Timeshare Companies

Hyatt Time Shares

Dec 17, 2007

Anyone had any experience with the Hyatt Time Shares over two years? Pitch sounds good but not sure about the flexibility or the properties outside of Hyatt

Ron S.
Jan 07, 2008

rons211 wrote:
Anyone had any experience with the Hyatt Time Shares over two years? Pitch sounds good but not sure about the flexibility or the properties outside of Hyatt

I purchased my Hyatt about 18 mos ago and will be enjoying my third vacation week in March of 08 using just one year of points. I have my unit for 2008 up for rent and have received several offers, so I believe I will get close to my asking. I love Hyatt. The resorts are beautiful, the system is very fair, and reasonably flexible. You need to really learn the system to get the most out of it, though. Not very difficult, just takes a little study. I purchased my unit resale. The system gets great trades within the II system.

Tracey L.
Jan 09, 2008

tracey48 wrote:
rons211 wrote:

I purchased my Hyatt about 18 mos ago and will be enjoying my third vacation week in March of 08 using just one year of points. I have my unit for 2008 up for rent and have received several offers, so I believe I will get close to my asking. I love Hyatt. The resorts are beautiful, the system is very fair, and reasonably flexible. You need to really learn the system to get the most out of it, though. Not very difficult, just takes a little study. I purchased my unit resale. The system gets great trades within the II system.

Tracey,

What Hyatt benefits did you lose buying a Hyatt resale? I am sure one loses the option to trade for Hyatt Hotel points but beyond that I am not sure. I attended a Hyatt presentation in Sedona recently and was very impressed but I see considerable discounts available in Hyatt resale listings on Redweek and elsewhere. Just curious what one loses by buying second hand. There is a broker out there - not on Redweek - who claims a relationship with Hyatt that enables him to sell Hyatts resale without the loss of any benefit. I wonder if his claim is true.

Carvan A.

Last edited by carvana on Jan 10, 2008 07:07 AM

Jan 09, 2008

carvana wrote:
tracey48 wrote:
rons211 wrote:

Tracey,

What Hyatt benefits did you lose buying a Hyatt resale? I am sure one loses the option to trade for Hyatt Hotel points but beyond that I am not sure. I attended a Hyatt presentation in Sedona recently and was very impressed but I see considerable discounts available in Hyatt resale listings on Redweek and elsewhere. Just curious what one loses by buying second hand. There is a broker out there - not on Redweek - who claims a relationship with Hyatt that enables him to sell Hyatts resale without the loss of any benefit. I wonder if there is claim is true.

You are correct about losing the ability to trade for hotel use. But, that is the only benefit that is lost. From what I learned, it wasn't really a great use of points.

You can purchase from anyone who owns a hyatt. I tried to buy my unit through a broker who claimed a relationship, but that did not pan out. I ended up purchasing my unit from a private owner, who unfortunately for them, didn't undertand how to take full benefit. Once you are an owner, you are an owner, period. So, things like making reservations, trading, etc. are all in accordance with the vacation club rules and regulations, which are the same for all.

I can't stress how pleased we are with our hyatt membership. My husband was very skeptical, and now he is thrilled, as well. The units have great trading power, also.

Tracey L.
Jan 10, 2008

Hi- I own two Hyatt timeshares. One we bought resale from an owner and one we bought from Hyatt when it was in pre-construction. The one we bought re-sale we did not get the Hyatt gold points which you can use towards hotel stays. But, it was a much better price than we could get thru Hyatt so we lost a few free days in a Hyatt hotel! The other one that we did buy directly from Hyatt we did get the Hyatt gold points which we have used for free hotel nights. We love Hyatt which is why we have two of them:) We have not had a problem trading for properties outside of the Hyatt chain. If you buy a week worth at least 1300 points, then you should not have a problem:)

