Hotel Bel-Air Puerto Vallarta

Bel Air Vacation Club

Aug 10, 2018

Hello Mrs. Rothney unfortunately what you said about "The failure to pay a non-personal debt, i.e., maintenance fee,should not be reported on one's credit report" is wrong because of the contract you signed, any time you default on payments you’ve contractually agreed to make, it has the potential to hurt your credit score. A timeshare default is no different. Depending on the specifics of your timeshare agreement, default could lead to collections actions, civil judgements and even foreclosure, any of which could appear on your credit report. While not every timeshare developer reports foreclosures to the credit reporting bureaus, this does not mean that your timeshare foreclosure won't show up in your credit history. In fact, defaulting on your timeshare mortgage can be just as damaging to your credit score as defaulting on your home mortgage. The other thing Mrs. Rothney a "deed back in lieu of foreclosure" must by accepted by the company in this case we don´t, what I can offer you is to pay $4000.00, $3500.00 less late fees and $500.00 to cancel the account, the payment must be done before August 30, before we report to credit bureaus.

I am trying to get rid of my timeshare in Mexico. The previous is the answer I got from the resort. I need help as what to do.

Leona R.
Jan 07, 2019

Has begun affecting your credit? I have not paid maintenance fees for Bel Air in several years and they are threatening to send me to collections. Did they send you to collections and is it affecting your score? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Garrett B.
Jan 08, 2019

I have not heard anything from Bel Air.

Leona R.
Jul 16, 2019

I have had this time share in PV for 18 years! We are fully paid up but dont use it anymore! They told me I'd go to collections if I dont continue to pay!!! I cant afford it anymore!!! When we bought it the maintenance was 250 a year now its 650 and a special assessment of 950 this year!!! We had no idea that it would keep goin up!!! They contact says paid in full!!! Please if you have any advice how to stop this wed so appreciate it!

leonar10 wrote:
Hello Mrs. Rothney unfortunately what you said about "The failure to pay a non-personal debt, i.e., maintenance fee,should not be reported on one's credit report" is wrong because of the contract you signed, any time you default on payments you’ve contractually agreed to make, it has the potential to hurt your credit score. A timeshare default is no different. Depending on the specifics of your timeshare agreement, default could lead to collections actions, civil judgements and even foreclosure, any of which could appear on your credit report. While not every timeshare developer reports foreclosures to the credit reporting bureaus, this does not mean that your timeshare foreclosure won't show up in your credit history. In fact, defaulting on your timeshare mortgage can be just as damaging to your credit score as defaulting on your home mortgage. The other thing Mrs. Rothney a "deed back in lieu of foreclosure" must by accepted by the company in this case we don´t, what I can offer you is to pay $4000.00, $3500.00 less late fees and $500.00 to cancel the account, the payment must be done before August 30, before we report to credit bureaus.

I am trying to get rid of my timeshare in Mexico. The previous is the answer I got from the resort. I need help as what to do.

Liz L.
Oct 15, 2019

These timeshare crooks need a rude awakening. I have not and will not pay them another red cent as they rooked me into buying something that is worthless. I am not paying maintenance fees and haven't for years now. The only thing I have heard from them is that they want more money to close my account. Well, boo hoo I won't pay up and they can go to collections or whatever. They lied to me right from the get go telling me that a timeshare is equity and I can rent or sell it which is impossible.

Leona R.
Oct 23, 2019

Hello Garrett - has this resolved for you? They are threatening the same with me and offering to let me out of the contract if I agree to pay $5200. Did they send you to collection?

Lorie G.
Dec 13, 2019

My wife and I were also "required" to pay a special assessment. We reviewed our contract and concluded that they cannot do that. The special assessment is a second maintenance fee and the contract only permits one maintenance fee per room per year. We filed a complaint with the better business bureau.

Lester W.
Jan 01, 2020

We are in the same boat and decided not to pay the special assessment fee. Please keep us updated.

Rick B.
Jan 03, 2020

According to the Better Business Bureau response to my complaint, which seemed to include an approval of my complaint - at least enough of an approval to forward the complaint to Bel Air, Bel Air was supposed to get back to us by December 27th. Bel Air has not responded yet, so we are still waiting.

I also sent an E-mail to PROFECO, but I did not get a response back from PROFECO yet.

