Timeshare Exchanges

Wyndham Is breaking my financial back`

Nov 04, 2014

A deed back is when the resort agrees to take back your timeshare. Once you meet all their requirements you just summit a quit claim to the county clerk and you transfer ownership back to the resort. You have to be current on all your maintenance fees and assessments. Some resorts want you to pay the next years fees and taxes to give them time to resell the unit. Contact your home resort and see if they will work with you. Good luck.

Don P.
Feb 12, 2015

Hmm- I am a timeshare owner at Wyndham and Diamond and I think the two cannot be compared. I love Diamond and do not ever feel that I was mislead. The sales person has become a great friend of mine and I do not keep purchsing beyond my means! I know for a fact they have packages that they recommend for new owners that are less than $20K!

Lisa L.
Feb 21, 2015

What was reply

Robert C.
Mar 13, 2015

Hello, I read some of these posts and can relate wholeheartedly. I hope that the info. I share here will help at least one person out there from making the same mistakes I did. Very briefly, my husband and I purchased a "vacation ownership" in 2003 when Wyndham was called Fairfield Resorts. The maintenance fees kept increasing but the value and benefit and the measly 52,000 points/year we purchased only decreased over time. We were young, dumb and naive. We quickly paid off the loan because of the high interest rate and we later paid 2 separate timeshare companies to help us get rid of it. We lost thousands of dollars and faith in mankind. The bottom line is, NEVER pay any company to sell your timeshare for you, they are worthless, plain and simple. Go on Ebay.com and see for yourself. I recommend that if you still owe money on your timeshare, either listen to others to figure out how to maximize what you bought or do what you can to pay off your loan quickly, use your tax refund if you have to! Or pay someone who can actually benefit from it by paying a title company to transfer ownership. Anyway, last year, we got so fed up that we called their customer service line and asked if they would take the contract back. Lo and behold, they actually said yes!! Guess this is the "deed back" process others reference here. I thought my husband was pulling my leg, but I swear to everything I own, a few weeks later, in September 2014, we received a letter from Wyndham with instructions on what to do to transfer ownership back to Wyndham. (Basically, just get some pages notarized, other than that, I did not have to pay any fees to do this) I sent it back on October 7th and never received another maintenance bill since then. I called today (March 13th, 2015) and spoke to a rep in their title ownership department and she confirmed that we indeed, no longer own our contract and therefore, will never have to pay another maintenance fee ever again! Time to celebrate!

If you want to contact me, I am a REAL person, please reply to this topic. I will tell anyone who will listen, to do what we did and get rid of their timeshare once and for all. Thank you for reading my story.

Caren R.

Last edited by carenr11 on Mar 13, 2015 11:20 AM

Mar 13, 2015

I have been telling everyone about deed backs for years now. I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 that way. There are a few points first. You need to contact your home resort and talk to the person who handles those transactions. It may take a few calls to locate the right person. You may need to explain that you are going to get the timeshare out of your name with or without their assistance and that it is in their best interest to take it back.

Second you need to be current in all maintenance fees and assessments. They may also require you to pay the next years fees but that is a small price to pay to rid yourself of the ever increasing maintenance fees and assessments. Follow the instructions and complete all paperwork and return it to the resort. You should also ask for a copy of the quit claim deed that is filed with the county clerks office. You can also obtain a copy from the clerks office yourself.

The entire process is quick and efficient if everyone does their part. It's amazing that people will spend hours a day on facebook and texting to kill time but not put in the effort to rid themselves of an unwanted timeshare. That's what keeps the scammers in business. It may not work for every resort but it's definitely worth pursuing as a first option.

Like Carenr11 stated.... NEVER pay anyone money upfront to get rid of your timeshare.

Don P.
Jun 09, 2015

Hello i have a deeded time share in Toronto Canada and we live in Canada its carriage hills resort was a shell resort now its Wyndham, We have it now 15 years and cant pay the yearly fees gone from $450.00 to 1055,00 year 2015 i tried to sell or give it away no luck is there anything you can tell me to help me to give it back. Thanks

Ron T.
Jun 11, 2015

Have you tried contacting the resort, explaining your situation, and asked if it would take your unit back?

If that does not work, try advertising here on RedWeek's Bargain Basement that you want to give your unit away and that you will even pay closing costs. But never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare.

Lance C.
Jun 12, 2015

Thanks Lance

i have sent e.mails with no reply yet.I am going to join red week and try to give it away its week 12 and with shell points.

Ron T.
Jul 14, 2015

Just walk away from it. They will usually call and ask why you stopped paying and offer to take it back if you just sign it over to them. Yes you will lost what you got in it but will be free of it.

