Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

FILING COMPLAINTS CONCERNING TIMESHARE RIPOFFS

Jun 01, 2007

If you think you have been ripped off by any timeshare company then file a complaint with the Attorney General's office in the state where the company is located. You can find this information by doing a google search.

If enough people file complaints then the government will have to start regulating how timeshares are sold by both developers and resale ripoff scam artists and other scams related to timesharing.

R P.
Jun 16, 2007

How many complaints have you filed ? Most attorney generals will not be interested in pursuing a complaint about a salesman lying to someone as they really don't have that large a budget.

Henny P.
Jun 16, 2007

Mr. hennyp, I have yet to file a complaint due to the fact I never used an upfront fee resale company to begin with. I sold nine timeshares on Redweek, MyResortNetwork and Bidshares myself. The thought never entered my mind to use an upfront fee company. I would have rather given my weeks to charity than to use one of those companies.

There have been many members here that have filed complaints with the Florida attorney general and other state attorneys general since these forums began due to being ripped off by upfront fee companies and other timeshare scams.

hennyp wrote:
How many complaints have you filed ? Most attorney generals will not be interested in pursuing a complaint about a salesman lying to someone as they really don't have that large a budget.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 16, 2007 04:09 PM

Jun 17, 2007

Unless things have changed in the past few years for Florida, complaints were handled by an arm of the Real Estate Commission. Before filing a complaint, one should do a little research to find the proper authority to complain to in whatever state they are dealing with and accumulate whatever evidence that exists in writing.

jayjay wrote:
Mr. hennyp, I have yet to file a complaint due to the fact I never used an upfront fee resale company to begin with. I sold nine timeshares on Redweek, MyResortNetwork and Bidshares myself. The thought never entered my mind to use an upfront fee company. I would have rather given my weeks to charity than to use one of those companies.

There have been many members here that have filed complaints with the Florida attorney general and other state attorneys general since these forums began due to being ripped off by upfront fee companies and other timeshare scams.

hennyp wrote:

Henny P.
Jun 18, 2007

Could be, but timeshares are not actually real estate such as owning a home/land/commercial real estate. Banks and financial institutions won't even make a loan on a timeshare as they will on actual real estate such as a home/land/commercial real estate because they know real value cannot be placed on a timeshare.

hennyp wrote:
Unless things have changed in the past few years for Florida, complaints were handled by an arm of the Real Estate Commission. Before filing a complaint, one should do a little research to find the proper authority to complain to in whatever state they are dealing with and accumulate whatever evidence that exists in writing.

R P.
Jan 11, 2008

jayjay wrote:
Could be, but timeshares are not actually real estate such as owning a home/land/commercial real estate. Banks and financial institutions won't even make a loan on a timeshare as they will on actual real estate such as a home/land/commercial real estate because they know real value cannot be placed on a timeshare. I unfortunately were convinced to list our timeshare with a "business: (and I use that term loosely) that charged us an upfront fee---and yes--you guessed it RIPOFF!!! The name of the company is Timeshare Solutions out of Las Vegas Nevada. The men involved are: Bill Ellis, Bill Armstrong, and Bob Downey. Made lots of promises--then became very beligerant when I confronted them---still have had no return call from the-and when I try to call them, their voice mail is usually full!! Any advice on how to get my money back???
hennyp wrote:

Barb M.
Jan 12, 2008

Everytime I see a TIMESHARES ONLY (upfront fee scam) commercial on TV, I want to throw up.

R P.
Jan 12, 2008

barbm47 wrote:
I unfortunately were convinced to list our timeshare with a "business: (and I use that term loosely) that charged us an upfront fee---and yes--you guessed it RIPOFF!!! The name of the company is Timeshare Solutions out of Las Vegas Nevada. The men involved are: Bill Ellis, Bill Armstrong, and Bob Downey. Made lots of promises--then became very beligerant when I confronted them---still have had no return call from the-and when I try to call them, their voice mail is usually full!! Any advice on how to get my money back???

Unfortunately, at this time, you can kiss your money goodbye. These type of scam artists set up shop and call themselves timeshare advertisers (not regulated), therefore they get away with lying to people and stealing their hard earned money. Until upfront timeshare scam businesses are regulated by a government agency, the scams will continue.

They tell prospective clients they can get an unrealistic high price for their timeshare, but in reality that's not the case on the resale market (resales garner approximately 1/3 to 1/4 of what was paid a developer in the vast majority of cases). However, the prospective client believes their lies and gives them their credit card number for the upfront fee ... end of story, that's all they wanted in the first place.

R P.
Jan 16, 2008

jayjay wrote:
Everytime I see a TIMESHARES ONLY (upfront fee scam) commercial on TV, I want to throw up.
ME TOO

Judi K.
Jan 16, 2008

barbm47 wrote:
jayjay wrote:
Could be, but timeshares are not actually real estate such as owning a home/land/commercial real estate. Banks and financial institutions won't even make a loan on a timeshare as they will on actual real estate such as a home/land/commercial real estate because they know real value cannot be placed on a timeshare. I unfortunately were convinced to list our timeshare with a "business: (and I use that term loosely) that charged us an upfront fee---and yes--you guessed it RIPOFF!!! The name of the company is Timeshare Solutions out of Las Vegas Nevada. The men involved are: Bill Ellis, Bill Armstrong, and Bob Downey. Made lots of promises--then became very beligerant when I confronted them---still have had no return call from the-and when I try to call them, their voice mail is usually full!! Any advice on how to get my money back???
hennyp wrote:
This is the Phone number for the hotline (866)966-7226.

