Point Systems

Timeshare Points vs. Weeks

Sep 16, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
Types of ownership summary:

1. Own Fixed unit and week. Can use same unit (or same size) at same resort every year. Some must be used during contracted week; others "float" and can be reserved in your "season" or any lower use "season" but not in a higher "season". If your resort is part of a group, you may be able to make an "internal exchange" within that group for a relatively low fee or none. Resorts usually have a connection with one or more exchange companies. If you are a member, you can exchange your week for a week somewhere else via RCI Weeks, II, etc. External exchanges should be requested as far ahead as possible if you want fairly specific dates or locations. The more popular the desired time and location, the farther ahead you must request. ( Not all dreams come true.) If you cannot use your week during your use year, deposit it with your exchange company to extend its life for two years and have something already on hand when you need to make a trade.

2. Own time in a certain size unit and resort (or "Undivided Interest is a building) which is represented by the number of POINTS required to rent weeks in that resort group. You can break up your weeks into smaller units and use them at different times of year. The same accommodations cost fewer points in off season than busy season, so you can stay longer. You can stay longer in a smaller unit or choose a larger unit for a shorter time. If this is part of a resort chain, you can usually exchange into sister resorts for no extra fee or a relativey low fee. You may still reserve a full week and give it to an exchange company such as RCI Weeks to secure locations outside your group.

Points are like dollars. Allocate them as you please during your Use Year. You may even be able to use them for cruises, care rentals, etc. Be aware that points from different resorts are like coinage from different countries. For example, a 2 Bedroom in the Bluegreen chain is worth 9,000 points during the same week that it is 154,000 points at Fairfield/Wyndham Resorts. This does NOT mean that one really "costs" more in dollars and cents or that one resort is "better" than the other. (That's why we need to identify whose points we are talking about in any discussion involving numbers.) The cost is about the same whether you buy a hamburger for $3.00 or 30 pesos.

3. RCI Points. This program seems especially popular with resorts which are not part of a large group that can exchange internally. RCI assigns point value to what you own in exchange for your week or weeks so that you can exchange more flexably as in #2 above. There is an exchange fee. You can, of course, still use your weeks at your own resort. Not all RCI related resorts are "Points Resorts"; some still accept only 7 day stays. (Anybody with personal experience using RCI Points is invited to correct or clarify this! I sat through the spiel but didn't buy.)

Fairfield/Wyndham has a program which works pretty much like RCI Points. The exchange fees are lower than normal full week RCI exchanges though the options are fewer. What they call RCI Nightly Stays uses pretty much the same point system as FF/W.

There are dozens of resort groups and hundreds of seperate resorts, all trying to come up with the most workable plan they can to encourage ownership. The timeshare industry has moved gradually from an emphasis on fixed weeks to floating weeks to point systems but there are variations, pluses, and pitfalls in each. Learn all you can about yours to get the most out of it.

Don't yell at the operators. They can't change the rules or give you what is not available. And remember, Timesharing is an investment in a life style choice, not a "for profit" investment.

MD

RCI does assign point values to weeks resorts.that doesn't mean that if you own a week you can convert it for points.I own both a weeks and a points resort. best of both worlds! because I own a points resort I can convert my 2 bdr red week into 60,500 points if I want to in January of each for a fee of $26.00. between both resorts I have in exess of 100,000 points. couple that with the fact that if your flexible and can go within 45 days or less an exchange can be anywhere between 6500 & 9500 points. so for the same maintance fee I'm paying for two weeks I'm getting up to 8 or 9 vacations instead of 2. I do pay the exchange fee of $164.00 per exchange. this only works if your exchanging into a weeks resort. In case your wondering how I have the time to vacation so much I'm retired. hope this helps !

Steve J.
Sep 16, 2007

if you own a week don't spend 3000.00 to convert it to points. go on ebay or any auction site and pick up a resort that already is a points resort then you will be able to convert you week to points every year if you want to. call RCI to find out how many points your week is worth!

Steve J.
Sep 16, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
mike1536 has correctly observed, quoted only in directly pertinent part to my question:

>> One disadvantage to points through RCI is that you can only search 13 months in advance tops! Weeks can search 2 yrs out. << =======================================

Mike: This fact now has me wondering about something......