Ted H.
Jul 14, 2015

I was a timeshare owner at Diamond Resorts until I was laid off from my job. When I couldn't make the payment anymore I called them. They ask if I would sing the place back over to them and I agreed. I lost what I had put into it but was happy to walk away from it. No bank or credit card company would do that. They sent bill collectors after me even after I agreed to pay a set amount they stated.

Ted H.
Aug 15, 2015

Just DO NOT get sucked into these agencies that say they can get you out of your timeshare, or sell it for you. Be especially afraid of BUYATIMESHRE.COM. They ripped me off for $1000 and did nothing for me.

Nancy W.
Sep 01, 2015

We are very interested in your experience. We are in Toronto and own two Carriage Hills intervals that we would like to be done with. Is it true we can "deed back" these units to Wyndham? Does it work in Canada?

Mike D.
Sep 02, 2015

miked700 wrote:
Is it true we can "deed back" these units to Wyndham? Does it work in Canada?

Contact either Wyndham's corporate office or the Carriage Hill resort and ask. You can deed these back only if the resort agrees. It can't be done unilaterally.

Lance C.
Sep 04, 2015

Wyndham's resorts are fantastic! However, if you end up owning more points than you can use the annual cost can be a heavy burden. Renting reservations is a great way to try to recover some of your maintenance fees. If you don't have the time and patience to do it yourself, a rental broker can help. The most important thing to remember, is that you NEVER pay any type of upfront or advance fee! A legitimate broker earn a commission from the rental price, and is only paid when the owner gets paid!

Susan A.

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 04, 2015 08:42 AM

Sep 15, 2015

You are stuck with your losses so far but if they wont take the deed back try giving it away. Join TUG ( http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php? ) -its free & there are literally thousands of people on the forums to answer questions. There is a place for (with full instructions on how to) give away timeshares and tons of other great information. Costs nothing to join to read all the info & ask questions on the forum, or pay $15/yr for exclusive stuff (private trades with other members...) ~Diane

Diane M.
Apr 01, 2016

donp196, I would be very interested in how you went about with the "Deed Back" process. We have two timeshares. The first, that we have owned for many years and Wyndham took over most of the Resort but not our's so we get treeated like bastard children. The second one was through creative deception form a company that promised us we would be able to convert our first one to points, along with the second one, and sell the ponts. Yes we were fooled and now we own two! and don't want any. Both are long, paid in full.

Sean B.
Apr 01, 2016

I contacted the resorts and made sure I got a hold of the right person that handles ownerships and titles. I explained to them that I was going to get rid of my timeshares with or without their cooperation and that it was in their best interest to work with me. They both agreed and the process was quick and inexpensive. I was up to date on my maintenance fees and assessments. I just paid a minimal fee for processing the paperwork and it was done in less that thirty days. I even sent gift cards to the people that processes the transaction for me when it was over. I was prepared to stand my ground and I was going to get the titles out of my name if they didn't work with me.

I just read an article in Timesharing Today where a letter writer gave his story about getting rid of his timeshare recently . He contacted the resort and told them that he no longer wanted his timeshare and asked them to take it back through a deed back. They refused and he told then that he was not going to pay his maintenance fees anymore and that they could take him to court . He stated that he didn't care if they sent a collection agency after him. You have the right to notify them not to contact you and if they do you can sue them for thousands of dollars for each violation. He stood his ground. The resort eventually contacted him and agreed to take the unit back through a deed back. They realized it was less expensive to work with him then spend thousands of dollars in court costs and lost maintenance fees .

Most people are intimidated by the big corporations but they come to their senses when they are stood up to and they realize what's in their best financial interest.

I'm just passing on our stories and you have to decide what is best for yourself. Good luck and let us know if you successfully get rid of your timeshares.

Don P.
Jul 12, 2016

Stay as far away from Wyndham as possible. I paid for years and when I went thru a bad time in my life they did not care and would not help me in anyway. So bottom line don't buy anything that has Wyndham on it.(

Raymond F.
Nov 21, 2017

Hi, I need help selling my wyndham membership. How do I do it?

Sheyla C.
Nov 21, 2017

sheylac wrote:
Hi, I need help selling my wyndham membership. How do I do it?

Is it a travel club membership or is it a deeded timeshare? Make sure you know exactly what you have so that any potential buyers or takers will know what they could be getting. Have you tried contacting Wyndham's Ovation program where they are taking a selected number of units back? There's a pinned thread in these forums with directions on how to do this.

If you own a deeded timeshare, you can also try listing your unit for sale or giveaway here on RedWeek. You can also try other web sites such as My Resort Network, E-Bay, or Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG").

But whatever you do, never ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare as that is almost always a scam.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.