Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is there any EFFECTIVE way to dump a wyndham timeshare...???

Jul 13, 2012

I've got 105k EOY points that i've never used. I bought it from a charity when it was fairfield. Anyway...I just want to dump it. I've had it forsale on some sites...including redweek...but no takers. I've seen a couple adds for law firms that will dump it for you, but I figure if they can do it then there has to be a fairly simple way to do it myself.

Dave L.
Jul 13, 2012

Be very careful. There are scammers out there that claim they can sell your points. The first rule is NEVER PAY ANY MONEY UP FRONT. They will claim that there are no up front fees but then somewhere along the line they will ask you to pay an " appraisal fee " or " docking fee " or something else they might call it. It's just a scam to get money from you. If you want to sell the points then list them for sale at Redweek, Ebay and or any site that deals with timeshares.

Don P.
Jul 14, 2012

dave1108 wrote:
I've got 105k EOY points that i've never used. I bought it from a charity when it was fairfield. Anyway...I just want to dump it. I've had it forsale on some sites...including redweek...but no takers. I've seen a couple adds for law firms that will dump it for you, but I figure if they can do it then there has to be a fairly simple way to do it myself.

If you just want to be rid of your points there are Bargain Basement timeshares here at Redweek and at www.tugbbs.com for such ads.

R P.
Jul 31, 2012

We've called two different companies and told them we can't afford it any more and they took them back, no questions asked. We lost $$ and weeks, but we don't have to pay for them anymore.

Pam J.
Aug 01, 2012

pamj77 wrote:
We've called two different companies and told them we can't afford it any more and they took them back, no questions asked. We lost $$ and weeks, but we don't have to pay for them anymore.

Some resorts and timeshare corporations will take deedbacks however you would have to contact Wyndham directly .... I've never heard of Wyndham taking deedbacks.

R P.
Aug 03, 2012

saraw82 wrote:
Please email me about the points

There's no way she can email you via Redweek's forums unless you post your email address .... I would suggest NOT doing that on any public forum.

R P.
Aug 05, 2012

you might try posting them on TUG2.NET they have a bargain basement sales section i had good luck with.

Carl N.
Aug 06, 2012

Did you have any success with this? I have a tshare I need to dump too.

Carolyn G.
Aug 06, 2012

carolyng128 wrote:

If the resort doesn't take deedbacks then the next best thing you can do is to try giving it away on Redweek's bargain basement or www.tugbbs.com bargain basement or via other media source, and for extra incentive offer to pay this years maintenance fee and all closing costs depending on how desperate you are to rid yourself of your timeshare.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 06, 2012 06:42 AM

Aug 07, 2012

carolyng128 wrote:

I was able to give away a south africa unit i have owned since 1999... it was my first TS and i bought it off a place on TUG2.net that was selling them in the late 90's.

I paid the upcoming MF and handled all the paper work.. which with them is less than state side..

They are share properties so all i had to do was transfer the shares to new owners.

Will giving away a week work for everyone..?? some yes some no, depending on where the unit is and time frame of week usage.

With wyndham you are selling or giving away points in most cases so the time frame is not an issue.

good luck.

Carl N.
Aug 07, 2012

1.) Read your contract. See what it says about foreclosure. What State's law governs? Usually stated where resort is located. States are either judicial foreclosure (lawsuit filed) or non-judicial foreclosure (posted for foreclosure and called at a Trustee's sale) . 2. Call resort or its mgt. head and ask about giving it back to them, no recourse. May be a "deed in lieu of foreclosure" Same as all the folks up side down in their homes are giving them back to WF, BOA or Fannie Mae, etc. 3. Stop paying. Eventually they will foreclose on TS unit and take it back. Need to know what to expect see above, judicial vs. non-judicial. May get "dinged" on a credit report, for a defaulted account, but only if their policy is to report. 4. put on one of the ebay's auctions for $1, or one of the charity auctions. may have to pay closing costs andor resort transfer fees.