If a RCI search is initiated by using a "week" which has been (at the week owners' request) converted over to RCI "Points for Deposit", which time frame limits for searching will then apply? 10-13 months, or 2 years???

Since the deposit was originally a "week", maybe the search window is allowed to be 2 years. But since that "week" later became Points for Deposit, at week owner initiative, maybe the 10 month limit for a points search is then automatically inherited instead?

This is not a trick question --- I truly don't know (but I would certainly like to). If I called RCI directly 3 separate times, I'd almost certainly get 3 different answers from a VG on the phone (and it's entirely possible that NONE of those answers would actually be correct or accurate --- RCI phone reps seem very reluctant to EVER admit "I just don't know").

I have actually done exactly the above. Last month with RCI, I converted a February 2008 fixed "week" which I own over to become "Points for Deposit". That accomplished, I then immediately initiated a search for a specific week in February 2009. That's 12 months from the original "week", 17 months from date of my request. RCI accepted my search request (verbally) without hesitation or question, but now I'm wondering if the underlying computer programming won't actually just "block" my request from actual activation until 10 months "out" from the requested February 2009 reservation date.

Any thoughts or insights such a situation, Mike? You may very well have previously done just exactly what I have described above, so you may actually have the necessary direct, personal knowledge and experience on the matter with which to provide an accurate (non-speculation) answer.

Thanks.

============= Ken, one question. Where you requesting an exchange, for February '09, into a Points Resort or a Weeks Resort?

Mike N.
Sep 16, 2007

Re: >> Ken, one question. Were you requesting an exchange, for February '09, into a Points Resort or a Weeks Resort? << =====================================

Hi Mike:

My search request was for a specific, limited geographic area, without ever identifying any particular resort at all. I wanted to keep all options open, so I never mentioned any specific resort when initiating my search request. There are probably +/- 40 RCI affiliated timeshare resorts in that particular area of coastal FL.

However, knowing many of the timeshare resorts in this defined area first hand after two decades of ownership, I don't personally know of ANY which are RCI "points" resorts (or any which are even considering converting, for that matter). I don't claim to know every single resort, but of the many which I've used and/or visited over the years, NONE were / are RCI points facilities. It would not particularly surprise me if there were NO RCI points resorts at all in this particular geographic area, but I certainly do not claim to know that for an established fact.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 17, 2007 05:34 AM

Sep 18, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
Re: >> Ken, one question. Were you requesting an exchange, for February '09, into a Points Resort or a Weeks Resort? << =====================================

Hi Mike:

My search request was for a specific, limited geographic area, without ever identifying any particular resort at all. I wanted to keep all options open, so I never mentioned any specific resort when initiating my search request. There are probably +/- 40 RCI affiliated timeshare resorts in that particular area of coastal FL.

However, knowing many of the timeshare resorts in this defined area first hand after two decades of ownership, I don't personally know of ANY which are RCI "points" resorts (or any which are even considering converting, for that matter). I don't claim to know every single resort, but of the many which I've used and/or visited over the years, NONE were / are RCI points facilities. It would not particularly surprise me if there were NO RCI points resorts at all in this particular geographic area, but I certainly do not claim to know that for an established fact.

========== Ken, this may just confirm what you already know, but an RCI rep told me (famous last words...) that you can do a request (>10 mos) only for a weeks resort. This is regardless of whether or not you deposited a weeks resort for points. You still have x amount of points to with which to search. You're right about lack of Points Resorts in coastal FL. There are none in the Keys (only 10 total); there are a few in the Marcos Island, Sanibel Island and Ft. Meyer's areas. I believe the southeast has more of a selection. Another thing regarding Points for Deposit, if you have a lock-off unit, you can deposit your unit separately and get more points than if deposited together, though you'd be charged another fee. My unit in NH is worth 42,000 points as a two bedroom, but it is worth 50,000 points when deposited separately as a one bedroom and a hotel unit. Have Fun with whatever you do.

Mike N.
Sep 20, 2007

Re: >> ...an RCI rep told me (famous last words...) that you can do a request (>10 mos) only for a weeks resort. This is regardless of whether or not you deposited a weeks resort for points. << ======================================

Mike (and anyone else interested in this topic):

I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of this matter and, as usual, I believe the RCI rep answer to have been either incomplete and / or just flat out wrong.