Steve W.
Nov 02, 2008

I posted this to another topic earlier today, but it would seem to be appropriate for this topic too: "I do not know if there is still interest in this topic, but in case there is I will provide some input on our experience. We purchased a 2 bedroom unit at Hyatt Pinon Pointe for week 52 (a Diamond week) in 2006. We had visited Sedona previously and liked the area. Although we had no prior experience with owning a timeshare, and only one prior sales pitch (from Marriott), the Hyatt sales pitch at Sedona seemed fair. The availability of options on how to use points also seemed reasonable: within the Hyatt system, converting Hyatt Gold Passport, or depositing in Interval International. To date, we have been pleased with our Hyatt time share exchange options. So far, we have used some of our points for a Hyatt Sunset Harbor (Key West, FL) vacation in May, 2007, and will be going to the Hyatt Highlands Inn (Carmel, CA) in early December of this year (2008), and back to Sedona in late January, 2009. We also stayed at our home unit in Sedona over the 2007/2008 New Year's week (our home week). In short, we have been able to use the majority of our points for nice stays at some of the Hyatt Vacation Club Properties. We also deposited some points into Interval International, but have not yet been very successful in finding a really good use for them. Since the Interval International points expire at the end of this year, we are hoping to plan something (soon!) for a trip sometime in 2009."

George G.
Sep 14, 2009

I purchaseda Hyatt timeshare second hand and was under the impression that I was able to use the hotels, oh well I'm an idiot for thinking that would happen. The Hyatt chain is a place I would not recommend.

Tom S.

Last edited by scally on Feb 27, 2011 02:36 PM

Sep 14, 2009

scally wrote:
I purchaseda Hyatt timeshare second hand and was under the impression that I was able to use the hotels, oh well I.m an idiot for thinking that would happen. Hyatt chain is a place I would not recomend
Usuaully the only way timshare owners can reserve hotels with their timeshares is to exchagne the TS for Points in the applicable hotel chain system. (for example, Marriott owners can deposit their TS for Marriott Reward Points to be used at other Marriott Hotels. Before you become disenchanted with Hyatt, you should learn how to best use your TS. Check out the TUG Forum, www.tugbbs.comwww.tugbbs. Ask plenty of questions and you should get a better idea on what you can do.

Mike N.
Feb 10, 2010

I own at the Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel Valley and would like to rent out a couple of days. Did you have any luck in doing that?

Kimberly R.
Oct 25, 2010

Good afternoon,

Me and my wife are interested in a owning a timeshare property in Carmel CA. We wanted to use someone's name as a referral to get a better deal and the other party would also get some sort of incentive out of this. Thanks, John

John S.

Last edited by marty8084 on Oct 26, 2010 02:18 AM

Aug 17, 2014

Received a deal in the mail to go to the Hyatt in Maui. Interested, but not sure after reading some of the notes online here. Is Hyatt still under Diamond International or are they under a different name. Many of the notes are from years back. Would like to take advantage, but afraid to book airplane tickets for a family of four and then for some reason, find out we are not able to attend the time we would be able to come. ANY input greatly appreciated! Mikki California

Mikki T.

Last edited by mikkit on Aug 17, 2014 04:33 PM

Aug 20, 2014

Hello Mikki,

Not sure that I can directly answer your questions, but perhaps some of my comments will help. I will say up front that the subject is a little contorted!

We have been owners at Hyatt Pinon Pointe (Sedona, AZ) since 2006. At that time, the "Hyatt Vacation Club" (now called the "Hyatt Residence Club" or "HRC" ) was owned and operated (to the best of our knowledge) by the "Hyatt Residence Group" subsidiary of Hyatt Hotels. Hyatt Hotels was privately owned until November 2009 when the company went public; it is now listed on the NYSE under the ticker symbol "H". The "Hyatt Residence Group" has continued, until very recently, to operate the HRC properties. I am not aware that Diamond International was ever involved with HRC during this time, although I could be wrong and it is possible that Diamond was involved with one or more individual resorts. Very recently (May 2014) the "Interval Leisure Group" agreed to purchase the "Hyatt Residence Group" from Hyatt Hotels and that transaction is expected to be completed sometime later this year (2014). Hyatt has said that all HRC properties will continue to be branded as Hyatt, all Hyatt employees will remain, all HRC member benefits will remain, etc. (http://econtact.templates.cendyn.com/Cendyn/CendynHotel/2014/HyattResidenceClub/images/HyattIHGAnnouncement.pdf).