Lester W.
Jan 07, 2020

We did pay the assessment but only to protect our credit. We noted that the special assessment was not for maintenance of the existing property, but rather to add new features to align with the partnership they have with the hotel. We would like to drop this as we will not continue to use the property in the future. I am looking forward to hearing what happens from PROFECO...how can we all file complaints?

Cy M.
Jan 08, 2020

You can file a complaint here at the Las Vegas division of the BBB, since their offices are located there:

https://www.bbb.org/us/nv/las-vegas/profile/vacation-timeshare/bel-air-vacation-club-vallarta-1086-90064410

I think that the more people complain on this site, the more that it strengthens our collective disagreement.

For Profeco, you can go to their website and send them an e-mail which is provided on their website.

We have used their Xpu Ha property because of the zoo there, which has since closed and now I think that Xpu Ha is no longer one of their properties. We end up banking the property and using it elsewhere - although you need to tack on the banking fee.

Lester

Lester W.

Last edited by lesterw10 on Jan 08, 2020 10:56 AM

Jan 21, 2020

I am summarizing my back and forth with Bel Air through the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. I hope that the BBB will eventually post this complaint on their website, but I figure I would post this message here for greater visibility.

My complaint to the BBB: Bel Air Vacation Club is requiring us to pay two maintenance fees, but the contract limits us to only pay one maintenance fee. Our contract with Bel Air Vacation Club (clause #9) states that we pay only one maintenance fee per year. After paying an $837 maintenance fee for 2019, they are requiring us to pay $1225.50 which they call a "special assessment" for the maintenance of the resort. This is a breach of contract. I sent Bel Air an email October 5 stating that this is a breach of contract. Bel Air did not contact us back. I just called Bel Air (December 12, 2019) and they insist that we pay the special assessment. I explained that I would seek outside support to resolve the issue, they said fine.

Bel Air Vacation Club Response: We are not in any default in your contract, you please need to read the Rules and Regulations, I am attaching a copy of them in this response, as well you are able to view them at any time in our members web site page at www.belairownerscircle.com or www.belairvallarta.com . All member have to pay the special assessment that was billed in June of 2019, this is a secound time this is billed the first time being June of the year 2010. This is in additional to the regular maintenance fees, its an Extraordinary Fee ( Special Assessment Fee) . We have provided to you letters , you have seen the major renovations that was done to the property of Los Cabos and Nuevo Vallarta. Please let me know if you have further questions that I can gladly help you with.

kind regards,

My Response to Bel Air: Sorry, Bel Air is attempting to modify our contract "after the fact" without our consent or approval. If Bel Air wishes to modify our contract, it should sit down with us and propose the desired changes and maybe we can come to some agreement.

The payment of maintenance fees is clearly laid out and limited in our contract. Our contract limits our paymnent of maintenance fees to one maintenance fee per Primary week, of which we own one. We already paid a maintenance fee for the year - Bel Air cannot charge us a second maintenance fee, even if it renames it a "special assessment."

Under our contract, maintenance fees cover the maintenance of the resort, and shall be based on the internal expenses of the resort. Thus, if the maintenance costs and all other internal expenses are already covered by the maintenance fees, what expenses are being covered by the special assessment? External expenses??

Under Bel Air's modified By Laws which attempts to impose a special assessment on us, it states that such fees would only be applied after members receive a detailed report outlining how the funds will be used. WE did not receive this report. Notwithstanding the breach in contract caused by the imposition of the special assessment, please attach this detailed report for how the special assessment funds will be used.

Also, our contract states that the Internal By Laws pertain to how we "use the services," there is no reference to special assessments in our contract, and the wording that the By Laws solely pertains to use of the services which therefore excludes Bel Air's ability to add maintenance fees in the By Laws.

Again, the special assessment that Bel Air is charging us is not allowed under our contract.

Bel Air Vacation Club Response: Dear Members: Once again we apologize that you feel you are not be charged for a special assesment Fee. Again all members have to pay. We have provided to you information into this regards. Per your request please find attached the Special Assessment Detailed Report (Bel Air did provide a "detailed" report, which is not a detailed report). we are not modifiying your contract only the rules and regulations which per contract we have the right to amend without a prior consent from members. This was modified in 2010 adding the special assessment rule.