After a whole lot of digging and research (and no useful or correct input or information at ANY point from RCI itself), this is what I now believe to be accurate and correct:

1. RCI Points can search for "weeks" resorts up to 2 years out.

2. RCI Points can search for RCI "points resorts" 10 months out. However, reserving at the home points resort at which the members' RCI points are actually based must occur 13 months out.

3. It doesn't matter one bit whether the RCI "points" one is using to search with are from the home "points" resort, or from a "week" converted to RCI "points for deposit". It apparently just plain doesn't matter at all. The determining factor for the search time window with RCI is, in short summary, apparently completely unrelated to what you're searching WITH (except that you obviously need enough points, currently or by also borrowing into next year's allocation, to "pay" for that reservation which you are seeking). What matters for the "search time window" is evidently ONLY what you're searching FOR (i.e., whether you're looking to reserve at a "points" resort or at a "weeks" resort).

It's no wonder that it takes some time and considerable effort to decipher and figure out these RCI points / weeks search details, particularly when the RCI phone reps are themselves so consistently ill informed regarding their own employing company's policies. That they are so very consistently wrong in their "answers and helpful information" is a bit scary.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 20, 2007 07:00 AM

Sep 20, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
Re: >> ...an RCI rep told me (famous last words...) that you can do a request (>10 mos) only for a weeks resort. This is regardless of whether or not you deposited a weeks resort for points. << ======================================

Mike (and anyone else interested in this topic):

I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of this matter and, as usual, I believe the RCI rep answer to have been either incomplete and / or just flat out wrong.

After a whole lot of digging and research (and no useful or correct input or information at ANY point from RCI itself), this is what I now believe to be accurate and correct:

1. RCI Points can search for "weeks" resorts up to 2 years out.

2. RCI Points can search for RCI "points resorts" 10 months out. However, reserving at the home points resort at which the members' RCI points are actually based must occur 13 months out.

3. It doesn't matter one bit whether the RCI "points" one is using to search with are from the home "points" resort, or from a "week" converted to RCI "points for deposit". It apparently just plain doesn't matter at all. The determining factor for the search time window with RCI is, in short summary, apparently completely unrelated to what you're searching WITH (except that you obviously need enough points, currently or by also borrowing into next year's allocation, to "pay" for that reservation which you are seeking). What matters for the "search time window" is evidently ONLY what you're searching FOR (i.e., whether you're looking to reserve at a "points" resort or at a "weeks" resort).

It's no wonder that it takes some time and considerable effort to decipher and figure out these RCI points / weeks search details, particularly when the RCI phone reps are themselves so consistently ill informed regarding their own employing company's policies. That they are so very consistently wrong in their "answers and helpful information" is a bit scary.

========== Ken, Well stated, you’ve explained them very clearly; much better than I’ve been able to do. There are also two other reservation periods that people should be aware of.

a) Reserve a vacation at your home resort either during a different week or in a different unit from the one you own. The reservation must be for seven nights. (approximately 11-12 months prior to check-in).

b) Reserve a unit at one of your home resort's affiliate properties. Choose any size unit and any length of stay (approximately 10-11 months prior to check-in).

You can still reserve a weeks resort within 45 days prior to check-in for 7500 points, though I don’t think is well advertised.

Mike N.
Sep 20, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
========== Ken, Well stated, you’ve explained them very clearly; much better than I’ve been able to do. There are also two other reservation periods that people should be aware of.

a) Reserve a vacation at your home resort either during a different week or in a different unit from the one you own. The reservation must be for seven nights. (approximately 11-12 months prior to check-in).

b) Reserve a unit at one of your home resort's affiliate properties. Choose any size unit and any length of stay (approximately 10-11 months prior to check-in).

You can still reserve a weeks resort within 45 days prior to check-in for 7500 points, though I don’t think is well advertised.

