Point Systems

Marriott Going to Point Syst

May 30, 2012

This recent experience is rather concerning. I understand that individual owners have to deposit to interval international for inventory to be available, however, since Marriott is part owner of II, I've always been worried that they can pull some shenanigans. I wonder if this is what had happened. And is this a harbinger of things to come i.e. grabbing inventory to make it available to their new points owners. (writing as an owner who has always had great results in the past).

Mark D.

Last edited by mark2769 on May 30, 2012 06:01 PM

May 31, 2012

Please advise source/specifics for comment that Marriott or Vacation Club is a partial owner of Interval Int'l. II is a public company.

I would hope that Vacation Club would be very careful to ensure that they do not alienate legacy owners. Much of what Dest needs comes from legacy owners. The wks placed in the trust at the outset were disclosed when we enrolled. This was unsold stuff at a point in time - leftover weeks, very likely not the "pick of the litter."

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on May 31, 2012 01:56 PM

May 31, 2012

You can probable see that this is not about free market as 1000s of inventory doesn;t suddenly dissappear overnight and then reappear all of a sudden like it did without any compelling even on those 2 specific days. I can buy that there was a glitch that they fixed. But the lack of formal communication from Marriott is worrisome. I think they have a pretty decent story with the new point system and the move away from II (either by design or how the owners may choose not to deposit in II), but they are doing a lousy job with communicating to their loyal customers.

Amit P.
May 31, 2012

I am looking for advise as to whether or not we should enroll in the Point System. We have 2 Platinum Garden View weeks at Myrtle Beach Ocean Watch, valued at 6450 points. I know we need 6500 to obtain Premier status. For the next 5 to 7 years (till our children get older) we plan on continuing to use these 2 weeks at Ocean Watch. Should we convert or just stay like we are?

Ernie N.

Last edited by ernien9 on May 31, 2012 03:19 PM

May 31, 2012

who told you Marriott was "part owner" of Interval? They have their own desk but then so do a dozen other companies. Doesn't make them "part owners".

Luigi K.
May 31, 2012

Here's my analysis so far (and it is still evolving based on what I read). 1. There is a slight loss (about 5%) if you simply deposit the weeks for point and then try to buy get the same unit back by using the points. However, there are few benefits that might offset the loss. With points, you have an option of picking the days you want to get the week. Earlier you were locked in for a week that started on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. However, if you are willing to travel any day (say from Tuesday to tuesday), you may well recover the 5% loss in cheaper airfare. Another significant advantage is if you modify your travel plan around using points for Friday and Saturday. Sunday through Thursday are much cheaper than Friday and Saturday. In our case, we might travel from Sunday to Thursday of week after (12 days), but plan a 2 day excursions on Friday and Saturday away from the resort. 2. The big unknown is what would be available through Interval International, once large number of owners switch to point system. If there is no supply of Marriott into II, it doesn't make sense to not get into point system (unless you excahnge marriott for non-Marriott units). 3. With point system, you have upto 2 years to use up your units. You have up to 3+ years right (2 years in II and 1 year with Marriott). So, if you dont travel regularly, point system is worse. 4. Given that you pay a annual fee only once (of $156?) with point system, you will same some money over depositing week in II (where you pay II membership fees + lock out fee + fee everytime you exchange etc).

Would love to hear pros/cons from others.

Amit P.
May 31, 2012

As for whether or not Marriott owns part of Interval, all i can tell you is that when I bought at Newport Coast in 1999, my sales agent (maybe as an inducement?) told me that Marriott was part owner of II and that would "unofficially" give Marriott owners some preference when using II's services. In looking up this issue online, I also came across a site known as timesharejuice.com which states the following in one of their posts:

"Interval International is part of IILG - Interval International Leisure Group. Marriott Vacation Club is a major investor in Interval International when they got started 20 years ago. Interval International was divested from USA Interactive several years ago. Interval World is the website for Interval International."

Further - at this link: http://web.timesharejuice.com/interval-international/ there is add'l info that states:

"Interval (II) received initial funding by Marriott, the global hotel and resort developer."

Mark D.

Last edited by mark2769 on May 31, 2012 06:50 PM

Jun 01, 2012

You were lied to. A fairly complete history of Interval can be read on Wikipedia . . . .

