Timeshare Companies

wyndham resorts vs Hilton Grand Vacation club

Feb 15, 2012

I am considering buying resale at wyndham or HGVC. The deals are much better at wyndham almost too good>I understand that Hilton is using their right to rebuy their timeshares and Wyndham is not that why their prices are so low. I am afraid of Wyndham if I should want to get ride of the shares because of the maint. fee going up that I would be stuck. Anyone have thoughts on this. I also worry with both about using points to get into places indemand. John D

John D.
Nov 12, 2017

Go with your gut my friend..

Thomas B.
Nov 13, 2017

1. Maintenance fees will increase within ANY and EVERY timeshare system; there are no differences among systems (or non-chain independents) regarding that indisputable fact. Some people suggest expecting a 4-6% increase per year, on average.

2. HGVC ownerships tend to retain some resale value, Wyndham ownerships do not. However, if you buy Wyndham on the resale market for pennies, does that really matter?

3. Wyndham's "Ovation" program (adopted in December 2015 and still in place) provides an "exit ramp", in the event that you want to quickly (and for free) bail out later. However, not all Wyndham products are accepted for "deedback" under Ovation and the entire program itself could be terminated at any time, without advance notice, at Wyndham's whim.

4. Have you looked at the available properties within each system at locations in which you'd likely or potentially be interested? That examination might sway you one way or another. For example, Wyndham timeshare properties are virtually non-existent anywhere in the entirety of coastal SW Florida (although a brand new Wyndham property in Clearwater Beach will reportedly have SOME timeshare units available).

5. Wyndham's computer and reservation system has been completely screwed up for months now, although that unfortunate and ongoing debacle will presumably get corrected at SOME point in the future.

No recommendation or expression of preference is intended here. I don't own within either system (although I previously owned a "converted" fixed week within Wyndham). I am merely offering a few random items of "food for thought" for your consideration. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 13, 2017 01:56 PM

May 10, 2021

wow, you seem to know alot about time shares... can you help me out with my query? i own some HGV points, and i'm getting good use out of it, and i would like to add some more points... i would like to get a "second handed" deed here at redweek... my question is, if I own one week in vegas, and i want to buy lets say 7000 points in florida, will they allow the points to merge and join into ONE account? or will they be separate?

Jieun R.
May 11, 2021

Are you saying that if I own a timeshare and my maintenance fees are not locked in? My maintenance fees can continue to go up?

Thomas B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.