Point Systems

Wyndham Fairfield VIP membership Question

Sep 18, 2008

Hi, I was just wondering if in order to gain VIP or higher status with Wyndham(able to receive 25% discount on booking 60 days or less and other benefits), do you have to buy your Fairshare Plus Points memberships through the developer or can you by them resale like here on redweek or on Ebay.

Thanks, Ryan

Ryan F.
Sep 18, 2008

my understanding is that you have to buy at least some of your points from the developer to qualify for VIP status. I've read several threads regarding VIP status and I get the feeling that the perks are not worth the extra expense.

Go to the TUG Forum (www.tugbbs.com/forums). There's a site dedicated to Wyndham; you can probably get more information there.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Sep 26, 2008 06:18 AM

Sep 18, 2008

You have to buy from the developer. However, you would be better off acquiring points on the resale market at drastically lower prices and not acquiring the developer points for VIP status. You will save thousands of dollars. You would have to vacation on 60days or less reservations for years to even break even with the added cost of developer points to achieve VIP status. Stan.

stanleyf5

Last edited by stanleyf5 on Sep 18, 2008 09:31 AM

Sep 25, 2008

Is it true that we can exchange Wyndham Points with RCI resorts for just 28000 Pts ? For any size , any time ? That is what Wyndham people told me at a sale presentation , it means with 336000 W pts I would have more than 11 RCI weeks . I find it interesting but too good to be true .

Vien L.
Sep 25, 2008

Hi. If you are flexible in your vacationing time, you can obtain 28K exchanges for much better accomodations. I have obtained a 2br in southern Florida in winter on the beach for 28k. I have obtained a 3 br. near Disney in Florida for 42K. It is easiest to do, if you make visible on line deposits, and do a lot of online searches. I have obtained a 3br. in winter in Arizona at the wonderful Camelback Resort for 105 Kpts. I have obtained a 1br in Daytona Beach Ocean front for Labor Day week and the week following for 28k each. I obtained a 2 br. in Myrtle Beach in Wyndham Tower 4 over Labor Day week this year for 77 K pts. You have to spend time searching to get the good deals. It helps if you are retired and have lots of flexibility. If you are not flexible in your vacation time, you have to be lucky. Stan.

stanleyf5

Last edited by stanleyf5 on Sep 26, 2008 03:38 PM

Sep 26, 2008

Hi, thanks for the info. I knew that points needed for RCI exchange depends on availability and time , size...But the Wyndham people at a sale presentation told me that I can exchange 28000 Wyndham points for any size , any time RCi resort. They tried to sell me a package of 336000 and said that would give me more than 11 weeks with RCI , is that true ?

Vien L.
Sep 26, 2008

vienl states in part: >> But the Wyndham people at a sale presentation told me that I can exchange 28000 Wyndham points for any size , any time RCi resort.<<

I would encourage you to ALWAYS keep in mind that in the exchange world, regardless of the particular exchange company involved, it's ultimately ALWAYS all about UNIT AVAILABILITY!

Someone has to actually DEPOSIT something before it ever becomes available to anyone else for exchange. So, to that point, the "any size, any time RCI resort" statement is absolutely, blatantly false. In prime time / prime areas (e.g., Florida Keys anytime, Gulf Coast Florida in winter months, Cape Cod summer weeks, etc.) the LEAST valuable thing any owner could ever possibly do with such a week is to "deposit for exchange". You'll only VERY rarely EVER see such weeks become available for exchange, since an owner not using such a valuable week can instead just rent it out for big bucks --- without any "roll of the dice" gamble on getting an exchange of comparable value. Compounding the problem of availability of prime weeks with RCI is the fact that RCI rents out such prime weeks themselves (in the rare instances when they get them at all) instead of making them available to members for "exchange". This is EXACTLY what the class action lawsuit filed against RCI (Murillo vs. RCI) was really all about...