Please let me know if you have any further question that we can help you with.

regards,

My Rebuttal to Bel Air which I sent prior to seeing the "detailed" report: (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.) Again, Bel Air cannot add maintenance fees to the rules and regulations. The contract specifically limits maintenance fees to one payment per room owned by the timeshare owners, and we own one week, thus we need to pay one maintenance fee per year. We paid that already. By adding a second maintenance fee, termed a "special assessment", Bel Air has breached our contract. If this was legal, Bel Air could charge us as much as they want for the maintenance and other expenses of the resort, which is what they are trying trying to do, but it is not allowed under the contract.

Also, our contract states in the Internal By-Laws that the rules and regulations pertain to how we "use the services," there is no reference to special assessments or maintenance fees in our contract, and the wording that the By-Laws solely pertains to use of the services which therefore excludes Bel Air's ability to add maintenance fees in the By-Laws.

I would also point out that Bel Air has not met its obligations maintaining the resort. We stayed for one week at the Xpu Ha resort during August of 2017. The balcony of our room, and for all the rooms of the resort (switching rooms was not an option), were condemned and off limits. In fact, the sliding glass doors to the balcony were screwed shut and unusable.

Our inability to use the patio sliding door to our room was compounded by the lack of air conditioning for our room. We complained multiple times that the air conditioning did not work. The front desk made repeated commitments to send out a repairman. After about 5 or 6 complaints over a couple of days, finally a resort staff person came to our room and looked at the system, made some grunting sounds, left and never came back. The air conditioning unit was never repaired and never worked the entire week that we were there, and this was during the very hot summer. Since the air conditioning did not work and the balcony door was screwed shut, the two maintenance issues combined made our room ever more hot and unbearable.

When we returned from our trip, we called the Bel Air reservation office and complained that our Xpu Ha room was not adequately maintained and that we did not receive the value we paid for and what we expected when we paid our maintenance fee. The reservations office essentially ignored our complaint.

Reviewing recent online comments by people who have stayed at the Bel Air resort, many people are reporting negative stories about staying at the resort. Considering this failure by Bel Air to meet its commitment to us as timeshare owners, it is shocking that Bel Aire would then try to extract a second maintenance fee from us.

One more issue which we believe is very relevant is that we compared our current maintenance fee to the hotel rates the resort charges for a similar sized room and we found that our maintenance fee was higher than a hotel rate at the same Bel Air resort. The whole purpose for the timeshare contract was to pay a large sum up front which would allow us to experience much lower weekly rates than that of non-timeshare owners. Our maintenance fees are already too high to begin with. So, rather than heaping a second maintenance fee on its timeshare owners, the resort should increase the rental rate for the hotel owners which would improve the parity between the maintenance fees and the hotel rates. By asking its timeshare owners to pay an additional maintenance fee, Bel Air is simply gouging its timeshare members to raise revenue. They should go to a bank to get a loan to make these improvements, not gouge its owners.

My Response to Bel Air after Seeing the "Detailed" Report: Thank you for posting at least something about the special assessment. First, why was this not sent out earlier??? Second, the document lumps maintenance fees in with the special assessment. The bogus clause which allows for charging owners an illegal special assessment states that the special report would be created specifically for the special assessment, which is not the case here because they are both lumped in together. The report documenting the need for the special assessment needs to document the expenses solely for the special assessment. This lumping together of these items, along with the nature of items listed, supports my argument that the special assessment is nothing more than a second maintenance fee, which is illegal under our contract.

Next, I look at the list of items listed, which I attached below, and I don't see any unforeseen expenses in this list. How is any of this unforeseen???? I would consider damage due to a hurricane unforeseen. How is removing and replacing a floor unforeseen? How is replacing curtains unforeseen? As the floor or curtains wear, you plan on replacing them as the maintenance money comes in. Finally, for this report, I would expect a breakdown of all the "unforeseen expenses" and a justification why each on the list is unforeseen, a summary of the cost for each item only for the timeshare side of course (how do we know that hotel side expenses are not included in this list), and then those costs divided by the number of owners and their room types on the list. How did you arrive at my $1200 special assessment cost? When the rules and regulations say detailed, I expect a detailed report of why I am being charged that much. Given that none of these expenses are unforeseen, the point is moot, don't you think?

