Timeshare Companies

Wyndham's new "Ovation" program offers exit solutions for their owners... interested?

Mar 23, 2018

It you talked to a real ovation spokesperson at Wyndham, it is not a scam this time; we gave back 1,000,000 points, got rid of our $6000 plus annual maintenance fee, and received 1,000,000 limited use points for each of the next 3 years. Hard to believe, I know, but this exit solution is real.

Gary B.
Mar 23, 2018

No, it is NOT a scam. Read through all the comments on this thread. It’s legitimate.

You can’t sell your points (THAT would likely be someone pitching you a scam), but you can get rid of them for free and stop paying those maintenance fees.

Brian T.
Mar 23, 2018

jozsefr wrote:
This is just another SCAM from Wyndham!!! / I just called the phone number and "Rosa" informed me Wyndham willing to take back all our paid contract FOR FREE!!! / The cheapest purchase from Wyndham, what i heard of is around $17,000.00, most of us paid way more than that, and Wyndham's "exit solution" is to graciously take it back for free????? / Sorry but in my opinion this is just another SCAM.

I really hate defending Wyndham (and their predecessor, Fairfield), but in this case I must. First, I ask you to look up the definition of "scam." The Ovation program -- a no fuss, no muss TAKE-BACK program -- is pretty transparent and just doesn't fit the definition of "scam" or "swindle." Second, if you don't like giving your points back and getting out from under your maintenance fees, just try selling your points yourself. Go ahead. Just try. See whether the remote possibility of getting a few pennies a point makes you feel better.

Stu M.
Mar 23, 2018

jozsefr wrote:
This is just another SCAM from Wyndham!!!

I just called the phone number and "Rosa" informed me Wyndham willing to take back all our paid contract FOR FREE!!!

The cheapest purchase from Wyndham, what i heard of is around $17,000.00, most of us paid way more than that, and Wyndham's "exit solution" is to graciously take it back for free?????

Sorry but in my opinion this is just another SCAM.

It's NOT a scam. I gave back million-and-a-half points and relieved myself of several thousand bucks in annual maintenance fees. I'm in the first of my three years being able to use that many points with no fees of any kind. How I got into having to pay huge maintenance fees might be considered a weakness for their sales pitch. Probably right. But now I can use my former maintenance fee payments to rent motels wherever I want. I won't pay a lot more money doing it that way, either.

You surely don't have to give back (free) your points. But as long as you keep them, you WILL have to keep paying maintenance fees. I have not heard of any of the firms that offer to get you out of your timeshare obligations for a fee actually being of benefit to the owners. If anyone has a positive report on those, I would be interested to hear it.

Jim S.
Mar 23, 2018

Hi Garyb, Briant, Markl, and Jims. All your response's sounding like a true Wyndham employee....

Just for your information Webster's definition of scam is: a dishonest way to make money by deceiving people, or to deceive and take money from (someone), etc......but maybe a ripoff is a better word....

If you really would have 1000000, (or more than a million) points you would need to pay off $200000-$250000, and you try to tell $6000 yearly is bothering you? Did you know 80% of this country has that (or lower amount)as of mortgage for their whole life for their house? This is a property (dead) and as all property comes with fees, taxes etc. I do nor really bothered by the maintenance fees we are bothered by the dishonest way this company start to behave, the mess in their financial systems, records. The real reason why i call it scam because if somebody selling you something for (let say average) $22000/100000 points, and the same company when need to take it back says it worth $0.....maybe you see the point. This "company" will resell your "supposed" returned points (deed's) to other people for event more money than they sold to you.

Is that sound fair to you? it sounds suspiciously like the first Webster definition.......

and again Wyndham employees do not reply disguised as a rest of us, if you would like a Motel as vacation you would not buy a vacation resort apartments (points) for several hundred thousand dollars ..... so please leave this place for the real timeshare owners

thank you

Jozsef R.
Mar 23, 2018

I understand the frustration you're feeling. There are many people who feel like you after they purchased from the developer for tens of thousands of dollars and then found out some time later that it is worth a pittance on the resale market.

If you feel you can get some money for it by selling it, then you are free to do so. Just don't, in your determination to get a lot of money for it, fall for any of these resale scams. They love to prey on people like you who are absolutely determined that their unit has a lot of resale value.