== I'm almost afraid to ask, but how can a RCI Weeks member convert a week to points with RCI? Didn't think that was possible to function as an RCI Points member without buying into a resort that is related to RCI Points. Or are you saying that someone who does buy into an RCI Points resort but also owns at a non-RCI Points resort can somehow be granted the right to convert that other property to RCI Points?? MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Sep 20, 2007 11:22 PM

Sep 21, 2007

adahiscout asks, quoted only in directly pertinent part:

>> Or are you saying that someone who does buy into an RCI Points resort but also owns at a non-RCI Points resort can somehow be granted the right to convert that other property to RCI Points?? << ======================================

No, that's not what I'm saying. BOTH the "weeks" resort and the "points" resort must be RCI affiliated in the RCI points / weeks equation. I said nothing at all (and I know absolutely rnothing at all) about non-RCI points resorts' policies, rules, or practices. I speak ONLY of RCI affiliated points resorts and RCI affiliated "weeks" resorts --- nothing else.

In order to be able to work with RCI points at all, one must first have ownership at a RCI "points" resort. Then (and ONLY then), if one also owns "weeks" at an RCI affiliated "weeks" resort, then one can opt (purely voluntarily) to deposit that "week" as "RCI points for deposit", in essence converting that particular RCI affiliated "week" over to "RCI points" (not permanently, but on a year by year, case by case basis). And, of course, RCI charges a fee for each such "conversion". Currently that fee is $29 per "conversion" of a week to "RCI points for deposit", but as in all matters RCI, that fee is subject to be increased at any time, with little or no advance notice.

Personally, I got into RCI points ownership at all only to be able to make better use of certain RCI-affiliated weeks I already own, since in recent years the ability to accomplish decent quality "week for week" exchanges through RCI Spacebanking has declined very obviously and very sharply. Being able to convert RCI affiliated weeks to RCI points just opens up a few more options, including being able to utilize less than a full 7 day week at "RCI points" resorts.

The key to implementing this particular strategy in a manner which is even distantly resembling "cost effective", is of course to first find a low purchase cost, low annual maintenance fee RCI "points" resort, even if you never intend to actually set foot on that particular property but only want an avenue by which to use points and/or convert exisiting RCI affiliated "weeks" to RCI "points". Good deals are out there, but it takes some time and homework to find them.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 21, 2007 10:51 AM

Sep 21, 2007

ken1193 adahiscout asks, quoted only in directly pertinent part:

>> Or are you saying that someone who does buy into an RCI Points resort but also owns at a non-RCI Points resort can somehow be granted the right to convert that other property to RCI Points?? << ======================================

No, that's not what I'm saying. BOTH the "weeks" resort and the "points" resort must be RCI affiliated in the RCI points / weeks equation. I said nothing at all (and I know absolutely rnothing at all) about non-RCI points resorts' policies, rules, or practices. I speak ONLY of RCI affiliated points resorts and RCI affiliated "weeks" resorts --- nothing else.

In order to be able to work with RCI points at all, one must first have ownership at a RCI "points" resort. Then (and ONLY then), if one also owns "weeks" at an RCI affiliated "weeks" resort, then one can opt (purely voluntarily) to deposit that RCI affiliated resort "week" as "RCI points for deposit", in essence converting that particular RCI affiliated "week" over to "RCI points" (not permanently, but on a year by year, case by case basis). And, of course, RCI charges a fee for each such "conversion". Currently that fee is $29 per "conversion" of a week to "RCI points for deposit", but as in all matters RCI, that fee is subject to be increased at any time, with little or no advance notice.

Personally, I got into RCI points ownership at all only to be able to make better use of certain RCI-affiliated weeks ("weak weeks") which I already own, since in recent years the ability to make decent quality "week for week" exchanges through RCI Spacebanking has declined very obviously and very sharply. Being able to convert RCI affiliated weeks to RCI points just opens up a few more options, including (but not limited to) being able to utilize less than full 7 day week stays at "RCI points" resorts.

The key to implementing this particular strategy in a manner which is even distantly resembling "cost effective", is of course to first find a low purchase cost, low annual maintenance fee RCI "points" resort, even if you never intend to actually set foot on that particular property, but only want an avenue by which to use points and/or convert exisiting weeks to points. Good deals are out there, but it takes some homework to find them.

