General Discussion

So What Are You Doing For Your Cancelling Renter?

Mar 16, 2020

Yep, approached by my renter to cancel due to fellow guests can not travel and her from an area on the East coast with MORE going on. Marriott has penalties for cancelling 60 days or less before. Have to use the week before the end of the year and can not schedule that stay before 120 days before the stay. First time being the owner renting. Oh...by the way...WE also were going away that week and have that week to deal with also. What are we all doing. Maintenance fees paid......could be stuck losing the week. Thank you deb

Deborah B.
Mar 16, 2020

We have found that Marriott is working with owners during this difficult time and has various options for depositing or rebooking. You can visit their website to see what they are currently offering for points owners as well as those with ownership weeks.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Last edited by phyl21 on Mar 23, 2020 09:56 AM

Mar 17, 2020

I spoke with the Vacation Club last night. When on cancels within 60 days of arrival, the points of the week go into a banking. These banked points must be used by the end of that year. The kicker....usually...is you can not reschedule a reservation until 60 before you wish to travel. Now, with the Covid the 60 has been increased to 120 days that you can reschedule a timeshare stay.

Deborah B.
Mar 20, 2020

Marriott won't reschedule my reservation. They said I had to call Redweek. Redweek said to talk to the owner of the timeshare owner. Owner said Marriott won't let him reschedule.

All 3 received their money from me. I received nothing.

John B.
Mar 23, 2020

Redweek refunded my renter two weeks prior to the scheduled week. Is Redweek refunding my listing fee for this? Redweek has seemed to go silent for now. Did they give back the fee to the renter for using their reserve/payment system? Probably not.

Craig G.
Mar 23, 2020

Craig: As listed on our COVID 19 statement, here is what we are offering owners who used or are using RedWeek Online Booking:

• If you are asked to cancel or change your reservation dates for a renter, RedWeek will gladly pay any change fees to accommodate this request.

• If you need to cancel entirely, we will also give you an account credit for a new posting and verification.

• If you are currently advertising a rental with March or April check-ins, we advise you to call your resort and attempt to reschedule your week. We will give you a free verification for the new dates.

We can understand the frustration by both owners and renters. This pandemic is like nothing we have ever had to deal with, and we continue to improve our processes as we go along. We currently have thousands of calls and emails and are handling everything as fast as we can. It’s an incredibly difficult time for the entire nation and we hope our RedWeek community will be patient and understanding as we get through this together.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 23, 2020

John: If you paid directly to RedWeek through Online Booking, then you can file a dispute using your RedWeek booking number. Renters who paid the owner directly will need to work with the owner to resolve the situation. Please let the owner know that many timeshare companies have been flexible in canceling and rebooking reservations. If the owner understands they may not lose the week which they have already paid for, hopefully they will work with you for a solution,.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 23, 2020

So basically......No help.

John B.
Mar 23, 2020

I was notified at midnight on March 21 ( the day of check-in ) that Redweek voted to issue a refund to my renter as the unit is not habitable, My unit is at Marriott Grande Ocean in Hilton Head Island and when I called them, I was told that the resort is open and booked solidly. If this renter wanted to cancel, I should have been told with time to make other arrangements. This is so unfair ! I lost my $1500 maintenance fee and the use of a week at this fantastic resort. This is the risk of using Redweek's "Verified and Protected" system. What options do I have ? I had rented another Marriott unit myself 2 weeks ago and the renter drove to the resort and is enjoying 75 degree weather.

Barbara P.
May 26, 2020

How can Redweek make decisions on refunds. What authoritative power do they have?

If you go strict on reservations cancellation policy why does Redweek have the power to take your money away?

I believe owners who lost money going with Redweek and their policy of refunding to renters, should be contested with a class action suit.

Paul L.
Jun 04, 2020

I have now filed a complaint with Florida Attorney Generals office against Redweek.

Read the rental agreement and there is nothing about the Covid virus that is stated in the agreement. It states in Rental agreement illness is not responsibility of Owner and non-refundable!

My rentals are at Newport Coast and they are NOT shelter in place any longer. But Redweek has kept 2 of my units in pending status. They sent an e-mail to My renters and Me that Shelter in place was the way for renter to get a refund.When shelter in place was removed they emailed renter to see if they still wanted to rent unit???

Both of these weeks are in July.

Be aware Redweek is becoming an issue to deal with. Unresponsive to my emails!!!

If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, or storm, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded to the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term, the Renter is entitled to a pro-rated refund for unused nights from the point of evacuation order through the remainder of the Term. In such events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter. Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

Paul L.
Jun 27, 2020

Paull324 - So where does your rental deal stand now?

I have a couple of rented units at Newport Coast. One renter wanted out less than 30 days before use but decided to stay with it. I believe I have this under control "but" I remain concerned that Redweek will mess it up. I do not want Redweek's help in negotiating and certainly don't want them refunding any money without my consent.

Any suggestions out there about how to ensure Redweek works with the owner or just stays out of it?

With respect to the future, I don't like the uncertainty of using Redweek's contract and resolution service. Their actions appear to be impulsive and baseless in favor of the renter. I question whether I will their full service approach again - too unpredictable.

paull324 wrote:
I have now filed a complaint with Florida Attorney Generals office against Redweek.

Read the rental agreement and there is nothing about the Covid virus that is stated in the agreement. It states in Rental agreement illness is not responsibility of Owner and non-refundable!

