Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Process Steps and Costs Related to Selling Timeshare

Nov 04, 2009

We own a biannual odd week at Grand Beach in Orlando that we would like to sell and the general process laid out on Redweek looks to be pretty straight-forward, but I am trying to understand what additional costs I should expect to incur (e.g., title company). In a perfect world we would net $2000-2500 - anything below that and I would probably just try to find a place to donate it for the tax deduction. The annual maintenance fees of $425 are not onerous, but we have gone the exchange route twice in 10 years.

What happens when (if?) I find a buyer? This seems like something that could get messed up easily if you did not follow the right steps. Also, comments related to my expected return are welcome and appreciated. Is this reasonable, or should I reset the outcome lower?

Tj K.
Nov 04, 2009

tjk8 wrote:
We own a biannual odd week at Grand Beach in Orlando that we would like to sell and the general process laid out on Redweek looks to be pretty straight-forward, but I am trying to understand what additional costs I should expect to incur (e.g., title company). In a perfect world we would net $2000-2500 - anything below that and I would probably just try to find a place to donate it for the tax deduction. The annual maintenance fees of $425 are not onerous, but we have gone the exchange route twice in 10 years.

What happens when (if?) I find a buyer? This seems like something that could get messed up easily if you did not follow the right steps. Also, comments related to my expected return are welcome and appreciated. Is this reasonable, or should I reset the outcome lower?

If you find a buyer then you go through a reputable closing company such www.timesharetransfer.com

The buyer normally pays the closing costs, but in this economy if you really want to get rid of it, you might offer to pay all closing costs.

In this economy it's a buyer's market, not a seller's market .... there are 1 cent to $1 timeshares on Ebay and some on the market are absolutely free.

BTW, what the asking price is has nothing whatsoever to do with whether it will sell or not.

R P.
Nov 04, 2009

And, unless you have a very desirable week at a very desirable resort (supply and demand) I doubt you can find any charity that will take the donation ... you have to remember that even if a charity were to take it, they are then responsible for yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments until/if it's sold.

R P.
Nov 04, 2009

jayjay wrote:
And, unless you have a very desirable week at a very desirable resort (supply and demand) I doubt you can find any charity that will take the donation ... you have to remember that even if a charity were to take it, they are then responsible for yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments until/if it's sold.

This is a floating week, but outside of a Disney or Marriott property I really cannot tell whether the Grand Beach Resort in Orlando is desirable. Given the number of timeshares on eBay for $1, are there properties that actually sell for anything close to the listing prices that I see on Redweek? I am willing to pay the $60 fee to list this for a year and have already planned to pay the 2010 MFs in January, but I am beginning to wonder whether it is even worth making that additional investment. It would be cheaper and easier in the long run to simply turn the TS over to the management company if it turns out that I there is no real resale market. Is that an option that people have explored?

Tj K.
Nov 04, 2009

tjk8 wrote:
It would be cheaper and easier in the long run to simply turn the TS over to the management company if it turns out that I there is no real resale market. Is that an option that people have explored?

Whether a facility will accept a "deedback" can't be known until you formally ask (preferably in writing). Most won't. The point is that it's an "option" ONLY if the resort is willing to accept a deedback. It's not your decision to make unilaterally, since you can never deed over to an unwilling recipient / grantee without their knowledge AND consent.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 04, 2009 04:48 PM

Nov 05, 2009

tjk8 wrote:
Given the number of timeshares on eBay for $1, are there properties that actually sell for anything close to the listing prices that I see on Redweek? I am willing to pay the $60 fee to list this for a year and have already planned to pay the 2010 MFs in January, but I am beginning to wonder whether it is even worth making that additional investment. It would be cheaper and easier in the long run to simply turn the TS over to the management company if it turns out that I there is no real resale market. Is that an option that people have explored?

The problem with Orlando is that it's overly saturated with timeshare resorts (more timeshare resorts per capita than anywhere else in the world) and there's thousands of timeshare weeks for sale in that area .... look at the ads (Orlando, Kissimmee, Clermont) just on Redweek alone.

To tell if a timeshare week has been sold, Redweek puts a sold sign next to it ... that should be a pretty good indication of what's selling and what's not.

As Ken mentioned the vast majority of resorts will not take deedbacks .... their bread and butter are maintenance fees from owners and in this market it's tough to sell any timeshare.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.