Nuevo Vallarta 1.Furtiniture was replaced, sofa, dining tables, beds, night stand, coffee tables. 2. kitchen utensils 3. floor was removed and replaced 4. bathroom mirrors, 5. bathroom faucets 6. curtains 7. wooded rails on terrace doors 8.Construction of new pool 9.Improved /expanded kids club 10.New gym equipment 11.New beach chairs 12.New beach umbrellas 13.New pool chairs 14. New TV's (still need to complete all units) Los Cabos 1.Furtiniture was replaced, sofa, dining tables, beds, night stand, coffee tables. (still working on will complete by 2020) 2. kitchen utensils (still working on will complete by 2020) 3. floor was removed and replaced (still working on will complete by 2020) 4. bathroom mirrors, (replaced in some units) 5. bathroom faucets 6. curtains (still working on will complete by 2020) 7. wooded rails on terrace doors (still working on will complete by 2020) 8.Construction of new pool 9.New kids club (there was no kids club before) 10.New gym (there was no gym before) 11.New beach chairs 12.New beach umbrellas 13.New pool chairs 14. New Spa (there was no spa before) 15. new restaurants (more variety of menu)

Dear Member: We have provided all information from our side that legally we do need to provide, this is a lodging rights membership contract and not a deeded property into which we don't need to provide a Financial Report or how was the amount was established. Once again we are not operating ilegally and all we are doing is legit y no default in the contract. All members have to pay the special assessment which may be assest every 9 to 10 years. The last time this was billed was in June 2010 by Playa Del Sol. we are sorry that you are not agreement with, as one of our members mentioned we are not the only ones that bill a special assessment.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. we Will be more then glad to help you.

My Message to the BBB: Bel Air cannot respond in any way shape or form on the breach of contract issues. But even if I ignore the breach of contract issues, they cannot respond to the other problems of how they are doing this. They believe they found a way to gouge the timeshare owners for money by adding a "special assessment" clause to the rules and regulations, which is not where maintenance fees belong. Note that our contract does not have maintenance fees or special assessments in the rules and regulations. How to pay for them, yes, the fees for them, no.

We paid $17000 when we signed up for this timeshare. If we divide that amount over the 15 years that we have been a member, it amounts to $1100 per year, or $1100 per one week stay at the resort. Adding the maintenance fee to that results in almost $2000 per year, or one week stay at the resort, which is $280 per night for a one week stay at their resort. Now they want to add another $1200 to that??? I don't think so.

If the resort was a well kept resort with great service, we might be willing to pay the special assessment. But the last time we stayed at their resort, it was broken down and the staff lied to us over and over again. We have not stayed at their other resort locations in quite a while, but we have read online reviews that the timeshare owners are placed at the back of the resort, the food and service is terrible and the rooms are in need of repair. Even if the special assessment fixed the things that are broken and worn out, it will not fix the services.

This resort was rated a gold crown resort and we could trade it on San Francisco exchange. However, San Francisco Exchange does not trade this resort anymore, and the timeshare owners are treated like crap, like their very own piggy bank. I find it interesting that they will not create a detailed report to the timeshare owners, and I suspect that the timeshare owners are being gouged to fund improvements to the hotel part of the resort.

We are not going to pay the special assessment, nor the next maintenance fee, unless if Bel Air is willing to honor the contract. The resort has declined too far, and we will probably end up walking away from this. I also sent a complaint to Profeco so we shall see where that goes (probably no where).

Lester W.

Last edited by lesterw10 on Feb 06, 2020 07:30 AM

Jan 21, 2020

Here is Bel Air's "Detailed" report:

Dear Members, As most of you are aware, we made the difficult decision to implement a Special Assessment fee from our Bel Air Owners Circle. A letter announcing the Assessment was sent out along with individual billing statements for each account. The letter stated that as a result of an extraordinarily challenging 2018-19 season, the Board of Directors approved the collection of the Special Assessment to cover the operating shortfall at Reflect Nuevo Vallarta and Los Cabos. Most of you have already paid your regular maintenance fee as well as your Special Assessment, and we thank you for your prompt response.

However, for those who may still have some doubts or questions about the Special Assessment, we offer the clarifications, below.

