Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting "Breakaway Weeks"

Nov 28, 2006

My husband and I just bought a floating timeshare in Nuevo Vallarta on our honeymoon. We have a one-bedroom lock-off with studio for one week, plus an award week (each year). The week we purchased can be exchanged, but the award week needs to be used at a Playa Del Sol Resort. We also received 22 "Breakaway Weeks" that can be used anywhere. But we want to sell them. We are new at this and have some questions:

1) Can we sell them on this site? 2) Do we reserve a place and date and then post for renters? 3) Is it best to leave these breakaway weeks as open and let renters pick their location and dates?

Please advise. Thank you.

Jeanne

Jeanne S.
Nov 28, 2006

Jeanne, I've never heard of 'breakaway weeks'. This must be something new. Could you explain how they work?

Does your contract state that you can sell those weeks? If not, it might be a good idea to phone the resort and ask if you can sell them.

R P.
Nov 28, 2006

One more question, are 'breakaway weeks' free to you or is there a charge?

R P.
Nov 28, 2006

The Breakaway weeks are given to us as an incentive to purchase the timeshare and they are managed by HSI. Since we have 22, we have 22 extra weeks to use as we please or sell/give to others over 22 years. We can bank one per year for a year. We can also combine them to get an resort upgrade. For example, each week represents a one bedroom suite with a studio lockoff-- so we can combine two for a two bedroom suite for one week.

I just am not clear if I can sell these weeks through this forum, because I read some threads where people were saying they weren't allowed to sell some of their week.

Jeanne S.
Nov 29, 2006

From your explanation below, I don't see any reason why you couldn't sell the weeks. Are all 22 weeks free to you?

Anything that you own outright you can rent or sell. It's exchanged weeks (via an exchange company) that's prohibited from being sold, although many people do it.

jeannes43 wrote:
The Breakaway weeks are given to us as an incentive to purchase the timeshare and they are managed by HSI. Since we have 22, we have 22 extra weeks to use as we please or sell/give to others over 22 years. We can bank one per year for a year. We can also combine them to get an resort upgrade. For example, each week represents a one bedroom suite with a studio lockoff-- so we can combine two for a two bedroom suite for one week.

I just am not clear if I can sell these weeks through this forum, because I read some threads where people were saying they weren't allowed to sell some of their week.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.