The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Apr 01, 2020

hello deborahs258,

if you have been a TMC member for a reasonable amount of time, the answer to your comment..."I really wonder how these people who run the club live with themselves." should be obvious and come as no surprise. the unreasonable accumulation of wealth by TMC, regardless of the method, is to be expected.

"...at this time they are adhering to their normal policy and if you can't use it, you lose it..." at this very moment, the coronavirus is affecting people worldwide with sickness and death.

yes, any normal and reasonable person would expect a definite and generous relaxation of accommodation use rules/policies. however, that would involve some possible negative financial consequences for TMC; it is hard to imagine that they would let that happen. more definitively, it's called their abandonment of conscience, heart and soul, in favor of wealth accumulation, regardless of our current dire circumstances. i hope they rethink their stance and establish a humane change of heart concerning TMC accommodation use policy during these precarious and dangerous times.

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Apr 01, 2020 08:46 PM

Apr 01, 2020

My anniversary date with the Manhattan Club isn’t until June 1.Over the last three weeks I have received two statements in the mail and three phone calls from financial services. I have not responded to any. Today a new scheme from the Manhattan Club.I received a call/voicemail with a “No Caller ID”.I listened to the voicemail and once again it was the Manhattan Club requesting payment. Not only do I resent that again this year they are contacting me several months before the payment is due but during this health crisis in our country they have the audacity to still practice this type of unethical behavior.

Kevin O.
Apr 01, 2020

hello kevin,

i understand your anger and frustration at TMC's current actions that you describe here.

however, i hope it doesn't SURPRISE you that, "they have the audacity to still practice this type of unethical behavior."

this is a perfect example of their modus operandi, among many other unsavory and fraudulent actions.

kevin631 wrote:
My anniversary date with the Manhattan Club isn’t until June 1.Over the last three weeks I have received two statements in the mail and three phone calls from financial services. I have not responded to any. Today a new scheme from the Manhattan Club.I received a call/voicemail with a “No Caller ID”.I listened to the voicemail and once again it was the Manhattan Club requesting payment. Not only do I resent that again this year they are contacting me several months before the payment is due but during this health crisis in our country they have the audacity to still practice this type of unethical behavior.

Chris V.
Apr 01, 2020

Thanks Chris. No I am not surprised at all concerning the way the Manhattan Club operates. However I am disgusted that during this national crisis that they have no compassion or understanding for any owners. As we know so many businesses during this crisis are stepping up to assist their customers. Of course the Manhattan Club does not operate that way.

hello kevin,

i understand your anger and frustration at TMC's current actions that you describe here.

however, i hope it doesn't SURPRISE you that, "they have the audacity to still practice this type of unethical behavior."

this is a perfect example of their modus operandi, among many other unsavory and fraudulent actions.

kevin631 wrote:

Kevin O.

Last edited by kevin631 on Apr 01, 2020 09:48 PM

Apr 02, 2020

hello again, kevin...

"As we know so many businesses during this crisis are stepping up to assist their customers. Of course the Manhattan Club does not operate that way."

WELCOME TO THE MANHATTAN CLUB. YOU CAN ALWAYS DEPEND ON THEIR DISMISSING THE HUMAN/HUMANE TOUCH. JUST LEAVE YOUR $$$ AND/OR CREDIT CARD AT THE FRONT DESK; THEY'LL TAKE CARE OF THE REST.

kevin631 wrote:
Thanks Chris. No I am not surprised at all concerning the way the Manhattan Club operates. However I am disgusted that during this national crisis that they have no compassion or understanding for any owners. As we know so many businesses during this crisis are stepping up to assist their customers. Of course the Manhattan Club does not operate that way.

hello kevin,

kevin631 wrote:

Chris V.
Apr 02, 2020

We have been owners for the last 16 years, enjoyed TMC but now the maintenance fees are out of sight. In addition as we age, don't want to pass this albatross onto our children. We are thinking of not paying this years maintenance fee...in the hope that it will move us along on the deed back process. We just want to get out of this no longer needed obligation. Any advice?? Bob M

Robert M.
Apr 02, 2020

I too receive these deceitful calls. Paying the TMC early is dumb. Read your contract, know your date due, and if you decide to pay, pay it per the contract.