This is the website. http://myfloridalegal.com/

If you have a problem go to this website or call the above number and they will help you.

Judi K.
Jul 28, 2008

I attended a timeshare presentation by VIP Travel on 6-29-07 and was promised a 100 dollars for gas and two free airline tickets. All I have recieved are worthless coupons that always have something wrong with them when you try to use them.

This company needs to be kept from doing business.

Richard M.
Jul 29, 2008

We purchased a timeshare while in Orlando on or about July first. When we arrived home we realized we had made a mistake since my husband found out he was going to be layed off from his job with Lockheed the same week. I stopped payment on the amount to be debited out of my checking account, sent them a letter via registered mail, and yet on the 28th, yesterday they took out 213.29 from my checking account.

HELP, is there any other thing I can do.

HJV

Cathy V.
Jul 29, 2008

cathyv37 wrote:
We purchased a timeshare while in Orlando on or about July first. When we arrived home we realized we had made a mistake since my husband found out he was going to be layed off from his job with Lockheed the same week. I stopped payment on the amount to be debited out of my checking account, sent them a letter via registered mail, and yet on the 28th, yesterday they took out 213.29 from my checking account.

HJV

=============== Did you rescind within the period allowed by Florida law? If so, then contact your bank. Did your bank stop ONLY the first automatic debit? My local bank would stop all debits, if I put a stop payment on a automatic debit. Be sure to bring in the paperwork showing you rescinded in the proper manner. If all else fails, cancel the account.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jul 29, 2008 07:23 AM

Jul 29, 2008

cathyv37 wrote:

HJV

What date did you purchase the timeshare? If it was after the rescission time period, then I'm afraid it's too late. If you were within the rescission time period, then they will be forced, by law, to return any money you paid them.

R P.
Aug 01, 2008

I once bought a timeshare from Point To Point Destinations (PTP Destinations, West Coast Timeshare) . It was a big mistake. I suggest you check the facts before you buy anything from these people. Read my postings at www.TimeshareRevealed.com. They may help you or any one you know.

Timeshare R.
Jan 09, 2009

jayjay wrote:

hennyp wrote:

Audrey R.
Jan 10, 2009

My husband and I recently went to Cabo San Lucas. We bought a timeshare... pressured actually... to make a decision that day. We were told under Mexican law we had 5 days to rescind. Within 24 hours we returned to Enchantment Residence Club to cancel because we realized that what they were promising was not in the contract. They cancelled the downpayment, but they told us we were still responsible for the closing fees, (about $1500), and that we could take it up with the credit card company if we were dissatisfied. The credit card company says we have no recourse, we must pay. HELP!!!

Lisa G.
Jan 11, 2009

lisag388 wrote:
My husband and I recently went to Cabo San Lucas. We bought a timeshare... pressured actually... to make a decision that day. We were told under Mexican law we had 5 days to rescind. Within 24 hours we returned to Enchantment Residence Club to cancel because we realized that what they were promising was not in the contract. They cancelled the downpayment, but they told us we were still responsible for the closing fees, (about $1500), and that we could take it up with the credit card company if we were dissatisfied. The credit card company says we have no recourse, we must pay. HELP!!!

They outright lied to you. It's Mexican law that a buyer has 5 days to rescind and that all monies will be refunded including the down payment and/or closing costs. If they don't comply with your request for the entire funds to be returned then you need to get in touch with Profeco (Mexico's consumer protection and fraud agency). You can learn more about Profeco by performing a forum search.

R P.
Jan 11, 2009

Los Cabos Golf Resort - My husband and I recently bought a timeshare at this resort. We were NOT told there was a grace period. There was nothing in the contracts anywhere alerting us to the grace period. Now, here is the interesting part. I ASKED the TimeShare Manager if there was a grace period and was told no. I asked what would happen if one wanted to cancel their contract at a later date and was told there would be no problem. We would get our deposit back. Well, after returning home and deciding we were hasty, I tried to cancel it and was told no. It has been three months battling back and forth with the Arizona based head office and I have finally been told that they will let us out of our contract, but we will not receive any of the deposit back. Between the deposit and the closing fees, it is $4,000.00. Of course, the two individuals we had dealt with at the resort, are no longer there. Any advice?

Laurie J.
Jan 11, 2009

travelbug wrote:
Los Cabos Golf Resort - My husband and I recently bought a timeshare at this resort. We were NOT told there was a grace period. There was nothing in the contracts anywhere alerting us to the grace period. Now, here is the interesting part. I ASKED the TimeShare Manager if there was a grace period and was told no. I asked what would happen if one wanted to cancel their contract at a later date and was told there would be no problem. We would get our deposit back. Well, after returning home and deciding we were hasty, I tried to cancel it and was told no. It has been three months battling back and forth with the Arizona based head office and I have finally been told that they will let us out of our contract, but we will not receive any of the deposit back. Between the deposit and the closing fees, it is $4,000.00. Of course, the two individuals we had dealt with at the resort, are no longer there. Any advice?

As with my advice to the poster above yours, it's Mexican law that a buyer has 5 days to rescind and it is mandatory that be in your written contact. Have you gotten in touch with Profeco? It doesn't matter what inidividual you dealt with at the reosrt, the resort is still responsible. Don't give up ..... there have been numerous complaints lately about this same problem with Mexico resorts.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.