to (or who definitely NOT to talk to) once there should there be problems upon arrival. Desperate to know the most recent scoop. HELP!

Susan B.

Last edited by susanw517 on Feb 04, 2011 11:33 PM

Feb 05, 2011

I was there in November (and have seen addt'l photos taken since then). Building I is the most complete building; I can't imagine that it's not already completed since we toured it (and Building H) back in November. Stay in your unit... I doubt the construction will bother you.

Joe - I'm sure all of the units in Building H and I will be completed. Perhaps even Building G will be as well. The only building that probably will not be done is Building E. I have no idea if the pools or restaurant will be completed. Might want to check on the solmarowners.com or playagrandeowners.com or tripadvisor.com (Cabo forum) to get the scoop from people who are either currently there, or have recently left P.G. or Solmar.

My unit in Building E is supposed to be done by the time I get there in late May. Solmar reservations confirmed my use of the unit. Even I'm a little nervous since Building E is the least complete of all of the buildings. Guess we'll see...

Donna W.
Jun 23, 2012

Due to your posting, I also called Jason and he came through for us too.

Suzanne M.
Jun 25, 2012

Wow, this was a really old thread!

Anywho... to anyone reading this thread, if you're considering purchasing a unit at Playa Grande, Grand Solmar, or the original Solmar, be aware that the Bulnes kids have screwed over the owners yet again!!

If you ever decide to sell your unit, you're totally hosed. They've just raised the Resort Transfer Fee yet again! Now, when you sell your unit, you will have to pay 10% of the original sales price of the unit (not what you paid for it, but the original sales price!!!) in the form of a Resort Transfer Fee. If you give your unit to a Broker to sell, the Broker must pay a 40% (yes, 40% !!!) Resort Transfer Fee.

Let's do the math for a unit you bought on the resale market (let's say a Playa Grande unit). You bought it off of eBay for $1,500 but its original sales price (brand new) was $20,000. Now, when you go to sell it to someone else, you'll have to pay a $2,000 Resort Transfer Fee ($500 more than you paid for it in the first place!!!).

Let's do the math for a brand new unit you bought at Grand Solmar. The 2-bedroom unit you bought was listed at $50,000 but you talked them down to $30,000. Ten years from now, you need to sell the unit. The Resort Transfer Fee you'll have to pay (assuming they don't raise it even higher between now and then) will be $5,000. That's right, $5,000 for them to just put the paperwork in someone else's name! And if you want a broker to sell it for you, then the Resort Transfer Fee balloons to a whopping $20,000 !!!

So, if you haven't yet purchased a unit from one of the properties owned by the Bulnes family, my advice is, DO NOT DO IT! It's too late for us current owners, but it's not too late for those of you who haven't bought. Save yourselves!

Donna W.
Nov 05, 2012

I think the message is that those of us who have encountered the scams and lies as the destruction of the old Solmar was being planned and carried out were wise to see the unethical rapacious behavior as the new pattern of management of this and the sister resort of Playa Grande and got the heck out of ownership there rather "trust" that promises or future treatment of owners would be any better after this episode. We declined all offers to upgrade or put us in another unit etc etc and got out. Sounds like our fears were justified. Sadly, the owners at sol mar were among the most simpatico and congenial folk who truly respected the Mexican people who worked at Solmar and the natural beauty of the landscape, having not come to Mexico for the flatscreen tvs, reflecting pools, etc.. nor to party. As I have mentioned earlier.. I invite those who loved old solmar to try Mirabella on the corridor to San Jose Del Cabo. We have now stayed there and it is the closest thing to the old Solmar we have found yet. Tell them the Simpsons told you about it...We told them about Solmar and hope they can keep their place as lovely as it is NOW. I can send photos to any who are interested. (It is not a timeshare)

Mary L R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.