Robert R.
Apr 02, 2020

hello robert, our situation is similar to yours regarding TMC ownership and passing it on to our children. i "sort of" did some checking into the issue that you dubbed "an albatross." although this isn't a legal interpretation, it borders on a distinct possibility: to me, it makes sense that our children can refuse to accept taking ownership of TMC. it sounds simplistic but probable and possible. for legally reliable information, it would be wise to consult with an attorney concerning this scenario. consider using attorney zimmerman or another attorney of your choice for this purpose

zimmerman's contact information-----

E-MAIL JMZ@ZIMLLP.COM

Jean-Marc Zimmerman Zimmerman Law Group 233 Watchung Fork Westfield, NJ 07090 Telephone: (908) 768-6408 Fax: (908) 935-0751

robertm2131 wrote:
We have been owners for the last 16 years, enjoyed TMC but now the maintenance fees are out of sight. In addition as we age, don't want to pass this albatross onto our children. We are thinking of not paying this years maintenance fee...in the hope that it will move us along on the deed back process. We just want to get out of this no longer needed obligation. Any advice?? Bob M

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Apr 02, 2020 07:16 PM

Apr 03, 2020

Hi Chris...have you stopped paying your maintenance fees? Bob M

Robert M.
Apr 03, 2020

good morning, robert m:

i will say both yes and no, and leave it for you to interpret that statement. there are too many non-owner "fishers," perhaps, dare i say, from TMC management checking this site regularly, whose job it is to benefit TMC with fragments of information that they can gather and use against us. i personally leave payment issues to property managers and other professionals.

payment or non-payment of maintenance fees needs to be based on individuals' situations, many of which are very diverse and require different conclusions and actions.

i don't mean to sound vague, but my suggestion to you is to seek appropriate professional advice concerning your decision about YOUR maintenance fee payment and other LEGAL TMC issues.

also, decide how firm your decision is about accepting TMC's farcical buy-back offer. once you proceed and complete acceptance, you will have no claim to any future legal retribution which might be sought with the probability of winning a case against TMC.

robertm2131 wrote:
Hi Chris...have you stopped paying your maintenance fees? Bob M

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Apr 03, 2020 07:59 PM

Apr 03, 2020

What happens if you stop paying Do we need to pay interest or pay it back Will it hasten the buyback

Harriet R.
Apr 03, 2020

Listen to Chris and me about consulting an attorney re: children inheriting. I inherited 2 timeshares and it became a nightmare on top of nightmare. Consult an attorney who is versed in real estate and time shares. It depends on the State laws of a given State. My mother lived in VA, I lived in MA and the timeshare is in NYC. Some states say an inheritor can opt out of certain aspects of a will, but I was told I could either accept everything I inherited or nothing (VA) if I didn't want the timeshares....I was not able to choose to opt out of the timeshares and inherit everything else. A couple of years ago I spoke to a couple from South Carolina who said they were able to construct their will, such that when they died, the timeshare went away somehow. So, you really have to get some solid legal advice from a qualified, in this area of real estate, attorney. I got bad advice from three attorneys in NY and VA.

Dks

Last edited by deborahs528 on Apr 03, 2020 09:19 AM

Apr 03, 2020

harrietr2 wrote:
What happens if you stop paying Do we need to pay interest or pay it back Will it hasten the buyback

In the past, some people on this forum have shared that they stopped paying fees and TMC tried to ruin their credit. Once they reported the situation (lawsuit/fraud) to the credit bureau their negative rating was reversed or so they said. Whether this is true or not, don't know...I guess you could check with the credit bureaus first, let them know about the suit/fraud/that you want to stop paying under the circumstances-that you were defrauded and have the NYAG's suit as proof, and they could tell you up front, what you might face?

Dks
Apr 03, 2020

I received all the papers today for the give back. Has anyone signed them and relieved themselves of this nightmare? Or is it yet another scam from TMC?

August G.
Apr 03, 2020

hello august g4,

the scam and fraud by TMC began with lies told to prospective purchasers at the infamous 2nd-floor sales office. immediately after the sale to us unsuspecting buyers, the fraud kicked in and has continued to this day with the exorbitant maintenance fees (that we were originally told would rise minimally over the years....as if a 4 to 500% increase meets the definition of "minimally.")

be assured that the buy-back is a sham/fraud considering that if one paid, for example, $50,000+ for one week at TMC, and their artificial buy-back worth is $100, there's something ROTTEN IN NEW YORK CITY. once individual buy- (or give) backs are complete, the new resale value of our former property immediately increases even beyond our $50,000+++original purchase price in the hands of TMC/BLUEGREEN, THE NEW DEED HOLDER AFTER THE GIVE-BACKS.

keep in mind that one of the lies laid on us at the sales pitch was that our TMC real estate investment would, without question, increase and that purchasing would indeed be a wonderful value-increasement investment. by all means, the value of the property has substantially increased, but not to owners' benefit. a $100 give-back payment obviates that premise. on the other hand, the current value, given new york city's property worth, has skyrocketed to the benefit of TMC/BLUEGREEN, especially having to pay only $100 for it via the give-back policy.

to answer your question in my opinion, is a resounding -----yes, the give-back is another sham and, lest we be remiss by leaving out a verified additional definition, a MEGA- FRAUD as well.

augustg4 wrote:
I received all the papers today for the give back. Has anyone signed them and relieved themselves of this nightmare? Or is it yet another scam from TMC?

