General Discussion

Timeshare Sell Scams

Jun 16, 2011

Does anyone know how these people scamming were caught ?

Cindy G.
Jun 17, 2011

cindyg274 wrote:
Does anyone know how these people scamming were caught ?

Likely from victims reporting these fraudsters to the Attorney-General. So keep those reports coming.

Lance C.
Jun 17, 2011

Does anyone have any knowledge of this company and it's authenticity.

Phillip H.
Jun 18, 2011

philliph37 wrote:

If they ask for a large upfront fee then they're a scam.

R P.
Jun 18, 2011

philliph37 wrote:

What is this company offering you? If you (or anyone else on these boards) haven't heard of this company, then it's probably a new name for an old company that has "reinvneted" itself.

Not too many outfits with the word "Corporation" legitimately deal with timeshares. A new twist on these scams is that a scam artist contacts a timeshare owner claiming to represent a large corporation that is supposedly buying blocks of timeshare intervals for one reason or another and you, among the millions of timeshare owners worldwide, just happen to be one of the very few owners who own just what this corporation wants to buy.

On top of that, the corporation is willing to pay you double what you paid the developer for it despite the fact that this corporation could easily find several units similar to yours for peanuts on E-bay (or even free from owners who just want to unburden themselves of their dog weeks).

Whatever the case, never ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out or market your timeshare.

Lance C.
Jun 18, 2011

Is the Online Better Business Bureau worth anything? If a company is registered with them, with a clean record - does that indicate any legitimacy? Tele Teton hangs their hat on that but everything else, smells scam.

Phillip H.
Jun 18, 2011

philliph37 wrote:
Is the Online Better Business Bureau worth anything? If a company is registered with them, with a clean record - does that indicate any legitimacy?

A clean record could simply that nobody has filed a complaint against that company yet --- at least not in that version.

A lot of these scam outfits pay their OBB (or BBB) membership fee and start with a "clean slate". When they get enough complaints filed against them and have their standing reduced to an "F", they just shut down, start up again under a new name, join the OBB/BBB again, and receive a fresh start with an "A" or "A+" rating.

By the way, you never mentioned what this company was offering or its terms of the offer.

Lance C.
Jun 19, 2011

lancec13 wrote:
philliph37 wrote:
Is the Online Better Business Bureau worth anything? If a company is registered with them, with a clean record - does that indicate any legitimacy?

A clean record could simply that nobody has filed a complaint against that company yet --- at least not in that version.

A lot of these scam outfits pay their OBB (or BBB) membership fee and start with a "clean slate". When they get enough complaints filed against them and have their standing reduced to an "F", they just shut down, start up again under a new name, join the OBB/BBB again, and receive a fresh start with an "A" or "A+" rating.

By the way, you never mentioned what this company was offering or its terms of the offer.

Phillip H.
Jun 23, 2011

what is considered a large upfront fee?

Jo S.
Jun 23, 2011

jos105 wrote:
what is considered a large upfront fee?

Anything from $100+ to $1000+ .... the only upfront fees that are legitimate are membership fees and listing fees like Redweek and other timeshare ad sites charge.

R P.
Jun 30, 2011

Does anyone out there know about a company called The Professional Advocate. They claim to go after companies who take your money to rent or sale your timeshare but never do anything for you . They charge $275 , but they say they make the companies that they are going after pay you back the fee so you are really out no money. i need to kno if anyone else has had any dealing with them are they legit. thanks

Jo S.
Jul 03, 2011

jos105 wrote:
i need to kno if anyone else has had any dealing with them are they legit. thanks

No, they're not. Doesn't that sound eerily similar to the line that originally scammed you? "Pay us a large, upfront fee and we will miraculously get you some unexpected money."

By the way, it costs you nothing to file a complaint with the Attorney-General.

Lance C.
Oct 25, 2011

I too was scammed buy Tete Teton Corp. This started 7/21/11 and I just got this info today that a lot of other pepole were scammed too. They even scammed the BBB ie Better Business Burearu by staying in good standings for their required time to get the accredited A rating on thier web site. Then they ran a 90 day scam to get people like us to fall for their fraud sales on our time share. In the begining of 10/11 their rating changed from A to no rating under review. Now as of today they are at F rating w/ 13 complaints against them keep them comming. Maybe the BBB will update their system so they don't get scammed any more. We should all get a class action suit going to get our money back. Also, if you have been scammed by this company you need to file a police report w/ the Lansing police dept. too. The more the marry. Good Luck to everyone. get back on the class action suit.

Stacy P.
Oct 26, 2011

I have a website that every timeshare owner should visit. It is wwwstopthescam.org. Go to the website and click on timeshares. Then scroll down. A few of the links that I was impressed with were " what to look for " , " getting out of a timeshare - MAYBE " and " should you buy a timeshare ". This website was built by retired man who got tired of seeing people getting ripped off. It's a must for all timeshare owners and everyone who wants to be informed. Please take a few minutes to visit the site.

Don P.
Dec 14, 2011

Count me in on the class action suit! I too was scammed, took all the precautionary steps, researched with the BBB, post-dated my check even-and I'm a REALTOR!!! They make me sick!

Teri B.
Dec 14, 2011

OMG!!! Here's another one that even tops being scammed by Tele Teton! Are you all ready for this??? I just received a call today on my cell from a company calling itself Trinity Financial Associates based in Wilmington, Delaware, informing me that our timeshare closing date is scheduled for February 21st, 2012! I played along on this one to get as much information as I could to report them to the Attorney General's office there. He was supposed to email me all the contract and closing documents via email today and needed them signed and returned by tomorrow at the latest. The kicker here is that he explained to me that, of course, I would be responsible to pay the tax/transfer taxes for this transaction and I needed to pay them prior to closing. HA! Sound familiar everyone??? Please don't believe anyone trying to get you with these 'too good to be true tactics' again! Has anyone else been contacted by this new company with a similar conversation?? Pls respond asap!

P.S. I never received those closing documents in my business email so I called him back and gave him another email account to send them to. Let's see what happens and I'll report again soon. Be safe out there!

Teri B.
Dec 14, 2011

Sorry all! His name is Randall Newman and called from 302-559-7479!

Teri B.
Dec 19, 2011

I was just contacted at the end of last week. I received closing docs today. Who do I go to report these guys? They gave me banking info for a wire transfer as well. I don't want this to happen to someone else. They wanted me to wire the doc transfer tax fee to the sum of 1187.00 and I had to have the docs notarized and faxed back to them within 72 hours or we would have problems with the sale. My closing date was also going to be the 21st of February.

Lets take these guys down!!

Slade H.
Dec 20, 2011

sladeh wrote:
They wanted me to wire the doc transfer tax fee to the sum of 1187.00 and I had to have the docs notarized and faxed back to them within 72 hours or we would have problems with the sale.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is no sale. If this "sale" were legitimate, all the fees including the commission, transfer tax fee, etc. would come out of the proceeds of the sale.

Besides, the fact that they are asking you to wire money is a huge red flag. Do not send them a penny!

Lance C.
Dec 20, 2011

That's what I figured and kept bringing up to him about it coming out of the closing. Thank you for reassuring me. Had a funny feeling about this one. He just called me again. Where do I go to report this? Does anyone have experience reporting this type of thing?

Slade H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.