Luigi K.
Jun 07, 2012

I have a serious problem with the lack of flexibility with the new Vacation Destination Program. I am trying to follow the rules but no one is willing to help me. The PROBLEM: RESERVATION and CANCELLATION Made within 60 days and my 900 points are being held “HOSTAGE”, they were not put back in the TRUST. They are in the "HOLDING" points bucket. If I do not use them before December 31, 2012, they will be forfeited.

This 60 day RESTRICTION limits as to where I can go. There is NO POLICY that covers my problem for cancelling a made reservation within the 60 day period and cancelling it. In order for me to book anywhere, it MUST BE WITHIN 60 days of check-in. Check out the "HOLDING POINTS BUCKET".

HOLDING POINTS RULE: Vacation Club Points placed in a Holding Account may not be banked or transferred, and will expire at the end of the applicable Use Year. Vacation Club Points placed in a Holding Account may only be used to reserve a Vacation within 60 days of check-in within the Marriott Vacation Club Collection, Explorer Collection, and World Traveler Collection.

Dorothy E.
Jun 08, 2012

Let's be fair to Vacation Club and to the rest of the participants. So, you cancel a reservation within 60 days of use and want Vac Club to absorb the potential loss without any cost to you? Be reasonable, you got the points back with a minor restriction and 6+ months to use them. The days you returned may not be used at all - a potential total loss.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jun 08, 2012 03:06 PM

Jun 08, 2012

Luigik - you might be right that I was lied to by a Marriott sales person. It wouldn't be the first time that Marriott sales people have misled potential customers. But Wikipedia as the source of all truth on this? Really? Wikipedia, which is notorious for being filled with lots of incorrect information, since anyone can add whatever they want to a subject? And where did time-share juice.com get their information which contradicts your point of view? Your absolute certainty is interesting. Are you an insider?

Mark D.

Last edited by mark2769 on Jun 08, 2012 11:24 AM

Jun 09, 2012

read the wikipedia account and be prepared to be suprised. You can do follow up research and really learn the truth. Yes, I am an insider and feel sorry for all of you who have been duped.

Luigi K.
Jun 10, 2012

OK, read the Wikipedia material and absolutely nothing of great value there -just completely generic information that most everyone who is a member would already know. And certainly nothing that would argue against Marriott having, at one time or another, been a part owner of II.

Mark D.
Jun 10, 2012

I don't understand the significance of this back and forth stuff re any Interval ownership by Marriott. If you really want to identify the significant shareholders of Interval, you can do this by calling up the Interval stock symbol "iilg" on Yahoo and looking for the list of the significant shareholders. Marriott does not appear.

Dennis

Den
Jun 10, 2012

Using the points is not a good idea, our property in Shadow Ridge gives us 75000 points for a yearly fee of $1100.00. Using points in a Courtyard in Prague for 5 nights cost os 70000 points, the same hotel I can book for approx. $95.00 a night - you do the numbers!

Barbara P.
Jun 11, 2012

The only way to use points that is cost effective is with travel packages that include air and hotel -- and you need to wait until you can max the airline points (meaning 120,000) if you wish to create value.

Hotel packages or airline packages (rather then the combination packages) are poor values.

J E.
Jun 12, 2012

People who were loyal Marriott customers before becomming MVC owners understand the difference in how loyalty is treated. Vacation Club was ALWAYS a big let down from what you were used to in the hotels. IMHO this was one big reason big Marriott spun off MVC. Now they can measure the customer satisfaction and control the brand identity more without the big real estate overhang that they hated. What Marriott does great is managing properties and treating people well in hotels. Managing customer service for MVC is a completely different story,

Jim A.
Jun 12, 2012

of course. No intrigue there and no special favors from Interval for Marriott owners . . . .

Luigi K.
Jun 12, 2012

Marriott properties seem to trade very well thru Interval based on the property deposited and the Travel Demand Index (TDI) associated with a particular week. Trading based upon these measures seems quite fair to all parties. In addition, the Marriott properties tend to be top tier properties. Out of fairness to Interval, why should Marriott owners expect any advantage beyond the inherent value of the week deposited? Interval is not part of and is not controlled by Marriott Vacation Club.

Den
Jun 23, 2012

Point system works for me because when I call at 9 in the morning on the first day I can call, at the Marriott Grande Ocean , I cannot get ,y reservation! Oh, did I mention I own two weeks? I call 13 months ahead on the hour of the first day of availability!! At least with the points, I secured a three bedroom at Surf Watch immediately! I got screwed out of a week, but got a three bedroom

Connie M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.