And the reason that "this 'company' will resell your 'supposed' returned points (deed's) to other people for event more money than they sold to you" is because it has the marketing tools to do so. If you want, you can try to use the same method of selling your unit as Wyndham did selling to you, but I don't think you have the tools and deep pockets to do so.

I'm not trying to sound uncaring or like I'm wagging my finger at you in a condescending manner. I'm just trying to help you avoid losing more money to a scam or "lose" more money paying maintenance fees for something that you appear to no longer want.

Lance C.
Mar 24, 2018

jozsefr wrote:
The real reason why i (sic) call it [a] scam [is] because if somebody selling you something for (let (sic) say average) $22000/100000 points, and the same company when need to take it back says (sic) it (sic) worth $0.....maybe you see the point. This "company" will resell your "supposed" returned points (deed's (sic)) to other people for event (sic) more money than they sold to you (sic). / Is (sic) that sound (sic) fair to you? it sounds suspiciously like the first Webster definition.......

I guess you also believe that it's not "fair" that when you drive a new car off the dealer's lot it's "worth" is 20% or so less than what you paid, instantly, and that if you keep the old bus too long all you'll get is the junkman's price per pound.

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Mar 24, 2018 02:46 PM

Mar 24, 2018

Not cool jozsefr. Read my post on January 22, 2018. I watched my mother get scammed out of over $5000 trying to 'sell' her Wyndham time share points. Groups claiming she could get a certain amount of guaranteed money back for an up front 'marketing' payment of only $1800 or whatever. THOSE were scams, and she fell for it 3 times over 5 years.

I was thrilled to learn about Ovation from this Redweek forum, so that I could get mom out of her timeshare before she died. She died on December 19, 2017, within two weeks of signing the Ovation exit paperwork. I was on the time share title and would have inherited the money pit.

I'm trying to help others. I even tell you in my January 22 post how to make sure you get the three years of free points. I screwed up and didn't get them.

Sorry you bought your points and feel bad about that. But don't disparage folks like me who are now trying to help you and others.

Brian A real (former) timeshare owner trying to help others

Brian T.
Mar 25, 2018

I resent your calling me a scammer, and worse, a Wyndham employee masquerading as somebody trying to deceive those who are considering the ovation program. As hard as it is to believe, this program is for real and I, for one, am thankful to be rid of the $6000 annual maintenance fees and am especially pleased that when using my limited edition points, I don't get badgered to attend a " owner update".

Gary B.
Mar 27, 2018

My wife bought our original time share after a presentation in SC. We used Fairfield each year, seldom getting the resorts & times we really wanted. 6 years ago, we were at a Wyndham presentation and were quite frankly lied to while being sold a transfer from our deeded property to a "new" option. During the presentation I objected to the numbers they were presenting as it seemed they were low-balling the costs in changing. I was told I just didn't understand. Despite my concerns, my wife was convinced it was something she wanted to happen. Turned out my interpretation was correct and we were $7K+ deeper in debt than expected.

I would like to set up a GoFund Me page as a legal entity with the express intent of interfering with Wyndham's sales pitches delivered to potential clients. I've checked with 1 municipality in SC where they hold their sales meetings and protests are permitted on the sidewalk. I envision employing 1 or 2 people with warning boards & hand-outs to be given to prospective suckers, with a follow-up as they leave to encourage signees to cancel their contracts.

I'm not wealthy, but I am willing to spend a couple of thousand dollars to disrupt their sales system. I'm wondering if there may be others who would like some revenge?

Jim G.
Mar 30, 2018

I contacted Wyndham on 3/29/2018 about exiting timeshare through the Ovation program. I spoke directly to Monica, who administers the program from the Wyndham Corporate office. After a lengthly conversation with her I concluded she is definitely NOT A SALESPERSON. I mean that in a good way. She was extremely helpful with explaining the program and said they will put all of the paperwork together and send it out. I have two properties (Bonnett Creek and Daytona Oceanwalk) and they both qualified for the program. I did notice that Monica did not immediately bring up the "Limited" portion of the program, but when I mentioned it, she gave me a detail explanation and said that is what I will get. She said the term limited meant I did would not have the Home Resort advantage when using the points, but otherwise I would see no difference when using my point over the next three years. The program requires 3 thing. As mentioned in previous posts, you must own the property (no mortgage); you must stay current on maintenance fees throughout the process, and you cannot have any current reservations associated with the Wyndham system. After I get the paperwork, I have 21 days to complete and return it. After that, they process the return of the deeds at no cost to me. I was told the entire process usually takes less than 3 months. At that time I get a new user ID and can start using my 3 years worth of points. Your "use year" is no longer a Jan-Dec timeframe as it will start after the completion of the deed transfer. I will continue to update through this blog in order to help others understand the program better. If this program works as advertised, they should start using in their sales presentations, because it addresses one of the BIG NEGATIVES about timeshares.