Ellen F.
Aug 07, 2012

For god's sake, the problem is timeshare ownership is worthless! Less than worthless.

The solution is a change in the laws. When timeshare laws are harmonized with other real estate laws this will all change.

Witness you cannot get rid of a timeshare, even free. Even paying someone to take it never works. The OP is trying to figure out how to get rid of one! At the same time they are pitching them at presentations getting others to buy. Unbelievable.

On most real estate the lien on the real estate is confined to the real estate. There is no deficiency. If timeshare were like that and you could just walk away you would become a valuable owner they would have to satisfy, rather than what you are now, a pawn in their sleazy game. The timeshare resort would have to keep you there paying. Bend over backwards to make you happy.

As it is you are just a cash cow. Think about it: They have 500 units, divided up into 50 weeks a year. 25,000 separate owners, why should they care about you? You are one of 25,000 and if you don't pay your maintenance they will turn you over to collections. You are worthless.

If they couldn't do that you would gain in value to them.

That's what needs to be changed.

Steve W.
Aug 23, 2012

I do not own a timeshare. But my grandparents did. They went through a lot of resale companies that took their money and had no results. They found a company on the internet called Cancel By Owner LLC. They told my grandparents that they could get them out of their timeshare and would fight for the money they had invested into the timeshare. Nine months later and they no longer have a contract. They did not get their money back because they had the timeshare for so long but just no longer having the maintenance fees or taxes makes them happy and takes a lot off of stress off of their shoulders. They did dispute the resale company though and got them back what they had put into that. The process of canceling was a little stressful but now that its over they're very happy.

Danielle D.
Aug 23, 2012

Sounds like a scam to me.

Don P.
Aug 23, 2012

It did to me too. I was very surprised with how much they kept in contact with my grandparents. It sucks that they didn't get their money back from the timeshare, but the contract was cancelled and they were refunded from one of the resale companies. So overall I put a check in the win column.

Danielle D.
Aug 23, 2012

The part hat I question in your post is that you say they received a refund from a resale company. Myself and most others in here will doubt that part. Nobody refunds money after a sale or resale unless it's in the recission period. It still sounds like a scam to me after hearing that information.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Aug 23, 2012 04:39 PM

Aug 24, 2012

danielled120 wrote:
I do not own a timeshare. But my grandparents did. They went through a lot of resale companies that took their money and had no results. They found a company on the internet called Cancel By Owner LLC. They told my grandparents that they could get them out of their timeshare and would fight for the money they had invested into the timeshare. Nine months later and they no longer have a contract. They did not get their money back because they had the timeshare for so long but just no longer having the maintenance fees or taxes makes them happy and takes a lot off of stress off of their shoulders. They did dispute the resale company though and got them back what they had put into that. The process of canceling was a little stressful but now that its over they're very happy.

Typical shill ..... there's no way on earth that any entity can get someone out of a signed legal contract unless, as Don stated, it is within the rescission period .... the rest of your post concerning a resale company dispute makes no sense.

R P.
Sep 06, 2012

jayjay wrote:
pamj77 wrote:

Some resorts and timeshare corporations will take deedbacks however you would have to contact Wyndham directly .... I've never heard of Wyndham taking deedbacks.

My aunt recently got her Wyndham taken back, at a significant loss to her. Her accountant and her attorney both told her to ignore Wyndham's insistence that she owed them money. In the end Wyndham took back the deed and let her go without any credit damage at all. I think she had significantly more points than 100K and she'd been with Wyndham for 25 years or something, though. Never hurts to ask, either way.

Sze P.
Aug 18, 2015

Don't fall for their SCAM !! All they are doing is getting your upfront money with claims they can get you out of your timeshare. I have reported them to Redweek to have their post removed. NEVER pay anyone money upfront to get you out of your timeshare even a phony law firm SCAM !! The newest scam in here if phony law firms and paralegals.

Don P.
Dec 10, 2015

What are those company names? I am looking to get rid of the timeshare after having learned they really aren't a benefit to my family.

pamj77 wrote:

Jeremy A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.