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Apr 04, 2020 10:37 AM

Apr 03, 2020

augustg4 wrote:

TMC first contacted us in Oct 2018 and we told them we were interested. The paper work arrived in May 2019 and we received the $100 in Nov 2019. The records still haven't been updated at ACRIS. I don't think our financial loss was a high as others. We considered joining the lawsuit, but the $$ were hard to find and that could still take a long time. We feel such a huge sense of relief!

Louise A.
Apr 04, 2020

Thanks Louise. Did you have a lawyer look at it? I don't see where it states back fees are forgiven. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

August G.
Apr 04, 2020

Giving the timeshare back for $100 is a scam. I beg owners not to sign the documents. I hope everyone takes legal action and join Jean Zimmerman’s lawsuit and hopefully get fair retribution. If not, I’m going to stop paying the maintenance fees and leave the time share to the state of NY. I can’t tell you how upset I am over the increased Maintance fees and that our investment would be worth more than what we paid. $100 is for from the $42k I paid and the $900 yearly maintenance is now $3800 !!!!!!!

augustg4 wrote:
Thanks Louise. Did you have a lawyer look at it? I don't see where it states back fees are forgiven. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Gary P.
Apr 04, 2020

augustg4 wrote:

In June of 2014 I gave back one of two timeshares I inherited. I simply could not afford to pay fees on both. I signed the papers in June of 2014. I did not have to continue paying fees. I did not get the $100 dollars until just a few months ago in 2019. Took over 5 years of me badgering them. And no paperwork to support this. I was told I could look on ACRIS to see it was no longer in my name. I urge you to make copies of any paperwork you receive because you are not likely to get any from them. Another scam??? Who knows? Cover yourself with copies of any paperwork sent to you and read thoroughly.

Dks
Apr 04, 2020

gary p,

i agree with you completely that the give-back for $100 is a scam (and don't leave out fraud!)

herein lies the major problem/issue for so many unfortunate owners: they simply can't bear the financial distress and stress of the exorbitant and unrealistic (fraudulently and exponentially increased over time by 4 or 500%) maintenance fees. they simply can't afford this unexpected, increased expense. for this reason, they are willing to forego their original purchase investment in order to eliminate the unaffordable (to them) maintenance fee expenses. this scenario is not only a sham and a fraud, but sinful and unconscionable as well, both of which are easily and obviously ignored by TMC/BLUEGREEN citing the financial greed factor.

it would be so beneficial if all owners could hold off on TMC's "generous" give-back offer and take legal action with zimmerman's lawsuit. however, that involves an additional financial outlay, impossible for many of our financially unfortunate owners.

just a comment on possible actions considered by owners vs TMC: JUST DO WHAT YOU SEE FIT TO DO (OR NOT TO DO) WITHOUT ANNOUNCING IT HERE ON REDWEEK. leave TMC in the dark about our (your) strategies, both personal and legal. they peruse this site regularly to gather information that they can put together and use against us and our efforts at retribution. state what you want about TMC's actions against us owners, but say nothing about how we will counter their continuing fraud and sham. i have learned this from experience here, and have stopped "giving my hand away." TMC is fully aware that we are not sitting idly by while they continue to royally screw us and that we have established legal actions to combat their fraud. it is the descriptive strategies that are necessary to keep from their radar. we need to keep many steps ahead of them in thought and action. as an old saying goes, "loose lips sink ships!"

stay healthy and be well during these trying times.

chris

garyp151 wrote:
Giving the timeshare back for $100 is a scam. I beg owners not to sign the documents. I hope everyone takes legal action and join Jean Zimmerman’s lawsuit and hopefully get fair retribution. If not, I’m going to stop paying the maintenance fees and leave the time share to the state of NY. I can’t tell you how upset I am over the increased Maintance fees and that our investment would be worth more than what we paid. $100 is for from the $42k I paid and the $900 yearly maintenance is now $3800 !!!!!!!

augustg4 wrote:

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Apr 04, 2020 09:32 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.