P.S. My apologies if my habit (which I don't plan to abandon) of capitalizing some words is incorrectly interpreted to be "shouting". That's not my intent. My objective is simply to emphasize certain key points which I believe to be particularly important simply by capitalizing key words. No more and no less.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 21, 2007 10:30 AM

Sep 21, 2007

First of all, thanks to all in this most informative dialogue. Your well thought-out input is most appreciated. I am both a weeks & points owner and just wanted to add a word of caution. I have weeks resorts that are happy to have me convert to points on an annual basis. I also own weeks at a point resort (not my points membership resort) that are helpful when I want to deposit weeks and get points. My cautionary tale - I have a points resort (not the one I used to join the points program) that will not allow me to deposit my weeks for points. They insist I use a local real estate agent and pay $1.500. to join a program that I am already a member of. Just a suggestion if you are thinking of buying a new week at a new points resort - you might want to phone the resort directly and find out what their policy is on depositing your week with RCI and getting points prior to buying the timeshare. Their policy in this instance is harmful to current owners as I believe it makes this resort less attractive in the points/weeks equation. Ken 1193 above has offered solid advice. Again - thanks to all.

Robert M.
Sep 21, 2007

rpmather states:

>> First of all, thanks to all in this most informative dialogue. Your well thought-out input is most appreciated. I am both a weeks & points owner and just wanted to add a word of caution. I have weeks resorts that are happy to have me convert to points on an annual basis. I also own weeks at a point resort (not my points membership resort) that are helpful when I want to deposit weeks and get points. My cautionary tale - I have a points resort (not the one I used to join the points program) that will not allow me to deposit my weeks for points. They insist I use a local real estate agent and pay $1.500. to join a program that I am already a member of. Just a suggestion if you are thinking of buying a new week at a new points resort - you might want to phone the resort directly and find out what their policy is on depositing your week with RCI and getting points prior to buying the timeshare. Their policy in this instance is harmful to current owners as I believe it makes this resort less attractive in the points/weeks equation. Ken 1193 above has offered solid advice. Again - thanks to all.<< ====================================

Thank you for your kind words regarding my and others' input. Your additional information is both enlightening and a bit perplexing too. It sounds, at first blush anyhow, like a situation in which maybe the resort itself was originally (and solely) a "weeks" resort , but is in the process of converting over to become a "points" resort, either in whole or in part? In such instances occurring in numerous resorts, existing "weeks" owners appear to be getting "muscled" to permanently convert their "week" ownership over to "points" ownership. I see claims that this is actually going on right now at numerous Florida resorts, and weeks owners there report (via Internet) getting squeezed to the tune of several thousand dollars to complete a "conversion" that they don't even want to make in the first place! Ironically, the guaranteed fixed week which they originally had is then reportedly no longer guaranteed at all in that same week after "conversion" -- they then have to "reserve" it (13 months in advance). So much for that "fixed" week. Talk about getting whipsawed!

I have also read of another situation in Sebastian, FL where, upon purchase of a fixed week, the buyer gets a fixed week guarantee, but must then coinvert to points (for another $2k, if I recall that report correctly). What's odd about that particular deal is that upon the NEXT sale, the "points" conversion apparently just "disappears" and the whole "conversion from weeks to points" process (and collection of $2K to do so) reportedly starts all over again with the next buyer. And (surprise, surprise) the resort salesman involved then changes his hat and --VOILA!--- is now also the realtor who actually conducts (and collects each and every time for) the points conversion. Nice work, if you can get it.......

As is always the case in the timeshare industry..... CAVEAT EMPTOR (Buyer Beware).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 21, 2007 02:31 PM

Sep 21, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
rpmather states:

>> First of all, thanks to all in this most informative dialogue. Your well thought-out input is most appreciated. I am both a weeks & points owner and just wanted to add a word of caution. I have weeks resorts that are happy to have me convert to points on an annual basis. I also own weeks at a point resort (not my points membership resort) that are helpful when I want to deposit weeks and get points. My cautionary tale - I have a points resort (not the one I used to join the points program) that will not allow me to deposit my weeks for points. They insist I use a local real estate agent and pay $1.500. to join a program that I am already a member of. Just a suggestion if you are thinking of buying a new week at a new points resort - you might want to phone the resort directly and find out what their policy is on depositing your week with RCI and getting points prior to buying the timeshare. Their policy in this instance is harmful to current owners as I believe it makes this resort less attractive in the points/weeks equation. Ken 1193 above has offered solid advice. Again - thanks to all.

