Hotel Bel-Air Puerto Vallarta

Bel Air Vacation Club

Aug 05, 2020

I am hoping Bel Air will go bankrupt with the Covid. I suspect that nobody will be going to Mexico in the near future or maybe for many years as people are so afraid of getting Covid.

I have not paid anything for years now and refuse to as they did not tell the truth about the timeshare in the first place.

Leona R.
Aug 11, 2020

Hello everyone,

New member here and this is my first message. While I am bummed to hear that you all are in a similar situation to mine, I do feel "better" knowing I'm not the only one struggling with this.

I bought a timeshare with Playa del Sol/Bel Air years ago and am now wanting to sell it as my neither my ex-wife nor I want it anymore.

I paid off the loan (a few years ago) and this most recent special assessment (trying to protect my credit as I would like to buy a home in the future).

Have any of you tried selling your timeshare and had much luck?

From my assessment, what I might be able to sell it for versus the various fees for selling it via Redweek and the transfer fee from Bel Air ($250 according to them), I might be able break even. And, honestly, if it meant I didn't have it anymore, I'd consider that a win.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy V.
Aug 20, 2020

Has anyone had any luck!?! This company is horrible and I’ve had issues since I first made the mistake many many years ago! At the time of signing the salesman had a “company” that was present at the meeting. I paid $500 for this company to sell my weeks bc they assured me I would be able to pay my monthly fees this way. Well that was a lie! I was never able to get in touch w anyone and they told me that was not the case. Needless to say i was so angry but also worried bc I knew I was unable to pay that money monthly. I made partial payments. I had some arrangements w them to do so. They stopped contacting me for the payments and therefore I didn’t pay bc time passed and I forgot. I would always get different representatives that handled my account and I tried to continue to make an attempt to pay. Then I would get an email from someone new and they would want payment in full. I worked out something else and made payments again. Then the same thing happened. Now I’m getting contacted again and they want payment in full and they are trying to tell me the amount of my loan is double from what the last person told me. They claim they are giving me a deal to pay in full that amount and they are waiving owed maintenance fees. However it’s not accurate bc the amount isn’t accurate. I really dk what to do and never have any luck w anyone there.

Elizabeth J.
Aug 28, 2020

Have you had any luck with resolving this?

Elizabeth J.
Oct 12, 2020

We are also in the same exact situation. Paid cash to Playa del Sol and did not sign an agreement with BelAir. Haven't paid or used since Playa del Sol went bankrupt. Never got any formal notice that "BelAir" has any obligation to honor our Playa del Sol contract. Continue to get emails threatening to send the account to a collection agency. Would also like to know if anyone has actually went through the threatened collections process.

Paul C.
Oct 12, 2020

We cashed out first year pre construction Playa Del Sol. Stopped going and paying 6-7 years ago due to neglect and multiple breach of contract items. No maintenance-oversold - no availability- change of venue to noisy weddings. Trend to all inclusive closed the best restaurant. Can't even give it away.

David M.
Nov 04, 2020

I read your posting and wonder if you have an address for the corporate offices for Bel Air - something that is not the Las Vegas PO box?

many thanks Beth Woodworth

Beth W.
Nov 09, 2020

I am a member also and refuse to pay the "extraordinary assessment" that will only benefit the owners by bringing in more people who are not members. If it goes to collections, I will fight it there. I never received a detailed report as stated in our original contract. Also, any special assessment must be for "unforeseen and unforeseeable" events. A new restaurant or pool does not meet those requirements. TO ALL MEMBERS...DO NOT PAY,

Hal H.
Nov 16, 2020

Hi has anyone else received an "offer" from a "Anthony Santos" of "Eastern Travel Center INC" of Atlanta, GA? My 90 year old mom got his call and referred him to me last week. He sounds like an inarticulate scam artist. He sent me a contract to buy my mom's timeshare for $69.5K which is on very official looking "Fidelity Escrow Service INC" of Minneapolis. All we need to do is pay any past due amounts, maintenance fees owed, insurance, closing fees, admin fees and all other costs to the Mexican citizen Buyer who will then deposit the funds into escrow. They also want us to send a first page of the contract and all identification information . . . Sure! Where do we sign?

Anyway, I'm having fun with this but be careful. Lots of scammers out there. I'm just wondering if this is a new thing. HAs anyone else got this or similar?

Tim P.

Last edited by timp320 on Nov 16, 2020 02:03 PM

Nov 16, 2020

At least 2scam attempts per year. We stopped using it. Paid preconstruction cash. Now they threaten collection. We can't even give it away. All deals require sending more money.

David M.
Dec 01, 2020

I am an owner and will not be paying this money grab. How do I know where the money is going? It could easily just go into someone's pocket.

Hal H.
Dec 10, 2020

Bel Air now has an "F" (failure) rating with the Better Business Bureau. Keep up the complaints, maybe it will drop to a "G"!

Lester W.
Dec 10, 2020

Hopefully bankruptcy follows with all these awful contracts being voided out. I love my mom but her decision to get into a TS with this company years ago for the benefit of me and my siblings turned out badly.

Tim P.
Dec 10, 2020

I string them along then insist on a mano e mano transfer of any and all funds and paper work. What day and what time can we meet at your office.

David M.
Dec 11, 2020

I like to tell them that we insist on using the escrow service my sister in law works for in Los Angeles. Never seems to go beyond that.

Tim P.
Dec 12, 2020

$5200 seems to be the magic number. Although it has varied with different Bel Air contact $5200 is the most common. I'm not paying another cent . I have the blue ink contract and it differs from what they claim. We cashed out the first year.

David M.
Dec 14, 2020

I think that Bel Air may have intended for this debacle to happen. I think that their strategy was to gouge the timeshare owners, expect that many would pay, although some would default or simply not go along. They then could convert more of their facilities to hotel, while funding some of the conversion and hotel improvements with the money gained by timeshare owners who paid.

If you read some of the timeshare owner reports, the resort has been treating the timeshare owners like crap, charging them more for staying at the resort than hotel guests, and at the same time, treating the hotel guests much better. This seems to indicate that they would like the timeshare owners to go away, after, of course, gouging them first.

I read on Yelp that the resort has closed, but that is very much unofficial and maybe solely due to the local rules associated with the pandemic. I suspect, though, that the pandemic has hurt their plans and they will need the money to just survive. All those folks who paid this special assessment will be stuck with the same crappy resort which still needs renovation. Although the irony of this is that the pandemic IS an unforeseen circumstance.

The foolishness of their ways is that if they waited a year, they likely could have made the argument that they need the money for an unforeseen circumstance - the pandemic - they played their hand so poorly, but either way, the resort is unlikely to be improved.

Lester W.
Dec 19, 2020

I saw your message about the Belair, we almost bought there also but decided not to .

John S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Dec 19, 2020 02:28 PM

Jan 31, 2021

I see Bel Air has changed the name to Krystal Bel Air. Gee I wonder why.

Leona R.
Jun 24, 2021

My 92 year old mother keeps receiving bills from Bel Air Vacation Club Vallarta for (higher) maintenance fees for 2021as well as those due for the prior 2 years she did not pay. (She is on fixed income, disabled for many years, and no one in my family has not used the property in many years). When I tried to just give them back the TS last year, they said she would have to come current on the money owed. She cannot afford this thing and they won't help by taking it back.

Anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone run into any collection efforts in the US by this company?

Tim P.

Last edited by timp320 on Jun 24, 2021 12:43 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.