What the future holds remains to be seen, but I can say that we have been generally pleased with our HRC investment at Sedona. We originally visited that resort following an offer from Hyatt that sounds similar to the one you have for Maui. We have exchanged into several HRC resorts during the past 9 years. Earlier this year (February 2014) I updated our review of Hyatt Pinon Pointe on this site (http://www.redweek.com/resort/P5033-hyatt-pinon-pointe). That review also summarizes some of the exchanges we have made into other HRC properties, and provides some comments on general HRC features. The Maui HRC is new. We have not been there, although we hope to be able to visit sometime. Should you decide to go, please let us know how your visit went!

Best Regards, George

mikkit wrote:
Received a deal in the mail to go to the Hyatt in Maui. Interested, but not sure after reading some of the notes online here. Is Hyatt still under Diamond International or are they under a different name. Many of the notes are from years back. Would like to take advantage, but afraid to book airplane tickets for a family of four and then for some reason, find out we are not able to attend the time we would be able to come. ANY input greatly appreciated! Mikki California

George G.
Sep 23, 2015

What is the name of that person?

Barry D.
Sep 23, 2015

I have owned Hyatt for a number of years. The Hyatt inventory is not huge and they have little flexibility. I think it could be improved upon. I own with Marriott and Starwood and find they have more options. The Hyatt vacation properties are beautiful, however, as are the hotels.

Laura H.
Sep 23, 2015

What's name of broker who handles these resales & I have been told the residence club points are not valid for use in I I also? ?

Barry D.
Feb 25, 2016

We were invited to attend a sales presentation in Maui and are here now. Although the property is beautiful, but they are also very expensive. For a 2bd/2ba, middle floor, ocean view, it is $68,000 for the lowest fixed week and goes up to over a $100,000 for higher priority weeks. We will wait until they start hitting the resale market at a more reasonable rate.

Donna H.
Feb 25, 2016

We also just recently (19-28 January 2016) visited the Ka'anapali Hyatt Residence Club (HRC) and found it both beautiful and expensive. We are HRC owners at the Sedona Pinon Pointe Hyatt and exchanged into the Maui resort using points left over from 2015. The points needed to be used by the end of June 2016, or else we would have lost them! The Hyatt system has split week options for using points, and that is what we had to utilize to get 9 nights at Ka'anapali. We had 4 nights in a 2 bedroom unit on the 9th floor, followed by 5 nights in a 1 bedroom unit on the 2nd floor. All of the 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units face the ocean, and if you can get the 7th floor or higher you have a spectacular view of the ocean, over the palm trees, with the island of Lanai in the distance. Since there were only two of us, we did not need a 2 bedroom unit, but that was our only choice to string together 9 nights. However, "spending" some extra points for the 2 bedroom unit was well worth it. Our visit was during the humpback whale breeding season and there were many whales spouting, rolling over, breaching, and apparently just enjoying themselves! One person we encountered described the scene as "whale soup." Bring binoculars! There are only a few 1 bedroom units, located on the east end of the HRC building, and not all have ocean views. Fortunately we did - and the ocean view under the palm trees was pretty good too - just a little harder to see all the whales.

We also attended a sales presentation while we were there, and found the prices as expected (high). We will be interested to see how the Ka'anapali HRC units price in the secondary market - but I am not expecting many to appear for some time. Please let us (on this topic) know if you find one.

donnah508 wrote:
We were invited to attend a sales presentation in Maui and are here now. Although the property is beautiful, but they are also very expensive. For a 2bd/2ba, middle floor, ocean view, it is $68,000 for the lowest fixed week and goes up to over a $100,000 for higher priority weeks. We will wait until they start hitting the resale market at a more reasonable rate.

George G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.