<< ====================================

Thank you for your kind words regarding my and others' input. Your additional information is both enlightening and a bit perplexing too. It sounds, at first blush anyhow, like a situation in which maybe the resort itself was originally (and solely) a "weeks" resort , but is in the process of converting over to become a "points" resort, either in whole or in part? In such instances occurring in numerous resorts, existing "weeks" owners appear to be getting "muscled" to permanently convert their "week" ownership over to "points" ownership. I see claims that this is actually going on right now at numerous Florida resorts, and weeks owners there report (via Internet) getting squeezed to the tune of several thousand dollars to complete a "conversion" that they don't even want to make in the first place! Ironically, the guaranteed fixed week which they originally had is then reportedly no longer guaranteed at all in that same week after "conversion" -- they then have to "reserve" it (13 months in advance). So much for that "fixed" week. Talk about getting whipsawed!

I have also read of another situation in Sebastian, FL where, upon purchase of a fixed week, the buyer gets a fixed week guarantee, but must then coinvert to points (for another $2k, if I recall that report correctly). What's odd about that particular deal is that upon the NEXT sale, the "points" conversion apparently just "disappears" and the whole "conversion from weeks to points" process (and collection of $2K to do so) reportedly starts all over again with the next buyer. And (surprise, surprise) the resort salesman involved then changes his hat and --VOILA!--- is now also the realtor who actually conducts (and collects each and every time for) the points conversion. Nice work, if you can get it.......

As is always the case in the timeshare industry..... CAVEAT EMPTOR (Buyer Beware). =========== Ken, you are correct in your assumption that “the resort itself was originally (and solely) a ‘weeks’ resort, but is in the process of converting over to become a ‘points’ resort, either in whole or in part".

For example, my home “weeks” resort actually consists of three different developments. Steele Hill, Steele Hill West, and Steele Hill East are weeks resorts; and Steel Hill South which is a new RCI Points resort. A sales rep correctly told me a weeks owner can only deposit their week for points as long as the entire resort is a weeks resort (i.e. they haven’t begun the conversion to points) and they own at a Points Resort. Because the South units were considered a separate resort, owners at the other three resorts could deposit their week for points. This was a great marketing ploy when the started selling the new South units to existing “weeks” owners…”Buy one of the new South units and, as an added bonus, you could get even more points by depositing your “weeks” unit for points”. Of course, after listening to the potential benefits of Points including depositing my week for points I became a Points Resort owner. Though I did not buy one of the new Steele Hill South unit (too pricey and MFs too high). I went ahead and did my research to find the best possible deal for me at another resort.

Mike N.
Sep 22, 2007

In the interest of our general sanity, may I suggest that when we are discussing RCI Points Resorts or RCI Weeks Resorts we SAY RCI very specifically, not just "points" or "weeks". There are lots of kinds of weeks resorts and points resorts and someone who has not read the entire thread can be totally misled by the discussion if we are not always specific.

Anyhow, as I understand all the above, RCI Weeks Members who are also RCI Points Members can convert their week at their RCI affiliated Weeks resort to RCI points for a fee on a voluntary year by year basis. This is rather like converting my Grandvista week into the FF/Wyndham points system via the PIC program on a voluntary year to year basis. Got it! Thanks. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Sep 22, 2007 07:53 PM

Jan 04, 2008

I own points in Shell and Fairfield (Wyndham). I have been very happy with the flexibility of points. Due to a recent financial problem I want to rent out my points since I cannot afford to travel at this time. I read at this site that if you rent them out that the trip can be cancelled, but yet I see many rental ads posted. How do I prevent this problem? I will go to tug2 and read but want to do this asap. Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.

Barbara H.
Jan 04, 2008

bhass913 wrote:
I own points in Shell and Fairfield (Wyndham). I have been very happy with the flexibility of points. Due to a recent financial problem I want to rent out my points since I cannot afford to travel at this time. I read at this site that if you rent them out that the trip can be cancelled, but yet I see many rental ads posted. How do I prevent this problem? I will go to tug2 and read but want to do this asap. Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.
=========== The issue with rentals being cancelled relate to renting out exchanges obtained through RCI or Interval International. I have read threads that say you can't even rent your home week if it is with an RCI Points resort, though I'm still trying to get a definitive answer for that question. Allegedly, since all the RCI Points weeks are "deposited" into the RCI system, any booking of a week (at home resort or otherwise) is treated as an exchange.