Douglas S.
Apr 17, 2018

Did you ever receive the paperwork? to complete and return? I am finding that no paperwork from anyone arrives in a timely fashion.

Karen R.
Apr 17, 2018

i will be contacting ovation with the hopes of returning my points to worldmark. at my current age, i have no desire to continue with my timeshare and it is a constant drain on a fixed income. i hope the ovation program is beneficial to all concerned.

kyliec wrote:
We have been talking to Wyndham about their new program, Ovation, which was quietly announced to Wyndham owners a few weeks ago. The company isn't offering concrete details, but appears they are ready to customize exit solutions for their owners who no longer use their timeshares.

Jeff Weir has written an informative article for us with much more detail on this topic. Read about the initial introduction of the Ovation program here... and the Ovation update nearly a year later here.

IF YOU ARE A WYNDHAM OWNER, interested in what solutions Wyndham will offer to you, take us along for the ride! We would love to follow several owners as they contact Wyndham for a solution to see whether this program is all they are claiming it to be. If you're interested, please post here and Jeff will follow up with you.

Shirley V.
Apr 17, 2018

It has been 19 days since I first talked to a Wyndham rep about participating in the Ovation program. I have yet to receive any paperwork in the mail. I'm hoping it's because it takes some time to prepare the paperwork required to legally transfer the deeds. If I don't get anything within the next week, I will call again.

Douglas S.
Apr 18, 2018

I think my papers took about 3 weeks and I owned 3 timeshares in 3 states. Maybe they are busier now as they always tell you that the program could end any time. I expect that is b.s.because they are getting to sell the points again for full retail price to some other suckers.

Gary B.
Apr 19, 2018

I called and they don’t do the three year thing for shell owners, but the woman said she would send me the info to give it back to Shell or a company they use to resell them for you. It was referred by them and she said it was better business bureau verified and you don’t pay anything up front . Anyone exercise that option? I was thinking of trying and seeing if they can sell it before giving it back to shell

Kathy H.

Last edited by kathyh693 on Apr 19, 2018 08:34 PM

Apr 28, 2018

I tried one of the resale companies Wyndham referred me to and found the one I contacted you o be evasive, unbusinesslike, and pushy. Looked them up on-line and found many negative comments about the owner. Some questioned his integrity. I didn't feel comfortable about proceeding.

Sharon D.
Apr 28, 2018

Did you contact Wyndham about its ovation program and then get referred to this resale company in question? If Wyndham refused to take your unit back through its Ovation program, then I am assuming your unit is of very low (perhaps zero) value. If that is the case, then you should not go see a resale company. You should just try giving your unit away.

Lance C.
Apr 29, 2018

lancec13 wrote:
Did you contact Wyndham about its ovation program and then get referred to this resale company in question? If Wyndham refused to take your unit back through its Ovation program, then I am assuming your unit is of very low (perhaps zero) value. If that is the case, then you should not go see a resale company. You should just try giving your unit away.

Yes, or at least advertise it in low cost ads on Redweek, eBay, T.U.G., MyResortsNetwork, tstoday and perhaps others.

In any case, as others have warned here, NEVER pay upfront fees to ANYone offering to "get you out of your timeshare."

Stu M.
Apr 30, 2018

It is shell West so it includes San Fran Anaheim Napa etc , so it has value but they said they will take it back through ovation sans the three year deal. I will probably just do it and get out from under the fees. I mean the Napa place alone is $350+ a night so with 5500 points I get my fees back every year if I am good about using it. It just seems for $1700 a year in fees plus a $179 interval fee whenever I go outside of shell I could stay somewhere when and where I want for about the same $$ so I am leaning toward giving it back. Sure, I would love to sell it and recoup any part of my $30k+ but that isn’t likely and so many scammers out there...

Kathy H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.