My rentals are at Newport Coast and they are NOT shelter in place any longer. But Redweek has kept 2 of my units in pending status. They sent an e-mail to My renters and Me that Shelter in place was the way for renter to get a refund.When shelter in place was removed they emailed renter to see if they still wanted to rent unit???

Both of these weeks are in July.

Be aware Redweek is becoming an issue to deal with. Unresponsive to my emails!!!

If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, or storm, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded to the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term, the Renter is entitled to a pro-rated refund for unused nights from the point of evacuation order through the remainder of the Term. In such events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter. Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

Den
Jul 10, 2020

Owner point of view: I made it a personal policy never to use Redweek’s ‘Protected’ for all these reasons, plus not getting my money till later. I considered it a ruse by RW to hold money in the bank for interest. The owners are getting unfairly screwed. So I am devising a new contract with a partial refund guideline so everything is out in the open. 120-60-30 days policy. This year, with 4 rentals, I have made an accommodation of some sort, depending on the resort policy, on each rental. And this is how it should be. The experience cannot be risk free for the renter. So one split the $4,400 with me, which worked out to be fair as I can recover some maybe through COVID certificate, one I gave a complete refund of the half deposit because he bailed 60 days out. The last one bailed after saying he was not going only a week prior to the date. I can get a coupon and basically, it's work out. Well not really. I want to get out even, and don’t mind losing a little. Still working on that one. There was one that bailed really early, and I gave him next year, keeping the money. I have to work through the certificates to get my money for this year back. I try to be as fair as the conditions warrant.

But the idea is that the Redweek escrow really screws the owner and needs to be changed.

Jb L.

Last edited by jbl3 on Jul 10, 2020 01:14 PM

Jul 10, 2020

Each difficult or unexpected situation provides us with an opportunity to learn and make necessary changes. The following clause has been added to the RedWeek Online Booking rental agreement as of April 8:

IMPORTANT: For rental agreements signed on or after April 8, 2020, the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic is considered a foreseeable risk. The renter, by digitally signing this agreement, hereby acknowledges and accepts the risk that the pandemic may prevent travel or occupancy of the rental unit, and that this will not serve as a basis for requesting a refund. This clause specifically removes the obligation of the owner to provide a habitable unit as described in sections 2 and 12, if the cause is due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

We now also provide a means for the renter and owner to correspond directly with each other and come to a resolution on how they want to handle any unexpected situations. If the owner and renter are in agreement, then we will abide by the terms they have agreed upon.

RedWeek Online Booking has become a very popular option for renters, since it provides the assurance and peace of mind that their money is not disbursed to the owner until two business days after they have checked into the resort.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Jul 11, 2020

If you are a Marriott owner, Marriott is offering "COVID Certificates" (good for Interval weeks during 2021 and I believe 2022 I don't remember), and I don't have one to reference here. If there is anyone who is wondering about this, I would be glad to email or talk about it. You can contact me at jbrosetti@gmail.com and as I see patterns, I will post info here. Basically you just have to call them and they post it to your interval account. the interval account is free for Marriott Owners.

Jb L.

Last edited by jbl3 on Jul 11, 2020 02:30 PM

Jul 11, 2020

From what I understand, the owner would get an Interval Exchange for use in the future. However, these are often loaded with restrictions such as a need to book within 120 days of the use. So, let's say the owner deposits a highly valued and easily rented Newport Coast week. First, it would be highly unlikely he would get into Newport Coast with the imposed use constraint. Second, assuming he was able to get the week he wanted, the owner must use the week - no rental. This is a pretty bad outcome for the owner. This is not much better than the accommodation certificates I sometimes get from Interval for free.

So, while the renter would like a refund, would it be fair to the owner to get less than the equivalent of what he has - in the form of a "highly restricted Interval Accommodation Certificate" for enabling a cancellation and refund?

I want to be fair, so why not stick to the cancellation terms of the rental agreement? Both parties willingly agreed to those conditions.

Redweek's efforts with revisions to the rental agreement and enabling direct communication between renter and owner enhanced the prospect of a timely resolution between owner and renter. Too often, the renter asks for an out at the last minute thereby severely restricting the owners options. Let's just be fair on both sides.

jbl3 wrote:
If you are a Marriott owner, Marriott is offering "COVID Certificates" (good for Interval weeks during 2021 and I believe 2022 I don't remember), and I don't have one to reference here. If there is anyone who is wondering about this, I would be glad to email or talk about it. You can contact me at jbrosetti@gmail.com and as I see patterns, I will post info here. Basically you just have to call them and they post it to your interval account. the interval account is free for Marriott Owners.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jul 12, 2020 09:06 AM

Jul 12, 2020

jbl3 wrote:

Your Interval International certificate — equivalent to a vacation week — will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 10 business days and will have a reduced exchange rate of $99. Additionally, your normal reservation and travel windows have been expanded for use of this certificate. You can check availability for use of this certificate up to 120 days prior to your desired travel date. Vacations must be completed by December 16, 2021, which is when this certificate expires. Plus an Interval account is free ONLY if you are a points owner, legacy week owner still have to pay.... And like Dennis H. said these certificate are full of restrictions and don't worth much...

Pierre M.

Last edited by pm59 on Jul 12, 2020 03:16 PM

Jul 13, 2020

* removed

Jb L.

Last edited by jbl3 on Jul 13, 2020 08:41 PM

Jul 14, 2020

In the end Redweek did the right thing for me. They had been slow to answer but I think they got it together. All of my weeks I rented for 7/5 and 7/12 are in payment status. Hope all goes well for everyone else. Be safe!!!

Paul L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.