Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst (by Charles S.):

susan722 wrote:
We bought direct from Marriott 6 years ago. Annual Platinum Plus, week 52 at Harbour Lake. We declined to convert to the points system in November 2010 after we were told that in order to get the same week we would have to pay an additional 13K. Does that sounds right? Now that we've declined, what are our options?

I believe you may have misunderstood what was said to you. First, if you decided to participate in the points program, if you wanted to use your week 52 you would not use points. You would reserve that week 52 as you always have done but simply making the reservation online or by calling Marriott.

Secondly, if you joined the points program and did not wish to use your week 52, but wanted to stay at another Marriott property or take a cruise/tour instead, you would make a decision to convert to Destination Club points and use the required number of points to do what you would like to do. It's that simple.

As far as the extra $13,000, the only thing I can think they were trying to tell you was that if you were to buy points today for your unit, it would cost you more than when you bought it in weeks. However, this is insignificant to you because you already own the week so you don't have to pay again. That 13K extra would be for a new person trying to buy enough points with Marriott for your same week.

I hope this makes sense.