BE SURE TO PAY YOUR MAINTENANCE FEE AND SPECIAL ASSESSMENT PROMPTLY to avoid any problems with making reservations or exchanging your week.

The billing of the Special Assessment was in compliance with Clause #9C of the Club Rules and Regulations, as follows:

Each owner of Timeshare Interval shall be responsible for his proportionate share (based on 1/52 per use period owned) for the following costs and expenses:

1. all labor (direct and contract) and related costs (benefits and taxes),

2. basic telephone charges and the cost of utility services,

3. recreational privileges and other services;

4. costs of ordinary repairs and maintenance of the apartments and acquisition, repair, replacement of furniture for the apartments;

5. premiums for liability insurance, real property taxes, and any other tax that results in the increase of cost of operating the project including but not limited to business taxes, licenses, permits, asset taxes, occupancy taxes, IVA, and other transfer or applicable sales taxes, and insurance premium for fire insurance and extended coverage insurance;

6. Any other costs and expenses elsewhere herein provided to be paid, including the managing agents compensation (annual management fee).

➢ All such Shared Expenses shall be computed and assessed the owners through Annual Assessments to be paid by each owner to the Managing agent not later than January 1st of each calendar year.

➢ Any annual assessment that is not paid when due, will automatically be deemed to include a twenty-five percent (25%) penalty.

➢ The annual assessments and any penalties must be paid prior to the use by a Timeshare Interval Owner of his apartment during his use period.

➢ Each owner hereby agrees and convents to promptly pay to the Managing Agent. Additionally, pursuant to Article #4, Management of the Project, clause #1 Management of Operations: The project shall be under the exclusive direction and control of the Managing Agent.

The powers of the managing agent shall include, but not be limited to, to the following;

(d) To obtain and pay the cost of legal and accounting services necessary or proper for the maintenance and operation of the project and the enforcement of this Declaration and the Rules and Regulations: In the event any Time Share Interval Owner shall fail to comply with any of the provisions of this Declaration or of the Rules and Regulations, the Managing Agent may bring an action for damages or to enjoin the violation or specifically enforce the provisions of this Declaration or to enforce the contractual lien or lien provided herein, including the foreclosure of any such lien and the taking of possession of the Time Share Interval of any Owner.

(e) To collect, in advance of disbursement, from each Time Share Interval Owner the Shared expenses (as defined above) and any other amounts properly expended by the Managing Agent, to bill the Time share Interval owners accordingly, and to take the proper steps to enforce any Time Share Interval owners obligations hereunder.

Among the many future upgrades planned the following: Nuevo Vallarta 1.Furtiniture was replaced, sofa, dining tables, beds, night stand, coffee tables. 2. kitchen utensils 3. floor was removed and replaced 4. bathroom mirrors, 5. bathroom faucets 6. curtains 7. wooded rails on terrace doors 8.Construction of new pool 9.Improved /expanded kids club 10.New gym equipment 11.New beach chairs 12.New beach umbrellas 13.New pool chairs 14. New TV's (still need to complete all units)

Los Cabos 1.Furtiniture was replaced, sofa, dining tables, beds, night stand, coffee tables. (still working on will complete by 2020) 2. kitchen utensils (still working on will complete by 2020) 3. floor was removed and replaced (still working on will complete by 2020) 4. bathroom mirrors, (replaced in some units) 5. bathroom faucets 6. curtains (still working on will complete by 2020) 7. wooded rails on terrace doors (still working on will complete by 2020) 8.Construction of new pool 9.New kids club (there was no kids club before) 10.New gym (there was no gym before) 11.New beach chairs 12.New beach umbrellas 13.New pool chairs 14. New Spa (there was no spa before) 15. new restaurants (more variety of menu)

Lester W.

Last edited by lesterw10 on Jan 22, 2020 11:23 AM

Jan 27, 2020

We also own a timeshare with BelAir, formerly Playa Del Sol. We also received the "special assessment fee." We also refuse to pay it.

We last traded our week at Nueva Vallert with DAE two years ago. This year, DAE informed us they are NOT accepting any trades with the Bel Air Group..

We have previously traded the property, but never returned since we purchased. We feel the cheapest, safest and easiest solution now is to simply give it up, pay nothing more and consider it a sad lesson in timeshare management.

