Sheraton Vistana Villages

Vistana/Starwood Points for resale buyers

Oct 31, 2007

Is the buyer of a Vistana resale (or any Starwood Resort) entitled to the Starwood Points which can be used at any Starwood brand hotel?

Greg C.
Apr 09, 2008

I recently went through the Sheraton Vistana sales pitch,(March 2008) and I was told that Starwood Points would NOT be an option for resale owners. Their position was that, why would anyone buy from them, if they could get the same Starwood Points on a resale purchase.

Steve B.
Apr 11, 2008

only Staroptions transfer for exchange within the Starwood Network....Vistinia villages is a mandetory resort...Starpoints do not transfer!

Richard U.
Jul 10, 2008

The Starwood strategy really hurts the people who do buy from them if they want to resell later. Most Sheraton resorts do not even allow Star Options privileges to transfer to a resale owner. Compare the ebay bids and the Redweek prices for Sheraton vs Marriott and Hilton. Marriott and Hilton are much higher.

It is a shame that Starwood does not support the owners that buy directly from them by allowing them to sell at a higher price. The Starwood strategy is very short range and probably harmful to their own organization. Why not buy back units from the owners if they want to sell. Probably cheaper than building new units.

Other than this large flaw, Starwood is a very good organization.

Norman N.
May 17, 2013

Hi, your information is incorrect.Starwood does have mandatory resorts which means the star options do transfer to the new owner.Harborside is one, and some parts of vistana villages are also mandatory. The mandatory resorts hold their value better then voluntary resorts.They will charge you more maintenance in the mandatory resorts than in the voluntary resorts. I have been very pleased with starwood I feel they have the best choices in where to stay. NOTHING beats HARBORSIDE in Atlantis that is truly the best!

Donna D.
May 17, 2013

No you will not get the star points to the hotel. Remember, star options and star points are different. Staroptions are only the timeshares and star points are for the hotels worldwide.When you buy into starwood (mandatory resorts only) you will get star options included.If you buy from a voluntary resort you will not get star options,you will only be getting the week you are deeded.When you are in the program through starwood you can convert your week to star points but only when you buy through starwood direct.Hope this helps, Donna

Donna D.
Nov 12, 2014

Does anyone think that Sheraton will change their strategy in the future?

Joseph B.
Nov 12, 2014

Have you been to the resort in Cancun? This is also outstanding!

Joseph B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.