In short summary, it's ALWAYS all about *AVAILABILITY* --- no matter what some lying sales weasel might tell you just to close a sale. If it ain't "available", then NO amount of points on the planet is going to actually get you in there...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 12, 2011 07:43 AM

Sep 26, 2008

It is my opinion that Kent 1193 always gives wise counsel. It is absolutely untrue that you can use 28K pts of Wydham Resorts through RCI exchanges to get anything you want at anytime Stan.

stanleyf5

Last edited by stanleyf5 on Sep 26, 2008 03:34 PM

Sep 26, 2008

I understand that I can just exchange when the unit is available. What the Wyndham sale people said was : if the unit at RCI is available ( no matter it is a studio, 1 or 2 br) , I would have it for 28K Wyndham points ! The amount of points is important to me because with 308K I'd have 11 weeks with RCI!!! Is it true ? Another question for Wyndham owners : can you exchange points for hotels ( associated to Wyndham ) such as Ramada , Wyndham, Days Inn ? I'm looking to go to Europe and as there is no TS in big cities , I'm thinking of exchanging W pts for hotels . Thanks for your opinion

Vien L.
Sep 26, 2008

The answer to the 28K exchange question is absolutely no. I am a Wyndham owner. I have tried to exchange a 105K deposit which was offline, for a unit which my online visible deposit of 105K said was available and was told no by RCI. You can exchange for 28K, but not any property in the inventory. I have heard that within 30 days or less of a unit's available week start date, you can get any property available for 28K plus the exchange fee, but I have never personally done that transaction. However, one can probably do just as well on the RCI last call listings. Now to the hotel question, you can use points for certain selected Wyndham hotels, but not all Wyndham hotels. Relative to the other hotel chains in Wyndham's portfolio, you can get a discount for a cash transaction, but cannot use your points. My opinion is that using points for a Wyndham hotel reservation is not a transaction that I would make, because I don't feel I am getting sufficient value for my points expediture. Hope this helps you. Stan.

stanleyf5

Last edited by stanleyf5 on Sep 27, 2008 06:41 PM

Sep 28, 2008

Hi Stan, Thank you very much for all info. I have doubt about what sale people told me and you confirmed it . Thanks again vien

Vien L.
Sep 28, 2008

You are welcome. Stan.

stanleyf5
Dec 02, 2008

Typically you need to by directly from Wyndham, however there are some exceptions. For example if you are already a Wyndham owner you could have your parents/siblings buy Wyndham points on the resale market and then a year later have them transfer the deed to you which would essentially wash the resale aspect and these points would count toward VIP status for you.

Mark B.
Dec 02, 2008

belanger wrote:
Typically you need to by directly from Wyndham, however there are some exceptions. For example if you are already a Wyndham owner you could have your parents/siblings buy Wyndham points on the resale market and then a year later have them transfer the deed to you which would essentially wash the resale aspect and these points would count toward VIP status for you.

voluntarily deleted reply

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 02, 2008 09:24 AM

Apr 19, 2009

I have 318000 points through resale. What is the least amount I need to pay to become a VIP member. I don't want anymore monthly fees as I already pay $139 a month.

Gary K.
Apr 21, 2009

gary1475 wrote:
I have 318000 points through resale. What is the least amount I need to pay to become a VIP member. I don't want anymore monthly fees as I already pay $139 a month.
Go to the TUG forum (www.tugbbs.com). I believe there is a thread specifically for Wyndham resorts.

Mike N.
Jul 28, 2009

I am a Wyndham VIP member with 300000 pts and the idea of selling my points has caught my eye. Is selling pts the same as selling your timeshare? Can i sell only my remaining current year points? As you can tell i dont understand what selling points if all about. Thanks for any assistance you may give.

Paul W.
Jul 28, 2009

It would be hard to sell your remaining year points for the year as Wyndham no longer lets you transfer points to other Wyndham owners. My recommendation would be to try and book a high demand week and then rent the week out.

Mark B.
Sep 03, 2009

You could, in effect, rent your points by offering to reserve something with Wyndham for someone else, tailored to their request. In other words, advertise on RedWishes that you have X number of Wyndham points and are willing to rent their use for $$ per 1000 points. You would make the reservation and set up the Guest Confirmation at whatever Wyndham resort they choose, depending on availability, of course. It would work fine if they ask you far enough ahead to get something good. Of course, lots of lookers ask in June and wonder why they can't get July 4! MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Sep 03, 2009 09:00 PM

Jul 25, 2011

Yes it is true. I myself have made several reservation like that for 2 BR and in some cases even 3BR units, at RCI gold crown resorts.

I would say to buy fairfield fareshare plus point s from the resale markets attached to the VIP membership.

Let me know if you are interested, I have 360000 points annually. I am askin gonly 15000 $ USD. Developers price is about 50000 USD for the same.

Arpan

Arpan P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.