We can travel much more reasonably via air B&B, Home Away, Red Week. and other sites which are much more responsible and financially appropriate.No wonder people are not buying timeshares any more.

So, unless something happens (ie. Bel Air backs down, a class action law suit, etc.) we're done with this disreputable company.

Carol M.
Jan 27, 2020

We also have issues with Bel Air Vacation Club and Krystal Grand and have filed a complaint with PROFECO and have had one hearing so far. Strange thing a company called Big Window & Propiedades la Jolla is acting as if they are Bel Air. There is also a Facebook group call Bel Air Private Group that has additional information.

Eirinn R.
Feb 26, 2020

My mother owns 2 units with now-Bel Air Vacation Club Vallarta (formerly Club Playa del Sol) The maintenance fees have continued to go up every year-now over $2000/year. My mother has not used the timeshare in years and hasnt paid the fees in 2 years. I tried to get hold of someone to talk to to just surrender back the units but was told they don't have a sales office, they don't accept returned units, there is no one to talk to, and that the only option is to try and sell the units (through there authorized enity)! She was supposed to send me an email with that information but of course has not.

My mother is elderly and on a fixed income and cannot afford to pay these ever increasing fees/past due fees. I am thinking to just tell my mother to not pay anything and see what they do. Of the folks who have followed this course, has Bel Air actually gone after you via collections or foreclosure? DO you have any other insights?

Tim P.
Feb 27, 2020

We are walking away from the Bel Air timeshare.

I believe that the only recourse Bel Air has is to file a bad credit report to credit agencies and your mother's credit could be dinged. If your mother is not seeking a new line of credit, then what does it matter?

I would review your mother's contract to see if there is a clause that allows Bel Air to charge a special assessment. If not, then the special assessment is an extra maintenance fee which is illegal under the contract and a breach of contract. I would then send a complaint to the Better Business Bureau like we did and maybe Profeco. The more that we get this complaint out, the stronger our case. If Bel Air does file a negative credit rating against us who have been wronged, we can send this documentation that Bel Air has breached our contract to the credit rating agencies and if they agree, they will negate the negative credit rating.

If your mother is uncomfortable with all this and wants a greater peace of mind, you can hire one of those companies that gets you out of timeshare contracts.

Lester

timp320 wrote:
My mother owns 2 units with now-Bel Air Vacation Club Vallarta (formerly Club Playa del Sol) The maintenance fees have continued to go up every year-now over $2000/year. My mother has not used the timeshare in years and hasnt paid the fees in 2 years. I tried to get hold of someone to talk to to just surrender back the units but was told they don't have a sales office, they don't accept returned units, there is no one to talk to, and that the only option is to try and sell the units (through there authorized enity)! She was supposed to send me an email with that information but of course has not.

My mother is elderly and on a fixed income and cannot afford to pay these ever increasing fees/past due fees. I am thinking to just tell my mother to not pay anything and see what they do. Of the folks who have followed this course, has Bel Air actually gone after you via collections or foreclosure? DO you have any other insights?

Lester W.
Mar 05, 2020

Thank you for your response. I will look at the contract agasin. Its been a while since I have and the original contract was with some other company. You probably know the property has been sold and re-sold several times.

I did get a response from BAVC and they offered a payment plan while reducing the amount in arrears by some 10% but its insufficient and my mother cannot pay it and will not use it again. I will respond again with directions to simply cancel and take back the property -especially since the purchase price was fully paid for at the inception.

I do need to find out if there was a deed involved. My mother cannot recall.

I called a timeshare exit type company-Wesley Financial- that is advertising a lot in Los Angeles media. They cannot help because there is money owed. My mom would have to pay off the alleged debt owed before they would get involved and I assume that would be another several thousand dollars.

So, we'll try what others seem to be doing here and just walking away.

Tim P.
May 29, 2020

I suspect that Bel Air/Krystal Grand will go bankrupt with this COVID virus problem anyways. Mexico will likely stay shut down, or people won't travel, until a vaccine is found, which likely won't be until next summer. I just don't think they can last that long.

Lester W.
Jul 23, 2020

We are in the same boat. Paid cash to Playa del Sol and did not sign an agreement with BelAir. Maintenance has been poor and the venue changed and promised construction has just been completed. We haven't paid or used it for years. Has anyone went through the collection process threatened?

David M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.