You should check with Shell and/or Fairfield for their rules and regulations. Good Luck

Mike N.
Jan 06, 2008

bhass913, were you talking about rentals being canceled by and exchange company or did you just mean that the renter could cancel late and leave you with an unrentable week?

You can't rent something you get from an exchange company such as RCI but I know you are allowed to rent out a week you own or get through an internal points exchange with Fairfield/Wyndham. Make a contract with the renter which requires a non-returnable deposit of at least 25% as soon as you confirm that you have the reservation time and place they requested IN YOUR NAME. Don't put the confirmation into the renter's name until you have full payment, 60 days out if possible. In this case, if they cancel you have some money in hand and can cancel the reservation to get your points back.

You may also rent out your points to another Wyndham owner and let them make their own reservations. (See RedWeek's Red Wishes) You should be able to get at least $5.00 per thousand Wyndham points if they are not too close to expiring. At least cover your costs! When payment is received, call the Wyndham line and give them the account number of the renter to whom you want your points transferred. They may want to speak to you both, but it is pretty simple. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Jan 06, 2008 11:10 PM

Jan 07, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
mike1536 has correctly observed, quoted only in directly pertinent part to my question:

>> One disadvantage to points through RCI is that you can only search 13 months in advance tops! Weeks can search 2 yrs out. << =======================================

Mike: This fact now has me wondering about something......

If a RCI search is initiated by using a "week" which has been (at the week owners' request) converted over to RCI "Points for Deposit", which time frame limits for searching will then apply? 10-13 months, or 2 years???

Since the deposit was originally a "week", maybe the search window is allowed to be 2 years. But since that "week" later became Points for Deposit, at week owner initiative, maybe the 10 month limit for a points search is then automatically inherited instead?

This is not a trick question --- I truly don't know (but I would certainly like to). If I called RCI directly 3 separate times, I'd almost certainly get 3 different answers from a VG on the phone (and it's entirely possible that NONE of those answers would actually be correct or accurate --- RCI phone reps seem very reluctant to EVER admit "I just don't know").

I have actually done exactly the above. Last month with RCI, I converted a February 2008 fixed "week" which I own over to become "Points for Deposit". That accomplished, I then immediately initiated a search for a specific week in February 2009. That's 12 months from the original "week", 17 months from date of my request. RCI accepted my search request (verbally) without hesitation or question, but now I'm wondering if the underlying computer programming won't actually just "block" my request from actual activation until 10 months "out" from the requested February 2009 reservation date.

Any thoughts or insights such a situation, Mike? You may very well have previously done just exactly what I have described above, so you may actually have the necessary direct, personal knowledge and experience on the matter with which to provide an accurate (non-speculation) answer.

Thanks.

Yes, it gets tricky doesn't it, knowing how it all works. We changed to points a few years ago and one exchange we wanted didn't do points. We could still go there but we were charged the exchange fee for weeks rather than points which is cheaper. Something else they don't tell you at the time.

Edna B.
Jan 07, 2008

ednab2 wrote:
Yes, it gets tricky doesn't it, knowing how it all works. We changed to points a few years ago and one exchange we wanted didn't do points. We could still go there but we were charged the exchange fee for weeks rather than points which is cheaper. Something else they don't tell you at the time.

That's one thing I don't understand about the RCI point system .... some RCI related resorts aren't on the point system and are still only on the weeks system. How come all RCI related resorts aren't on the RCI point system?

R P.
Jan 07, 2008

jayjay wrote:
ednab2 wrote:

That's one thing I don't understand about the RCI point system .... some RCI related resorts aren't on the point system and are still only on the weeks system. How come all RCI related resorts aren't on the RCI point system?

============= RCI "weeks" resorts are slowly converting and current owners are being charged thousands of dollars for the privilege. I think as long as there are people who are not converting, RCI will need to keep the traditional weeks exchange system. However, as more and more resorts convert, there will be less and less availabilities in the "weeks" system. I'm sure eventually RCI will be entirely points.

For the purposes of booking a "weeks" resort to an RCI Points member, RCI assigns all of their "weeks" resorts a point value based on region, season, quality and size. This allows a Points member to access RCI’s entire inventory.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.