Ask RedWeek

Want to buy Four Season Aviara

Apr 25, 2014

Help please

I wonder why the price of this place is going down, and some are starting from $1000. Is it because the maintenance fee is so high? The owner who isn't using their week actually can't make any profit renting this out?

Anyone know what is the success rate of renting out a week from FS Aviara? In case am not going, I wonder if I will earn enough to cover maintenance fee.

Thank you

Chadapim U.
Apr 25, 2014

chadapimu wrote:
Help please

I wonder why the price of this place is going down, and some are starting from $1000. Is it because the maintenance fee is so high? The owner who isn't using their week actually can't make any profit renting this out?

Anyone know what is the success rate of renting out a week from FS Aviara? In case am not going, I wonder if I will earn enough to cover maintenance fee.

Thank you

There could be many reasons why someone is willing to sell cheap (ie: doesn't travel any longer, life circumstances have changed, health issues, financial issues, tired of paying ever rising yearly maintenance fees etc). I have no idea what maintenance fees are for FS Aviara, but it's not a given that any timeshare week can be rented out (check rentals for FS Aviara here on Redweek). It looks like most weeks are floating weeks with floating units (not the same unit each year).

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 25, 2014 08:07 AM

Jun 19, 2014

I do not own a timeshare, but rent one several times a year. One company I rent timeshares from is Tri-West timeshares. I have had excellent luck with renting from them and have gotten some good bargains through them. They currently have 4 and 1/2 pages of Four Seasons Aviara listed for rent ( out of 14 total pages of rentals). I see this amount of excess rental inventory regularly for this specific timeshare property. The rentals run from $2300-3300 a week depending on the specific week. Were I wishing to buy into this property, this would raise a huge red flag for me. More due diligence than usual would be warranted to figure out why there is so much rental availability at this property.

Patti M.
Jun 19, 2014

Tri-West just specializes in the resort. That is why they have so many rentals listed.

The ones you see for sale that are in the $1000 are the gold season ones. They do not include summer. The MF's are around $2500 so it is difficult to even break even. Platinum weeks go for more but the season is a little longer than the actual summer. If you own 2 or more weeks that you can book concurrently then you can reserve starting at 13 months before the first week booked. If you only own one week you can reserve starting at 12 months prior. Unlike Marriott who holds 50% of the inventory for the 12 month mark, this is not the case at Aviara. It is almost impossible to get a July week reserved as an owner if you don't own 3 or more weeks. Most 2 week owners are shut out and 1 week owners usually can only get early June or late August.

Tracey S.
Jun 20, 2014

I think you answered your own question. Why buy it when you have been able to sucessfully rent it for years without obligating yourself to ever increasing maintenance fees and assessments. Someday your life may change and you will want to get rid of your timeshare and you will find like a lot of other people have that it is difficult to impossible to rid yourself of your ownership.

Do your homework and make the right decission.

patti387 wrote:
I do not own a timeshare, but rent one several times a year. One company I rent timeshares from is Tri-West timeshares. I have had excellent luck with renting from them and have gotten some good bargains through them. They currently have 4 and 1/2 pages of Four Seasons Aviara listed for rent ( out of 14 total pages of rentals). I see this amount of excess rental inventory regularly for this specific timeshare property. The rentals run from $2300-3300 a week depending on the specific week. Were I wishing to buy into this property, this would raise a huge red flag for me. More due diligence than usual would be warranted to figure out why there is so much rental availability at this property.

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.